November 22, 2014 | 1145 users online

Eye Shadow - Cover Girl - Smoky ShadowBlast

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by livyeason

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is so bad I can't even say how horrible it is. I bought this in Onyx Smoke or something like that. It creased and the black end broke as soon as I got done using it. So I was like WTF? Then I said, well i'll just use it again w/ primer and see if it works. I used Smashbox photo finish eye primer. I hate it. It creases SO bad. and it broke on both sides. :(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So overall, this is a great idea but definetly poorly executed. the packaging isnt great at all & the actual product itself doesnt make up for the poor packaging. So onto my thoughts...
~~~~~~~~~ PRICE & AVAILABILITY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Covergirl Smoky Shadow Blast sticks are widely available in most drugstores like Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid as well as mass discount stores like Walmart & Target. Covergirl is a big brand so it can be found in most stores. The price will vary as with most drugstore products depending on your location as well as where you purchase it. The price for these is generally around $5-6 which is way too much for such a crappy product. So take it from a broke girl like me, listen to the others, dont waste your money!!! There are many more drugstore cream shadows & pencils that work FAR better! But Covergirl does place $1 off coupons in the sundays paper so check for those as well!
~~~~~~~ SHADE/FORMULA/PERFORMANCE ~~~~~~~~~
The CG Smoky ShadowBlast sticks are a double ended cream shadow crayons. They are formulated that you can get a simple smoky or edgy look with just one pencil. The colors coordinate together. The one side is more rounded to go all over & the other end is more flattened to run along lash line to blend out. This would be a great simple & quick look if it worked. I only purchased one which was the brown/bronze & golden champagne stick which i thought, its basic & i can pull it off & make it work. I do not have oily lids. I have normal maybe even more dry lids at some points. I do use a primer esp with creamy products. Ive tried it without primer as well. I applied the champagne golden color all over the lid & used the bronze brown side to run along lash line & in outer corner area. It looked ok but i felt the consistency of the sticks were a bit odd. The lighter color had a somewhat gritty feel to it since there is somewhat of a shimmer finish to it so i could feel the glitter in the pencil. The bronze side was more waxy & slippy. I dont mind having to work w/ products. I dont think its horrible but i managed to get it to look decent. I used this topped w/ powder shadows as well as face powder & also all alone like they suggests. No matter what, the pencil would somehow get under my lash line & completely fade away 2 hours later which i think is very odd bc i use cheap makeup & never had this happen to often. The shades are very pretty colors. So i ended up getting the purple & gray stick as well from my sister & that one was even worse. I think the colors make it look appealing but the application was ok but performance is horrible. I cannot imagine what these would be like on those w/ more oily lids. So ill try to come up with some way to make these work bc i hate products that sit around. Ill update if i come up with a solution.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PACKAGING ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The CG Smoky ShadowBlast duo ended shadow sticks come in a hard see through plastic chubby pencil form. There is metallic labeling & info. The lids slid & slightly twist on & off. The sticks themselves can be mechanically twisted up & down to use each end. My major gripe is that you dont get a whole lot of each cream shadow, the lids on all four sides have either snapped or cracked & i have never traveled with these nor do i throw makeup around. And the big thing is that all but one end has become detached from the packaging so the sticks fall out or move around all over the place & get stuck in the lid. I still dont mind too much but its not worth me sticking the shadows back in to fall back out if the product doesnt even work.
Overall, these seem very pretty & neat in the store but its not a great product. I LOVE my cream shadows & cream pencils but i highly suggests saving your money for a nyx jumbo pencil, LA Colors Jumbo pencil or even Coastal Scents have double ended cream pencils. There are many more more affordable options that work so much better. I will continue to use this & find a way to use it up. Def dont suggests to anyone to try nor will i be repurchasing. Not only bc its a crappy product but before i knew better, i bought makeup from companies that tested on animals, CoverGirl tests on poor innocent creatures, not cool. So i will do my part & not buy from companies that do so...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2012 4:24:00 AM More reviews by cheetah7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Good concept, poor product. This is one of the worst colored sticks I have ever used. What made me purchase it in the first place was the idea of a 2 in one color that I thought would save me some time in the morning. I bought the purple and silver one and while the color payoff was average, the product itself felt disgustingly greasy and within a few minutes the color had settled in the creases. I have oily lids and using a primer underneath made it somewhat better but even with the primer, most of the crease color had disappeared from my lids within the hour. Instead it had migrated to the outer corners of my eyes and became a smudgy mess. The only real way of preventing color migration is to top it off with powdered eyeshadow but that kind of defeats the purpose of this product in the first place. In the short time I had it, I tried making it work by trying different things and even using 2 different primers on separate occasions but same result. I tossed it in the trash after the purple side broke off which was only 4 times total usage. That's $8 wasted just like that. Never again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by Sambalina82

