April 20, 2014 | 889 users online

Cleansers - CeraVe - Foaming Facial Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2013 12:57:00 PM More reviews by POPOK1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this and it actually broke out my face really bad, my skin never looked as bad as when I was using this. I used it for about a month hoping it would clear up but it only got worse and worse. I'm really disappointed one because of the price and two because I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. I switched back to my old face wash and after one week I'm already clearing up big time. I guess I'm one of the unlucky few that this product didn't work out for.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by jordancrook

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this cleanser. I have oily acne prone skin and this has helped to cut down on both of those. First I tried the hydrating cleanser and that made my skin burn, so I switched to the foaming and it's perfect. No burning, and balances my skin. I use with the cerave moisturizing lotion at night. So far I'll be repurchasing, and I'll edit if anything changes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by dianelarsenemail

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used both the Foaming facial cleanser and the hydrating facial cleanser and i found that the hydrating is much more gentle on the skin and does not cause any redness where as the foaming facial cleanser is much harsher and even irritated my skin a little. I'm not sure why but i have found that cleansers that really lather up tend to make my face more irritated than cleansers that have a gel like consistency. I did not care for this cleanser as much as the hydrating, but don't get me wrong, i sure do love my CERAVE!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2013 8:20:00 PM More reviews by shannbronzo1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

OMG......I have sensitive skin....I used this for a day and a half.......just used it for the last time. My skin is ANGRY red and BURNING!!!!! Not sure why......got this based on Paula B's recommendation.....it is NOT a best product, not for me anyway. Not gentle, I'm sorry, but ladies be careful. Sticking to my Olay or Neutrogena sensitive skin wash.

EDIT: TOTALLY forgot to add.....I have seen many comment on the niacinamide in this wash being the potential irritant....I use Olay Regenerist Day Lotion religiously and it has niacinamide and I DO NOT experience this irritation with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Calliopi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a very good non-drying cleanser. It removes makeup well (in 2 washes). It never causes any redness or irritation and it foams up great! Definitely recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 12:57:00 PM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff is the bomb.

When I was in my 20s and suffering my first adult acne bout (why those of us who escape teenage acne have to then suffer for the remainder of adulthood with cysts and breakouts is beyond my understanding of justice), I remember the dermatologist recommending Cetaphil. And I don't remember liking it. So no, this is not the same thing. (Both sensitive cleansers, maybe, but this one is specifically formulated for oily skin AND has niacinimide, ceramides, and hyaluronic acid--way more beneficial than bare bones Cetaphil IMO). I want pluses for my skin, not minuses and not just "sames".

Recently, I've gotten all obsessed with reading Paula's Choice and MUA reviews and trying out the products that are a hit on both sites. (I recently moved climates again, which always throws my skin for a loop and results in sporadic, painful breakouts, whiteheads, cysts, the works, and sends me spinning in circles on the hunt for new products). Paula and MUA users rave about this. So I gave it a try.

At first I used it with a Clarisonic. Looked great for a while, skin probably was swelling up a little and looking like it had fewer pores (a trick, I later discovered, and not real pore refinement). Recently returned the Clarisonic (not worth it) and started using it morning and night...I just love it. I keep going back to it. I even pushed it on my fiance.

The top dermatologists say all you need is a gentle cleanser--not the harsh acids, alcohols, and God knows what else I tortured my face with in my 20s. This is it. But with PLUSES...all those skin-identical/cell-communicating ingredients have been shown to repair the moisture barrier (mine was damaged from Clinique's alcohol-laden acne system, a true fail), lighten dark spots and acne marks (niacinimide), plump up the skin (hyaluronic acid), and even stimulate collagen production.

A huge bottle with a pump for a cleanser specifically designed for acne-prone, oily skin, which also hydrates, plumps, and protects? Um, yes please.

