April 17, 2014 | 1151 users online

Shampoo - The Body Shop - Ginger Shampoo Normal/Dry hair and Loose Dandruff

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 7:29:00 AM More reviews by Basilic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this shampoo after reading so many positive reviews. On first use my scalp felt a little dry but I kept using it - it's doing a good job of keeping my seborrheic dermatitis at bay and also clarifying greasy roots I get from the condition, which is a big bonus. The smell is ok, more sugary than gingery, however it lathers and rinses very well and doesn't leave any build up. It claims it is for dry hair but I actually find it quite drying alone (perhaps because I leave it on for 5 mins) so I would recommend that you follow with a conditioner.

The packaging is practical and effective so I can't fault it there, it's a little pricey for a shampoo but with stubborn flakes I am happy to pay for something that works and doesn't reek of tar...! I would definitely recommend trying this if you suffer from scalp problems and find that nothing else works.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by amtu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to have horrible hair before trying this product. My hair dresser reccommened it to me, and it was a game changer so to speak. Another reviewer posted that it made their hair frizzy, I foudnt this as well. I simply paired it with a mositurizing conditioner and that took car of the frizz. My hair is now silky and soft and it no longer looks like "snow" on my head.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by supercat12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was looking for a shampoo for my mild dandruff/itchy scalp, and hoped this would be it. I seem to be the rare person this didn't work for. It may have worked on my scalp, but it made my hair unbelievably dry, frizzy, and unmanageable. I'm really sad, because it smells great!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2012 6:53:00 PM More reviews by Muartsy

I love the scent and the performance of this shampoo!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by rachelmoo

The ginger shampoo has a nice herbal smell and it really solve my dandruff problem. I just need to let the foam to stay longer on my hair and it really cleanse the oil on my scalp too. Although my hair might become dry, I can solve it with some hair treatment.

My best tip for everybody is to blow dry your hair immediately after shower to prevent the moisture from feeding the fungal which caused dandruff on your hair.

This is one of the best Body Shop shampoos out there. Yahoo for solving my dandruff problem. It is a good feeling to wake up with no white flakes on my pillow. (*^0^*)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2011 2:30:00 PM More reviews by msbl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The shampoo was great for my itchy scalp. It left my hair and scalp feeling refresh. I don't like that it does not have a ,atching conditioner. The other body shop conditioner was a waste of money.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 10:46:00 PM More reviews by rnancy

Every so often The Body Shop discontinues this line, but with strategic sale buying I have not depleted my Ginger Shampoo supply in several years. I used to have light dandruff (or flaky scalp) and tried other, harsher dandruff shampoos. Nothing seemed to work (except to give me stinky hair). This shampoo has worked for me for years. Now I use it every other day or so... and that is good enough. I will buy again and again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2011 3:10:00 AM More reviews by mysome1tba

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm writing this on behalf of my husband. For years he complained about his itchy scalp and flakes. Indeed, it was a problem. He tried all of the drugstore dandruff shampoos. The zinc ones didn't work and made his head break out. The tar ones turned his head black. Finally, he let me step in, and he was willing to try a more expensive "girly" product. I chose this one based on the reviews.

This shampoo worked immediately. It has been a miracle product. He's on his 3rd bottle. We like that it's natural and doesn't have the side effects of the chemically ones from the drugstore. I could run my hand through his hair now. I could see how healthy his scalp is. He's not itchy anymore and is so much happier. Wife to the rescue!

It did stop working for about a week and he said he started to let it sink in a little more and it started working again.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by redchinamarker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to have a lot of flaky, scabby, itchy spots on my scalp and was constantly picking at them without thinking. At least once or twice every day I would pick off a flake about the size of an eraser head. Since starting to use this a week ago, I have completely stopped picking at my head, presumably because my scalp is no longer flaky and itchy. This product is a godsend!

Keep in mind, I haven't tried any of the cheaper dandruff shampoos so I don't know if this is really special. The scent is not great, but it's fine. I love the smell of fresh ginger but this is more of a cooked, sweetened scent. It doesn't lather very easily (and I *hate* to use a lot of shampoo) but I think the extra effort to massage it all through my scalp and hair only adds to the clarifying effect. My hair feels EXTREMELY clean and soft (not oily soft-- CLEAN soft) afterwards. It was so drying that my hair, which usually air dries into heavy waves, actually dried into a fine tangly mess until I realized I needed to carefully untangle it with my fingers first. My thick, heavy hair has never been this fine and soft. I love it!

Update: I've now been using this for more than a year and a half. It works so well that I forgot how bad my hair used to be. I ran out a few weeks ago and started using various shampoos that I found around the house (Nexxus, a Lush bar, Shisheido). Almost immediately a thick layer of grease built up on my scalp, I became a dandruff machine, and the itchy, scaly flakes came back with a vengeance. No thank you!!! I learned my lesson and repurchased this shampoo.

Update 2: I've now been using this for about 2.5 years. Trust me, I have NEVER stuck with a hair product this long. Look, this shampoo isn't for everyone, but if you suspect you have seborrhoeic dermatitis then try it. It contains Piroctone Olamine which is not a common ingredient in American shampoos. I believe this is the cheapest Piroctone Olamine shampoo available.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by huka07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

didn't work on my scalp at all