August 1, 2014 | 1659 users online

Crème - Neutrogena - Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2012 12:09:00 PM More reviews by smlane87

It was okay but way too cakey on my skin after a few hours. I felt like my face was melting and the color wasn't a great match. The packaging felt cheap in my hands. Just not a fan. Back to MAC I go!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2012 10:28:00 AM More reviews by azmuslima

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Pros:
Cannot think of any other than the sponge that does make application easy

Cons:
-Packaging - Weird packaging that flips open upside down
-BURNT my skin when applied - I did some research and saw this happened to other people using Neutrogena products with sunscreen due to an ingredient called Oxybenzone -Tried applying over a primer to see if it would not burn and the burning sensation was less but then my face looked like an oil slick
-Sat on top of skin and made pores look terrible by having product pool in pores

Would not recommend for anyone or buy again - This one needs to be taken off the shelves!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I'm going to write about my skin first. Then I'll write about the product. I've also gone through this review several times to attempt to keep it short (yes this is the shorter version). My skin is a pale olive (aka yellow undertone NC15 in summer; about two shades lighter than NC15 in winter). It is combination. My chin & above my lips are dry and get flaky sometimes. Meanwhile my forehead, cheeks, and nose get really oily (fyi foundation slides off my nose). The rest is normal. My flaws include the occasional pimples (2-3), under eye circles, orange-rind pores on my cheeks with some redness, redness around the corner of my lips & around nose, and I have 3 veins to the right of my lips. That's what I need to cover up (sounds like a lot, but I know people who have a lot more; I need about medium coverage).
This is okay for coverage. I'd say more like a light to light-medium. I can feel this on my skin (slightly heavier than a TM or BB cream-which I normally wear). It does not cover my flaws. I still see everything I mentioned above. Redness has to be covered by concealer, under eye circles covered by concealer..etc. My large pores aren't covered but this didn't make them more obvious.I usually hate cream foundations but this one isn't bad. The usual cream foundation settles into fine lines, cakes, shows off my dry areas, and makes me look about 35-40yrs old (I'm only 25). So with that being said this doesn't do that. Yes it kinda settles into fine lines yet it doesn't make them look obvious (kinda contradicting I know). It does cling to dry areas so moisturize before hand (doesn't make them more obvious though but I can tell; I'm sure if you looked at me you'd have no idea). As for lasting power and oil control, I do not know. I haven't worn this to work to give it a full test. Honestly I personally do not like this enough to wear it every day. As a cream foundation it is one of the best I've found though. Personally I like more coverage to my foundations and for it to not cling to my dry areas (the BB cream I use doesn't do this). So I'll be returning this to the store. I did leave a "yes" for re-buying and a 3 for the Overall Rating because I could see someone loving this.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2012 7:37:00 PM More reviews by feelgooddrag

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have dry skin, especially around my eyes and mouth. I usually don't use cream foundations, but this one seemed like it would be good because of the high SPF. Unfortunately, I absolutely hate it. It felt incredibly thick when I put it on, and the feeling didn't go away. Also, it settled into the fine lines around my mouth and made my dry skin look even more patchy and flaky than it is. I used it for about a week, and by the end of the week I noticed that my face was even more dry than when the week began. Also, it made my face break out terribly. I don't know about other skin types, but if you tend to have dry skin, I would not recommend this product. I'll be returning this as soon as possible ad continuing my search for a good drugstore foundation for dry skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2012 1:54:00 AM More reviews by RiRiPanda

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

How in the world do you get this out of the compact? I literally had to DIG to get it out, and that would only cover 1/4 of my face. Yes it is greasy..and it doesn't go on smooth, when you're applying it it feels like you're smearing peanut butter on your face. Neutrogena has THE best drugstore foundations, but this really disappointed me.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this foudation and could not believe all the terible reviews it got on Amazon. This is a cream foundatin (not cream to powder) in it's classic form. It's meant to be sponged on or one guesses you can brush it on though I would recommend you ONLY sponge it on. I think peoples bad reaction to this product is they use too much poduct (swipe their sponge/brush across the makeup too hard and too many times.) The less you use of this the better. The secret is you only swipe the sponge 1-2 times which is enough to do half your face. 2 swipes of the sponge may be enough product for your entire face (depending on how much pressure you use taking the product up on your sponge.) The less pressure, the better. You should first apply the sponge to the upper-center of your cheek and move back towards the ear and then come back to center (where you started and proceed moving toward your nose (one side) and chin (one side.) Repeat the process for the other side of your face. What is left over may be enough for you to then use it on your forehead. IF YOU INITIALLY TAKE TOO MUCH OF THIS ON YOUR SPONGE YOU WILL HAVE A MESS. It will look cakey, old fasioned overmade up and accent every little fine, dry line nevermind the deeper ones. You may or may not have to powder this dowm (I don't, just the nose.) I think it looks great has great coverage w/out being too makeupy looking. It wears real well, almost 'till it's time to come off. They might be discontinuing it as I purchased it for 8 bucks in Target. This may have been specified as a makeup to use after a cosmetic procedure as it has an SPF of 55!!! The SPF is "Helioplex" which is Neutrogena's (and anyone elses for that matter except La Roche-Posay "Anthelios") BEST. It's a great sunsreen as it filters the "A" rays as well as it filters the "B" rays. Most sunsreens claim to be broadspectrum (Blocking A&B rays), but their defense of the A rays doesn't hold up to how well they fight the B rays. The A rays are the most damaging in the long run as their wavelenghth allows them to penetrate deeper into the more underlying layers of the skin. This is the kind of damage which doesn't show right away. It may take years to decades to show it's most damage...anyway I know of no other makeup with this high an SPF using "Helioplex." The compact is made well and durable. It easily slides into the smallest space so it's great for portability. Because of its formulation it's a great makeup to take with you and use on the fly. Though I think it holds up so well there may not be need for touch-ups. What more can one ask of their foundation at this price??????

