April 17, 2014 | 1804 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 9:32:00 PM More reviews by JennyWalsh1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Didn't really do much for me as other people have said but at least it didn't cost me a fortune. To each her own, I didn't get results besides a pale/yellowish face for a few days..

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by lostinbk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My Skin: Normal to dry, being on the dry side lately. I also have a lot of redness in my skin.

My turmeric recipe: I had no coconut oil! We recently ran out and I've been waiting for a good deal on Tropical Traditions. :) So I used what fat I had in the kitchen- butter. Yep...butter haha. I also put a 2 tsp of raw honey. To keep the mask from falling off my face, I also added sunflower lecithin. The kind from Swanson. I just needed something besides regular flower. No chickpea flour right now, but I wish I had some stabilized rice bran on me, I think it would've made it even better. So for reiteration:
2 Tsp unsalted organic butter
2 Tsp Turmeric
2 Tsp honey
1 Tbl sunflower lecithin

It was quite orange! The honey darkened it a bit. For me, I did not get much staining after the mask was done. I left this on for 30 minutes. The hardest to remove was by my nose. My skin did glow but I didn't have the amazing benefit of the redness fading. Some people recommend leaving it on for 1 hour for the biggest difference.
The butter was a bad idea. Buttermilk I read, would work better in this situation. The butter was so...waxy/greasy. Even with the sunflower lecithin powder, when I went to rinse it off, it felt like I was trying to rinse off petroleum jelly. It took quite a few make up remover wipes to take it off. The butter did not clog my pores and it actually seemed to moisturize my skin, but I would not do it with butter again. I'm going to pick up some yogurt for the next mask and leave it on for a full hour. I'll update next time I try it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 3:56:00 PM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

Skin Type: Adult hormonal acne (mild) Reactive-Sensitivity to ingredients (moderate). Oily (very). Clog Prone (moderate). Uneven & dull skin tone.
I've only used turmeric as a facial mask once but I am in love. I'm so happy with the results and can't wait to use it again!
**Mask** 1/2 tsp. turmeric mixed with 1 tsp. of plain greek yogurt. Mixed until a mustard yellow paste forms. Layer mask until all the mixture is all used up. Let it sit on the skin until it dries (about 30 minutes).
Removal Process: I kept in mind how people mentioned this stains sinks and is messy. What I do to prevent any mess is dampen paper towels with warm water and wipe off the mask. I discard each paper towel in the waste basket immediately. No mess!
Lastly, I cleanse my skin with a gentle cleanser and pat dry.
Results: No yellow face! I was surprised that this didn't stain my face. A faint yellow residue came off during cleansing but that was nothing. My skin immediately looked radiant and even. Even days after I did the mask! It has been two days after the mask and my skin just looks better. Marks have faded out a bit. Skin looks more even toned and healthy. I wasn't at all familiar with the spice turmeric and I never cooked with it. Now, I'm looking up ways to use this miracle spice!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 7:07:00 AM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm a sucker for homemade beauty products, mostly because I have very tricky skin: dry, but acne prone, and sensitive to a lot of common ingredients. I started seeing a lot of natural/homemade beauty blogs recommending this and thought I'd give it a try. The first recipe I tried was from the Crunchy Betty blog, and was as follows:

2tsp garbanzo flour
1tsp turmeric powder
3tbls plain yogurt

I followed my normal routine of massaging plain, virgin coconut oil into my skin and swiping my face with a damp washcloth to remove my makeup, and cleansing with Pears soap before applying this mask. I left it on for 30 minutes.

It dried but was easy enough to remove with water, and created a nice, gentle scrub as I used my hands to remove it. Though I am very fair skinned it did not stain, and my skin looked much healthier and more even toned when I removed it and into the next morning. Over the next day though I did develop some clogged pores. This has been an issue for me whenever I put yogurt or honey on my face so I wasn't surprised.

The next time I used it I improvised a little. I followed exactly the same routine before applying a mask made up of:

2tbls water
1/2tsp turmeric powder
1/2tsp dried thyme
+ enough garbanzo flour to create a paste

I added thyme because it's supposed to be good for treating acne, and reduced the amount of turmeric because I was a little worried it would stain without the buffer of yogurt. Again, I left it on for 30 minutes.

This mask was harder to remove than the previous one; I really had to work at it, but I figured it was better than (possibly) staining one of my washcloths. Though it felt a little gritty it didn't have the nice scrubbing effect the first one had. Also, naturally, without the yogurt it was a little drying, like using a very mild clay mask.

