April 18, 2014 | 1806 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by lsuchick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't love this product, but i don't hate it. I actually only use it because it doesn't break me out and I'm scared to try something that might. i have oily skin and this doesn't make it worse, but it doesn't help it. It gets off all my makeup and leaves my skin feeling good after i wash it. I'm pretty neutral on this product. I did just buy another bottle, because i was running low. The packaging isn't great, i broke and spilt everywhere. It's gentle. The price is a little expensive but there are a lot others that are much costlier.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2013 9:19:00 AM More reviews by JadoreNelle

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Tried a sample of this oil cleanser. It was my first try at using an oil cleanser. First, off it smells amazing! I love the fresh scent. Second, I found this to be very thick for being a cleansing oil. It broke down most of my makeup, none of it was waterproof except for my Mally liner. It did lack the strength to get off all of my mascara and eyeliner. The name is a bit deceiving. The main ingredient is not argan oil it is cheap safflower oil and sunflower oil. Argan is about 5th on the list of ingredients. Did you know companies are required by law to list ingredients by volume? So the first ingredients on the list make up the main ingredients or the majority ingredients in a product. You could make a vat of this oil yourself for a fraction of the price. Dont invest this kind of money to rub oil on your face that you would fry your food in.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2013 6:18:00 PM More reviews by thechain

This is the best cleansing oil I've ever used.
I first got a sample at Sephora, and once I finished it I went to the store to buy the full-sized bottle. It smells delicious, leaves the skin cleansed and moisturized, and does not irritate any area of my skin. I use it frequently to remove my eye makeup. It works almost instantly! And it causes no problems at all for me and my sensitive eyes.
The minute I'm getting low, I'll buy another bottle of this magic oil.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2013 12:57:00 PM More reviews by yoyocanary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Terrible product. Instead of removing any eye makeup -- non waterproof -- it clumped my lashes together. It's extremely thick, and it feels like it sticks to the skin rather than removing anything. I felt like I had to scrub my face to remove this and then follow up with another cleanser to remove anything else.
It gets two lipsticks because it's not drying, and it smells nice. Otherwise it's awful. I would not recommend, and I returned it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by Nikki08

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As a disclaimer I will announce now that I don't just love to use a cleansing oil. I have tried others and the only one so far I like is Dermalogica but generally it's just not my cup of tea. Moving on, I wanted to love this but it was so heavy and thick. I felt it pulled at my eyes and sat on top of my skin. It also didn't seem to remove all my make up. I did experience some cystic breakouts after using which I'm not sure I can attribute to a reaction to the oil or a it's lack of removing dirt and makeup. Either way, nope I wouldn't recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Sarsar1sar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

The product is great, but the packaging is TERRIBLE. It broke after a week and the oil started coming out from all over the bottle. It is also very expensive. I used to have really dry skin and this helped but I have normal skin now so I will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2013 11:09:00 PM More reviews by elmiwalk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this cleansing oil, this is the first one I've tried, and I am reluctant to change brands due to my sensitive skin. I was hesitant to try it at first based on my thoughts of how can an oil clean oil and makeup off my face? It has definitely helped in clearing some of my acne, and it has not upset my sensitive skin. I am on my 3rd bottle, and will continue to purchase. I wish it was more affordable, but I am pleased enough with it, and it lasts long enough, that I will continue to buy it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

** UPDATED REVIEW ** So after eliminating various products, I realize that this cleanser is not drying my skin out at all! My skin feels softened and deeply cleansed, but not stripped. I haven't broken out at all from this cleanser (which was my main worry) so that is a big deal for me. The broken bottle irritated me so now I feel I am using way too much product as I have to pour it out into my palm rather than using the pump, but other than that this cleanser is really nice. I will buy this again!

** ORIGINAL REVIEW** I love the way this smells, love the way this feels when first applied but unfortunately this leaves my skin so dry that I have to slather on thick moisturizer afterwards to avoid the inevitable tautness. My skin is dry on my cheeks and oily an on my nose and chin (and sometimes my forehead) so it made my dry areas so much drier and made my oily areas feel a little taut.

