OPI 20 Candles On My Cake

4.7

on 10/7/2007 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a vibrant candied-rose cream on me. There is nothing red about it. [disclaimer: I have yellow undertones and everything looks purpler on me]. I can see why some people say off-cherry, though. It's blue-based pink, and it pops like a cherry red. I think it is very beautiful and young on short nails. Unfortunately, in dim light it is just this side of a dull magenta, which I find unflattering. Kind of a pasty raspberry. This is also a color with some ambiguity that can turn on you based on what else you're wearing, even though it's a flat, cream color.

on 6/13/2007 11:37:00 PM

This was the first polish by Opi that I have ever bought. I was chums with one lady on this site and she had a whole list of them up for swap, and I asked for a picture. Things got a little too busy, and I remembered from the boards this same polish, so I bought it. It's a lovely opaque mauve color without looking too old for my age. I've gotten to the point that I wear it on friends' birthdays to not look too weird for their parents and to family events when you can't really be yourself. I would buy this again in a heartbeat!

on 9/27/2006 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I finally get why people buy this expensive polish. It is the best! The consistency is just perfect and the wear, well I guess it's good. I just can't seem to keep one color on long enough before trying out another-I've become addicted to OPI! To me 20 Candles On My Cake is like a tomato/brick color with hints of pink that looks just great on my PPP skin. It is a perfect fall shade for an office gal! I do wish all of the bottles came with the pro wide brush, it is magnificent!

on 8/24/2006 4:01:00 PM

This looks MUCH better on the nails than in the bottle. Had one of my coworkers not been wearing this shade & I loved how it looked on her, I'd have never picked up the bottle on my own to try out.

on 6/28/2006 1:45:00 PM

I bought this polish about 4 years ago and I haven't been able to find it at any nail salon since then. This color is a muted tomato/brick red next to my PPP skin. This is a perfect color for a pedicure. I receive lots of compliments when I wear this shade.

on 5/30/2006 8:28:00 PM

Love this! Definitely a favorite. I'm very pale (NC15) and I have a hard time wearing reds. This is just muted enough to work beautifully! This has become one of my winter standards for my toes. And, like other OPIs, it goes on beautifully. A real winner.

on 2/16/2006 11:23:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a very flat dark pink-red nailpolish. It's such an odd color to describe, since it is not dark nor light. It falls somewhere in the medium dark catagory. This is the only one I will buy of this shade, it's not very thrilling in any sense. It can be used as a basic everyday color, it's just a basic color for some people I guess. This color isn't for me, but it's ok.

on 2/2/2006 2:01:00 PM

I still don't know exactly how I feel about this polish. Let me start by saying that I'm a very cool-toned PPP. On me, 20 Candles on my Cake is a very muted brick red with some henna tones. In fact, it reminds me of Prismacolor's Henna artist pencil. In some lights, it has a bit of rose to it that reminds me of Chanel's Desert Rose. Sometimes, there is more red in it, but it is always a brick red with warm tones. It looks fantastic on my nails. The creme finish is rich and glossy and it gives me a perfect manicured look with an easy application. The color looks good against my skin tones. So why am I on the fence? Mainly because it does have warm tones and isn't a color I typically wear. Sometimes, I think it may be right on the cusp of being "too warm," but it always looks good. For me, this is more of a Fall color, so I think I'd like it much more in that season because right now, I find myself longing for either super vampy darks, pinks, or corals. A note: I see no "pinked red" or "cherry red" in this. I would guess that it's because I'm cool-toned. Looking over the reviwers that I know, I'd say that if you are warm-tone, this is going to look far more pink/cherry. Cool-toned ladies are going to see a muted brick color. It would be a fantastic red for the warm-toned lady who finds many reds too bright or plum toned or for the cool-toned lady looking for an understated browned red.

on 1/20/2006 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I agree with the other gals that this is a great "stepping stone" between neutrals and deeper fall colors. I think it's a nice professional look because the color is muted enough not to scream "red!" but it looks really pretty and polished. I'm very PPP, so neutrals tend to look really blah on me, but I feel like this is appropriate for the office. With two coats it was *almost* opaque -- probably should have done a couple touch-ups.

on 1/11/2006 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this shade! It is just soooooo HOT! I give 6 lippies :-)))))

Popular Polishes