Again though, my skin looked healthier and more even toned into the next morning. And without the yogurt I didn't experience anymore clogged pores, so that's a win. I've only been using it for about a week - and not daily - so I can't really say what the long term effects are, but so far my active acne is healing faster, it's not irritating my skin, and my skin tone seems more even. And it's very economical; I spent about $5 for a 1Lb bag of the flour and a 4oz jar of turmeric and that will make innumerable masks. So right now, overall, I'm very happy with it. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Update (2/9/14) - still using this, though I've fiddled with the recipe a little:

2tbls fresh, strongly brewed green tea
1tsp lime juice
1/2tsp turmeric
+ enough garbanzo flour to make a paste

I added the green tea for the antioxidants (though God knows if it actually makes a difference or if that's just wishful thinking on my part), and lime juice for some mild exfoliation. I do this mask a couple of times a week, alternating it with a clay mask (Freeman strawberry & chocolate, lately). Definitely still happy with it, and my skin tone is slowly evening out. I keep reading about the "softening" properties of this mask, and if it's doing that I'm not seeing it - maybe because I don't use it daily, or maybe because I don't really have wrinkles yet (*knock on wood*). Overall though, it's the best homemade mask I've used, and I've yet to have to replace the ingredients, so that's very economical. Still a little messy and bit more of a hassle than squeezing something out of tube, but well worth it ;)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by siringlamgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently tried out a pre-made turmeric mask because I didn't like the yellow mess that I found that my own homemade turmeric mask was creating! I absolutely love it! They mentioned that their turmeric doesn't stain your skin but I found it was just completely cleaner in general... there wasn't yellow everyone on my sink and towels etc. They give you a couple of options for mixing. I mixed with a little bit of oil and mostly yogurt.

The mask worked wonderfully. My skin was soo smooth and seemed to glow after and i've used it now for 2 weeks and have gotten compliments already. I've never gotten compliments on my skin before! I do it twice weekly as they suggest. I will continue. You can buy it at the amberlilynaturals.com site if your interested!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Jaimatadi2013

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have hyper pigmentation on my cheeks,forehead some of due to sun ,some of after baby that is melesma.i have used every fading cream like kojiglow ,super fade ,kojic acid based but nothing works.then being an Indian mum told me to apply turmeric on face which is a very traditional way to maintain skin beauty in India ...so I did apply turmeric with milk and lemon and u know it is working ..it's been 2 weeks only and my pigmentation is faded up to 50%..still continue until I will get clear face.. I am loving it..it makes my skin so bright which I lost due to sun tan...also start drinking turmeric milk at night for more effect cause I read turmeric consumed daily internally will help the body to produce gluthione more..which makes skin spotless..will update result.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2013 8:53:00 PM More reviews by ShawP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading reviews on tumeric's ability to clear skin, I thought I would give it a whirl. I purchased a medium sized bag of it at an Indian food store. I tried mixing it in yogurt, and using it as a mask. However, I lacked the discipline to continue using it in that manner, and therefore can't say that it works. Since my skin is dark, I now mix about a tablespoon of it into my container of loose setting powder, and use it as my last step in my makeup application. It blends perfectly with my skintone. My skin looks so smooth. And instead of getting midday oiliness, my skin becomes more luminous/dewy. Not greasy, so I blot less. Although I'm already on a skincare regimen that keeps my acne at bay, I think tumeric is a great addition to my regimen to keep my skin clear. My only negative is that tumeric's scent can put me off a little at first (it's very mild anyway), but it fades.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 8:03:00 PM More reviews by livmhilll

HOLY GRAIL. i have cystic acne sometimes, and when i feel some coming up, i make some ginger tea with tumeric and black pepper, drink it. and i mix tumeric with olive oil and basil and apply it to the cysts overnight or for a couple hours in the day. It stops them from developing and shrinks them a bit. I love this, it's one of the only things i use because it actually works when i get a cyst. Using it as a spot treatment everyday will make your cysts disappear in a week. be careful tho it will stain your face if you leave it on overnight, apple cider vinegar seems to get the stain off for me though:)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 10:25:00 AM More reviews by clp0930

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I always have turmeric in my house and I love it. It makes everything taste better and it's great for skin. To minimize staining since I'm fair skinned I mix 2 tbsp yoghurt 1/4 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp olive oil

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 8:28:00 PM More reviews by Impeccablebliss

Natural remedies are always best! I do a face mask of this on my skin 3-4 times a month