Ellis Faas Concealer

4.3

AQUA, DIMETHICONE, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, ZINC STEARATE, GLYCERIN, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, SORBITAN ISOSTEARATE, CAPRYLYL DIMETHICONE ETHOXYGLUCOSIDE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CETYL DIMETHICONE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, SILICA, METHYLPARABEN, POTASSIUM SORBATE, PROPYLPARABEN, SORBITOL, MICA, TRIISOSTEARIN, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL GLYCERIDES, SQUALANE, LAURETH-4, ORYZA SATIVA CERA, HYDROGENATED PALM GLYCERIDES, TOCOPHEROL, BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII EXTRACT, HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, ASCOBYL PALMITATE, PHYSTOSTERYL ISOSTEARATE, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, FRUCTOSE, GLUCOSE, SUCROSE, UREA, DEXTRIN, ALANINE, GLUTAMIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID. MAY CONTAIN [ /-] CI77891, CI77491, CI77492, CI77499, CI77007, CI77288, CI77289.

on 9/20/2011 8:05:00 AM

This is a difficult review to write. The product itself is by far the best concealer that I've ever used. However, the delivery system is totally useless. I have had this for exactly one week and already I'm unable to get any more product out of the pen. I took it away on a trip with me last week and it drove me crazy trying to get the concealer out. It was taking at least 15 clicks for any product to appear in the brush, and then a huge globule of it came out and was wasted. I followed the instructions on the EF website and watched the video when I first got this, so I'm doing it right. This product is far too expensive to have so many problems with, and as someone pointed out in another review, the brush technology has been around for years, so I just don't understand what the problem is here. I realise my review says little about the concealer itself - however I believe that packaging and product delivery totally detract from the quality of the concealer. I had been ready to buy another concealer in a lighter shade, plus the Skin Veil, but I'm not prepared to spend any more money on this line until the packaging is improved. I believe the Skin Veil is available in a bottle, larger size than the pen and of course a higher price.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Whoa. This is a *great* concealer, especially for under the eye. Doesn't crease, doesn't look fake. Good coverage for a click-pen concealer. The product is so good that I'm forgiving them for the (beautiful but) bulky and finicky packaging.

The ecstatic reviews from bloggers made me try this, even though I had vowed to stop buying makeup I couldn't test in person. I got the lightest color, S201, since I'm a little paler than NC15 and warm-toned. The 201 is pale enough and it has a slight peachy-pink undertone that works well to mute my blue eye-bags. I don't know whether 202 would be better; I'll have to wait until I can try it in person, since I'm not in a position to gamble another $40.

But here's the glory part: This really doesn't crease. It doesn't seem to fade in the course of a normal day. You can't detect it on, or at least, I can't. You don't need much and it works really, really well. I've also used it around my nose and even on my melasma, though I usually prefer the more opaque coverage of my Becca concealers on those areas.

But the packaging! The bullet-shaped pens are lovely to look at. But they're huge --- 6 1/2 inches long and more than a half-inch in diameter. No way does this fit in my purse and it takes up a lot of space in a carry-on bag. It takes forever to prime the pen for the first use. And even after priming, it's hard to predict how much will come out. I have click pens from many manufacturers -- click pens are not new technology! -- and the Ellis Faas is by far the most finicky and unpredictable. What's up with that?

EDITED TO ADD (4/15): Yes, I did buy this again recently and I think the pen is markedly better, easier to prime and easier to predict when the product is about to ooze out (you can feel a slight resistance now when you've clicked enough). I have no problem fitting into my rushed morning makeup now. And something I forgot earlier: The concealer dries more matte than the foundation, which is a good thing for blemishes and under the eye -- who wants shine attracting attention there? But if you use this as a concealer on brown spots or birthmarks, as I do, you might want to apply it under the foundation, so that you don't inadvertently end up with matte spots in your otherwise natural/satin finish.

on 8/18/2011 5:55:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I just started on my second pen of this concealer (the first one lasted over a year). Really love this versatile stuff! I mainly use it under the inner corners of my eyes and on red areas near my nose and on my chin. I dot it on (only need a little! It's very pigmented), and then tap it into skin with my ring finger (this is the recommended method from her website). Looks natural, doesn't cake, good wear time, quick and simple application. I don't have issues with the pen. I do shake the pen before each use and only click once or twice, waiting for the concealer to appear. Minor quibbles: This does require a bit of patience, and I'm hoping the pen applicators will continue to improve. I am quite fair and pink-toned, but I found 101 to be just a touch too light (which gives me reverse raccoon eyes) and 102 is *almost* too dark, although it melds with my skin and looks good. An ideal match would be somewhere in between these 2 colors, but I use so little it's not really an issue.

