April 16, 2014 | 874 users online

Sunscreen - Kiehls - Super Fluid UV Defense Spf 50+

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2011 1:58:00 PM More reviews by franzvonstuck

If youīre looking for a great daily uv protection, this is it.
I never believed I would find a high protection cream for my face. Other creams were always feeling greasy, sticky or simply causing my acne to break out.
Not this one. Itīs super fluid, no cream, more like a light gel-cream and it feels like you have no extra layer in your face.
I use my serum and cream first, then the uv-fluid and if I want to wear make up, I put it on last. In the sumertime, I use no serum, only a thin layer of my moisturizer.
I recommend this to all skin types, but as another reviewer said, please test if youīre allegic to the chemical filters. I got a sample from kiehlīs and tested it.
Depending on your skin type, you can decide whether to use a serum or cream or both underneath to get what your skin needs.
I need it because of my acne-prone skin ad a tendency to hyperpigmetation.My dermatologist told me to use a high spf to prevent ageing spots etc.
Update 01/12/2012
This has become my HG of sunscreens! I use it literally every day under my make-up and never ever had a break out or irritation from this. No white cast, no greasy feeling and I cannot even tell, Iīm wearing sunscreen, because itīs so lightweight.
I cannot praise enough, how good this sunscreen performs under your make up, because it doesnīt interfere by making your skin greasy or slippery, so the make up wonīt stay on.
When Iīm wearing no make up on weekends, this still is better than any other sunscreen, because it leaves your skin looking natural and not matte or shiny. Again, really invisible on your face in the best way.
And no weird smell or awkward feeling on your skin.
I recommeded this to the SA at my cosmetics department and she was hooked on this stuff too and could not praise it enough. She told me, even her boyfriend liked the sunscreen.
I have problems with ageing spots and a melasma on my upper lip, so this is a must have for me. And Iīm using Aveneīs D-Pigment to remove the ageing spots and Adapalene to treat the melasma. Both contain retin-a, which forces you to use a high spf every day or you just ruin your skin.
It makes me so glad, that I found this little gem and believe me, I tried many sunscreens from La Roche Posay, Avene to Korres. Every other sunscreen just disappointed me and if you MUST use a sunscreen every day, youīre really screwed, if you donīt find a good one. I admit, itīs expensive, but it would be more expensive for me if I bought millions of serums and creams to remove the damage on my face from the sun. This is sunscreen in perfection for me. I havenīt found a better sunscreen on the market yet.
Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2011 7:37:00 PM More reviews by xnobzx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Finding a facial sunscreen that not only worked to protect my ultra fair skin but also did not cause break outs on my acne prone skin, cause a burning sensation, and felt light has been the bane of my existence for YEARS!!! I have super oily fair skin and burn VERY easily and this stuff actually does everything it says it is going to do. It is so rare to find a product that lives up to its claims but this one does! I have tried everything from Clinique, Shisedo, Clarins, Neutrogena, Bannaboat, you name it! The only other sunscreen that I have had good results with is the Chanel UV Essential but that one is too pricey considering I have to use this stuff every day of the year(yes I am THAT fair). I was worried about the liquid texture because I imagined it would run into my eyes and cause them to burn like other sunscreens do when I sweat but so far this stuff has not done that yet and I wore this during a 5 mile charity run for leukemia in June and had no burning at all! Amazing product, new HG sunscreen, will buy again and again. I'm already on my second bottle!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2011 10:45:00 PM More reviews by ElegantStyle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am really impressed with this suncreen. I used to use Sofina White Proctect, until it was discontinued. I moved on to eltaMD Clear SPF46 and I am very happy with it, but the cost is high. Chanel UV Essential SPF 50 is so amazing with high percent of protection, but the price is so high! I went through 1 oz in a week and a half!
The cost of Kiehls Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50 is a lot better and the texture is just the same with all of the other ones I've used. There is some sheen to this one and the scent is too strong, but, if the SPF protection is good, this is worth it! I will come back to update and see how well it will work this summer.
UPDATE: It is now October and here is my update. I find that this can get very greasy on my skin. The formulation is not good for hot weather and if it runs into your eyes, it burns like a mother fckr. This might be better more the winter season, but I can't say Clarins UV would be any better. I should have tried Chanel UV again in the summer. Next year, I want to try Chanel & Clarins and see if it can get greasy as Kiehl's. I don't want to discourage anyone from buying this. This is worth getting.
UPDATE: I stopped using this totally. I still find it to be too greasy and my rating is lowered. It is colder here and I am not impressed how it runs into my eyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Thata

