December 19, 2014 | 1711 users online

Powder - Tarte - Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 2:04:00 PM More reviews by lingre

LOVE this powder. I cant say anything bad about it at all. I was using the MUFE HD finishing powder which is light and powdery like this one but this is better if you are a bit more oily and cant reapply. I also love that this really holds your makeup in place- eye makeup, concealer over a blemish, etc! I just adore this powder, I guess the only thing I can say is that I wish it was also in a pressed powder because I am often putting my makeup on, on the go and the loose powder can be a bit tricky.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2013 10:10:00 AM More reviews by lupita465

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great powder....I do not get a white cast .... Makes my pores look almost invisible. Does a good job setting my foundation. I do not have oily skin so the oil control was not my worry. I was worried about looking dry and ashy....did not happen...I actually want to try the Amazonian full coverage powder foundation...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by WynterOlly

A little about me and my skin: I am 15 years old, female, fair skin with a very warm/golden undertone (think "warm vanilla", "light-medium" or "fair glow" for colors). My skin is extremely sensitive. I have NO acne problems or redness. However. My forehead is very bumpy with little flesh colored bumps (milia.) clogged pores because my skin can't exfoliate at all on it's own. I've cleared most of them up with exfoliation. It's taken forever. I've had these bumps for a good three years. Between clearing them up with masks, scrubs, and gentle cleansers, I slather my face with makeup to hide them and make my forehead look smooth. Bad move.

.....my allergy to makeup creates a never ending, sad cycle: if I were to stop makeup, the bumpy complexion on my forehead would disappear. But I can't stop.

This powder....HG. It fills in my little bumps like a primer would, giving my forehead a smooth, soft look. The best part? My skin doesn't react to it at all. My milia is fading. My skin is looking smooth and clear. With the help of this powder, I HAVE ENDED MY DISFUNTIONAL RELARIONSHIP WITH FOUNDATION. Thank you, Tarte. Once all my milia goes away, I'll say goodbye to this lovely powder too, and hello to a smooth bare face. Xoxo!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 5:41:00 PM More reviews by Rsanzio

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

How have I lived this long without this product? It's completely revolutionized the way I put on concealer.

I used to set concealer with a really fine powder, but even a Chanel or La Praire would make it look cakey. I was testing different concealers last night at Sephora, happens to grab this as something to set them with, and life changes.

The grit is so fine, the luminescence so glowing that it is beyond perfect for setting concealer. It finally made it possible for me to set concealer without worry that it will start looking crappy.

Faces are like cars, it's all about priming your palate. This powder is simply amazing?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 3:03:00 PM More reviews by albs

Following several years of foundation disappointment (I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist) I decided to cut foundation out of my routine and just use concealer and translucent powder. I happened to have this in my collection and it wasn't getting a lot of love, so I began to use it. I've been loving it. It sets my concealer, blurs the appearance of pores (a big skincare issue with me) and keeps my skin mattified but in a natural looking way. In all honesty it almost looks like I have foundation on in the way that my skin looks much more perfected. I buff it on with the Real Techniques Buffing Brush. It's pricey but it's going to last me a very long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have a bunch of deluxe samples and that's what led me to buying the larger size because I really like this powder. I have been using it for a long time now and for Winter it's great for me as it doesn't accentuate flakes! I do peels and I can get flakey and some powders just make it look hideous but Tarte's does not imo. For me I have combo skin and it gets dry in the colder months so this is excellent for me. The powder is super soft and for my pale self I don't have a white cast at all. Instead it gives my skin a soft focus finish without making my blush lighter. The key with this is it really is a finishing powder so when I use this at the end my makeup stays great. It really lasts and oil control is there I do not get very oily with this, or need to blot more.

Also the big one lasts ages I even have the samples that I use for travel because you really only need a little bit to set your face. I do full face most the time or even when I go simple this powder is what I reach for because of how well it works. I also find if I have a spot once I conceal I add a dot of this over and the zit stays hidden. So it locks in makeup really well in my case. My foundation doesn't cake or get melty with this either. It also doesn't settle in fine lines or creases which I love! Great powder and one I will continue to use because the results are consistent. So Recommended!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2013 4:58:00 PM More reviews by edurling

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have had the oiliest of skin for foreverrrrrr and the only products that ever worked to control oil broke me out. This product works! its not perfect but it keeps me looking decent, oil wise, for hours at a time. i agree that the packaging isnt great (though i got a special edition and its super cute) the way i use it is i screw the lid on and bang it upside on the table a couple times. then i take a kabuki brush and apply it. its expensive but it lasts a while.
tips:
-make sure your face is clean of oil before you apply otherwise the whitish cast is noticible
-finish applying ALL concealer/foundation first. it will repel the oil in any makeup applied on top and look weird. works well OVER makeup

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 9:57:00 PM More reviews by briloveschocolatebunnies

It surprises me greatly that the reviews are so good for this.

The price was steep, but I decided with all the popularity, that it had to be worth it so I bought the travel size version. I was not impressed. First of all, the packaging (as many mention) is very difficult. You lose product everytime if you dispense by pushing down over the hole (as the tutorial clip from Tarte describes). Even in the tutorial clip that Tarte gives, you can see some of it escaping.

Second of all, I think it gives kind of a whitish cast on the face noticeable in photos. Even if you use a small amount---definitely doesn't seem to work well for pictures.

On the plus side, it did not break me out which was good. And yes, it does control oil. It does a pretty good job. But there's got to be something better out there, especially for this price. If you are thinking of trying it out, you may want to look into the travel size so you won't spend so much if you don't like it. The travel size is available via Amazon.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This powder is my HG of setting powders! It's seriously amazing. I bought it after a recommendation at Sephora. The SA told me that it's a true translucent powder, there's zero pigment in it which means it's truly clear. The moment I tried it on my hand I couldn't stop touching it! The powder made it so soft and silky, and I noticed that the lines in my hand were even minimized! So after putting it on my face I had the same results. Absolutely amazing. Kept my makeup in place all day. No shine, perfect finish, airbrushed look. I didn't really notice a whole difference in my actual skin , like no difference in pore size but when I applied it I could notice something. As for packaging I think it's genius. This pot can last me a year or more! The little hole keeps you from using more than you need! It's worth every penny!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by Aneizy

Wow. This stuff is seriously amazing. I hated my colored pressed powder, it made me look cakey, made my dry patches stand out, and kept me matte for about 30 min! I went on a hunt for the translucent powders. My first pick was the HD one, but the makeupally reviews weren't that great.. Then I came across this one. I went to sephora and the moment I touched it I knew I had to buy it. It is VERRY VERY super fine. It feels softer than air, it blends beautifully into the skin and makes it feel abnormally smooth. After using this for about 5 days my blackheads have diminished, and my pores look smaller. And I know I will see more results as time goes by. I went around sephora trying all the translucent powders and this is definitely the best one. I noticed urban decays super cute convenient compact one had very good reviews too, but when I tried to smooth it into my skin it was not as soft and white powder settled into my lines. At school I will go in the br, pull this out and swirl my finger into the tiny bit that's settled in the cap , then gently smooth over in circular motions on my oily areas (tip of nose, bridge of nose, middle forehead) it's so soft it doesn't mess up my foundation or make it cakey, it fills my pores and creates a complete matte finish. Completely amazing.