Note: If you do have any issues, I have found Ellis Faas' customer service to be unequaled. They are very responsive and friendly.

on 7/26/2011 2:56:00 AM

Have tried virtually every concealer on the planet; read a review of this and when I was in Amsterdam last week, I stopped by "Skins" a cosmetic store on Runstraat and purchased this concealer. Love it, great color, seems to last, does not make me break out (amazing) and I regret not purchasing another before I left for the US

on 7/20/2011 3:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Utterly amazing concealer. It blows every other one I've ever used out of the water. It looks like skin. It covers. The texture is sublime. It's easy to blend. It lasts. It looks natural in any light. It doesn't settle into lines. What more can you ask? The pen component works very well with this product (not so much with the foundation), too. Forget Bobbi Brown and her thick, cakey correctors and concealers you have to labor over to get to look remotely natural; forget CdP with its four colors and thick texture; forget Touche Eclat. Just buy this and you'll be happy. It's worth every penny. I wear S102 in this as I do in the foundation.

on 6/7/2011 7:39:00 PM

Would I buy this again? Hell yes! I'm an addict and have bought 4 of these babies in different shades for my makeup kit.
I use this little silver pen every day for blemishes, dark under eyes, redness, and anything in between. Some days I will go without foundation and just use this blended over my problem areas. It gives such a natural finish, I cant believe it's a concealer I'm rubbing all over my face! But don't be deceived, this product is really pigmented and gives great coverage.
This is the only TRUE multi-purpose concealer I've found, which covers blemishes completely but is smooth and non-cakey under your eyes.

on 5/15/2011 4:01:00 AM

This is the best, most natural looking concealer I have ever found.
I've tried Touche Eclait (the men's version) to cover up my dark circles and it just did not leave a natural finish.
Just so you know ladies - us men need alittle help with appearance too so no matter what high-end, latest technology eye cream I use, I still get told "you look tired" - well, not anymore!
I do recommend you finish with a little powder just to stop it from caking.

on 5/4/2011 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Run - don't walk - to your nearest stockist to get this stuff. I have over the years tried just about every high-end concealer in my quest to cover dark circles, take a few years off, and look natural. This is it. It's creamy, is just the right weight, blends beautifully (nearly undetectable but still covers - how do they do that?) and comes in very natural colours. This is soooo much better than any cult concealer like Touche Eclat (don't get the fuss about that product at all). It's a little pricey, but really is worth every cent.

on 4/26/2011 10:57:00 AM

A great concealer that does a great double duty of covering undereye circles AND blemishes perfectly. It's a nice consistency for application and stays put quite well. Definitely one of the best concealers I've tried, and far and above the best one that stands up to the challenge of both under-eyes and spot coverage.

The packaging is a bit finicky, but I haven't had it explode all over me by any means, if anything it just takes a bit longer to come out sometimes than I'd prefer.

So far it's lasted me at least 3-4 months with daily use. Not sure how much is left, I'll update if I remember when it runs out.

on 11/28/2010 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As a person who suffers from (what I consider) puffy and slightly dark eyebags, this product was a godsend. The highly pigmented liquid was easily applied, and dispersed very evenly across my problem area.

For me, the most appealing aspect of this concealer was the fact that it actually COVERED my puffs and bags. If you're one of those people who search endlessly for the HG of under-eye concealers - this may be a great start. I loved the packaging of the product; it's beautiful, slips into any handbag or makeup kit and looks great!

The few downsides that I found with this product was that although it looked terrific on, and only took seconds to apply, you still need to apply primer, and setting powder afterward. This in itself is no issue, however once you've turned the nob 15 times and nothing comes out only to turn it once more and half the product explodes all over you takes a bit of trickery to manage.

I found that I needed a touch up maybe three times during the day - something I think is OK, considering my skin is oil prone.

All in all this concealer is my absolute second favorite so far in my search! Ease of use, coverage, packaging, blending and the amount of pigmentation is perfect. For the record, I've tried everything from Covergirl to YSL to Dermablend, and this has been the best thus far.

I'm currently trying Jane Iredale's Circle/Delete, which so far seems even better! I'll let you know how I go. This is a fairly high-end product, and if you can afford the wastage that the packaging seems to insist upon - then go for it!

Top Rated Ellis Faas Products