Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium

4.1

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 7/1/2010 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

My Colorgems shade (Golden Copper Brown 4.63) has been discontinued, so I switched to Ion Color Brilliance 4RC, which was supposed to be the equivalent shade. It's a good formula which actually lasts longer than the Colorgems did, and it conditions the hair nicely. However, the color went much darker than I expected it to, and left stubborn dark areas on my hair that turned out to be more or less permanent. So be careful as you mix this up, and go lighter than you think you should. The main reason I won't be buying it again is that the copper is just not coppery enough. It leans towards pink rather than orange, and doesn't look as natural because of this. If you like violet shades, this might be perfect for you. But if you're looking for a true copper, skip this line.

on 3/13/2015 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I initially wrote a lengthy review but as I've got some updates I'll just sum it up with an ol fashion list of pros and cons:

PROS:
1. The developer smells nice thus mixed with the colorant you still get that chemical smell but it's slightly masked by a green applesque scent.
2. The colorant is usually 4.49 with a Sally's card but many times they're BOGO or you can buy the color and get free developer to boot.
3. The colorant tubes have the ounces marked on the side thus you can use say half of the 2 oz package and save the rest for another application or root touch up.
4. You can re-use the colorant even if you've opened it (I've done this months later..which Idk is good or bad in the professional world.)
5. Ion brand comes with many different additives for their shades including intensifiers, pre color treatments, after color sealers, etc, all of which are pretty effective, inexpensive, and make coloring hair pretty idiot proof.
6. *****YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE ONLY DEMI SHADES FOR DEMI COLOR. unlike Wella brand which has specific 'developing lotion' for their demi shades, Ion is okay to use with any generic developer and their own in varying 10-40 Volume. THUS, you can use ANY ION SHADE with a 10 volume developer and achieve the demi perks, i.e less damage, more color deposit, no lift (best for hair of same shade or darker, TEN VOL WILL NOT LIGHTEN, demi color or not)

sounds pretty great, right?
Here's the cons:

1. I find the ion creme (cream?) color DOES NOT easily mix with the developer so strictly tinting brush and bowl = wrist cramping and frustration. you're best bet is to purchase an applicator bottle, which are relatively cheap at Sallys, and shake it up then pour into bowl.
2. Despite the developer being 'sensitive scalp' developer, I find it still irritates my scalp slightly, and I don't have overly sensitive skin or anything and I don't mind i mean, its chemicals, I've come to terms with it. But you definitely should patch test regardless of it's claims.
3. This is where it gets bad. The colors, demi or not, do not seem to EVER be true to description or swatch. Obv unless you're at virgin blonde hair, the swatch will not be your outcome. But if I use a 9A blonde, with a protein filler, I shouldn't get black hair.
4. Ion always leaves my hair dry and damaged. Granted, it's chemicals, and like I said I'm not kidding myself with the state of my hair before or after, but it takes a lot of deep conditioning and a lot of NOT heat styling to get my hair to look shiny and somewhat healthy.

ALL IN ALL:
I have been using Ion brand in permanent, semi permanent, and demi for a while. I've used the demi in various shades numerous times and my complaint isn't even like the rest in that the color comes out too dark (by now you should know to pick two shades lighter).
But I recently switched to Wella brand, and although I can't (I don't think) convert any Wella color I like to a demi shade, I do love the way it leaves my hair and the color/pigment/tones are all spot on.

Would I repurchase? Probably, it could happen. But I PREFER Wella.

on 4/19/2013 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

So many well written, detailed and positive reviews here I won't go on. Believe the good reviews. This stuff lasts! After 2+ weeks using #3RVR burgundy brown it's STILL shiny and coloured. I had these light ends from using drugstore permanents and nothing would blend it. My hair dresser did a great job blending it with a semi I think but for $100 and having it wash out in under two weeks, it wasn't worth it. This demi though is amazing! :o I'm so shocked. For $3 on sale plus developer, the colour is complex and gorgeous. I'm so impressed. I used it 1:1 because my hair doesn't take colour well and it did end up quite dark and saturated but I adore it. I would recommend this to anyone!

on 8/9/2011 1:21:00 AM

This is a good dye but it does run extremely dark. So dark that I felt compelled to write a review, which I haven't done in ages. I've used this hair color many times with good results. I've always tried to deepen the color of my hair, so the fact that it ran very dark didn't bother me. I still chose 2 shades lighter than my desired shade and I was always happy.

This time I decided I didn't want to deepen the color, but just take the red out of it. My hair is a dark reddish brown right now. The last time I dyed it (which was with this dye) was probably 4 months ago. I knew I wasn't going to lighten it but I just wanted it the same color (or slightly darker) and to cover up the red.

I have very thick, longish hair. I used a tube of light neutral brown and a tube of clear. I also used a ratio of 1:2 for dye to developer so the color wasn't so concentrated. I figured the clear would add shine and cut the color as well. I left the mixture on for 20 minutes and washed and dried. It's nearly black!

