April 18, 2014 | 1593 users online

Hair Color - Ion - Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2010 4:09:00 PM More reviews by edahl69

Love this stuff! Have tried Natural Instincts and another demipermanent line whose name I can't recall, and this provided far prettier color and better coverage at a rock-bottom price. My hair is a medium brown, 20% gray, and regularly colored. Based on the reviews here about how dark the results are, I went light and bought a 7N. Came out just right--hair is still a medium brown, but a prettier and far less gray one now. Used 1:2 proportion, did roots first, then went to ends. About 20 mins total processing. A little more do-it-yourself than the regular drugstore kits, in that you have to buy the developer separately, provided your own plastic gloves, etc., but the extra effort is completely worth it. Just use a nice conditioner after you rinse and shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2010 9:12:00 PM More reviews by CK5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I agree with everyone else, the color certainly runs a couple of shades darker, so be very careful when choosing your shade. Let me share my experience with all of you...

My hair is naturally curly, my natural hair color is a level 4 brown. Originally when I started to use this product, I bought either a level 4 or even a 3!!! While I didn't mind the darker shade of brown, with time, the ends started to look almost black compared to my roots. I had to do something to remedy the situation.

I decided to get highlights done to try and blend the dark color with some lighter tones in an attempt to get closer to my natural color level. This has worked well but needed a couple of visits to the salon for full foils before I really saw a difference. It was a much safer alternative than completely bleaching my hair and starting from scratch!

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson, I am not going to touch anything lower than a level 6 in this product, there are plenty of tones to choose from (natural dk blonde to dk copper blonde) depending on my mood. These colors blend beautifully with highlights. I did the copper blonde for a few months and just re-colored with dark golden blonde. This has yielded a beautiful shade of brown with tons of shine!! It's also pretty darn close to my natural color but better! I am very pleased with the results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by cmhwi

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for a few years. Before this I was using the Wella Demi which I also had pretty good luck with.
I have about 50% gray at the crown and a few others mixed in. My normal level is about 5 (with gray). I tend to go orange, so want to counteract that and I previously experimented with 7N and some 7G (didn't like the results). I have also used 7N by itself w/developer, but that came out very dull on me.
I was in the mood to go darker (I know the outgrowth will be a negative), but I picked up 5N and 3RV, plus some clear color gloss and the 10 vol. developer.
I used a tube of 5N with a small dab (about an inch), of the 3RV (to counteract the gold tones), and then the developer to equal the color 1:1. This came out very dark on the roots, but I left it on over 30 min. Next time I would not let it go that long, maybe 20. Ended up the root area was a dark cherry cola shade which is beautiful, but more like a 4 level on me.
Then for the length I mixed 1:1 5N and 00 (Clear gloss) and ran that through and left on for 10 min. That did a good job of refreshing the length and producing shine.
~just remember to be careful about the level go a shade or two lighter until you find the level you like.
My hair is not damaged by this brand and I will continue to use it, since I like experimenting with customized shades.
The Ion Effective Care conditioner is really wonderful.
I can spend $10 and do my thick, shoulder length hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2014 8:33:00 PM More reviews by betriix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This didn't work at all for me. I have naturally dark brown hair. Recently I bleached it a couple of times, and the last time it ended up bright orange/yellow. A little unevenly bleached, but overall very, very light. I thought this should be light enough to tone to a dark blonde (any tone but red). I purchased the Ion Demi in both 9 Ash and 7 Ash (There's no ash version in 8). I combined them 3/4 of 9 to 1/4 7 (the people at Ion said this would make an 8 Ash). This darkened my hair considerably and made it auburn color. I don't know why so many ashy colors are violet based. Violet has red in it, and will deepen the red. And blue is a very dark hue. Both will destroy gold. But I LIKE a little gold. I just don't like red! I'm so desperate to find something green based, that I'm almost willing to try something crazy like Manic Panic green, even though it's not meant to look natural. Otherwise I guess I have to bleach my hair to near white, before I can make it a light brown/dark blonde that's not auburn looking. There has to be a way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2012 12:12:00 AM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am in the process of going back to brown hair, my hair started to fall and has gotten really thin due to high lift permanent color, highlights and bleach, it was down to my waist and now is at chest level. Did a lot of research before choosing this brand since my hair and scalp can't take the multiple root touch up I was doing monthly. I am happy that going back up in the color scale is pretty easy considering that it took me a little under two years to become a level 11 blonde. Two days ago I bought Ion Demi in 8N mixed with 10V, sprayed the pre-color treatment and left the mix for 25 minutes since I had so many different shades of blonde. Color came out pretty uniform and darker as everyone has mentioned, on me it's a dark warm blonde/very light warm brown depending on the light. Hair feels soft, looks shiny and I hope I am on my way to having beautiful, long, shiny healthy hair again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2014 3:30:00 AM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Medium Ash Blonde 7NA. I am reverting from henna to my natural medium/dark brown color. I used some indigo to tone the red but it was still peeking through. I used greenish/teal manic panic to tone but red still peeking through. I found this laying in my drawer from my blonde days and thought what the hay, at least it's 'ASH'. Mixed 1:2 - color:10 vol and applied for 25 min. It has toned down the red considerably and left me with a warm dark brown. Yes... Medium blonde left me with dark brown. And warning: when they say ash they mean it. Shower run-off and skin stains were green. Which is exactly what I needed and ill definitely buy again to refresh til my natural color grows in, but if you're light blonde or something this will probably turn your hair dark and green. My first time using a Demi color instead of permanent with the lower developer and I'm very pleased; my hair is not damaged. Will use again and again til that pesky red is gone!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/25/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by Anadgirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the worst thing I've ever used on my hair...I chose Medium Natural Blonde, with the help of a clerk from Sally's...it not only turned my blonde hair a fairly dark brown, it left it flat, with no shine...it looked damaged, dull...the color extremely uneven...with the help of some coconut oil and my old standbye Wella 9N, I got my medium blonde color and shine back...and thankfully, minimal damage to my hair...I will never use Ion again!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2012 7:27:00 PM More reviews by crawfore