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2012 12:57:00 PM More reviews by GreenWoman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the Healthy Skin Enhancer (tinted moisturizer) but currently need a bit more coverage so I thought this would be great- so wrong. The texture of the product was inconsistent and grainy. It turned to powder almost imediately so it was impossible to blend or build coverage. I tried sponge and my fingers with zero success.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2012 5:23:00 AM More reviews by lyssastyle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Was on a hunt for makeup for winter for my dry skin. Thought to try this. I'm about nc 40/42 and picked up shade natural beige 60 (a bit too light). Maybe fresh beige 70 or even 80 would've been better. I have dry skin and thought a cream foundation would be best for winter, but nope not this. I like the liquid version and since I was out, thought I would try this one. This will accentuate dry patches, is not long lasting, but it is lightweight. Good uva-uvb protection, but not really good for medium-full coverage. Packaging is nice, just wish this would've worked for me or just as good as the liquid version...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by three_black_cats

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid makeup for over a year now, and once I got the color right (all the lighter shades I've tried seem to go on even lighter than they look in the bottle) it has worked really well. And I love the SPF!

When I went to purchase another bottle, there was a buy-one-get-one offer, so on a whim I picked up this compact makeup in the same shade I use in the liquid. I was not disappointed. The shade was just as true to my skin tone as the liquid was in the same shade.

It isn't as moisturizing as the liquid, obviously, but it was not at all cakey nor too heavy, and the SPF factor is higher. This compact foundation is easy to apply, and the included sponge does a good job. It definitely evens out my skin tone and leaves a nice semi-matte finish, not as dewy as the liquid version. So far, it has not caked, or settled into fine lines, or streaked as my face gets more oily towards the end of the day. Your mileage may vary depending on your skin type.

I think the previous reviewer really made some excellent points. Good packaging (although it is a bit tricky) that will NOT come open unexpectedly in your makeup bag or purse. It works well for touchups, doesn't moisturize but doesn't accentuate my dry spots, as long as I have properly exfoliated and moisturized prior to applying this foundation. Love the SPF 55, but I wouldn't rely on that alone, and I always use an SPF moisturizer or base before applying makeup. With the liquid version of this foundation, I always need a powder to set it, but with the compact version, I can see skipping the powder. The application is a bit drier than the liquid form, which makes sense. This particular compact foundation doesn't leave glistening streaks of silicone as I smooth it on, which is a relief, since a lot of compact makeups just seem to either dry me out or soak me in silicone.

I can totally see taking this with me when I go out or travel because it is quick and easy and gives good results without being too heavy or cakey or greasy, and it is totally portable and self contained. I would purchase this again, but still won't give up the same product in liquid form. Both are very good products that I enjoy using. Another win for Neutrogena!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by Lanolin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think some of the negative reviews come from expecting this product to be what it is not. Yes, it is makeup but if you look at the back, it says, "Purpose: Sunscreen." So I'd say, first and foremost, it is a sunscreen....that looks and behaves like a foundation. I started using Retin-A and was looking for a compact style foundation that would be a little bit of extra insurance in the SPF department. My first impression: Semi-pricy @ $12 a pop at Target. Second impression: Solid packaging (though you need to figure out how it opens. It has an odd latch.) The sponge is kept separate from the makeup and the foundation you see through the compact is actually the bottom of the product, I guess to keep it looking pretty. As for the product itself:

1.) It smells like sunscreen (Not surprising)

2.) It goes on smoothly

3.) I would describe the coverage as "sheer-medium" and "natural." It covers but DOES NOT build. I have very red cheeks along with freckles and dark spots, and this product gave me a natural glow. Redness was very toned down and freckles and dark spots were evened out to the point of being unnoticeable. I hate the look of sheer foundation which has a tendency to look fake because it only half-covers things like broken blood vessels and freckles which makes it looks like you are totally wearing crappy foundation. I didn't have that effect with this product but like I said, it does not build so it is best to apply a thin, even layer.

4.) I noticed that it can (I'm not saying it will) settle into fine lines. Occasionally I've had to smooth out a little settling in a line or 2 but it isn't horrible. But, on a related note, I've noticed it disappearing in "high traffic" areas like my nose or corner of my mouth by the afternoon but the good thing about the product is that it touches up well. 1 or 2 light pats and the problem is totally fixed.

5.) This is essentially a sunscreen so don't expect it to absorb oil. I've had to touch up with oil blotters and a little powder around my nose every once in a while. No biggie.

6.) Unless you like the Just-Applied-Sunscreen look, you'll have to set it with powder. I used Clinique Transparent Powder which has worked really well with it.

7.) The makeup goes on lighter than what it looks like in the compact. Be forewarned.

8.) I can see how this product would NOT look good on someone with serious problem skin. On a day I neglected to exfoliate (Retin-A issues) I noticed that it "highlighted" some dry skin on my nose. It was only noticeable in a magnified mirror up-close, but still, proper exfoliation and hydration might be necessary.

My overall impression is that this is a good product. It makes my skin feel good, it goes on smoothly, and gives a naturally even look. I would give it a 5 only if it was a total miracle-worker and performed better in the longevity and oil absorbing department. But for what it is, I'm happy with it. I will totally buy this again

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No