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Someone said: "DONT BUY IT", that this gave her a reaction in which the skin around her face started to get inflamed. I tried it and know many people who also use and like it so when a product has such reactions, don't assume it's not a good product, your skin probably didn't agree with it or maybe you used some other ingredient from another product with it that didn't go well together. I'm not in love with it but it's a good product that does what it's supposed to, I mean, it's just my personal opinion.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/17/2011 8:14:00 PM More reviews by ddeni

Having heard good reviews on Kiehl's products, I decided to buy their sunscreen because I liked the light-weight, high spf, oil-free and non-fragrance quality. It did live up to those qualities. Although pricey, I thought it would be worth it.

BUT if you have sensitive skin, DO NOT PURCHASE. I wore it for the first time and had an immediate reaction, the skin around my face started to get inflamed. The product claims to be "Test under dermatological control" but I don't know how far their testing goes.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2011 2:31:00 PM More reviews by sullenmoon

Just came back from a week in the USVI, where the sun was super strong. I had a sample vial of this with me, along with other sunscreen. I ended up using this daily and came home lightly toasted, no burn...which for my fair skin and love of the sun was an achievement. This is much easier to use than Anthelios, because it goes on very lightly. There is no need to rub it into your skin for ten minutes to prevent a white mask, yet it protects thoroughly. I snorkled, swam, and spent loads of time in the water, and this worked perfectly. I am purchasing a full bottle for the summer...love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2011 4:12:00 AM More reviews by saban

I love this product to pieces! I got a sample tube and decided to try it out even though I'm really not fond of Kiehls at all.

I'm so glad I tried it. It's super runny which I wasn't expecting for such a high spf. The consistency is like milk and it has to be well shaken.

All you need is a little bit and it absorbs into skin super fast. It feels like oil when being applied but leaves the skin feeling just slightly moisturized. This is a great product to use over lotions and it doesn't peel off once you apply make-up over it like a lot of sunscreens do.

The best part is that it seems totally compatible with all the products I use and it hasn't made me break out at all. If only it was a tad cheaper or a tad bigger bottle I would marry it.

But either way I'm going to be using this sunscreen for a long time and if it ever gets discontinued I'm going to have to hoard it like toilet paper after the apocalypse.

UPDATE 7/12/12

So after about 3 weeks of continual use, it made me break out. I stopped using it while my face cleared up and when I would wear it for more than 2 days in a row I felt a breakout about to happen. I still have about half a bottle left that I will use on my hands and arms but I can't use this on my face anymore.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2011 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Spiderwort

I bought this a week ago because I needed a sunscreen that didn't give me a white cast after application. This sunscreen gives me great protection and didn't leave a white cast at all. The only downside is the smell because it really smells like sunscreen when you put it on. However, I asked my friends to smell me (and they were really close to my face too) at school to see if it still smelled and the smell went away. So I guess I can only smell it for a few minutes when I put it on. It's really expensive too for the amount you get. It's the smallest sunscreen bottle i've ever seen!! But then again, it's true that you really don't need a lot since it's a very liquid and runny texture. This texture allows the sunscreen to absorb really quick onto the skin. Your skin may feel oily after your application but it'll mattifies after a few minutes. So far, it didn't gave me break out or little white bumps but I'll try a few more weeks before deciding if this will break me out or not. The packaging is a small squeezable bottle so it's pretty sanitary. Overall, it's a great product and I definitely recommend it.

UPDATE : I tried it for about a month now. It didn't give me any break out at all and it made my acne scar fade faster. I definitely recommend it!! =)

UPDATE 2 : I still use this daily (though i do skip it on rainy days) and it's been a few months now. It didn't gave me any pimples at all! I love this. Definitely my HG sunscreen!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2010 4:22:00 AM More reviews by chanelangel

This is the best sunscreen ever. I wish they had one for the body too. It absorbs really fast and is not oily. It does not clog pores like some sunscreens I have used. I always stock up on it because it seems to always sell out.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2010 9:29:00 PM More reviews by lipstickgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great sunscreen. I love that it is so liquid - the Kiehls rep suggested blending a small amount of this with my moisturizer, which is easier than applying two layers. Smells a bit like sunscreen coming out of the bottle, but the scent vanishes once on my skin. I've only been using it a week, but so far so good. Makeup goes on easily over it, and as long as it's an effective sunscreen (which it appears to be) we are good to go! It's a tad pricey but I like it so much better than the Neutrogena sheerblock sunscreen I was using.