July 25, 2014 | 963 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. II [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2010 9:15:00 PM More reviews by lovesick20

some of the shadows in this pallet are a bit to glittery for me but they are very pigmented and are great with the primer potion

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2010 4:36:00 PM More reviews by SadAng3l

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this palette. It has 16 eyeshadows which are all very pigmented. The colours are lovely. There are some purples, blues, neutrals and a couple greens. Its great if you have never used Urban Decay before as it really gives you an idea of what their products are like.

Also the two eyeliners and primer potion are brilliant. I had never used an eye primer before until I tried the Urban Decay Primer Potion and I must say that now I wouldn't be without it.

The only thing which I kind of find pointless is the top part of the palette. It lifts up and there is a mirror and a little compartment with a "look book" in it.

I guess it could provide you with inspiration but I wish they would have given tips or how to do the look in the book. Instead its mainly just pictures and a comment on how the author likes the look and things like that. I find it rather pointless to be honest.

Overall though I think that it is a brilliant product and I love all the eyeshadows. It is a very pretty palette which I love and would definitly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2010 10:45:00 PM More reviews by partymartyw

This is a great way to try Urban Decay if you never have. This is a nice selection of colors, and very few have the obvious glitter chunks I detest. I have come up with many different eye looks from this palette. The only thing I hate is how much room it takes up in my makeup drawer- it is a but heavy too. A wonderful palette, if you have the chance to get it, do!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2010 1:58:00 AM More reviews by leeli86

I think this palette is great value for the money!! It's a pricier palette but you have to consider that you're getting 16 shadows that are $17 a piece. I like the formulation of these shadows, I think they have great pigmentation and blend nicely. My biggest beef with them is what everyone else hates about them too, and that is the ginormous CHUNKS of glitter Urban Decay insists on ruining their beautiful shadows with and the horrible fallout that results. If you're willing to work around this this palatte is fantastic. Just be warned if you're not a shimmer lover this palette is not going to be for you as all the shadows are shimmer except for perversion (plain black) and some are downright glitterbombs (ahem....midnight cowboy rides again). However, I'm glad I got this as it introduced to shades I would be afraid of and would never have bought individualy (jinx) as well as consisting for the most part of very wearable colours. My favourite is by far sellout, a gorgeous highlight shade that just glows. Coincedentily this is midnight cowboy without the glitter, which is a trend I hope Urban Decay continues with until all the obnoxious glitter is sucked out of every single one of their shadows. The 24/7 liners are awesome, smooth and truely do last forever (even in the waterline). I wish bourbon were a bit more pigmented but that might just be a matter of taste. Packaging is a bit annoying sometimes but very pretty. Only other gripe is that stupid look book. So useless!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2010 1:41:00 PM More reviews by charla21

Urban decay has VERY nice eye shadow colours ... all colours in the book of shadows 2 have shimmer of some sort in them.. theres a mixture of nutrals and brights... its cheaper to go with this palette than to buy a single eye shadow however it depends on wether you like the colours or not... i would buy all the book of shadows but i wouldnt need to rebuy this whole palette.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2010 5:22:00 PM More reviews by shelz88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This palette was just okay for me. I was very excited to purchase it, but it seems that I dont use it very often. I prefer to use neutral eyeshadows more often and these colors are very metalic or sparkley so I don't get too much use of it. However if thats what you WANT, then this is a great investment. The quality of the shadows are great, I just dont find the palette great for everyday use. I was suckered in because of the fact that its LE, so I don't regret having it in my collection. But, like I said, I dont use it and it just sits there. The primer potion and the two eyeliners are great bonuses! And it is a good value for the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by MissMay95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

If you're new to shadows or makeup, I cannot recommend this product highly enough. You get 16 shadows, in sizes large enough to last you for a couple of years at least, and 2 eyeliners, plus a small UDPP!
    The colours are highly pigmented, blendable, and soft. Some of them are a bit too glittery for everyday use, but there are some matte and frost finishes in the palette. There is also a good mix of neutral colours (twice baked, sellout, half baked) and vibrant ones (ACDC, midnight cowboy, flipside) so that you can use the palette for many different looks.
    Overall, I am very pleased with the product but I wish the packaging was more practical. It's a bit too bulky for my liking; bulkier than it needs to be, at any rate.
    =D

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2010 11:34:00 PM More reviews by careypiper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The e/s colors are very pigmented and there's a good variety, but not a lot of different finishes that are suit for my age group. I mainly use them as eyeliners (favorite is Misdemeanor) In fact most of the exclusive shades are my favorites. I have made some awesome looks but they are a little to much for the kid's bus stop and grocery store.