This product is crappy. Luckily I didn't pay for it, I got it free with a mascara I wanted. It's a dual cream stick shadow, that has hardly any colour payoff, no lasting power and feels horrible and greasy on my eyes. I'll stick to baked powders I think.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2012 11:27:00 AM More reviews by microwatts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think this product gave me a sty on my eye. I had to put so much on to actually see it and it looks awful. the tip is so thick that you can't apply it where you actually want it to go. It also looks NOTHING like Drew Barrymore's eyes in the commercials. I'm sure that they used other products.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2012 11:58:00 PM More reviews by LLark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The WORST. I bought this in the green/bronze combo. First off, there is almost NO pigment, and when I tried to layer it, it just smudged off all together. So, I tried it as a base, with a good quality shadow on top and after a couple hours it was gone. Literally just gone, melted into the crease and who knows where. I tried it with primer, without, under powder, everything I could think of. Terrible. I ended up giving it to my toddler to color with (I give her all my old make up and she uses them to color on paper haha)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2012 10:58:00 AM More reviews by okin

This is by far the worst eyeshadow I have ever purchased. This broke on me after 3 uses, plus it creases like crazy and is just horrible because it doesn't blend well at all. Do not buy this!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2012 11:39:00 PM More reviews by briscotti1687

This shadow is terrible! I was sucked in by epically deceiving ads. There's no way this can ever look "smoky."

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2012 2:37:00 PM More reviews by patriciabain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have this in bronze fire #815 which is a fancy name for shimmery tan on one end and shimmery brown on the other. I was getting some of my CG lip balm that I love, and it was buy 1 get one 50% off, so I got this, too. Originally it would have been about 7.99.

I've been looking at these sorts of big eyeshadow pencils because I don't have much time in the morning, and I like the idea of just swiping on some eyeshadow without having to bother with getting out a brush and dipping it in and out until I get enough on. It seems, however, that this dream of mine is just that. A dream. This product is not the magical time-saver I foresaw.

I'm not very happy with it, but it's not so bad that I'll throw it away as I have devised some uses for it. The color comes out exactly the color you see in the tube, which is nice, but you have to use your finger to blend because one end is shaped oddly. Trying to blend, however, results in most of the product coming off onto my finger instead. It seems to work well on the dark end as a sort of smokey eyeliner and the light end works well to brighten my inner corner without looking as ridiculous as bright white looks (at least on me, some people can pull it off). Definitely set it with some powder if you plan on using it as actual eyeshadow or it will crease.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2012 2:09:00 AM More reviews by VoR

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was sucked in by the gorgeous looking magazine advertisments for this product and although they are not my usual style I bought the purple / grey one when I spotted it in a pharmacy display and rushed home to test it out. I was so disappointed! Firstly I could hardly get the colour to stay on my eyelid and when I did manage to get it there it lasted approximately 3 minutes before creasing into a single line and then sliding off into the corner, I had no chance of doing any double ended blending or anything that even remotely resembled a 'smoky eye' - it was just a total waste of money. Luckily the thing wasn't especially expensive but I've learned my lesson about impulse make-up buys and the power of advertising and I'll be checking the reviews before I do anything like that again!