DermOrganic Sulfate-Free Conditioning Shampoo

4.2

Aqua/Eau/D.Water, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate(1), Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate(2), Decyl Glucoside, Cetearyl Glucoside, Methyl Gluceth-20, Infusion of Argan Oil & Sunflower Seed Extract & Grape Seed Extract & Rice Amino Acid & Sodium PCA & Panthenol & Tocopheral Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycereth-2 Cocoate/Benzoic Acid (natural preservative), Fragrance.

Not perfect, but close to it.

This is an excellent, gentle/moisturizing shampoo that also does a great job of detangling. I would say it's slightly better overall in performance than SheaMoisture, and smells a bit nicer too, although the fragrance of this product is just "good" IMO (i.e., not great).

In terms of how my wavy/cowlicky hair looks after I use it: good, not great, but I will say it is soft and detangled, and to achieve that without a separate conditioner is not an easy feat.

Overall, highly recommended.

on 10/28/2013 12:34:00 PM

I think I love this shampoo. I got it about a week ago, purchased largely because of the positive reviews I read here on MUA. I've washed with it twice now, on my highlighted, stringy, dry, damaged hair. My hair seems to love it. My hair is smooth & frizz free. I love the fact that this is a natural product, and it lathers. Yes, I can name several sulfate-free shampoos that lather, but not many that are also natural. I bought the shampoo in a pack with the conditioning masque and the leave-in oil (also great). The pump took me a second to figure out in the shower - it twists/untwists to lock and unlock, rather than where you twist it & the pump pops up & remains up. The product dispenses from the pump just fine (doesn't clog so far). I agree with other reviews here, though, the scent is ugh. VERY restroom handwash at a gas station smell. I'm thinking of adding a little essential oil to it to try and brighten it up, but then I might kill the lathering/cleansing properties. It's thankful not a strong scent and it definitely goes away. The product is a bit pricey and it definitely takes a big handful to get the job done, but I am willing to pay it for a natural & cruelty-free product that also actually works. It both cleanses & moisturizes my hair, which is more than I can say for the dozens of other shampoos I've tried at various pricepoints, many of which had nasty chemical ingredients.
**UPDATE** I find myself reaching for this shampoo...almost never. I've found so many other good "natural" shampoos with WAY better fragrances and some even with better performance. I am particularly hooked on the 100% Pure shampoos right now; they smell great, give my hair great shine, and provide loads of moisture. I just can't stand the smell of this stuff & I want my shower to be a completely enjoyable experience, and that includes enjoying all the fragrances of my products. I'm not going to downgrade my rating to "no repurchase," because I don't think that's fair. This stuff works well - better than most organic/ natural shampoos - it's just not the best I've found and I personally hate the smell.
**UPDATE 2**: I gave this and the matching masque away. There are too many products I have come across that have natural ingredients, perform well, AND smell great.

on 10/20/2013 6:46:00 PM

I have a longer review under the DermOrganics Masque that includes my comments on the whole set. So far, I've cycled my dermorganic products in with other shampoo/conditioners, and avoided it for daily use after my hair dried out and suspected these products where contributing. Except for the oil, the products smell of cedarwood oil, which can be irritating, so I think if I use these products too much it tends dries my hair out. After cycling these products 'out' for a while, I decided, now that my hair is in stable condition, I'd try the entire set again, and WOW, I got the same first-time fabulous results!

I'm happy with my purchase overall, and my hair has been in good condition since introducing these products into my stable. Especially if I have product building up and damage, and my hair feels hard and I want a vavoom hit-the-reset-button on my hair. I wash thoroughly with this shampoo, followed with 30 minutes of the masque and a few drops of the the oil. My hair is full, lush (!), bouncy and full of movement and body.

on 10/17/2013 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So not impressed. I had issues with pureology making my scalp pink & itchy & experienced the same with this product.. My hairdresser commented on my slightly irritated scalp & unlike other reviewers experiences, she was definitely not gushing about great my hair was when using the product. I got on close out at target for like $16 & that was still pretty pricey. I didn't like the fact it smelled like shaving cream! I also have concerns about the issue that reviewer zeusandcoco brought up about their animal cruelty policies. Feel this product is way over priced and just average at best.

on 9/22/2013 10:26:00 PM

I sought out this shampoo and the matching daily conditioner as a result of the reviews on MUA. I have thin hair and have been looking for a gentle but effective cleanser for my hair and scalp. Although the product is sulfate free, paraben free, vegan, these attributes were a bonus rather than a requirement for me. What I do look for is a rich lathering shampoo that cleans well without stripping. I was very pleased with the cleaning properties and will purchase it again IF I can find it at my nearby Winners. I paid $39.99 for a one litre bottle of this poo and a matching daily conditioner of the same size.

on 9/13/2013 8:53:00 PM

This is a creamy lathering shampoo that almost lives up to the raves. Together with the hair masque it does a beautiful job on my shoulder length hair, which is wavy and has started to go a little frizzy as I have gotten older. This makes my hair very full, soft, and shiny. No frizz.

The main downside for me is the fragrance. I totally agree that the scent is cherry cough syrup/ gas station rest room deodorizer/ odd. But it's just odd in a way that fails to enhance my shower experience -- not odd in a way that clings to my hair in a cloying cloud of toxic fumes for a day and a half. (Although I did look for "No pthalates" on the bottle and did not find it -- the fragrance can't possibly be organic.)

Anyway, by the time my hair dries, the scent has calmed down a lot. For which I am grateful, because my hair looks really good when I use it. When I don't use it, it's because I just can't face the fragrance.

on 9/3/2013 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this shampoo for a while, just finishing up the 1 litre bottle and I'm hoarding a couple more just in case! I got this for $20 at Winners which I think is totally reasonable. I love that I'm using a truly natural product (skin deep rating was 2 or 3, can't recall) and so far my hair has been much less dry and I've had far fewer split ends than I used to. This cleans without stripping my hair. I have a tendency to frizz and this combined with Ojon's Dry Recovery conditioner seems to mostly keep my frizzies at bay. I think I'm going to go clean out my local Winners now as I haven't seen this product sold anywhere else in Canada!

on 8/28/2013 2:01:00 AM

This is great shampoo free of so many bad things! Parabens and gluten are the things I must not have in beauty products. This shampoo gently cleanses, not overly sudsy. I use it daily ,in the summer,with the conditioner. Works great for curly hair!

on 8/24/2013 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Maybe I got a bad bottle but ,y shampoo was so watery! I would pump it out and it would just run throughout my fingers like water. I ended up having to use an awful lot of this for my thick below should length hair. I t left my hair feeling a little too squeaky clean but this was ameliorated by using the matching conditioner, which I love! In fact, I ended up throwing out the shampoo because it was just too painful to use (plus I hate the smell-kind of like a rancid pine tree) but I kept the conditioner because it makes my hair feel amazing.

on 8/1/2013 9:01:00 AM