November 23, 2014 | 1962 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by makeupmonarch17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This product is fabulous! I am a natural blonde but my hair was starting to get darker over time but after I started using this spray it brought lots of colour back. Thanks to all the go blonder products my hair has stayed a bright natural blonde whereas if I hadn't used them my hair would be brunette by now. It is absolutely fantastic so if you need something to keep or lighten your blonde hair the I 100% recommend this!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by katiejean48

As many others have said I do not usually write reviews but after the disastrous effect of using this product I feel I need to warn others NOT TO USE IT!

In august I got highlights put in my hair. I am naturally a dark blonde/light brown but I had dyed my hair various other colours prior to this so it was quite over processed. My hairdresser told me to leave it alone for awhile as it needed to recover from all the dying. I did treat my hair really well, stayed away from heat styling tools and used moisturising treatments.

However, when my darker roots started to come though go bought this spray thinking it would be a less harmful way to touch up my roots. HOW WRONG I WAS!

Like others have mentioned, at first this product works wonders and really helps to maintain a lovely blonde colour. However, over the last week I have noticed that front parts of my hair look very frazzled and then my hair started to drop out! I have used a few hair masks and I have bought redken's diamond oil to try and repair the damage (as protein needs to be restored to the hair that has been lost through using the spray). Only time will tell if it is repairable!

The only thing I can do now is have the damage cut off so I have booked into the hairdressers for next week. But my hair is quite short already so I am probably going to have to have it cut into a bob which I really don't want!

I think the damage has only just really set in as I only just began using my hair dryer and straighteners again, and as the spray is heat activated I think it causes extra damage to the hair.

I just hope that my hair isn't beyond repair. Frankly the way it looks now is embarrassing and it's made me very self-conscious. The long-term effects of this product are just not worth it. Please stay AWAY!

I will be posting on my blog about how the treatments are going if anybody needs advise. You can visit it at www.kjg-moijejoue.blogspot.co.uk

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2013 7:48:00 PM More reviews by Princesa7

This pruduct is definitely a love it or hate it!!!

I went blonde in May of this year and a few weeks ago a friend of mine who is no longer blonde gave me this.

I have used it 1x so far and it brightened up my hair nicely to the point I'd only use this maybe 1x a month if even that.

I'm no stranger to products like this. I was blonde as a child and my hair turned medium brown around the age of 10 wich my mom around 11 let me get professional blonde highlights and from that point on around 12 I would use Sun In for added lightening etc.....I know the horrid damage products like that and this can do!(its not pretty)

At 16 I went back to being a brunette,then went black,then red and then back to my natural color brown since my 20's and now at 38 back to blonde lol so yes I know damaged hair lol

This product worked fine for me that 1x I used it and it really brightened up my hair but my hair did feel drier so also based on that I would use this sparingly anyway.

To sum it up-if you use this product don't go nuts with it and use it a lot....cuz if you do expect really bad damage!!! **use this sparingly IMO that works best**

*Update on 8/20/13 no longer using this I went back to being a brunette

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by hennesgm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just ended up having to cut up my mid-back length hair up to a bob to try and get rid of the frazzled mess that it now is thanks to this DEVILS POISON! So just hoping it will grow out now.

I have spent hundreds on leave in treatments etc, but its like I now have mutant hair resistant to anything else! Although maybe if I hadn't used them it would be worse?

ALso its so frazzled it wont take a curl with wants or anything, is effectively there is NOTHING to do but wait....

When I see this on shop shelves it makes me want to cry thinking that they can get away with it.
Please dont use it. PLEASE

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/28/2013 9:44:00 PM More reviews by ckorolev

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the first product I have ever reviewed, however based on the damage caused to my hair, I felt it was my duty to warn other ppl who may be using this, or consider using it!!!! I always read product reviews on makeupalley prior to usage, so I was well aware of the numerous postings of how much damage this product caused. With that being said, I typically still like to try things even if other people have had negative experiences just because there are often other factors at play, such as already damaged, porous hair (etc.) Needless to say-this is the last time I will not pay attention to so many negative comments, typically when there is smoke there is fire!!! I am a cross between dark blonde/light brown hair naturally, with almost platinum salon-dyed hair. I have been on a budget lately, so I have been using store bought boxed dyes. I figured this would be cool to try, just on my roots and maybe add some a few different shades. Although my hair is dyed, it is in fairly good shape thanks to a good diet, vitamins, exercise, and various hair masks I do. After my first usage of this product, I saw no difference in the color, however the product specifies a few times is necessary to see results. Immediately after usage, the texture of my hair changed and was incredibly dry, but I figured extra conditioning was necessary, as expected after using any dye. The third day after using this product JUST ONE TIME, I washed my hair and let's just say I almost had a panic attack based on how much hair I lost. Chunks and chunks of hair fell out and now, the top layer of my hair is now about five inches long, with the rest of my hair being past my shoulders. Not to mention, the top layer of hair is not only broken but it is incredibly raggedy, dry, and I have a crap-load of tiny hairs sticking up. This is a disaster, my hair looks absolutely terrible!!! Please be advised, I did not over-saturate my hair with the bleach, in fact I was very conservative with the amount I put on my hair. It has looked so terrible that I have even researched getting a wig for work and when I go out just so I can let me hair fully recover and grow out. Please, please, please anyone who is considering using this product please don't!!! There are plenty of alternatives that will not ravage your hair!! For anyone who is in the same boat as me, I laid off the shampoo, rinsed my hair with green tea, and did an egg mask for 20 minutes (2 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, one cup of water) this has seemed to help strengthen my hair and I will repeat this at least once a week. I hope this helps someone make the same mistake I have!!! Good luck!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 4:48:00 AM More reviews by KristinaDeForce

