July 29, 2014 | 1833 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One-by-One, Waterproof

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2014 2:42:00 PM More reviews by becavare

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just a little bit of background:
I have thin, straight, and fairly light (at least at the tips of my lashes) eyelashes. What I personally look for in a mascara is: volume, nice lash separation and even coating, if it will hold a curl and if it will last the whole day without flaking or waring off.

That being said, I absolutely LOVE this mascara. After years and years of trying out dozens of different mascaras, from drug store mascaras to high-end department store mascaras, I've finally found a mascara that delivers everything I want in a mascara and one that is truly worthy of a 5-star review. I have been buying this mascara over and over again (the water proof kind) since the first time I used it.
Before I even apply this mascara, I first apply one coat of Brow & Lash Growth Accelerator by Ardell. After this coat dries, I curl my lashes with an eyelash curler (this product by Ardell holds a curl wonderfully). I then use a card (from a deck of playing cards) and hold it up against my eyelid, right behind my lashes, and apply this mascara, starting from the outside of my lashes and working my way in, by wiggling the wand slighlty in an upward fashion beginning at the base of my lashes. (BTW, I used the card as a barrier when applying my mascara so that I don't get any on my eyelids). Depending on how much volume and how dark I want my lashes, I may or may not apply a second coat BEFORE my first coat has dried. This mascara takes wonderfully to a second coat, which will give you a more dramatic effect, but one coat of this mascara works beautifully. It separates my eyelashes perfectly, gives incredible volume, and my eyelashes are still left in a perfect curl. I usually will apply it in the afternoon (maybe around 1 pm or so, give or take) and it lasts all day with very minimal flaking by the end of the day.

Just a note: I have actually never used this product without first applying the Ardell product mentioned earlier, so I am not sure whether or not I would get the same results without it. Also, I have never used the non-waterproof kind, so this review is for the waterproof ONLY.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by TarinJade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a nice mascara for my rather skimpy, light colored eyelashes. I have learned not to expect miraculous results from any mascara, so I do rate this one highly based on the fact that it gave a nice, natural look to my eyes and holds up well throughout the day. There is no smudging and only an occasional clump that can be easily brushed away before application. However, I have used two tubes of this mascara and on both tubes the rubber rim around the opening of the tube has loosened and come off with the brush when I unscrew the top. For that reason, I will most likely not purchase this product again. I find it to be on a par with CoverGirl's clumpcrusher mascara, so I will stick with that product from now on.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2014 10:36:00 AM More reviews by GirlyRunnerGirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this mascara. I am in a pool approximately 7 hours a day and this doesn't smudge if I don't run my eyes. I like the natural look for work but wouldn't wear it if I was dressing up because I like a really voluminous look for that. Also can't beat 6 dollars for a great mascara!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 8:22:00 PM More reviews by piercingQuiet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm just slightly disappointed that there isn't as much volume with this formula compared to the original but given that I have stubborn Asian lashes that won't stay curled whatsoever, this formula surprisingly held a curl all day and it lengthens pretty well for me. So far I have a got few questions asking me if I was wearing fake lashes which is really flattering considering that I'm actually only wearing a cheap drugstore mascara along with the fact that my natural eyelashes are not in any means long.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by Staaarlit

Price - about $6

Performance - Not that strong in the waterproof/smudge-proof department, but it does last a long time before smudges start to show along the rims of lower eyelashes (and no it's not my eyeliner because these smudges have appeared on days when I wear solely this mascara).

Volume? Not really. Just about average. You could certainly build up more than what it delivers from the first swipe but you better be swift because this formula dries fast and stiffens the lashes pretty quickly.

Curl? What I dislike is that for some odd damn reason, the formula drags down my lashes. I'm Asian, blessed with thin, straight lashes (yeah, awesome right?). The eyelash curler is my lashes' best friend, and this mascara is my eyelash curler's foe. Any curl I create in the beginning of my application ends up withering downward after a few hours.
I know it's advertised for volume, so of course I don't expect it to help with anything other than volume. But when it has adverse effects while failing to successfully deliver its promise...it's a no go.

Color? I got it in Blackest Black, but the color is definitely not that black. There just isn't enough oomph to the blackness.

Overall - I wouldn't repurchase. Recommend? I don't know. It might work for you as long as you don't have straight lashes like mine!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2014 12:04:00 AM More reviews by kacie822

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing product! I have very short asian eyelashes and when I use my revlon curler and this my lashes look amazing! The waterproof holds curl all day and it really separates and lengthens well. I use this on an everyday basis! Only complaint is the packaging. Not sure if it's the tube I got but the one I have the little stopper thing comes out when you pull out the wand a lot. Other than perfect!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Amazzinvila

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

HG mascara!!! In love with this stuff! It separates my lashes so well! and it gives you amazing volume!! i wish the length was better, but i mix this mascara a little with another for length like the revlon lash potion. && its amazing, looks like natural falsies!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by tigerlily217

I wanted a basic mascara that will darken my lashes, not smudge or give me raccoon eyes, and holds a curl. I went on a hunt for just an average mascara that's cheap and this has pretty good reviews overall. I am thoroughly disappointed with this mascara. First of all, the wand is big, why the hell do I need a wand that big? Makes it smear onto my eyelids or around the eye area. The formula is quite wet and it seems to separate my lashes quite nicely. It looks decent when first applied but after a couple hours this stuff smears so badly onto the lower portion of my eye especially the outer corner. I need something that won't make me look like an idiot because I don't have time to check up on my makeup at work. I ended up having an embarrassing moment at work when I finally saw the havoc it created after three hours. God knows what people around me were thinking.. Probably thought I don't even know how to apply makeup properly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by PurpleCupcake87

Very nice mascara I picked this up in waterproof blackest black at Winco foods and it's obviously more of a separator mascara. The wand is fat in the middle and thin on the ends. With my Mac cleanse off oil it's super easy to remove at night so no issues there. And the formula is nice and wet. I did notice that at the end of the day my lashes felt a teeny bit weighed down but it could could be because I load up in morning and add some more out of habit throughout the day. Does hold a beautiful curl and my lashes are naturally long that they touch my eyebrows with mascara on

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2013 9:07:00 PM More reviews by SeekingFor

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

the brush is too big and gets all over so i used a different brush and it was okay. it doesn't run and holds a curl but goes on thin and dries out quickly.