October 2, 2014 | 1763 users online

Eye Primer - NARS - Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2014 5:02:00 PM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is pretty expensive for what it is, but I think it's worth it. It's not much more than the Urban Decay Primer Potion, but I like this better. The UDPP annoys me sometimes, though I used it for years, because it starts to separate in the tube and then gets greasy and makes my eyeshadow crease. The consistency of the NARS primer is far superior. The packaging isn't tacky, which seems trivial, but I'm all about packaging.
This works very well and I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 8:28:00 PM More reviews by smanha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The best. THE. BEST. Eyeshadow primer out there. Outlasts all the rest. It's science.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 11:46:00 AM More reviews by elizabethm20

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!
Apologies for the overly enthusiastic intro, but I honestly adore this product.
Lets start by saying I have extremely oily eyelids. Eyeshadow just will not stay on my lids perfectly for any longer than an hour tops. I have tried countless paint pot type products, layered/blended the shadow etc etc and nothing seemed to work brilliantly. I will add that if you haven't got extremely oily eyelids, this tips and techniques and products such as Mac paint pots will work fine, but for me they didn't come close.
I have also tried other primers on the market such as the Urban Decay Primer Potion and drugstore alternatives such as the L'Oreal and Rimmel primers - all of which prolonged by eyeshadow but didn't do a fantastic job.
I was reluctant to by the Nars primer at first, simply because I thought it was expensive for a primer. However, after reading countless 5* reviews I gave in and headed to Selfridges.
I was not disappointed to say the least, nothing has ever come close to giving me crease free lids like this baby does. It is a white colour, but sheers out to almost nothing while still evening out your lids. I would say its semi matte and feels soft around the eye area. I mean, its nothing special no colour, no shimmer but does exactly what it says and will make your eyeshadow last all day!
If I want extra lasting power I will even use this underneath a paint pot, I use this technique for clients on their wedding days for example so their make up really lasts.
So far I have had my own personal tube since January, its now end of May and still going strong.
Packaging is annoying, just like all the Nars products and being white it gets dirty very quickly but its what's inside that counts!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Andi2010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Does not crease, glides on easily, lovely smooth texture, drys down quickly so no waiting around to apply eye shadow. Eye shadows adhere well and it lasts all day.

I know some people find the doe foot applicators unhygienic but this doesn't bother me, as its only me using it and always on clean skin. It goes on so easily with just the right amount of product - I find this easier to control than the tubes of UPPP and TFSI as always end up with more than I need. The price is comparable to UDPP and TFSI but I feel this may not last as long as the tubes from UD and TF as they seem to last me forever.

However as this is so nice and I love makeup so much I'm thinking it will be a repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2014 12:52:00 AM More reviews by channingto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

This is my favorite eyeshadow primer!! I have oily lids that are beyond saving.. UD primer potion creases on me and other long wearing things such as the Mac paint pots, Maybelline color tattoos, etc. This primer is the best thing for my kids that I've found so far. I have extremely long days 16-18 hours and by the end, there is slight creasing on the inner corner. I have a double eyelid and also some small folds near my inner corner part of the eyelid.

One time, I forgot to put this on and I used maybelline color tattoo as a base and then out on eyeshadow. I hoped it would hold up like my shadow always does when I use this Nars primer but man did it crease, and fast!! That was when I really realized how much this does for me. Wish the packaging had more product and was easier to get out every last bit, but I haven't run out yet and I'm loving it. It gives a nice velvety finish and is transparent on my eyelids. Sometimes if I'm just wearing eyeliner, I'll put this under and it will help prevent fading/smudging that I always get.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 9:21:00 PM More reviews by glanda

this product is incredible~~ my eyelids are extremely oily and monolids, and if I wear eyeliner, they will be smudged in 30 minutes... and this product can keep them about 6 hours... amazing~~

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2014 9:25:00 AM More reviews by backstagebettie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

hands down best eye primer I've ever used and I've tried them all. my only complaint is you get very little product. I don't mind spending more for quality but a tube doesn't last very long.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2014 6:27:00 AM More reviews by Cranberrydoesmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have already repurchased this product. It is AMAZING at making your eyeshadow last without creasing on your lids but I think it is just too expensive... I need to use this everyday and it only lasts me around 2 or 3 months. If you have the money, go buy it since it is my HG eyeshadow primer but I just wish this was a bit cheaper...

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2014 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Refuge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was not a fan of the universally-loved NARS eye primer. My HG is Laura Mercier's eye basics, and I find that I prefer the creamier texture of that. This is almost waxy in texture. I would put 3-4 dots on my eyelid and try to blend it in with my fingertips, and sometimes I could still see white waxy patches even after repeated blending. Also, after applying it I would put on eyeshadow and it would also be patchy. I don't think this blends well in general. In defense of NARS, I was battling an eczema outbreak at the time I was trying this, but even so, the LM still wore better on my dry patches. Returned this to Sephora.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by misscomplexity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A bit of a disappointment for me given the price and general reputable nature of NARS products. The packaging is deceiving--there is not that much product and I don't know about anyone else but I barely get anything on the wand. Though, it's ultimately not too big of a problem because it takes really little product to do the trick. The other eye primer I wear frequently is the Urbay Decay Primer Potion (UDPP).

This primer applies really well, quite smoothly actually. And it does a pretty good job of keeping makeup from smearing. Though the packaging is deceiving, a little bit of product goes a long way.

But my problem with this is that my eyeshadow does not apply well over this primer. It makes my eyeshadow patchy! UDPP makes it hard for me to blend my eyeshadow, which is what led me astray, but at least it's not patchy. I'm not sure if I need to let it dry first, or maybe I'm using too much (don't think so) or if it's just the nature of this primer.

So on the one hand, it's an effective primer in that it does a better job than other products I've tried keeping my eyeliner and shadow from smudging. But on the other hand, my eyeshadow looks patchy.

I will keep looking.