August 1, 2014 | 1974 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2013 7:25:00 AM More reviews by alimce

This is the first review I've ever written online about anything but my horror at what this product has done to my hair has led me here! It should be immediately recalled, the info on the packaging is completely misleading and it actually burns hair!
Having missed my regular hair appointment and not being able to get it rescheduled for 3 weeks, my roots were beginning to show so I thought Id get a short term solution and bought this product to tide me over. Initially I received a few comments saying how lovely the colour of hair was, it was much brighter than normal (my hair can look quite flat when it is need of a colour). So I actually was thinking this is a great product for between salon appointments so I continued to use it every few months about 6 weeks after Id get my hair professionally coloured.
After about 9-12months I noticed the texture of my hair deteroriating just in the area where Id been using the spray. I thought it must be straighteners or the mouuse Id been using so I stopped using them. However the area of bad condition just got worse. I then narrowed it down to it being the spray as it was too coincidental that it was just the area Id used the spray that was damaged. Needless to say I threw out the remainder of the bottle to make sure Id never be tempted again.
I am now left with a very visible area of my hair clearly burnt looking. I am treating it every other night with an oil treatment and expensive hair care products trying to restore it. My hairdresser said I just have to patient and let it grow out and trim it as often as my hairstyle allows.
Anyway moral of this story is, never buy or use this product, it is highly damaging and obviously wasnt subjected to rigorous tesing prior to launch. I would go as far as to say John Frieda should not only be refunding customers who have bought it but compensate for the damage.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2013 7:13:00 AM More reviews by michiru85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Huh, I came to check out the reviews and was surprised by how many of them were bad. I only use this about twice a month. My ends are hi lighted but I want to keep my roots blonde ish. I only wash my hair 2 times per week. I uses sulfate free shampoo and cone free conditioner and no heat. I don't even own a hairdryer. 1 day before I go to shower I put some on when my hair is all oily. I don't leave the house with it on (or I wear a hat). This is probably the only damaging thing I use on my hair which is probably why my hair is still ok. It is a few inches below my elbows, I'm trying to grow past tailbone.
I know this isn't going to do my hair any favorers health wise but I can't imaging this is any more damaging then getting hair lightened at a stylist. When ever color is changed (with the exception of henna) damage will be done. After $300 with a stylist ruining my hair I'll definitely stick with this. If anyone wants good advice on how to care for hair I suggest google ing The Long Hair Community.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by kkelly418

Bought this product about a year & a half ago because I was a dark blonde looking to go lighter and was afraid of completely dying it. First I'd like to say that I never abused this product and used it carefully & stopped when I got my hair to the color I wanted. I looked up reviews and things seemed fine, however my hair dresser seemed weary. But, because of the approving comments, I went for it. WORST DECISION EVER. Now don't get me wrong, in the beginning, this stuff was MAGICAL. My hair was still growing, it was perfectly blonde, and I was getting compliments 24/7. At this point my confidence was booming and I had FINALLY had the long blonde mermaid hair I always wanted.

Well.... Just in the past 4 months, the damage has begun to set in. My long blonde silky hair has turned into absolute dry frizz and breakage. My dad described it as looking like my hair went through a paper shredder. & There is no doubt that this product is to blame especially since the damage is on the lighter part of my hair and my hair is fine again up where it's darker (new growth).

Before you write this off as nothing, I want you to put yourself in my shoes and DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE YOUR HAIR. This product is more than damaging, actually. It's started to break off in chunks. And what didnt break off, was fried. I went to my hair dresser and she said she had never seen anything like it and it was so bad she has to cut it and bring it back to my natural color. Now, my once beautiful mermaid hair is short again, after so much patience trying to grow it out AND it's back to it's normal color. I literally cried when she was cutting it off. Oh, and btw, my hair was so bad, she wasn't able to cut it all off. Not only is it short and dark again, there are still damaged sections would require me to get a bob if I wanted to get rid of then. So I'm gonna have to go back monthly and cut half and inch off in order to discard all of the nasty effects this product has caused. So, basically, it's going to take a LONG time to grow my hair out again. Oh and all of this happened just in time for my senioe pictures -_- SO PLEASE, don't do this to yourself. The year of happiness it causes is not worth what it does to your hair in the long run. I believe a lot of the positive reviews are by people who haven't had this product longer than a year. Heck, I would have given this product 5 stars a year ago too...

