Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo

3.6

Not tested on animals

(CONTAINS SULPHATES: SODIUM COCO SULPHATE) Water (aqua), rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract*, arctium lappa (burdock) root extract*, achillea millefolium (yarrow) extract*, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) leaf extract*, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) seed extract*, sambucus nigra (black elderberry) flower extract*, aloe barbadensis leaf extract*, sodium coco-sulfate (coconut derived), decyl glucoside (coconut and corn derived), propanediol (corn derived), coco-glucoside (coconut derived), butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter*, coco nucifera (coconut) oil*, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, cannabis sativa (hemp) seed oil*, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil*, dehydroacetic acid, glycerin, hydrogenated coco-glycerides (coconut derived), sodium chloride, potassium sorbate (fruit derived), lauryl glucoside (plant derived), benzyl alcohol (plant derived), citric acid, stearyl citrate (vegetable derived), fragrance (parfum).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is one of the best shampoos I have ever used. It's very affordable, lathers well, moisturizes and smells great! I don't use it everyday, but I do keep it in my travel bag, and a back up incase I run out of my usual shampoo.

on 7/2/2013 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

PROS:
-made my hair feel soft
-felt good in my hair
-loved the smell!

CONS:
-has Sodium Coco Sulfate, which is the same as sodium lauryl sulfate
-strips hair
-couldn't find it in local drugstores (annoying online buying)
-a little expensive
-eventually made me have buildup
-made my roots oily

Overall, not a great shampoo. Maybe if it didn't have sulfates it'd be better.

on 6/24/2013 10:22:00 PM

My haircolor fades fast anyway but I swear this strips it out, like, instantly. Not only that, it dries it out. I haven't been impressed with anything in the DE Coconut line (the body wash was drying as well), but I did like DE's Tea Tree Therapeutic Shampoo.

on 6/21/2013 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Made my hair feel like straw and oily at the same time.

I gave it one lippy because it is making a great body wash and works well for shaving.

on 5/27/2013 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG shampoo (the matching conditioner is also the best!). I have been trying natural shampoos and conditioners for awhile now and I have been disappointed with the results. I was about to give up and go back to regular sulfate shampoos and silicone conditioners but decided to try this, and I am so glad I did! Most natural hair care products either make my hair really dry, or give me a weird protein buildup that makes the texture of my hair absolutely awful. However, this product leaves my frizzy combo textured (fine, course, and some wave all into one!) silky smooth without feeling heavy or coated.

I think the price is pretty affordable because it suds up with just a small amount of product. The scent is also wonderful, if you like coconut tropical scents that is.

on 5/21/2013 3:43:00 PM

I really like this shampoo. Finally a natural, cruelty free shampoo that makes my hair silky soft and smells amazing. I'm currently using it with the raspberry conditioner, 5 months in and I still love it. Would definitely repurchase!

BAD. This has a sulfate it it! Arg! Sodium Coco Sulfate is Sodium Laureth Sulfate just diluted! Very deceiving company…I think the conditioners are wonderful but watch out for those hidden sulfates everyone...

on 5/13/2013 7:02:00 AM

I use both the shampoo and the conditioner and I love them both to bits! I use heat protecting spray in my hair, hairspray and dry shampoo so after three days, my hair has quite a buildup in it. Even so, I only have to use the shampoo once (meaning I don't have to repeat after rinsing) and my hair is completely product free. The conditioner is also amazing. It feels like a good conditioner, as opposed to some conditioners that feel like water and do absolutely nothing for my tangled hair. I don't have to rave about the smell since so many already have...but I'm going to: it is FANTASTIC!

on 2/26/2013 6:08:00 PM

I wanted to like this so bad. It Smells AMAZING. That's why I gave it a lippie. My hair has been really soft lately from going no poo, but when I used this it made my hair a little less soft and definitely less manageable. Not much, but enough for me to appreciate my baking soda and vinegar when I switched back. It also broke me out. :( Most shampoos do, but they're usually the ones that have sulfates, and this didn't so I had high hopes but sadly was let down. A final con, I got HORRIBLE dandruff from this. My dandruff has always been an issue for me, but after I used this I felt like it was snowing from my head. SO so sad that this didnt work :( Hate that I have to give it such a low rating but it just didnt work for me.

on 12/5/2012 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this shampoo. I have noticed, however, that once I get toward the end of the bottle, my hair starts to get dry and "straw-like". I start a new bottle, and POOF, back to soft silky hair. I'm not sure why this happens, but it works so well most of the time that I'm willing to just toss the little bit I have left toward the end and buy a new bottle.
I just had my hair professionally colored for the first time so I am not sure how it works for colored hair yet.