Curel Itch Defense Skin Balancing Moisture Lotion

Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Petrolatum, Tapioca Starch, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG/PPG 17/6 Copolymer, Behentrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Isopropyl Palmitate, Propylene Glycol, Isostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, PPG 15 Stearyl Ether, Cetyl PG Hydroxyethyl Palmitamide, Bis Methoxyproplamido Isodocosane, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Benzalkonium Chloride Solution.

on 11/8/2012 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have psoriasis & eczema. My skin can go from okay to horrible in no time. My problem areas are my legs, from knee to ankle, especially the shin area, upper legs, on the outer thigh & scalp. I suffer with this year round, but its especially bad in the cooler months. On my elbows I tend to have outbreaks but only in the winter months, during the summer in fine on the elbows.

Before I was diagnosed I had no idea WTF was going on?!?!? I've always had to deal with the roughness & itchiness on my elbows, but my legs? It started one fall after shaving. I shaved as usual, put on lotion, went to bed. I was woken a few hours later with my legs itching like there were covered in fire ant bites. I scratched & scratched, applied cortisone & scratched some more until FINALLY the itching abated, I went back to sleep. Things progressively got worse to the point that cortisone didn't help, I would scratch my legs until they bled in my half asleep state. I have scars on my shins, knees & calves to show for it.

I've used antihistamine pills, cortisone, prescription & OTC, Eucerin itch control & comfort cream, aveeno, basically EVERY itch relief there is. I was looking on MU alley a few months ago & read the Curel itch defense review, I bought it immediately & started using it. This stuff is amazing & I will NEVER be without it! After one application following shaving my legs I didn't have any itch, I use it after every shower regardless of whether or not I shave, on legs, elbows, everywhere! I even use it on my 7 yr old son's back when it gets the winter "itchies" as he calls it. Works like a charm.

The lotion is unscented though it does have a slight scent that goes away & does have a thicker texture coating the skin more do than regular lotions so I wouldn't recommend it for a friend who doesn't have eczema or psoriasis b/c the benefits of this product would be lost on them. I read a few reviews where the reviewer was complaining the lotion was too heavy, sitting on the skin, it smelled bad, etc., etc.. If you have normal skin without eczema or psoriasis then YES, this lotion is NOT FOR YOU. The very things you complained about are characteristics that people with eczema or psoriasis HAVE TO HAVE. We need something without added or manufactured scent, something thicker to coat the skin, if a person doesn't need this, they won't like it & shouldn't use it. Better to stick with a lotion NOT marketed/developed for people with eczema or psoriasis.

This stuff is cheap, it works if you have year round itchiness from eczema or psoriasis. It's thicker that most lotions but not uncomfortably so, but I'll take it b/c I'd rather wear a heavier lotion than itch myself to death. This product is amazing for people with the following skin conditions: eczema or psoriasis. I will purchase again.

on 10/22/2012 11:17:00 PM

I like Curel products in general, but this one is a no for me. I don't have eczema, but I do tend to have dry skin if I don't moisturize daily. I found that this just kinda sat on my skin and because of that, didn't soak in and moisturize the way I like.
Plus, it smells like gak to me. ( If any of you remember that stuff from your childhood. :) )

on 10/9/2012 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you're a fan of Crabtree and Evelyn's Hand Therapy, the texture is identical and has the same effect on hands and cuticles. This is a fantastic, highly moisturizing lotion that leaves skin feeling silky smooth. I have since started using CeraVe cream on my body and love it for it's ingredients, but find that it lacks the nice after feel of this Curel lotion. That said, should I find myself with a dry patch or two, I'd happily layer some of this on top, knowing that it would fix the problem. This is really good stuff!

on 10/3/2012 11:10:00 PM

This lotion is moisturizing, but doesn't relieve itchy skin. I find it has an odd texture and leaves my skin feeling chalky. I would choose not to repurchase this lotion simply because I hate the medicinal smell.

on 9/25/2012 3:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Bought this based on MUA and Beautypedia (Paula Begoun) excellent reviews, and I can see why. It has the "National Eczema Association Approved" seal on it. It is fragrance-free and very hydrating. It sinks right into my skin and keeps it soft. I have eczema and this is probably the best moisturizer I've gone through.

on 9/9/2012 10:42:00 AM

This is a very good lotion for people with sensitive skin.

on 8/24/2012 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

After trying just about every other brand of lotion (and even a couple from this brand) I had almost given up on trying to find a lotion that works for me. This Itch Defense is the one! Wow...I'm blown away by it's effectiveness and how well it hydrates my extremely dry sensitive skin without causing further irritation. When I say hydrate I mean velvety moist and perfectly smooth skin. It's thick and rich, but not greasy, and you don't need 10 minutes to rub it all in...A couple swipes and you're done. Most creams and lotions cause me to breakout in rashes all over and itch like crazy...but not this one. Ive had unsightly scales on my shins for as long as i can remember and nothing would improve it. After using itch defense for a week that's all gone! I felt like crying when I noticed how nice my legs look without all that scaliness! And I'm so happy it's completely fragrance free! If you have problem skin or just want a lotion that will make your skin baby soft and silky this is an absolute must try! It has transformed my skin. I'm tempted to buy a case of this stuff and live in fear they'll discontinue it!

on 8/20/2012 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've been using this lotion for close to a year now, and I am absolutely sold on it. I get eczema on my hands, elbows and face and this lotion really helps. It hydrates my skin and relieves the itch. My skin has never been softer since I started using this, especially my very dry legs. The bottle says safe to use on face and it's true! It doesn't clog my pores and helps the eczema on my face, leaving it ready for makeup application without dry patches. It is the perfect consistency....not runny and not too thick or greasy. It doesn't take that long to dry. It's also fragrance free so it doesn't interfere with my perfume. This is one of the very few lotions that doesn't irritate my legs when I put it on after I shave. Most lotions burn and give me red bumps. The price is very reasonable too. I think it's around $6 at Walmart for a 13 oz. bottle. I highly recommend this lotion, and plan on continuing to use it. This lotion is AMAZING.

on 8/4/2012 4:35:00 PM

I was first recommended this product nine years ago by my doctor, when I was suffering from frequent bouts of eczema. This product definitely helped soothe and eliminate the large rashes on my body. I still keep coming back to this product today! As someone with both eczema and sensitive skin, I can confidently say that this is the best moisturizing body lotion that I have ever tried.

The product comes in a large bottle with a lot of product, with a large pump. The lotion itself is extremely light and spreads very quickly and evenly onto the skin. It leaves the applied area extremely soft and relieves itchiness.

I would not only recommend this product to eczema sufferers, but to those who wish to have baby soft skin as well! Awesome product.

on 8/2/2012 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the best lotion I've ever used on my dry, eczema prone skin. It makes my skin super soft and well hydrated. It is very thick so I don't use it in the summer. I like that even their smaller 13 oz. bottles come with a pump. I like lotions in a pump bottle and other lotions like Jergens and Vaseline only come in bottles with pumps if you buy the jumbo 20+oz. bottles. I don't like getting the giant bottles. The packaging is pretty boring though, but I don't buy lotions for how cute the packaging is so I'll continue to buy this lotion as long as they continue making it.

Popular Lotions / Creams