But I wish I could have found some reviews before I bought this stuff so I would have known not to use it.. It's not worth it at all. Save your hair and go to a professional I'd you're looking to lighten it.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Kpmuzzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Exactly as the previous review :( when I first started to use this product I loved it, I used it to lighten my roots so I wasn't dying my hair to often :/. But after a period of time as my hair grew I noticed my hair was getting really crunchy when dry and squishy/overly stretchy when wet (about fringe length all the way round the top layer of hair). I started using treatments/conditioners but eventually the hair to the front broke off : O!! And has now broke in a few other areas. The areas that diddnt break are now porous and my hair can be hard to manage. I do use the John Freida sheer blonde enhancing shampoo and conditioner (I also alternate the conditioner with the moisturising version too) which helps mend porus areas and this is the only way I can make my hair manageable (go figure, one damages and another helps). Wish I had never used it :*( just don't use it it will ruin your hair!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 7:44:00 PM More reviews by xoxoVictoriak

Im afraid to leave a good review of this product. Contrary to what everyone is saying, I rather enjoyed it. I usually use Sun-in in the summer to lighten my hair to the shade I like, then get stuck with roots for the winter. I have pretty thick, pin straight medium blonde hair and Ive been using the lightening spray for roughly 2 years now and have never really found an issue with it other than after the first use. I use the John Frieda blonde shampoos and conditioners and the towel dry my hair ( in the wrap) for about 30 min, then blow dry using the spray and finish with a flat iron. the only thing I find is that after the first use it feels a little dry, but I just spray Garnier "triple-nourish finishing spray" on it and its fine. I would recommend to anyone looking to buy this product for the first time, be aware that it takes a few uses to show a dramatic colour change, and myself having long hair it usually takes me 5-6 applications to achieve the coulour I desire.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2013 5:34:00 AM More reviews by ChanelSaysSimon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff isn't as horrible as people say but it isn't great either. People that have horror stories and comments about the product ruining their hair most likely over used the product. Keep in mind that the bottle clearly states that it contains hydrogen peroxide which makes the lightening effect but can also damage your hair severely. This product is for people whose hair is in extremely great condition and don't abuse the product. The product WILL lighten your hair and WILL dry it out as well so I would not recommend this to anyone with dry or damaged hair like mine. I used it only once it had a weird smell but it's not too strong. It makes your hair feel kind of dirty after using the blow dryer and straightener. I might use it again occasionally with a deep conditioner but I definitely wouldn't buy it again or use it on a daily basis. In fact healthy had or not I wouldn't recommend anyone to use this every day.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by sarahholman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This ruined my hair. I had honey blonde hair which I thought was in very decent condition. After spraying sections to create streaks and blow drying as per the directions my hair began to break off in chunks. PLEASE think twic before purchasing. I realize some people have had Good luck but why take the risk? I have spent 60$ in hair reconstructors and conditioners to try to ease the damage. Last time i cheap Out. Beware!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2013 6:38:00 AM More reviews by MelihaP

I am almost scared to leave a positive review of this product as many people have had such bad experiences. So I will try to explain really well why I like it and hope nobody thinks I'm an airhead who is dancing in the clouds before reality hits me...

I have honestly been using this spray for two whole years now. I am a dark blonde, my hair is quite fine and thin and has never been something I was hugely proud of - it is not one of my best features. So...quite normal hair I would say. I wanted to lighten my hair about 2-3 shades and I first used this spray all over my hair, from root to end, every time I washed my hair. That would be every 2-3 days. I then blow dried it and used a hair straightener to make the most out of the lightening effect. I did this maybe 4 times. My hair got as light as I wanted it so I stopped using the spray until I needed to lighten my roots and I have been doing only that ever since. I just blow dry it after. I still wash my hair every 2-3 days and I use a natural shampoo and conditioner that give moisture to the hair. I use the TRESemme - Heat Defence Styling Spray every time I blow dry my hair and I nearly never use heat tools. I have never experienced any of the problems mentioned except for my hair being somewhat dry now and then when I used it all over my hair, but mostly, it is quite shiny and very soft - THAT has to do with the TRESemme spray alone, I have to admit. But if I don't blow dry it, and don't put anything in after washing it, it is still soft and shiny (but FLAT). I for one would be very sad if this product went away because going to the hair dresser here is VERY expensive. Or I would have to die it at home and I really hate doing that.

One tip: do not use a lot at a time. You don't need to soak your hair in it. Be patient and let the color lighten over time.

If you are scared to try - don't do it. Better safe than sorry.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/8/2013 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Bippityboppityboo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I wish I could take all these bottles off every store shelf. I hate hate hate this spray. Sure it looks pretty for the first three days. But then it faded and barely was there. Maybe left an orange tone but nothing much. Just like the other reviewers said, it destroyed my healthy virgin hair. I barely use heat, deep condition weekly, etc and this bs took my healthy away from me. I sprayed it on my top hairs so I recently just cut pieces of my hair out that were the worst. I look like I have layers so its fine but still. What is this scary crap?

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by lawcat

This product will ruin your hair. I have dark blonde hair. This has turned my hair, very gradually, into straw. No it does not fall out, but it has become dry and wiry at the ends, and especially damaged in certain areas. I have gone more than a month without using it at times. It took a year for me to see the damage, but now that it has come, my only course of action is to cut it off, and I mean all off. I have only used sparingly but something about this product is very damaging. As others have said, there is no product to repair the damage this spray causes.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No