November 28, 2014 | 1812 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by LibbyandStuff

This highlighter is the bomb.com! Its super pigmented and the colour is gorgeous. I have used it on a few of my friends and they all have different skin tones but it looked fabulous on all of them. I'm not going to lie, I was sucked in by the super cute packaging on this product so I splurged a little. The price would have to be the only downside. But I use it on a regular bases and is by far my favourite highlighter!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 1:04:00 PM More reviews by CindyKhalista

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I just bought mine and guess what.. it freaking broke like a huge crack in the middle.. I was so upset and I couldn't really fix it but it was okay. The result was awesome though, no need much product but the results are just so pretty. So I love it but the freaking crack.. ergh

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2014 12:05:00 PM More reviews by bubbelbad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Well, what can I say about this that hasn't already been said.

For my graduation, I decided to splurge and convinced Mary-Lou to move in with me. We got on right away. The only highlighters I had were very Albatross-like, and were too yellow to look natural on me. The colour (a neutral gold) of Mary-Lou may look a littlebit plain when swatched, but that's a good thing: it proves that it will look good on many skintones (maybe except for really dark ladies).
I couldn't really care for the packaging much really, don't really like it nor hate it, but it's really sturdy! Don't have any issues opening it - but I heard the powder is fragile so I wouldn't travel with it though. Also, the mirror she carries is always convenient.

But oh my goat, it is SO pigmented. Even after a tiny dip with my brush in the powder, I still need to tap some product off - although I have to mention that I like really subtle highlights. Some said that it just 'sits' on your skin and looks too obvious, why yes ofcourse it does, if you don't blend it in. If you know how to blend it correctly and use a fanbrush, it can be as subtle (or as intense) as you like. That's the biggest tip I can give you with this. (I use a firm brush (from ebay) to blend it out.)

Some said this highlight just gives a sheen and has no glitterparticles at all. Don't really agree with that. Yes, it is really finely milled but if you look at the product (applied) REALLY close, you will see that it's actually a lot of tinitiny 'dots' of shimmer that create a sheen together. I think that is mostly to blame to the great pigmentation (in some weird way). Still, absolutely no obvious glitter particles (at all!!), so don't need to worry about that. (I do have to mention - I am a HUGE critic. Most people would find that it looks like a natural sheen and nothing else.)
EDIT: She has convined me, the 'dots' really don't bother me. After some research, I found that all of my highlighters had the 'dots', but because of the great pigmentation they just stand out more with Mary-Lou. Don't mistake my vague explanation of the dots with glitterparticles!! Again, she does NOT have them!

Would I repurchase? Not sure, because 1) no way that I could ever finish this (if I do I will update) and 2) I like to try new stuff out. But it's a fantastic product, when you're either looking for your first highlight or want something that you can combine with ANYTHING, so I still voted 'Yes' on the repurchase-question.

If it's the money that's holding you back, don't let it. It's worth every penny. I may seem critical about it in this review, but I do really love it and use it every day. I think everyone with fair to medium skintone should try this. Plus: cruelty- and parabenfree!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2014 3:34:00 PM More reviews by Jitney

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I get confused when I see swatches of this online - are you guys digging into the pan and swatching it multiple times? Because I could barely get ANY pigmentation or color payoff using fingers or my Hakuhodo brush. Don't get me wrong, the actual sheen/color itself is pretty, but the application is VERY faint. The only good thing about this product is the packaging, which is cheeky and fun. I was contemplating keeping the product JUST for the cute compact, but ending swapping it away. I had better pigmentation with Physician Formula's Happy Booster face powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2014 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Barbirivera

This is my HG highlighter. I don't have many so I'm not a highlight guru by any means but this product is great for beginners like myself. It is a champagne color, VERY pigmented, the packaging is great, it's a generous amount of product and it looks really pretty on lighter skin tones. I would totally recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2014 3:00:00 AM More reviews by mwalter95

I love this stuff!!! It will last so long as well so the price is decent

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Katelrobs3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Now this stuff is actually worth the hype! Like many others I purchased this for nearly 50% off on HauteLook, and while shipping took nearly 3 years I was so pleased when the product finally arrived. It's a beautiful true light champagne highlighter that does not look chalky, dry, or too glittery. It has JUST the right amount of shimmer and gives your face a healthy glow during both summer and winter months. A little goes a long way so use a light hand when applying. Will definitely repurchase if I ever run out of this bad boy!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by darthodis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

The perfect highlighter. I use it on my cheekbones, brow bones, inner corners, cupids bow, nose bridge and even as an eyeshadow. It's such a brilliant product! Cute packaging too, and you get a lot of product for your money. Beautiful neutral champagne color. But a little goes a long way when you apply it. I love this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by iloveiah

Where do I even start???

This product is so versatile, light, odorless, and build-able. And the cute packaging is just a cherry on top. Plus Ive drop it a million times and it has not shatter or budged. I've have this product for almost a year and a half now and I JUST hit pan. It's really pigmented so a little goes just a long way.

It's not one of those highlighters where you can literally see spects of glitter. This formula is so fine then when it's applied onto the skin it just gives off that naturally glistening sheen look. I put it on anywhere.
Some days I don't even want to where eyeshadow and I'll just dab a bit on the center of my eye lids and pop on an eyeliner, mascara and I'll look fresh and alive.

It may be on the pricey side but I think it worth it. This product is a must have.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by livloper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am really in love with this product. When I was first introduced to highlighters, I thought this one was just too much, but now that I understand how to use a highlighter, this is the only one I will use. It is absolutely gorgeous, especially on olive skin tones like myself. I think it would be too much on someone very fair or very dark but that's just me personally.