The Body Shop Big and Curvy Mascara

2.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Beeswax (Emulsifier/Emollient), Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Stabiliser), Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer (Hair Fixative), Tribehenin (Skin Conditioning Agent), Triethanolamine (pH Adjuster), Stearic Acid (Emulsifier), Palmitic Acid (Surfactant), Acacia Senegal Gum (Film Former), Panthenol (Skin/Hair Conditioning Agent), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Phenethyl Alcohol (Fragrance Ingredient), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), PPG-2 Methyl Ether (Solvent), Phenylpropanol (Solvent), Piperonal (Fragrance Ingredient), Hydroxyethylcellulose (Stabiliser/Thickener), Polyimide-1 (Film Former), Myristamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Myristic Acid (Emulsifier), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Lauric Acid (Surfactant - Cleansing Agent), Alcohol Denat. (Solvent/Diluent), Iron Oxides (Colour).

on 6/11/2012 6:47:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this free with a magazine and as I was running out of mascara it was a good surprise. It's not the best mascara on earth, it has a strange honeyish smell and the brush drags way too much product out of the tube. It also has a really strange look, the bristles are really short.
I never tried it alone, I use it after another one of my mascaras to add a bit of volume. It does an OK job, nothing amazing, but as I didn't pay for it I don't mind, I'll finish the tube and leave it at that.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

Got this free in a magazine was looking forward to using it cos I really like TBS products - but unfortunately this sucks!

Cons
- There doesn't seem to be an excess remover which means you waste product wiping off the wand
- The bristles are simply too short to do anything, a shame I thought the thin brush would let me get in and do the small lashes
- The formula is really "wet" (I know some don't mind this - but this was big no no for me)
- Anything more than a light coat = serious wet clumps, if you have lashes that curl prepare to look like a contract - there will be a dotted line on your eyelids.
- Generally messy to remove.

Pros
- It doesn't flake once it dries
- Ok for bottom lashes
- Thankfully only paid 3.70 for it would have been pissed if I had paid a tenner

on 1/3/2012 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I received this as a free gift with purchase and hated it. It smells awful, is very heavy on the lashes, and did nothing to curl or add volume. I gave it away and will not be re-purchasing.

Hate this. Vile mascara, clumpy and not big or curvy. I have to wipe most of it off the wand to get it to go on without huge clumps and even then it still looks crap.

on 7/28/2011 3:07:00 PM

I bought this product with a voucher and chose it as I'd heard good reviews of it. The smell is really horrible. I'm not usually sensitive to perfume in products, and I like the fragrance of cosmetics usually, but this is horrible and really strong. It worked ok as a mascara - not 'big' or 'curvy', just ok. It made my lashes feel crunchy though, and did I mention the smell...

on 7/26/2011 1:17:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

worst mascara i've ever used!!! it does nothing for the lashes.. and there's no curve at all! Also the consistency was too watery as a result you've got mascara all over the place... I had great hopes for this product but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

on 5/29/2011 8:24:00 AM

I loved the outcome of this mascara!! Pretty, pretty lashes - voluminous, black, long and quite separated. Nice brush, nice price. I also loved (exclamation mark!) how easy it was to remove it in the evening. Awesome! So far, a 5 star product.

Sadly, it made my eyes itch a little. Usually, I am not super sensitive but I think this might not be the best mascara if you are wearing lenses. So, I am only giving it 3 stars.

(This review is for the one in the pink tube. I exchanged it for the waterproof version in the blue tube, which is totally different and I hated and would give zero stars. Will go back, too.)

on 5/7/2011 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I got this mascara last night, used it today. I had high hopes, but it didn't meet them. One swipe and it gave me spider lashes. I did a few more and let it dry, and my lashes looked awful. All clumped together and extra crispy looking. It also gave me NO curl, my lashes were sticking straight out. What a waste of $18! I'll be sticking to my regular MAC. Bleh.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I love this stuff! Definently the best mascara I've ever used. It lengthens and emphasizes my lashes better than anything else. Unfortunately, this mascara is just a little too expensive for me to use regularly. I also can't use it this time of year as I suffer from terrible allergies and need a waterproof mascara.

on 3/21/2011 10:04:00 PM

This is the best mascara I have tried so far. I have naturally long curly lashes and don't really mind if my mascara isn't the blackest black so the only thing I look for in a mascara is lack of smudging.

Most mascaras smudge onto the area just under the outside corners of my eyes throughout the day leaving me with darker and darker panda eyes as the day goes on. This one seems to smudge (slightly- only a true make up obsessive would notice) once, I can wipe the smudge off and then carry on with no major make up rehaul needed.

It does go clumpy and nasty after a few months but I chuck my mascaras regularly enough for this not to bother me.

The mascara wand is really good and allows you to get mascara right down to the root of the lash and also do your lower lashes.

I'm still looking for a better mascara but this will do for me for the moment. And I have already repurchased.

Top Rated The Body Shop Products