On the Cerave bottles and web site you will notice they recommend:

1. Wash with Cerave cleanser
2. use your regular treatment products
3. Use Cerave moisturizer

So don't expect the cleanser or moisturizer to work miracles on your acne--it's not meant for that. There are no "actives" in this--no BHA/salicylic acid, no benzoyl peroxide...I use the Cerave cleansers and moisturizers as directed: before and after my regular (Paula's choice BHA, benzoyl, antioxidant serum) treatment products. In my opinion, they increase these products' effectiveness while preventing them from drying out and irritating my skin. Pretty sure that's what they say they will do. Love it. (PS I also have the Cerave lotion, cream, and Am/Pm facial moisturizers...oh, and hand cream. Not a disappointing product from this company yet!)
---------------
UPDATE 12/7: Oh nooooo! I let my fiance borrow this (he usually uses a 10% benzoyl peroxide cleanser), and he kept saying he was breaking out after using it for a few days. I thought that was ridiculous, but then I started thinking about it, and since I've started using this (over 2 months now), I have had a new cyst/breakout spot almost every single day. I stopped using two days ago (and I've added an AHA/BHA peel), and haven't had those new zits popping up. Say it ain't so; I really wanted to love it, but alas, the risk that this is what's been causing these breakouts is just to high to keep using it. I have no idea what's in it that may be doing this, but I wish I'd have figured this out sooner and maybe not had to spend like $500 trying to find acne-fighting products to combat breakouts that were probably coming from my cleanser!!!

----
UPDATE 2/25/14: I have gone back and tried this a couple times and didn't get immediate breakouts, but I'm still nervous to use it daily. Have switched to a drugstore benzoyl peroxide cleanser (AcneFree or Target brand, with 2.5% BP) and it's taking care of those pesky breakouts. I am still using Cerave lotion and cream on my body, and have returned to their AM and PM (and eye cream!) for my face. I love the Cerave brand and am sad the cleansers (also tried the hydrating one) haven't really worked for me. But seeing as I now have my breakouts somewhat under control from the BP, I feel I may have misjudged a lot of products I was using during my crazy tailspin of trying a billion different products over a few weeks and pointing the finger at all of them with even one "comedogenic" ingredient. The more I read, the more I start to doubt the science of "comedogenicity" tests and doubt my own past judgments of products like these. So, I could see myself returning to this for use with my Clarisonic when I don't need the BP cleanser twice a day.

PS try their moisturizers...all of them. all great!

---4/13/14 update...back to using this stuff I can't help it. It feels so good. And guess what? What I thought was my HG cleanser and toner, PC Skin Balancing, and/or her healthy finish powder, were likely breaking me out! Sorry I keep blaming you, Cerave...I do love this brand. Second day using it...along with the AM, PM, and eye cream as pretty much my entire regimen (simplifying). Feeling good. Looking like I'm healing up. Skin feels plump and healthy. Dare I say this stuff actually makes my pores look a little smaller too?

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by girrlbot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is all time favorite cleanser and I've already repurchased it! It's very gentle and effective. It removes makeup like a charm and it doesn't leave my skin feeling tight or dry. My facial redness and minor acne cleared up immensely after I started using this months ago. I'll never be without it! Thanks r/SkincareAddiction for teaching me about this!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Trolo123

Really Good!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2013 9:20:00 AM More reviews by LeiMar86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

So far so good! i bought this along with the AM and PM moisturizers in the hopes that using gentle products would help my minor acne and clogged pores. I really like this cleanser, although it doesn't remove my eye makeup if I forget to take it off beforehand. After using all three products consistantly together for the past month or so, I can definitely tell a difference in my skin; its a lot smoother and brighter. My skin never feels tight or "squeaky clean" after rinsing, just smooth and soft. I used to use Cetaphil for normal skin, and while I love that, and find it is very comparable to the CeraVe, I like that the CeraVe is unscented. Cetaphil has a very fake artificially sweet scent that I can't stand anymore.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2013 3:21:00 AM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been looking for months for a gentle facial wash that doesn't worsen the condition of my sensitive skin. This did not work for me - made my skin red and irritated, worsened my perioral dermatitis.
I think my facial skin reacts badly to the niacinamide in some Cerave products. However, my body skin does really well with the normal Cerave body moisturizer.