Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

2.5

on 12/25/2012 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

this makeup gives almost NO coverage. i honestly had to do a double take when i was putting this on because it did almost nothing to my skin, except make it slightly more orange. if you take a light coverage foundation, and subtract 80% of the coverage you get from a light coverage product, you get this. streaky, all up in my pore's business, and may have made parts of my face burn for a bit. it kind of works as a primer for my revlon new complexion makeup and stops it from creasing/ whatnot, but then i feel ridiculous for using two foundations that are both too warm for my skintone. it also works slightly better with laura mercier primer, but i feel ridiculous again wasting that on such a crappy foundation. bbcreams have made me spoiled, i think, because all the drugstore foundations i try are now woefully inadequate.

on 10/8/2012 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I am surprised at all of the bad reviews of this product! I have very oily skin and I apply this SPARINGLY, as it is NOT buildable. I finish with a dust of Neutrogena shine control powder and I get a beautiful, smooth, natural finish that looks like I'm not even wearing any makeup. If you use too much, it will be a streaky mess. I just dab the sponge on the makeup creme and swipe once over my face and I'm done. I have to agree that the set-up of the compact makes no sense. It's like upside down. Other than that, I think it's a great product, but not really a "foundation." Also, the actual color is much lighter than it looks in the compact. I am NC25-30 and Nude-40 is perfect for me. UPDATE: I've decided this is too greasy for someone with oily skin like me. It just didn't last long enough and I was shiny less than an hour after applying it. I gave it to my Mom who has dry skin and it looks great on her and lasts all day..

Grainy texture and greasy--not worth the money at all. I love cream foundations for the ease of use, but this one is not worth the $12 price tag. Will not buy again!

on 9/13/2012 9:25:00 PM

Bought the lightest color and ended up looking not just slightly darker, but completely orange. So disappointed. Would not recommend, unless you like the oompa loompa look.

on 5/23/2012 12:09:00 PM

It was okay but way too cakey on my skin after a few hours. I felt like my face was melting and the color wasn't a great match. The packaging felt cheap in my hands. Just not a fan. Back to MAC I go!

on 5/23/2012 10:28:00 AM

Pros:
Cannot think of any other than the sponge that does make application easy

Cons:
-Packaging - Weird packaging that flips open upside down
-BURNT my skin when applied - I did some research and saw this happened to other people using Neutrogena products with sunscreen due to an ingredient called Oxybenzone -Tried applying over a primer to see if it would not burn and the burning sensation was less but then my face looked like an oil slick
-Sat on top of skin and made pores look terrible by having product pool in pores

Would not recommend for anyone or buy again - This one needs to be taken off the shelves!

on 5/20/2012 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm going to write about my skin first. Then I'll write about the product. I've also gone through this review several times to attempt to keep it short (yes this is the shorter version). My skin is a pale olive (aka yellow undertone NC15 in summer; about two shades lighter than NC15 in winter). It is combination. My chin & above my lips are dry and get flaky sometimes. Meanwhile my forehead, cheeks, and nose get really oily (fyi foundation slides off my nose). The rest is normal. My flaws include the occasional pimples (2-3), under eye circles, orange-rind pores on my cheeks with some redness, redness around the corner of my lips & around nose, and I have 3 veins to the right of my lips. That's what I need to cover up (sounds like a lot, but I know people who have a lot more; I need about medium coverage).
This is okay for coverage. I'd say more like a light to light-medium. I can feel this on my skin (slightly heavier than a TM or BB cream-which I normally wear). It does not cover my flaws. I still see everything I mentioned above. Redness has to be covered by concealer, under eye circles covered by concealer..etc. My large pores aren't covered but this didn't make them more obvious.I usually hate cream foundations but this one isn't bad. The usual cream foundation settles into fine lines, cakes, shows off my dry areas, and makes me look about 35-40yrs old (I'm only 25). So with that being said this doesn't do that. Yes it kinda settles into fine lines yet it doesn't make them look obvious (kinda contradicting I know). It does cling to dry areas so moisturize before hand (doesn't make them more obvious though but I can tell; I'm sure if you looked at me you'd have no idea). As for lasting power and oil control, I do not know. I haven't worn this to work to give it a full test. Honestly I personally do not like this enough to wear it every day. As a cream foundation it is one of the best I've found though. Personally I like more coverage to my foundations and for it to not cling to my dry areas (the BB cream I use doesn't do this). So I'll be returning this to the store. I did leave a "yes" for re-buying and a 3 for the Overall Rating because I could see someone loving this.

on 4/27/2012 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have dry skin, especially around my eyes and mouth. I usually don't use cream foundations, but this one seemed like it would be good because of the high SPF. Unfortunately, I absolutely hate it. It felt incredibly thick when I put it on, and the feeling didn't go away. Also, it settled into the fine lines around my mouth and made my dry skin look even more patchy and flaky than it is. I used it for about a week, and by the end of the week I noticed that my face was even more dry than when the week began. Also, it made my face break out terribly. I don't know about other skin types, but if you tend to have dry skin, I would not recommend this product. I'll be returning this as soon as possible ad continuing my search for a good drugstore foundation for dry skin.

on 3/11/2012 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

How in the world do you get this out of the compact? I literally had to DIG to get it out, and that would only cover 1/4 of my face. Yes it is greasy..and it doesn't go on smooth, when you're applying it it feels like you're smearing peanut butter on your face. Neutrogena has THE best drugstore foundations, but this really disappointed me.

on 3/4/2012 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I love this foudation and could not believe all the terible reviews it got on Amazon. This is a cream foundatin (not cream to powder) in it's classic form. It's meant to be sponged on or one guesses you can brush it on though I would recommend you ONLY sponge it on. I think peoples bad reaction to this product is they use too much poduct (swipe their sponge/brush across the makeup too hard and too many times.) The less you use of this the better. The secret is you only swipe the sponge 1-2 times which is enough to do half your face. 2 swipes of the sponge may be enough product for your entire face (depending on how much pressure you use taking the product up on your sponge.) The less pressure, the better. You should first apply the sponge to the upper-center of your cheek and move back towards the ear and then come back to center (where you started and proceed moving toward your nose (one side) and chin (one side.) Repeat the process for the other side of your face. What is left over may be enough for you to then use it on your forehead. IF YOU INITIALLY TAKE TOO MUCH OF THIS ON YOUR SPONGE YOU WILL HAVE A MESS. It will look cakey, old fasioned overmade up and accent every little fine, dry line nevermind the deeper ones. You may or may not have to powder this dowm (I don't, just the nose.) I think it looks great has great coverage w/out being too makeupy looking. It wears real well, almost 'till it's time to come off. They might be discontinuing it as I purchased it for 8 bucks in Target. This may have been specified as a makeup to use after a cosmetic procedure as it has an SPF of 55!!! The SPF is "Helioplex" which is Neutrogena's (and anyone elses for that matter except La Roche-Posay "Anthelios") BEST. It's a great sunsreen as it filters the "A" rays as well as it filters the "B" rays. Most sunsreens claim to be broadspectrum (Blocking A&B rays), but their defense of the A rays doesn't hold up to how well they fight the B rays. The A rays are the most damaging in the long run as their wavelenghth allows them to penetrate deeper into the more underlying layers of the skin. This is the kind of damage which doesn't show right away. It may take years to decades to show it's most damage...anyway I know of no other makeup with this high an SPF using "Helioplex." The compact is made well and durable. It easily slides into the smallest space so it's great for portability. Because of its formulation it's a great makeup to take with you and use on the fly. Though I think it holds up so well there may not be need for touch-ups. What more can one ask of their foundation at this price??????

Popular Crème Foundations