September 19, 2014 | 1890 users online

Skincare - Face - MAC - Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2012 7:16:00 PM More reviews by janetbustamante

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is what I was looking for and I finally find it!
This serum contains vitamin C wich is great to use during the day cause it has antioxidants that fight free radicals and helps skin looks healthy, young and nice, It makes my skin feels so soft and glowy.

Well its a PRE PRIMER, so if you want your fundation last all day you should use a primer after it. I have the perfect instant smooth of CLARINS.

The bottle where it comes is dark wich is great cause the serum doesnīt get oxidized.

Definitly i would repurchase it again.Itīs expensive but Itīs a great product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by candystripelegs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this serum!!!
Despite the fact that the box is glittery and the name says "Skin Brightening" this is *not* ones of those shimmery/luminescent products. I think when they say "skin brightening" they are referring to the amount of vitamin C included (which is high up on the ingredient list and will help in evening out skintone). .

Previously, I've used Olay's Fragrance-free Regenerist Serum and while I was generally happy with it, I really needed something a bit more light with less silicones because I also use sunscreen everyday so the lighter the product, the less oily I get throughout the day. Compared to the Olay, this stuff is more of a liquidy-gel without 'cones!!

Another reason I would re-purchase over the Olay is because of all the anti-oxidants in this formula. While Olay's only contained Vitamain E and Niacin, MAC's serum has Vitamin C, Green Tea,and Gentian Root extract which is an anti-inflammatory ingredient that is given a good rating on beautypedia. Good to know for people like me who have sensitive skin and issues with flushing and redness :)

So, let's talk about actually using this as a primer for foundation. Now, if you have large pores, dry skin, uneven texture, etc. I doubt this will be your go-to product for foundation prep. That is one area where I think the Olay serum wins- it makes my skin so smooth but I get oily faster. I've decided that I will take being less greasy was more important for my everyday work makeup.
Don't get me wrong, this stuff has worked perfectly fine for me under foundation but I could see how this aspect of the product's performance could disappoint others especially if you are used to using other primers that are specifically make to fill pores/lines, etc.

Price is $40 for 1.0z compared to the Olay which is 1.7oz for about $20. This is also in a black pump which protects the ingredients which I prefer over the Olay bottle. Serums can get outrageously expensive, I think this is a great option if you have combo or oily skin. Considering I get nearly 4 times the amounts of good skincare ingredients with the MAC serum compared to the Olay, I don't mind paying the extra $20.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2012 10:11:00 AM More reviews by samuellewis

This is a great serum, i received a generous sample of this from a lovely mac girl and she advised me to mix it with my foundation as i wanted it for makeup use.

I'm a bit of a serum lover, i've tried a fer few, kiehls midnight recovery, liz earle oil, estee lauder advanced night repair, la mer and this is up there with the good ones.

however for the money, i'd seriously purchase advanced night repair its much better and around the same cost, this is a great product but EL is just amazing.

If you're using this for brightening purposes, i'd advise the strobe cream by mac, its amazing, the best product mac do! it works with makeup or without to give you a healthy glow, you can wear it under or over, it's a primer and a moisturizer all in one. and the ingredients are better than la mer! it has so many antioxidants, as does all mac skincare including this serum and it will do wonders for your skin. Mac skincare is arguably the best out there in my opinion however it goes unnoticed amongst their amazing makeup which sells by the bucketload.

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2011 3:27:00 PM More reviews by Vilavoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I picked this up by mistake a few months ago thinking it was a primer. However im really happy with the OKish results - my face looks a lot brighter.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2011 8:36:00 AM More reviews by juliaesands

I wanted to love this serum so badly, especially as the ingredients are great and the packaging is perfect and stable. But the problem for me is the texture. It's very runny- which is fine- but also tacky on my skin. I feel like it's sticky and I wish it had a more lotion-feel to it. For that reason I think it's a more mediocre base to my makeup than a creamier primer-serum like Clinique Turnaround or EL Idealist and so I think the search continues.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2011 8:54:00 AM More reviews by soukie87

The makeup artist recommended me this product. I have to say, I love love this serum! It's the one thing I've been missing! I apply it on before my "complete comfort" moisturizer and it keeps my face hydrated and feeling so soft. Before using the serum, I had some dry spots after applying the moisturizer, but this serum completely hydrates and leaves my face feeling so nice.

I would definitely go back and get a bottle after I run out of the sample, lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2011 2:06:00 AM More reviews by MakennaRuddy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this product. I find it makes my skin so beautiful and brightens it. I have a few scars on my face from previous blemishes, and I find this really helps with that, so I recommend this product for sure!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2011 9:40:00 PM More reviews by hnrenfro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

amazing full of cell communicating ingredients and vitaminC it can be a bit pricey for 40$ for only 30ml, 1fl oz BUT what this serum has over all others is THE BLACK PACKAGING IT KEEPS all the vitamins inside the serum unlike other bottles light penitrates them and removes all the good high quality ingridents you payed for thats why i LOVEEE this serum (:

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2011 2:56:00 AM More reviews by femmefatale25

The sales person has recommended me this product prior to my foundation. It make my skin soft and hydrated and my foundation sets in really smooth and flawless. I have sensitive skin but this doesn't break me out at all. I have some hyperpigmentation due to old pimple scars and my scars are fading quickly. It is now one of my HG. I absolutely love it!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2011 10:06:00 PM More reviews by ss2000uk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second bottle of this beauty. I absoloutely love it. Makes my skin feel soft. I have the hyperpigmentation fading in my skin, I cannot say for sure that it is as a result of using this product or a combo of other things, but nonetheless it definitely does "brighten" the skin and makes it feel amazing!