The e/l are a good intro to 24/7 liners, but I wouldn't repurchase either in full size. Bourbon is not the right brown for me and Zero is good not great, but I already have three minis.

The primer is nice but I've been using TFSI and enjoy it's application much better then the wand. I have not worn UDPP all day, so I can't give a full review on it.

UPDATE (01/01/2011) Swapped away

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2010 8:05:00 AM More reviews by Zoffe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't have a lot of Urban Decay products so I found this to be a great start :)
    You get a lot of product for the money!
    I only wish that there would have been a better selection of matte shades in the palette.
    Also, even though the packaging is cute, it's pretty impractical.

I think it's a GREAT buy so I said "yes" to buy it again, even though I don't think I'll ever run out of every shade.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 5:22:00 AM More reviews by carita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For a very long time I couldn’t made up my mind whether to purchase it or not, but right now I think it’s the best make-up purchase I’ve made so far. This palette is absolutely amazing and it really got me interersted into Urban Decay makeup. The staying power is great, especially with the primer. The texture of the eyeshadows is just as I like it - very soft, almost creamy. They are even better than Sisley eyeshadows, and they are much cheaper.

BOS2 contains 16 eyeshadows (seven of which are exclusive to this palette) – each is 0.03oz/0.8g; two 24/7 eye-pencils in Bourbon (bronze brown) and Zero (black) – each is 0.03oz/0.8g and mini Eyeshadow Primer Potion (0.13fl.oz/3.7ml).

The exclusive shades are AC/DC, Nylon, Mushroom, Sphynx, Jinx, Homegrown and Misdemeanor.

I really like the shades they’ve decided to put in: first three rows are practically all neutral nuances, while the last row offers slightly edgy shades.

THE SHADES (the swatches of the eyeshadows can be seen in my profile pictures. The eyeshadows are applied very lightly, so the colours are not as vibrant as they are when applied over the primer):

Perversion – matte black. I’m not really a fan of matte eyeshadows and the pigmentation is comparable to one of my very cheap d/s eyeshadow which is a bit disappointing. 2/5

Gunmetal – shimmery gray with slight glitter. I really like this shade, it is a warmer gray and it really sutis me. 5/5

Ectasy – shimmery medium dark lilac. 4/5

AC/DC – this is true lavender (purplish gray) and one of my favourites in this palette 5/5

Nylon – medium dark beige with glitter 5/5

Sellout – shimmery champagne beige. Good for highlighting. 5/5

Mushroom – shimmery taupe. Another of my favourites 5/5

Sphynx – pink with glitter. This is the most pigmented light pink I’ve ever seen. Whan I got the palette, I thought it was shimmery, but when I removed top layer of the shadow, I realized that it is packed with glitter (in various colours – blue, green, gold…), although not as much as MCRA. 5/5

Half Baked – shimmery gold. 5/5

Twice Baked – dark brown with glitter,but the glitter is barely obvious
    Midnight Cowboy Rides Again – light beige full of glitter. Well, it’s actually gold and silver glitter. There is glitter fallout, but I still like how it looks when I apply only small amouunt. 4/5

YDK – shade is a bit lighter than nylon and more shimmery 5/5

Jinx – shimmery turquoise.Such shade is not something I would usually wear, but it’s good to have it in my stash to use it when I get bored with neutrals.5/5

Flipside – shimmery blueish green. It is too cold to work with my complexion.4/5

Homegrown – real green with shimmer. 5/5

Misdemeanor – dirty black with green sheen. This is one of the shadows which disappointed me most. When I saw it on the on-line swatches, I thought it would be my favourite, but in fact it’s nothing special and it’s very difficult to work with this colour. 2/5

Eyepencils are also wonderful. They are extemely soft, very longwearing and do not smudge(keep in mind that I haven’t tried them on the waterline, because I don’t wear eyeliner there). The pigmentation is wonderful – I just need to touch the skin with the pencil and it leaves a well-pigmented line. Zero is black and Bourbon is bronzey brown with very tiny goldish glitter. The pencils are my new HG.

Eyeshadow Primer Potion is another hit, and now I find it wonderful, but I want to test it during summer to give my final grade.

There is also a small booklet which can be found after opening the top cover whith mirror (which is nothing special). There are some very good looks, but I wish it included some step-by-step instructions. They claim there that the instructions can be seen on their web-page, so I checked it, but there were instructions for only one of the looks.
    The packaging is cute, but very unpractical. The shadows are in a carboard pull-out drawer which doesn’t slide smoothly. In spite of this, BOS2 is a great value and favourite part of my stash.