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This product made me so angry. I used it for about a year, and first I thought it was amazing for quickly retouching up my routs. My boyfriend gave me a lot of compliments about the color being so amazing, so I continued using it. After a few months I noticed that I was drastically LOSING HAIR! It looked dead, burned; my hairdresser was in shock when I came to the salon. After my ''lion's mane'', I was left with one third of my hair still on my head. This is the WORST possible thing you could do to your hair! Don't even think about buying it!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by orangestinks62

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have only used this a few times on my roots. i won't use it again, because of all the negative reviews on here. sure, it will work well in the beginning and then the damage can show up later. but i want to dispel the rumors on the internet about metallic salts in this product. unless one of the words in the ingredient list is another name for a metallic salt, i don't see it, so that would not be the reason for all the damage. i think the reason for the damage could be the combination of peroxide and citric acid. spraying that on your hair could open the cuticle too much and leave it rough, porous and prone to breakage. i tossed mine.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2013 7:25:00 AM More reviews by alimce

This is the first review I've ever written online about anything but my horror at what this product has done to my hair has led me here! It should be immediately recalled, the info on the packaging is completely misleading and it actually burns hair!
Having missed my regular hair appointment and not being able to get it rescheduled for 3 weeks, my roots were beginning to show so I thought Id get a short term solution and bought this product to tide me over. Initially I received a few comments saying how lovely the colour of hair was, it was much brighter than normal (my hair can look quite flat when it is need of a colour). So I actually was thinking this is a great product for between salon appointments so I continued to use it every few months about 6 weeks after Id get my hair professionally coloured.
After about 9-12months I noticed the texture of my hair deteroriating just in the area where Id been using the spray. I thought it must be straighteners or the mouuse Id been using so I stopped using them. However the area of bad condition just got worse. I then narrowed it down to it being the spray as it was too coincidental that it was just the area Id used the spray that was damaged. Needless to say I threw out the remainder of the bottle to make sure Id never be tempted again.
I am now left with a very visible area of my hair clearly burnt looking. I am treating it every other night with an oil treatment and expensive hair care products trying to restore it. My hairdresser said I just have to patient and let it grow out and trim it as often as my hairstyle allows.
Anyway moral of this story is, never buy or use this product, it is highly damaging and obviously wasnt subjected to rigorous tesing prior to launch. I would go as far as to say John Frieda should not only be refunding customers who have bought it but compensate for the damage.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2013 7:13:00 AM More reviews by michiru85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Huh, I came to check out the reviews and was surprised by how many of them were bad. I only use this about twice a month. My ends are hi lighted but I want to keep my roots blonde ish. I only wash my hair 2 times per week. I uses sulfate free shampoo and cone free conditioner and no heat. I don't even own a hairdryer. 1 day before I go to shower I put some on when my hair is all oily. I don't leave the house with it on (or I wear a hat). This is probably the only damaging thing I use on my hair which is probably why my hair is still ok. It is a few inches below my elbows, I'm trying to grow past tailbone.
I know this isn't going to do my hair any favorers health wise but I can't imaging this is any more damaging then getting hair lightened at a stylist. When ever color is changed (with the exception of henna) damage will be done. After $300 with a stylist ruining my hair I'll definitely stick with this. If anyone wants good advice on how to care for hair I suggest google ing The Long Hair Community.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by kkelly418

Bought this product about a year & a half ago because I was a dark blonde looking to go lighter and was afraid of completely dying it. First I'd like to say that I never abused this product and used it carefully & stopped when I got my hair to the color I wanted. I looked up reviews and things seemed fine, however my hair dresser seemed weary. But, because of the approving comments, I went for it. WORST DECISION EVER. Now don't get me wrong, in the beginning, this stuff was MAGICAL. My hair was still growing, it was perfectly blonde, and I was getting compliments 24/7. At this point my confidence was booming and I had FINALLY had the long blonde mermaid hair I always wanted.

Well.... Just in the past 4 months, the damage has begun to set in. My long blonde silky hair has turned into absolute dry frizz and breakage. My dad described it as looking like my hair went through a paper shredder. & There is no doubt that this product is to blame especially since the damage is on the lighter part of my hair and my hair is fine again up where it's darker (new growth).

Before you write this off as nothing, I want you to put yourself in my shoes and DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE YOUR HAIR. This product is more than damaging, actually. It's started to break off in chunks. And what didnt break off, was fried. I went to my hair dresser and she said she had never seen anything like it and it was so bad she has to cut it and bring it back to my natural color. Now, my once beautiful mermaid hair is short again, after so much patience trying to grow it out AND it's back to it's normal color. I literally cried when she was cutting it off. Oh, and btw, my hair was so bad, she wasn't able to cut it all off. Not only is it short and dark again, there are still damaged sections would require me to get a bob if I wanted to get rid of then. So I'm gonna have to go back monthly and cut half and inch off in order to discard all of the nasty effects this product has caused. So, basically, it's going to take a LONG time to grow my hair out again. Oh and all of this happened just in time for my senioe pictures -_- SO PLEASE, don't do this to yourself. The year of happiness it causes is not worth what it does to your hair in the long run. I believe a lot of the positive reviews are by people who haven't had this product longer than a year. Heck, I would have given this product 5 stars a year ago too...

But I wish I could have found some reviews before I bought this stuff so I would have known not to use it.. It's not worth it at all. Save your hair and go to a professional I'd you're looking to lighten it.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No