I have been using a drying sunscreen (Shiseido's Anessa Perfect SPF 50) which could be making things worse, but I have stopped using that to try to get to the bottom of this dryness.

I really want to be able to say that this is a fantastic cleanser...the ingredients are great for skin and I love Josie's ethics regarding her products. I will update this review if I find that it is my sunscreen contributing to my dryness and not this cleanser. I don't use this around my eyes (I do use a separate eye makeup remover) so I don't experience the tugging of skin when massaging this in as other reviewers have mentioned.

I use 5 pumps over my whole face, massage for several seconds, add water, massage again, then rinse. I don't find this is too thick to spread, I actually like how this feels. If it is this cleanser causing my excessive dryness then I won't be buying again.

**UPDATE** The pump on my bottle has broken, after only a few days' use. I now have to tip out a handful of the oil into my palm in order to spread on my face, which gets the product everywhere. I was enjoying using this oil up until now!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by feistyfluxy

Josie Maran's line is based on the "miracle product" argan oil, the oil du jour. The quality of her argan oil is the best, and considering the ethics and the environmental ethos behind Josie Maran Cosmetics, you are getting the best organic quality argan oil for a very competitive price, if you compare to luxury brand Kahina who will charge you $56 for a 200ml cleanser ($32 for 6 oz for Josie). Otherwise, Melvita, a french equivalent of Weleda, has very good quality argan oil at a very affordable price. I digress though, back to the review!
I purchased a trial sample (cleanser, oil. and spf moisturiser) and used this cleanser in USA in the sweltering heat of 37 degrees Celsius (that is 98 in Fahrenheit). I used a small amount and noticed a lovely and light fruity smell and an oil with a very unusual thick and sticky consistency. I decided to use this as a pre-cleanse with a hot flannel.
It removed makeup easily (haven't tried waterproof, but I imagine there would be no problem) and left my skin, soft, smooth and completely clean without tightness. It also removed all excess sebum produced.
I have noticed, you don't need a lot, but it will give you less slip. Whilst this I find is excellent for giving myself a deep cleansing massage, you have to be careful around the eye area, but adding water will produce a milk that allows pleny of slip and removes every last trace of mascara, particularly used with a flannel.
I have used a foaming wash since I started taking care of my skin at the age of 14 (almost 37) and have decided as I am getting little bouts of adult acne to stop the usage of foam producing cleansers and have, as a result much better skin. I am impressed with this cleaner and hope I can easily replace this despite living in the UK! This cleanser is beautiful, easy to use, good for you, ethically and financially.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 9:07:00 AM More reviews by agl112

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm new to cleansing oils and I've been pleasantly surprised with this product. I decided to give it a try after finding that over time my cleanser wasn't helping my ever-increasing dry skin. After looking around at cleansing oil ingredient lists and not wanting to make my own, I found that Josie's had the simplest of ingredient lists and no artificial fragrances which tend to aggravate my skin. You definitely have to follow the instructions to get the best results with this cleansing oil. I've been using this for over a month now and this is what I have found: I apply 3-4 pumps on my palm, rub them together and coat my face including my eyelids and then gently massage onto my face. It's this step that lifts off makeup including eye makeup. So, if you start off using the oil with wet hands and/or wet face, it will not be as effective in makeup removal. Then, I add a little water so that the product emulsifies and turns into a milky consistency and then rinse off. I also use Josie's cleansing cloth and with the muslin side, gently remove the rest of the product from my skin. My face is left smooth, clean, hydrated but not greasy. For reference, I have sensitive skin prone to redness, normal to dry but prone to blemishes. I am in perimenopause which explains why my once oily skin is now much drier and more sensitive, and have had to adjust my skincare routine accordingly. I use an exfoliant daily to keep my skin clear and blemish free: Paula's Choice 1% BHA lotion. I have not had an allergic reaction to the cleansing oil and am quite pleased with it because the cleansers I had been using including Paula's Choice, just were not hydrating enough for my skin. I also use either Josie's Rosey Mist or Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Toner after cleansing, followed by the BHA product and then Josie Maran Argan Oil. This simpler routine has kept my skin hydrated and redness free. Highly recommend this cleansing oil.