MAC Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum

4.4

Water/Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Squalane, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Polianthes Tuberousa (Tuberose) Extract, Hydrolyzed Rice Bran Extract, Silk Powder\Serica\Poudre de Soie, Tourmaline, Xanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Polyglyceryl-5 Oleate, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Potassium Nitrate, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Citrate, Phenoxythanol, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Benzoate [December 12, 2010]

on 5/4/2012 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an antioxidant skin care product, rather than a foundation primer. I finally bought it and am not a bit sorry, despite the insane (to me) price, because it leaves my face feeling like silk. It's a clear-to-translucent-white serum that goes on wet and somewhat sticky, but I only need to use a dime-size puddle of it, and after absorbing it doesn't leave any white streaks, tackiness, or greasiness. (Obviously you can't put foundation on right after applying this -- it needs several minutes to sink in.) It has a slight fresh scent, it doesn't contain parabens or silicones or oils or irritating fragrances, the ascorbyl glucoside in it is apparently a more stable form of vitamin C than the L-ascorbic acid in some other serums, and the opaque black pump bottle should keep the active ingredients from spoiling. Most important, the texture of my skin is now the finest I've had in a few years -- this serum has smoothed and calmed my skin very noticeably, and gives no sign of causing or increasing any of the minor breakouts/bumpiness/roughness/redness I sometimes get. Overall this has improved the clarity of my complexion already. The one major drawback is the price. With that in mind, I'm only using it every other day, but it works well enough for me that the benefits are evident anyway. Excellent product.

on 4/25/2012 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

This product is awesome in the summer for a variety of uses, but as a real face primer, not really.

Usually I use a Silicone based primer, but in the summer it just looks bad on my skin. Some days I use this and put a tinted moisturizer over it, or just wear it alone. It really does brighten my skin, and its good to have in my makeup bag.

The price is just awful!! It is a quality purchase, but it hurts a bit when you go to re up on it. Especially when you think about how much product you actually get. Sigh.

This is what I was looking for and I finally find it!
This serum contains vitamin C wich is great to use during the day cause it has antioxidants that fight free radicals and helps skin looks healthy, young and nice, It makes my skin feels so soft and glowy.

Well its a PRE PRIMER, so if you want your fundation last all day you should use a primer after it. I have the perfect instant smooth of CLARINS.

The bottle where it comes is dark wich is great cause the serum doesnīt get oxidized.

Definitly i would repurchase it again.Itīs expensive but Itīs a great product!

I love this serum!!!
Despite the fact that the box is glittery and the name says "Skin Brightening" this is *not* ones of those shimmery/luminescent products. I think when they say "skin brightening" they are referring to the amount of vitamin C included (which is high up on the ingredient list and will help in evening out skintone). .

Previously, I've used Olay's Fragrance-free Regenerist Serum and while I was generally happy with it, I really needed something a bit more light with less silicones because I also use sunscreen everyday so the lighter the product, the less oily I get throughout the day. Compared to the Olay, this stuff is more of a liquidy-gel without 'cones!!

Another reason I would re-purchase over the Olay is because of all the anti-oxidants in this formula. While Olay's only contained Vitamain E and Niacin, MAC's serum has Vitamin C, Green Tea,and Gentian Root extract which is an anti-inflammatory ingredient that is given a good rating on beautypedia. Good to know for people like me who have sensitive skin and issues with flushing and redness :)

So, let's talk about actually using this as a primer for foundation. Now, if you have large pores, dry skin, uneven texture, etc. I doubt this will be your go-to product for foundation prep. That is one area where I think the Olay serum wins- it makes my skin so smooth but I get oily faster. I've decided that I will take being less greasy was more important for my everyday work makeup.
Don't get me wrong, this stuff has worked perfectly fine for me under foundation but I could see how this aspect of the product's performance could disappoint others especially if you are used to using other primers that are specifically make to fill pores/lines, etc.

Price is $40 for 1.0z compared to the Olay which is 1.7oz for about $20. This is also in a black pump which protects the ingredients which I prefer over the Olay bottle. Serums can get outrageously expensive, I think this is a great option if you have combo or oily skin. Considering I get nearly 4 times the amounts of good skincare ingredients with the MAC serum compared to the Olay, I don't mind paying the extra $20.

on 1/11/2012 10:11:00 AM

This is a great serum, i received a generous sample of this from a lovely mac girl and she advised me to mix it with my foundation as i wanted it for makeup use.

I'm a bit of a serum lover, i've tried a fer few, kiehls midnight recovery, liz earle oil, estee lauder advanced night repair, la mer and this is up there with the good ones.

however for the money, i'd seriously purchase advanced night repair its much better and around the same cost, this is a great product but EL is just amazing.

If you're using this for brightening purposes, i'd advise the strobe cream by mac, its amazing, the best product mac do! it works with makeup or without to give you a healthy glow, you can wear it under or over, it's a primer and a moisturizer all in one. and the ingredients are better than la mer! it has so many antioxidants, as does all mac skincare including this serum and it will do wonders for your skin. Mac skincare is arguably the best out there in my opinion however it goes unnoticed amongst their amazing makeup which sells by the bucketload.

on 9/1/2011 3:27:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I picked this up by mistake a few months ago thinking it was a primer. However im really happy with the OKish results - my face looks a lot brighter.

on 7/22/2011 8:36:00 AM

I wanted to love this serum so badly, especially as the ingredients are great and the packaging is perfect and stable. But the problem for me is the texture. It's very runny- which is fine- but also tacky on my skin. I feel like it's sticky and I wish it had a more lotion-feel to it. For that reason I think it's a more mediocre base to my makeup than a creamier primer-serum like Clinique Turnaround or EL Idealist and so I think the search continues.

on 6/29/2011 8:54:00 AM

The makeup artist recommended me this product. I have to say, I love love this serum! It's the one thing I've been missing! I apply it on before my "complete comfort" moisturizer and it keeps my face hydrated and feeling so soft. Before using the serum, I had some dry spots after applying the moisturizer, but this serum completely hydrates and leaves my face feeling so nice.

I would definitely go back and get a bottle after I run out of the sample, lol.

on 6/17/2011 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this product. I find it makes my skin so beautiful and brightens it. I have a few scars on my face from previous blemishes, and I find this really helps with that, so I recommend this product for sure!

on 6/11/2011 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

amazing full of cell communicating ingredients and vitaminC it can be a bit pricey for 40$ for only 30ml, 1fl oz BUT what this serum has over all others is THE BLACK PACKAGING IT KEEPS all the vitamins inside the serum unlike other bottles light penitrates them and removes all the good high quality ingridents you payed for thats why i LOVEEE this serum (:

Popular Face Skincare Products