December 20, 2014 | 1326 users online

Brows - NYX - Eyebrow Cake Powder - Black/Grey

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 4:49:00 PM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Through out years and years of dying my medium-reddish brown hair various shades of ebony, it's fair to say that I've cycled through brow products just as much as I have brands and hues of dye. Sure, I've suffered a great many disappointments- from parading about in a full face of makeup sans brows and looking quite undone (when I was much younger, of course), to using carbon black shades which made my brows look pasted on and pencils which caked or left strange undertones present on my skin when blended out. Thankfully today, I have nothing but praises to sing for Nyx's Black/Grey Eyebrow Cake!

I was more than content to be using Maybelline's Define-A-Brow pencil in Soft Black (Discontinued, sadly) a few months ago. It was and still is an excellent product, though when I began growing my brows into a slightly straighter, angular, and more androgynous style I found that the color was much too dark and made me appear a little more masculine than I desired. Enter grey eyeshadow! I'd mostly just used matte black shadows tapped off and blended out on the back of my hand prior to my discovery of grey. While this worked for me somewhat, I found that often times my brows were still a bit harsh- especially during the daytime. After experimenting with grey using a shimmery shadow I had, I decided that I'd take the leap and invest in matte grey products as the effect is much more natural and softer looking despite the fact that my brows are a muted black on their own.

I'd tried Nyx's eyebrow pencils before and though I wasn't impressed by that particular shade/product, I decided to give them another go. I could not be more impressed by Nyx's Eyebrow Cake. It's honestly probably going to be my first declared 'HG' product! The two colors in the little kit are grey, one a darker but still soft cool-toned medium charcoal and the other a perhaps oh-so-slightly warmer but much lighter slate grey color. Despite having naturally black brows, the lighter color gives the most natural look I've ever been able to cultivate. It honestly looks like my brows are truly that full and groomed all on their own, like they just grow that way all by themselves. I couldn't believe it! The darker grey is perfect in areas where my brows are still growing in and frankly still pretty bald. It is also good for nights when I feel like doing an all out POWER BROW and offers just enough definition to keep it from looking like I have stick-on eyebrows.

The little tools included in the kit are rather adorable but I have yet to use them and doubt I will unless I'm traveling, so I can't speak to as how well they work. I can't say for the wax either as I haven't used it, but I certainly will update this review when I have. Honestly, the shadows themselves are utter perfection and I'd probably overlook these little extras if they happened to suck. We'll see.

All in all, I feel incredibly grateful that I took the plunge and decided to get Nyx's Eyebrow Cake. The price is more than excellent for the quality of the products and even more so for the convenience of having your tools, the powders, and wax all in one nifty little kit. I truly never thought that I'd have plush, natural looking brows and had resigned to the fact that since my hair was stark black, my brows would forever be severe and ostentatious looking. I'm absolutely in love with the fact that I can now rock softer, carefree sort of looks and let my brows take a back seat as well as having the option to play them up and really let them be a main feature in a look without having them steal the show entirely. If your hair is Jet or Blue/Bright Black and your brows are naturally medium-dark, I couldn't recommend this product enough. It's really been a complete godsend for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 1:53:00 AM More reviews by anjellee

I have the one in dark brown/brown
Lasts all day on my eyebrows, it actually is kinda waterproof aswell which is great! I tried taking it off with water, but it didnt budge :D
Gives a soft look, I havent used the wax since my eyebrows are pretty tame

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2011 5:35:00 AM More reviews by britharyanto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HG! HG! HG!
I have tried every other brow product and this just applies beautifully provided you don't have a strong hand when applying. it looks natural - i use the grey shade. For something as inexpensive than this, you definitely get more than you paid for. Lovely product. Will never buy any other brow product ever again.
However, I don't like how it breaks kind of easily. The lid on mine has come off because some of the plastic has chipped off where the screws are so it has nothing to hold on to.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2011 9:09:00 AM More reviews by ChanelLove07

What i love about this Eyebrow powder is that it stays on my brows all day and i didnt have to set it with the wax. It looks natural, just use a light hand and do feathery strokes.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by lalovelyj

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought my color too dark because I wanted strong/bold brows but this is a GREAT product. I have a heavy hand, so filling in with pencil just does not work for me. The power is great and then use a spooly to comb brows. I need to pick up the dark brown shade. I do not use the wax because it clogs pores and I am very acne prone.I set my brows with a brow gel or aloe vera gel.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2011 10:11:00 PM More reviews by labu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bought this product mostly for the wax, as I don't really use powders or colors on my brows, just need 'em tamed, really. The powders in this set, like others mention, are good, not too dark at all. In fact, I like to use them as regular eye shadows. The wax, on the other hand, I have serious issues with. I suppose I'm so happy with the wax provided in the Wet'n'Wild brow kit, that this in comparison just doesn't do it for me. Whereas the WnW brow kit wax is light, doesn't go on too shiny or heavy, and still does great at holding my brows where I put them, the wax in this NYX kit is FAR too heavy and waxy. I barely run my brush in it and it's already picked up globs of it. Then, when I apply it to my brows, it's so heavy that rather than keeping brows where I put them, the hairs just migrate to stick to other hairs covered in the wax. Plus, the end result is super shiny, and I never intended to go out looking like I just put oil all over my brows. Bottom line: The powders are nice, especially as eye shadows, but the wax is far too shiny, gooey, and heavy.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2011 7:13:00 AM More reviews by Desertflower92108

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love, love, love this set! I agree with the poster below me that the colors here (charcoal and dull black) are not too intense so you can apply them and not look puzzled or angry even when you are smiling or something (you know what I mean) :). Anyway, I had heard powder was more realistic for pro-eyebrows and hesitated to get some- no I don't know why. Get this kit and start becoming one of those girls with the glamorous well shaped brows. The wax makes em shiny and is soft so go easy with it. This is now an HG in my kit.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2011 9:26:00 AM More reviews by Chellemakepeace

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

wow, what a great bang for your buck! Lasts ALL day, and makes my brows look so natural and lovely! Totally recommend!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2010 12:21:00 PM More reviews by shamimi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I do like this cake powder a lot. I have been using it for a while now a little goes a long way. The gray is not too dark and neither is the black. It blends really well with your brows and not to harsh like a pencil would be, It sculpts the brows rather well. My only complaints are that it seem like the wax runs out quicker. I think it should be a bit more of the wax in the set. I also do not like the container, the top of mine broke off rather quickly and as a result the top falls off on its own often.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2010 2:00:00 AM More reviews by XxOmgItsDaraxX

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this I bought it during their dollar sale....so glad I did. I have naturally dark brown hair and black eyebrows. The black is not too harsh and is a perfect match. I do not need to reapply during the day because it lasts. The only complaint I have is the packaging...the cover on mine is broken but I could have dropped it.