I'm not super upset because the color doesn't look bad on me and it is very shiny and pretty. But I just can't give a 5 star review to something that runs 3-4 shades dark. Use this dye with caution! It is a good product but it runs very, very dark.

on 10/20/2010 4:09:00 PM

Love this stuff! Have tried Natural Instincts and another demipermanent line whose name I can't recall, and this provided far prettier color and better coverage at a rock-bottom price. My hair is a medium brown, 20% gray, and regularly colored. Based on the reviews here about how dark the results are, I went light and bought a 7N. Came out just right--hair is still a medium brown, but a prettier and far less gray one now. Used 1:2 proportion, did roots first, then went to ends. About 20 mins total processing. A little more do-it-yourself than the regular drugstore kits, in that you have to buy the developer separately, provided your own plastic gloves, etc., but the extra effort is completely worth it. Just use a nice conditioner after you rinse and shampoo.

on 8/8/2010 9:12:00 PM

I agree with everyone else, the color certainly runs a couple of shades darker, so be very careful when choosing your shade. Let me share my experience with all of you...

My hair is naturally curly, my natural hair color is a level 4 brown. Originally when I started to use this product, I bought either a level 4 or even a 3!!! While I didn't mind the darker shade of brown, with time, the ends started to look almost black compared to my roots. I had to do something to remedy the situation.

I decided to get highlights done to try and blend the dark color with some lighter tones in an attempt to get closer to my natural color level. This has worked well but needed a couple of visits to the salon for full foils before I really saw a difference. It was a much safer alternative than completely bleaching my hair and starting from scratch!

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson, I am not going to touch anything lower than a level 6 in this product, there are plenty of tones to choose from (natural dk blonde to dk copper blonde) depending on my mood. These colors blend beautifully with highlights. I did the copper blonde for a few months and just re-colored with dark golden blonde. This has yielded a beautiful shade of brown with tons of shine!! It's also pretty darn close to my natural color but better! I am very pleased with the results.

on 6/29/2010 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this for a few years. Before this I was using the Wella Demi which I also had pretty good luck with.
I have about 50% gray at the crown and a few others mixed in. My normal level is about 5 (with gray). I tend to go orange, so want to counteract that and I previously experimented with 7N and some 7G (didn't like the results). I have also used 7N by itself w/developer, but that came out very dull on me.
I was in the mood to go darker (I know the outgrowth will be a negative), but I picked up 5N and 3RV, plus some clear color gloss and the 10 vol. developer.
I used a tube of 5N with a small dab (about an inch), of the 3RV (to counteract the gold tones), and then the developer to equal the color 1:1. This came out very dark on the roots, but I left it on over 30 min. Next time I would not let it go that long, maybe 20. Ended up the root area was a dark cherry cola shade which is beautiful, but more like a 4 level on me.
Then for the length I mixed 1:1 5N and 00 (Clear gloss) and ran that through and left on for 10 min. That did a good job of refreshing the length and producing shine.
~just remember to be careful about the level go a shade or two lighter until you find the level you like.
My hair is not damaged by this brand and I will continue to use it, since I like experimenting with customized shades.
The Ion Effective Care conditioner is really wonderful.
I can spend $10 and do my thick, shoulder length hair.

on 5/14/2015 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For years I had been doing my hair with permanent color from the drugstore. Usually Garnier Nutrisse or Revlon Colorsilk. Since I got my hair cut short and its in such great shape, I decided to try a demi permanent color from Sallys. I was hoping this would cause less damage to my hair.
I had medium golden brown hair to start and I bought 7WR (Medium Warm Red Blonde) in Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Color. I mixed it with Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer in a 1:2 ratio and let it sit on my hair 25 minutes. The results were dark brown hair with a touch of red. I deliberately chose two shades lighter than the color I wanted and it still came out too dark. The color isn't bad with my complexion but its not what I hoped to achieve. I wanted a medium reddish brown color. The good thing is this demi permanent color and will wash out in about a month's time.
There were a few good things about this product. It was easy to apply, very gentle on my hair,didn't burn my scalp and the color came out a very rich dark brown and shiny. Next time I will try a lighter color.

on 3/7/2014 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This didn't work at all for me. I have naturally dark brown hair. Recently I bleached it a couple of times, and the last time it ended up bright orange/yellow. A little unevenly bleached, but overall very, very light. I thought this should be light enough to tone to a dark blonde (any tone but red). I purchased the Ion Demi in both 9 Ash and 7 Ash (There's no ash version in 8). I combined them 3/4 of 9 to 1/4 7 (the people at Ion said this would make an 8 Ash). This darkened my hair considerably and made it auburn color. I don't know why so many ashy colors are violet based. Violet has red in it, and will deepen the red. And blue is a very dark hue. Both will destroy gold. But I LIKE a little gold. I just don't like red! I'm so desperate to find something green based, that I'm almost willing to try something crazy like Manic Panic green, even though it's not meant to look natural. Otherwise I guess I have to bleach my hair to near white, before I can make it a light brown/dark blonde that's not auburn looking. There has to be a way.

on 9/29/2012 7:27:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this at Sally's Beauty Salon and was impressed with the coverage. I chose light reddish brown and it came out a medium cranberry auburn color - a little artificial at first but more natural looking after about a week. The color is intense and lasts longer than any other demi-permanent including Wella and Goldwell. I used the 10% sensitive scalp developer and left it on the roots 30 minutes, ran it through the rest of the hair, and left it on another 15 minutes. I then washed it out and used the ION shampoo and conditioner afterward. I am over 50% gray and this covered my grays and white hairs completely. Other than the slightly artificial shade for a few days, this product really delivers at an unbelievably reasonable price. I highly recommend it.

Popular Hair Color Products