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this at Sally's Beauty Salon and was impressed with the coverage. I chose light reddish brown and it came out a medium cranberry auburn color - a little artificial at first but more natural looking after about a week. The color is intense and lasts longer than any other demi-permanent including Wella and Goldwell. I used the 10% sensitive scalp developer and left it on the roots 30 minutes, ran it through the rest of the hair, and left it on another 15 minutes. I then washed it out and used the ION shampoo and conditioner afterward. I am over 50% gray and this covered my grays and white hairs completely. Other than the slightly artificial shade for a few days, this product really delivers at an unbelievably reasonable price. I highly recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/18/2012 12:09:00 PM More reviews by erykahjm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

WAY DARKER THAN EXPECTED! Ok, so against my better judgement, 3 months ago I touched up my permanently dyed dark brown hair using a combo of 5n and 3rv before reading the reviews on MUA. As previously mentioned, I came out with BLACK hair. I don't mind black hair, but the only problem was there was no reddish tint to it (which I think softens the look). I did a bleach cap to remove color, and after months of trims, protein treatments (thank you Aphogee), and professional demi tint jobs, I've decided to go this route again. I am going to be trying this again with a level 6 or 7 mixed with clear. I figure I'd rather be too light than too dark. I will update my review once I try this lighter process. *fingers crossed*
**UPDATE**
After trying this again in a level 8, I still ended up with black hair from root to tip, so I know it's not just from the damaged hair's porosity. This stuff runs way too dark for me. After letting this fade out (which took FOREVER), I used redken shades eq in 5cb, and the color is just what I wanted. I bought it online for about what I paid for the ion. I will not be buying ion again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2011 11:02:00 AM More reviews by pebstheyorkie

My hair has been all over bleached blonde for a couple of years and I'm tired of the washed out look. I decided to add some lowlights in with this product. I used a cap, pulled through some pieces and put on the Light Nuetral Blonde shade. I went with the nuetral because my hair already has lots of ash tones and really thought any more ash tone could turn it green! It came out pretty good for my first time trying lowlights! And talk about cheap.... I only used half the packages so I still have enough to use for another time. This is a good product. I have paid big $$ in the past for lowlights and for about $4 this is just fine. It will only get better as I practice with it.