September 17, 2014 | 1270 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by hennesgm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just ended up having to cut up my mid-back length hair up to a bob to try and get rid of the frazzled mess that it now is thanks to this DEVILS POISON! So just hoping it will grow out now.

I have spent hundreds on leave in treatments etc, but its like I now have mutant hair resistant to anything else! Although maybe if I hadn't used them it would be worse?

ALso its so frazzled it wont take a curl with wants or anything, is effectively there is NOTHING to do but wait....

When I see this on shop shelves it makes me want to cry thinking that they can get away with it.
Please dont use it. PLEASE

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/28/2013 9:44:00 PM More reviews by ckorolev

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the first product I have ever reviewed, however based on the damage caused to my hair, I felt it was my duty to warn other ppl who may be using this, or consider using it!!!! I always read product reviews on makeupalley prior to usage, so I was well aware of the numerous postings of how much damage this product caused. With that being said, I typically still like to try things even if other people have had negative experiences just because there are often other factors at play, such as already damaged, porous hair (etc.) Needless to say-this is the last time I will not pay attention to so many negative comments, typically when there is smoke there is fire!!! I am a cross between dark blonde/light brown hair naturally, with almost platinum salon-dyed hair. I have been on a budget lately, so I have been using store bought boxed dyes. I figured this would be cool to try, just on my roots and maybe add some a few different shades. Although my hair is dyed, it is in fairly good shape thanks to a good diet, vitamins, exercise, and various hair masks I do. After my first usage of this product, I saw no difference in the color, however the product specifies a few times is necessary to see results. Immediately after usage, the texture of my hair changed and was incredibly dry, but I figured extra conditioning was necessary, as expected after using any dye. The third day after using this product JUST ONE TIME, I washed my hair and let's just say I almost had a panic attack based on how much hair I lost. Chunks and chunks of hair fell out and now, the top layer of my hair is now about five inches long, with the rest of my hair being past my shoulders. Not to mention, the top layer of hair is not only broken but it is incredibly raggedy, dry, and I have a crap-load of tiny hairs sticking up. This is a disaster, my hair looks absolutely terrible!!! Please be advised, I did not over-saturate my hair with the bleach, in fact I was very conservative with the amount I put on my hair. It has looked so terrible that I have even researched getting a wig for work and when I go out just so I can let me hair fully recover and grow out. Please, please, please anyone who is considering using this product please don't!!! There are plenty of alternatives that will not ravage your hair!! For anyone who is in the same boat as me, I laid off the shampoo, rinsed my hair with green tea, and did an egg mask for 20 minutes (2 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, one cup of water) this has seemed to help strengthen my hair and I will repeat this at least once a week. I hope this helps someone make the same mistake I have!!! Good luck!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 4:48:00 AM More reviews by KristinaDeForce

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This product made me so angry. I used it for about a year, and first I thought it was amazing for quickly retouching up my routs. My boyfriend gave me a lot of compliments about the color being so amazing, so I continued using it. After a few months I noticed that I was drastically LOSING HAIR! It looked dead, burned; my hairdresser was in shock when I came to the salon. After my ''lion's mane'', I was left with one third of my hair still on my head. This is the WORST possible thing you could do to your hair! Don't even think about buying it!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by orangestinks62

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have only used this a few times on my roots. i won't use it again, because of all the negative reviews on here. sure, it will work well in the beginning and then the damage can show up later. but i want to dispel the rumors on the internet about metallic salts in this product. unless one of the words in the ingredient list is another name for a metallic salt, i don't see it, so that would not be the reason for all the damage. i think the reason for the damage could be the combination of peroxide and citric acid. spraying that on your hair could open the cuticle too much and leave it rough, porous and prone to breakage. i tossed mine.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2013 7:25:00 AM More reviews by alimce

This is the first review I've ever written online about anything but my horror at what this product has done to my hair has led me here! It should be immediately recalled, the info on the packaging is completely misleading and it actually burns hair!
Having missed my regular hair appointment and not being able to get it rescheduled for 3 weeks, my roots were beginning to show so I thought Id get a short term solution and bought this product to tide me over. Initially I received a few comments saying how lovely the colour of hair was, it was much brighter than normal (my hair can look quite flat when it is need of a colour). So I actually was thinking this is a great product for between salon appointments so I continued to use it every few months about 6 weeks after Id get my hair professionally coloured.
After about 9-12months I noticed the texture of my hair deteroriating just in the area where Id been using the spray. I thought it must be straighteners or the mouuse Id been using so I stopped using them. However the area of bad condition just got worse. I then narrowed it down to it being the spray as it was too coincidental that it was just the area Id used the spray that was damaged. Needless to say I threw out the remainder of the bottle to make sure Id never be tempted again.
I am now left with a very visible area of my hair clearly burnt looking. I am treating it every other night with an oil treatment and expensive hair care products trying to restore it. My hairdresser said I just have to patient and let it grow out and trim it as often as my hairstyle allows.
Anyway moral of this story is, never buy or use this product, it is highly damaging and obviously wasnt subjected to rigorous tesing prior to launch. I would go as far as to say John Frieda should not only be refunding customers who have bought it but compensate for the damage.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2013 7:13:00 AM More reviews by michiru85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Huh, I came to check out the reviews and was surprised by how many of them were bad. I only use this about twice a month. My ends are hi lighted but I want to keep my roots blonde ish. I only wash my hair 2 times per week. I uses sulfate free shampoo and cone free conditioner and no heat. I don't even own a hairdryer. 1 day before I go to shower I put some on when my hair is all oily. I don't leave the house with it on (or I wear a hat). This is probably the only damaging thing I use on my hair which is probably why my hair is still ok. It is a few inches below my elbows, I'm trying to grow past tailbone.
I know this isn't going to do my hair any favorers health wise but I can't imaging this is any more damaging then getting hair lightened at a stylist. When ever color is changed (with the exception of henna) damage will be done. After $300 with a stylist ruining my hair I'll definitely stick with this. If anyone wants good advice on how to care for hair I suggest google ing The Long Hair Community.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by kkelly418

