April 16, 2014 | 1905 users online

Eyeliner - Tarte - EmphasEYES waterproof clay eye shadow & liner

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 2:30:00 PM More reviews by LadyKolie

I have mixed feelings about this product. I just recently started trying cream eyeliners. I huge problem for me is that most of them are, or are claiming to be "water proof". I personally do not want anything that is water proof. Whatever chemical they add to make something waterproof always, always irritates me eyes. Water proof mascaras have made my eye lashes completely fall out and it has taken years to grow them back.

However, I rather liked the clay foundation by Tarte, which also claims it is waterproof though it has nothing in it that irritates my skin or eyes. So I thought I would try the eyeliner. Love the consistency. I dip my brush in the product and smooth in it on the brush using either the lid or my palette. I find it easy to apply and to get the results I wanted. I set it with a little bit of powder just to be sure. I didn't have problems with smudging or flaking even in the North Carolina humidity.
I did however find it difficult to remove. I do an oil cleansing method of removing my makeup which has never failed me, but this was stubborn. I got off as much as I could without scraping off my eye lids, and still some stayed around my lash line. Fine. Well the next day I washed my face in the morning (the way I normally do), and it was still in my lash line. Fine. However, the deal breaker for me was that it burned my eyes. The first application was fine, and wearing it all night was fine. But all of the next day my eyes burned. Nothing was in my eyes. I had used no other new products, and this was the only thing that was different and still in my lash line causing the burning.
Finally, during my shower, I was able to remove the rest of this liner. Thankfully I lost no eyelashes. For whatever reason, whatever chemical they used, burned my eyes all day. I don't know what it is about water proof... but I wish more things were made without it.

I really liked the rich black color, and how easy it was to apply for me using an angled brush. But the burning will keep me from buying it again. /sigh

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2012 9:16:00 PM More reviews by kawanii

The color and pigmentation of this gel eyeliner is pretty good. However, like many gel eyeliners that I have reviewed, this is on the basis of using gel eyeliners on my upper waterline which is a method called "tightlining". This eyeliner did not work because it would smudge on the outer corners after a few hours of wear. It was good to try it out but obviously back to Sephora it goes!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by audaxinlucem

This was my first gel eyeliner I purchased and I recommend it for first time users. The big draw was that the brush was included with the eyeliner pot. It goes on really smoothly and it sets within a couple of seconds but it's not as long-lasting as I hoped. If you want staying power, it definitely needs primer to hold it down.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2012 8:51:00 PM More reviews by Jbarbagallo

Love this eyeliner. Even on the most humid days and through allergy season this eyeliner doesn't budge. It can be applied lightly for a sheer look or a little heavier for a bolder look. I will never use another eyeliner!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2012 2:59:00 PM More reviews by blua

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I bought this for CAD $29. So that makes it like $15 for the brush & gel liner. This is actually my first gel liner. I've only tried liquid or pencil (but find both stray) this actually stays on ALL day, does not smudge or give me a raccoon eye effect later on in the day. It's a nice dark black and is easy enough to work with. I'm not too crazy for the brush, but it is nice. I just don't know how to store it since I lost the protective cap for the one end :(. I will buy again when I run out.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2012 4:26:00 PM More reviews by Pyxxeestyx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Dries immediately upon meeting AIR. Doesn't go on smooth. I had to redo my entire eye afterwards bc this stuff is the worst. Waste of money. But i kept the brush : )

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by ksasi04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a really nice, natural eyeliner. I love that it comes with it's own brush which makes the whole thing a pretty decent value, and I like that it glides on smoothly.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 5:57:00 PM More reviews by poncholefty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this product. I got it in black a sampler pack (I guess that's what you'd call it!) agt Ulta with some eye shadows and a lip stain. I bought it a while back so I don't remember all the details. :) I've taken up tightlining after a LM makeover and watching some YT videos. I don't normally use waterproof makeup, and didn't realize this was WP, but it washes off really easily. It lasts all day, and stays put. It works well for tightlining - for me - and love the way it makes my eyes pop. I would probably buy this again, but it's going to last me forever!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by lestrange

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I was really excited to try these liners when they came out. I immediately bought the bronze one. It was perfect for summer. It's a very beautiful shimmery brown. It's a very smooth formula. I actually really liked using it as an eyeshadow base across my entire lid. The two sided brush it comes with is really great. I use it to apply most of my cream liners. I honestly didn't use it that much since I have so many other products, but a bit into the fall when I went to use it again, it was completely dried out! I was very disappointed at this and it ended up being a waste of a great product (and my money). So if you want to get your money's worth, I recommend this for someone who will use it every day.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 9:36:00 AM More reviews by hansa4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is sort of a comparison between this product, and my first love, Blacktrack.

I first tried this when I bought a Tarte value pack from Sephora. I wasn't expecting anything special, but this product wowed me. For a little while, it completely replaced my MAC Blacktrack.

I find that this stays on my lower lash line better than Blacktrack, but it still migrates by the end of the day. I'm not sure if I have exceptionally watery lids, but I have yet to find an eyeliner that stays put all day. It runs mostly in my outer corner, where my eyes are the most watery but stays put very nicely every where else, which is a huge improvement over Blacktrack.

This product does dry out very quickly, but I found that this increases the staying power on my waterline. However, it makes lining my upper lash line quite difficult.

The perfect combination for me is to use Blacktrack on my upper lash line and this product on my lower lash line. I've yet to find a better combination, and am quite pleased with the results.