April 17, 2014 | 1041 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 8:18:00 PM More reviews by sagc

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Initially I really preferred the old mascara base but after reading the reviews and following the suggestion to not let it dry before applying a coat of mascara I have had much better results. What I really like is that I can have good results with, apparently, any mascara. I haven't bought a mascara in probably 4 years, but have gotten a lot of freebies - different brands - fgwp etc and this has made them all work. Best of all, I think because I just tried this today, I put it on over my mascara rather than under. Just an experiment because I have eyes that water a lot no matter what and I would always wind up the day with at least one "raccoon eye". I put this on over my mascara at 9:00 this morning, now over 11 hours later with eyes watery as usual, there is not a hint of smearing under either eye and my eyelashes are still fairly curled. I'll try this in public tomorrow and if the results are the same I'm sold forever. The only con I have found with this product is that it doesn't hold my brows in place and the old one did. I'll just have to find something else to do that.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 6:49:00 AM More reviews by KarmaEls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My HG product, cant live without, especially if you have the lashes that tend to point down. Hold the curl all day, I dont have to use it with any other mascara, it work by it own. The price is not too expensive for this amazing products. This is the first product I own from shiseido and diffidently not the last. I repurchase it, again and again and again

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by sherrybird

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this. It holds my curl really well with most mascaras and it helps add volume too. I don't think it adds much length though, but I mostly bought it for the curl holding. I also like that it's more of a clear color than white. The packaging says that you can wear it alone for a glossy look but it looks kind of weird.. It is a bit harder to remove than just normal mascara, but still much easier than waterproof mascara. I'll definitely buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2013 8:43:00 AM More reviews by Imimpressions

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I sincerely feel apologetic for not shouting from the rooftops on this one. Excited from the reviews I purchased two. This is what I did for a week
Tried it with loreal million mascara, no difference, tried one eye with and one without absolutely no difference
Tried it with smoky lash from mufe again no difference between an eye with and an eye without
Maybe a bad batch, or maybe my eyelashes don't need it, I don't know. I wanted big bold lashes. That being said, i owe a big thank u to this stuff...knowing I was going to purchase this made me look at drugstore brands and I found my new mascara love, marcelle twist up mascara - phenomenal. As good as hypnose at a third of the price and I've been raving endlessly about it, def check it out!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2013 12:04:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryQueen

This is my everything! It's been forever since I've last found it, you don't really run into many Shiseido products in my city. Like I said, I've bought it so long ago, and still have bits of it. I don't really recommend using it without a coat of mascara on, if you have long eyelashes, it appears quite grayish/white-ish on the ends of the lashes. But with my hard to deal with eyelashes, this is the only thing that works! A bit pricy, but lasts long, so definitely worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 3:43:00 AM More reviews by Chocoholic2486

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

On its official website, Shiseido states that this product "create[s] unprecedented impact by dramatically intensifying mascara finish." It "enhances the volume, length and curl of every lash". Why is it called a "nourishing" mascara base then? Anyway, I bought this for SGD40 here, in Singapore. It is an expensive product but it does what it claims - it creates volume, increases length and curls lashes. There is a noticeable difference in how my eyelashes look like after I have applied this base and mascara. It is a base so it is a prep step. I have read reviews where people say that you can wear it alone, without any mascara. Unless you want to step out of the house with white residue on your eyelashes, this is not a good idea. When you are using this base, make sure that all your lashes are fully coated with the product. Once you have done so, you can either wait for the base to dry or apply your mascara when it is still wet. Applying mascara when the base has already dried will mean that it will be slightly difficult to apply the mascara. Mascara glides very well when the base is still wet. How your eyelashes look at the end of it all also depends on how good and effective your mascara is. It complements a mascara; it does not substitute it. Overall, this is a good product which I will consider repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by aidan83

Tried lancome and a couple other brands, always come back to this one. make my asian eyelash stay up and curl!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2013 11:40:00 PM More reviews by Brandjunkie

I absolutely adore this! I'm on my third tube of this and I even buy backups when Nordstrom has their Mascara Madness events where you buy 2 and get 1 free because, for me, it's That.Good.

What Shiseido claims it does: "Intensifies volume, length and curl- Conditions and make lashes more supple- Provides elegant glossy finish when worn alone." I can say that it really does all that for my wimpy, medium length straight lashes. Between my Shu Uemura eyelash curler and this, my lashes end up looking feathery and pretty. I've come to face the fact that if I wasn't born with lush thick lashes, no mascara in the world is going to give me "va-va-voom" Samantha Barks lashes. Volumizing mascaras instead make mine look like spider legs- clumpy and sparse; however, when I want an evening look I apply two thick coats of this (letting the first coat dry before the second coat) and my mascara and that does the trick. For every day, I just apply 2 thin coats alone and I am out the door knowing that my lashes will stay curled all day and night until I wash it off. I hope Shiseido never changes the formula.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 4:52:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wish I would've discovered this sooner. This product is amazing!! It makes me lashes look longer and fuller. I have long lashes, only problem is that they're straight. I curl my lashes with the shiseido eyelash curler, apply this product to the tips of my lashes and then one coat from the roots, then 2 coats of my HG mascara: maybelline waterproof full n soft. I wait couple minutes between each maybelline coat. I love using this product on my lower lashes too. Holds my curl throughout the day and easy to remove at the end of the night. Def would repurchase! :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Let me first say that I have never used the old version. That being said, I like this stuff. I'm actually glad that it doesn't thicken much like the old one did because I choose mascara based on what I need. So if I am already getting the amount of volumizing I want from my mascara I chose, I don't need more. But I do think this makes my lashes look just a bit thicker and nicer when I use it. I read the other one could leave a gray film on lashes if a little too much was applied. This one doesn't, so again, I'm quite happy with this formula. Doesn't bother my very sensitive eyes at all. Seems to make my curl last longer. This also seems to make my mascara last longer without flaking/smudging.

CONS: Price. (But I now can use cheaper drugstore mascaras, because of how this makes them perform with holding curl and lasting on my lashes.) I ran into the problem that others did with it changing in the tube on me quite soon after buying. (And no, I didn't get it on Ebay or something like that.) It became sort of funky (hard to describe the texture difference) where the mascara didn't apply quite as beautifully on top of it like it did before (but it's still applies okay.)

APPLICATION TIPS: I've tried this right before applying mascara and also tried letting it dry a bit first. Either way is okay, but I prefer applying the mascara right away, while the primer is still wet. I think the mascara is easier to apply that way. The lashes just look better when the mascara is on too. And the lasting power (no smudging/flaking) was better when I applied the mascara while the primer was wet. Love using this with the Shiseido curler because it creates a curl that lasts a long time for me. Favorite mascaras to use with this: Covergirl Remarkable Mascara (stays on well for nonwaterproof) or Milani's Runway Lashes, which is gorgeous for length/volume (I cover it with Clarins Double Fix to make it last.)