October 25, 2014 | 1241 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Miracle Nail Thickener

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2011 5:25:00 PM More reviews by lmcmullen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this stuff as a base coat and it seems to really work for me. My nails have been problematic for decades - thin, bendy, and they rip and tear if you even look at them funny.
This stuff really seems to thicken them. A few have gotten thick enough that they've actually broken, rather than tear, which is a first for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2010 2:14:00 AM More reviews by suzyhotrod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is amazing. I've NEVER been able to grow long nails. They always peel or break. So I got acrylics to fake it. Bad move. I finally got tired of them and took them off, and my nails were an absolute wreck. I bought this at the grocery store at 2am on a total whim and now, after several months of continuous use, I'm in awe-- My nails are strong, long, and they look FANTASTIC. I'm definitely a believer. I use it as a base coat every time I paint my nails. It does get a little thick with time kind of like Seche Vite, but a bit of nail polish thinner fixes it right up. Make SURE your nails are clean and dry before applying or it will bubble-- I found that if you take polish off and wash your hands and dry thoroughly first, it's not a problem. I haven't had any issues with this causing polish to peel, either. Actually, I think it does the opposite-- my polish doesn't peel hardly at all using this as a base coat. It dries quickly and has a nice sheen to it as well. I will definitely keep purchasing. This stuff is worth its weight in gold.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2010 10:42:00 AM More reviews by klaufis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

What a waste of money.
I really liked this when I first applied it, my nails were left with a nice, glossy, gel-nails like finish but lo and behold! After a few hours the polish peeled off my nails completely.
There's also no way this could be used as a base coat as the packaging suggest - all of the polish peels off after the first hand wash if there's another layer of anything. 0/5

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2010 10:56:00 PM More reviews by bea2ls82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

despite the name i never expect miracle nail products, i believe diet, genetics and other factors play a part.
i mostly bought this to fill in ridges, which it did a pretty decent job doing so i will buy again

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2010 10:50:00 AM More reviews by maybemaybenot

I love this. I put it under my nail polish as a base coat like it says. Then I put on my fav nail polish. It makes my polish shiney. It drys quick. I didnt have any problems with bubbling. I wear fake nails alot so my nails are brittle. This is helping alot. my real nails arnt breaking or tearing. my bottle is purple which is a plus its my fav color lol. I love how this product keeps my polish from chipping. It helps it last. Normaly by now my polish would be chipping off and my real nails would be breaking. BUT thats not happening at all. I bought this at walmart, so it was a fairly good price. I would def rebuy this.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2010 8:09:00 PM More reviews by aprila220

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I took my acrylic nails off and they were paper thin, I picked this up hoping to that it would live up to it's name, however, it's just crap, really. Just like the reviewer below said, it doesn't work and when applied, it bubbled like crazy. The directions say to apply a layer the first day, then repeat for up to 4 days, then to remove and start over. Okay...however, on the day after the first coat, the polish started peeling and chipping heavily on me. After 2 or 3 coats, it would peel off in just a couple of hours of wear. It never stayed on long enough to build up to 4 coats. There was no improvement in my nails AT ALL. Don't waste your money.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2010 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Glumbumble

I've never used nail thickener or hardener before. And from the results of this product, I won't be wasting my money on it again.

The polish is thick and often bubbles. I dislike the opaque bottle. And the smell is atrocious. Almost as bad as nail polish remover.

I applied for the recommended 4 days, removed on the 5th and then tried again for another 4 days. There is absolutely no difference in my nails. I got this product because my nails, once they get to a certain length, start getting frail and prone to fraying and splitting at the ends. This product did not help. It was just a glorified base or top coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2010 10:25:00 AM More reviews by prettydark

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product promised 70% thicker nails in four days. In that time with daily application, I noticed my soft, and thin nails were noticeably stronger and less bendy, even with no product on them.

The product doesn't smell too much for what it is, but is a little thicker than I like and occasionally bubbles.

The bottle is an opaque purple with a gold plastic top. I don't like opaque bottles, and would rather it be round or square to facilitate hand-rolling.

I will continue daily use until my nails seem strong enough, then will probably shift this into rotation with some other treatments as base coats. Would buy again if I found my nails in a similar bendy state.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Awesome product! New to the market, I reluctantly but curiously picked this up because I'd tried thickening products before which were nothing but disappointing. Came with an instant $1-off coupon, so it cost me $7.29 instead of $8.29 at my local Duane Reade. Quite expensive for a drugstore product I didn't have any faith in, if you ask me. Still I was curious to see for myself...
So happy I tried it, because it really does thicken the appearance of my nails in 1-2 coats (on top of my nailpolish). The instructions say to use this as a base coat under color but I use Sally Hansen Nail Quencher base coat instead & I put the Nail Thickener on top of my finished manicure. Dries really shiny & doesn't take a long time to do so.
This comes in an opaque frosty purple bottle (I hate opaque bottles, I can't see the remaining product level) with a shiny gold cap. The brush is effective, the product is easy to apply & isn't runny, it doesn't bubble, it levels out beautifully & smooths out irregularities, & also the formula doesn't stink up the wazoo.
I love thick-looking shiny nails that look like acrylic nails but aren't. This is a great product & I would absolutely buy it again, full price & all. It lives up to its Miracle name. This purchase wasn't a disappointment.