August 21, 2014 | 1153 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 5/7/2013 8:50:00 AM More reviews by jhuaniey

I LOVE NYX products as a whole; love their eyeshadow trios, lip products etc. But this one was just a waste of money. It didn't help with creasing at all, given that I have terribly oily lids. Surprisingly though, the ELF Mineral eyeshadow primer worked so much better (HG primer) for a fraction of the price of NYX's version. I won't ever buy this again, though now I just use it for my under eye sometimes where it's less oily for me.
Maybe it'll work for someone who's less oily but it's not creamy enough for someone with sensitive and or dry skin, since I find myself tugging my lids to spread out the product.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/1/2013 3:50:00 AM More reviews by KateriB

As someone who has used Urban Decay Primer Potion for years, this is just a waste of money. I usually love NYX products, but sadly this just doesn't live up to their other products. I've given it tons of shots, and it has done nothing but crease my eyeshadow in a matter of a couple hours. I've tried to find a different way to use this product, I've even tried it as a concealer, but with such fair skin it just made me look orange. All I have to say is, if you're looking for a cheap alternative to some sort of primer, you're better off either using creme eyeshadow, or saving up for the real deal.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2013 12:09:00 AM More reviews by DonDiva

I actually like this product. It works for me but it does crease but it creases in style lol. My eyeshadow stays bright even creased. the pot is cute ... ( read my other reviews this a big deal for me ) but... its not practical. I wear acrylic nails and its getting harder and harder to get the right amount out ( I prefer my fingers on my eyelids to a brush ) without butchering the product. Unfortunately I wont be buying this again, but it will stay in my very large make up cabinet for looks and backup when friends are over/ getting dressed at my place.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2013 12:12:00 PM More reviews by Lil_Mamma_001

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually love NYX products, but the eyeshadow base was a bust for me. I have oily eyelids. Not overly oily but I need some sort of primer there to hold my e/s all day. This did not do it for me.

-Application: I used both my fingers and my ELF concealer brush. Both worked in spreading the product around but I preferred the brush because it seemed to apply it better.

-Wear: I would apply this in the morning then apply eyeshadow. While this did really intensify the color (which I loved about this) by the time after work my eyeshadow was creased horribly.

-Test: I wanted to see if this was just the NYX base or my eyelids. I put the NYX base on one eye and Too Faced Shadow Insurance on the other eye. By the end of the day, the Too Faced held up while the NYX was creased and eyeshadow was barely noticeable on that eye.

-Overall: The best thing about this was how it really intensified the colors of your eyeshadow. However, I do not think that is worth it especially if the NYX base doesn't stay. I will not be repurchasing this particular base from NYX.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 7:08:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese, oily monolidder.

Creasity-creasity-crease! The pot version isn't working for me at all... Test driving the NYX HD eyeshadow base w/ the wand style, holding up much better!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by JaneWhit99

I really liked this eye primer for several reasons:

-great packaging
-affordable
-no irritation/redness/stinging when applying
-can apply makeup minutes after using it

After using this primer my makeup stays on almost all day until i was it off at night. I have used multiple primers from Mac, Too Faced, and Bare Minerals but this is the best one i've found yet.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by fayedelasflores

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm reviewing this as not just a shadow base, but also as a concealer. I've got hard-to-match skin, and all concealers look ashy on me, whether they're powder or liquid. Even higher-end products look terrible (ex. Bare Minerals summer bisque.)

I picked this up at my local beauty supply for about $4, intending to use it only as a shadow base. When I realized it matched my skin exactly, I began using it as an undereye concealer, as well as around my nose and on uneven spots. I even use it as a base on the sparse areas of my brows before I fill them in with brow powder.

I really like this product; it moves around easily, so it's very blendable and buildable, and it has the perfect amount of yellow to it for my medium/olive skin. I agree with others that it can crease. My method is to pat in with a fingertip, building up if needed, then immediately set with a powder. I have no creasing issues and my liner and brows stay put all day.

Another plug: I'm a salsa dancer, so I get very sweaty (I know - yuck. Sorry!) I still get the same results through hours of dancing!

The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is that it's in a pot, which I think invites bacteria. It would be great if it was in a squeeze tube with an opening large enough to let the product come out.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2012 11:11:00 PM More reviews by debramarie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It did make my eye shadow 'pop', but it creases. I have very oily eyelids. I also dislike the packaging. I used a brush to get the product out, applied the product with the brush to my eyelids, then smoothed it out with a finger. I won't be purchasing this again. However, when I was desperate, I found that if I applied Porefessional under it, it helped it not crease. Still, that defeats the purpose of it being a less expensive alternative.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2012 12:02:00 PM More reviews by narwhal4life

I purchased this product from Ulta because I wanted an inexpensive replacement for my urban decay primer. I had heard good things about this and had seen it getting some love on youtube. I like the nyx jumbo pencils and figured this would be similar in different packaging. I hate this as a base. I don't think my lids are exceptionally oily but my eyeshadow would fade like mad throughout the day - from bright to muddy. I know some reviewers are pointing out that this is, after all, a base and should be used over primer, but I can use my maybelline colour tattoos and the NYX jumbo pencils without a primer and the colour holds fine. Although I did experience fading I had no troubles with creasing. This product is very thick consistency which I wan't crazy about and the packaging wasn't the best either. I kept having to dip my fingers in and ended up with more product under my nails than on my finger. I wanted to love this, but It just isn't a great base and caused some supreme fading.

The only thing that kept me from giving this product a 1 is that I found an alternative use for it. The consistency reminds me a lot of mac studio finish concealer (I've never tried this concealer so I can't compare) so I tried sweeping it under my eyes for some coverage. It works pretty well! It's opaque and delivered some nice full coverage over my dark circles. Since it did not match my skin at all I had to blend it out quite a bit and layer some foundation over it. However, this did not work on the oiler parts of my skin like my nose, where it came off almost immediately and in patches. I am not thrilled with the overall performance of this product and don't think I would repurchase again simply for the use as an undereye concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 1:27:00 PM More reviews by hopelesschocolate

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted a base and I got a base because it said base on it! And I really like this product! I didn't have any problems with creasing but if you have got oily eyelids you will need to where a primer underneath. This definetly did make my eyeshadows cling, be more true to colour and stay, which was all I expected. I use this everyday and its a PERFECT dupe for MAC Painterly just much cheaper. After about a year of using this I am close to pan and I have loved this since the beginning! I would recommend this and next time I stop by NYX I wIll get this in the other two shades!