Bought this product about a year & a half ago because I was a dark blonde looking to go lighter and was afraid of completely dying it. First I'd like to say that I never abused this product and used it carefully & stopped when I got my hair to the color I wanted. I looked up reviews and things seemed fine, however my hair dresser seemed weary. But, because of the approving comments, I went for it. WORST DECISION EVER. Now don't get me wrong, in the beginning, this stuff was MAGICAL. My hair was still growing, it was perfectly blonde, and I was getting compliments 24/7. At this point my confidence was booming and I had FINALLY had the long blonde mermaid hair I always wanted.

Well.... Just in the past 4 months, the damage has begun to set in. My long blonde silky hair has turned into absolute dry frizz and breakage. My dad described it as looking like my hair went through a paper shredder. & There is no doubt that this product is to blame especially since the damage is on the lighter part of my hair and my hair is fine again up where it's darker (new growth).

Before you write this off as nothing, I want you to put yourself in my shoes and DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE YOUR HAIR. This product is more than damaging, actually. It's started to break off in chunks. And what didnt break off, was fried. I went to my hair dresser and she said she had never seen anything like it and it was so bad she has to cut it and bring it back to my natural color. Now, my once beautiful mermaid hair is short again, after so much patience trying to grow it out AND it's back to it's normal color. I literally cried when she was cutting it off. Oh, and btw, my hair was so bad, she wasn't able to cut it all off. Not only is it short and dark again, there are still damaged sections would require me to get a bob if I wanted to get rid of then. So I'm gonna have to go back monthly and cut half and inch off in order to discard all of the nasty effects this product has caused. So, basically, it's going to take a LONG time to grow my hair out again. Oh and all of this happened just in time for my senioe pictures -_- SO PLEASE, don't do this to yourself. The year of happiness it causes is not worth what it does to your hair in the long run. I believe a lot of the positive reviews are by people who haven't had this product longer than a year. Heck, I would have given this product 5 stars a year ago too...

But I wish I could have found some reviews before I bought this stuff so I would have known not to use it.. It's not worth it at all. Save your hair and go to a professional I'd you're looking to lighten it.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Kpmuzzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Exactly as the previous review :( when I first started to use this product I loved it, I used it to lighten my roots so I wasn't dying my hair to often :/. But after a period of time as my hair grew I noticed my hair was getting really crunchy when dry and squishy/overly stretchy when wet (about fringe length all the way round the top layer of hair). I started using treatments/conditioners but eventually the hair to the front broke off : O!! And has now broke in a few other areas. The areas that diddnt break are now porous and my hair can be hard to manage. I do use the John Freida sheer blonde enhancing shampoo and conditioner (I also alternate the conditioner with the moisturising version too) which helps mend porus areas and this is the only way I can make my hair manageable (go figure, one damages and another helps). Wish I had never used it :*( just don't use it it will ruin your hair!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 7:44:00 PM More reviews by xoxoVictoriak

Im afraid to leave a good review of this product. Contrary to what everyone is saying, I rather enjoyed it. I usually use Sun-in in the summer to lighten my hair to the shade I like, then get stuck with roots for the winter. I have pretty thick, pin straight medium blonde hair and Ive been using the lightening spray for roughly 2 years now and have never really found an issue with it other than after the first use. I use the John Frieda blonde shampoos and conditioners and the towel dry my hair ( in the wrap) for about 30 min, then blow dry using the spray and finish with a flat iron. the only thing I find is that after the first use it feels a little dry, but I just spray Garnier "triple-nourish finishing spray" on it and its fine. I would recommend to anyone looking to buy this product for the first time, be aware that it takes a few uses to show a dramatic colour change, and myself having long hair it usually takes me 5-6 applications to achieve the coulour I desire.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2013 5:34:00 AM More reviews by ChanelSaysSimon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff isn't as horrible as people say but it isn't great either. People that have horror stories and comments about the product ruining their hair most likely over used the product. Keep in mind that the bottle clearly states that it contains hydrogen peroxide which makes the lightening effect but can also damage your hair severely. This product is for people whose hair is in extremely great condition and don't abuse the product. The product WILL lighten your hair and WILL dry it out as well so I would not recommend this to anyone with dry or damaged hair like mine. I used it only once it had a weird smell but it's not too strong. It makes your hair feel kind of dirty after using the blow dryer and straightener. I might use it again occasionally with a deep conditioner but I definitely wouldn't buy it again or use it on a daily basis. In fact healthy had or not I wouldn't recommend anyone to use this every day.