Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium

4.2

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I tried this b/c I wanted to quit damaging my hair with permanent color. I chose a shade 2x lighter than normal, followed the directions and while my roots came out the desired color, the rest of my hair was almost black. Clearly this is not what I was going for. I thought it would fade within a few days. Some of it did fade judging by the stains left on my white bath towels each day. After four days, my roots were back to their usual medium brown color (w/greys) but the rest was still nearly black. I ended up using Ion's Color Corrector to remove most of the black. That left my hair a nice brassy orange which I then colored with Wella's Color Charm Cashmere 6NW (Dark Natural Warm Blonde). The end result is medium warm brown hair. Whew. Will not touch a demi- permanent again.

Love this stuff! Have tried Natural Instincts and another demipermanent line whose name I can't recall, and this provided far prettier color and better coverage at a rock-bottom price. My hair is a medium brown, 20% gray, and regularly colored. Based on the reviews here about how dark the results are, I went light and bought a 7N. Came out just right--hair is still a medium brown, but a prettier and far less gray one now. Used 1:2 proportion, did roots first, then went to ends. About 20 mins total processing. A little more do-it-yourself than the regular drugstore kits, in that you have to buy the developer separately, provided your own plastic gloves, etc., but the extra effort is completely worth it. Just use a nice conditioner after you rinse and shampoo.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

My Colorgems shade (Golden Copper Brown 4.63) has been discontinued, so I switched to Ion Color Brilliance 4RC, which was supposed to be the equivalent shade. It's a good formula which actually lasts longer than the Colorgems did, and it conditions the hair nicely. However, the color went much darker than I expected it to, and left stubborn dark areas on my hair that turned out to be more or less permanent. So be careful as you mix this up, and go lighter than you think you should. The main reason I won't be buying it again is that the copper is just not coppery enough. It leans towards pink rather than orange, and doesn't look as natural because of this. If you like violet shades, this might be perfect for you. But if you're looking for a true copper, skip this line.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For years I had been doing my hair with permanent color from the drugstore. Usually Garnier Nutrisse or Revlon Colorsilk. Since I got my hair cut short and its in such great shape, I decided to try a demi permanent color from Sallys. I was hoping this would cause less damage to my hair.
I had medium golden brown hair to start and I bought 7WR (Medium Warm Red Blonde) in Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Color. I mixed it with Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer in a 1:2 ratio and let it sit on my hair 25 minutes. The results were dark brown hair with a touch of red. I deliberately chose two shades lighter than the color I wanted and it still came out too dark. The color isn't bad with my complexion but its not what I hoped to achieve. I wanted a medium reddish brown color. The good thing is this demi permanent color and will wash out in about a month's time.
There were a few good things about this product. It was easy to apply, very gentle on my hair,didn't burn my scalp and the color came out a very rich dark brown and shiny. Next time I will try a lighter color.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

So many well written, detailed and positive reviews here I won't go on. Believe the good reviews. This stuff lasts! After 2+ weeks using #3RVR burgundy brown it's STILL shiny and coloured. I had these light ends from using drugstore permanents and nothing would blend it. My hair dresser did a great job blending it with a semi I think but for $100 and having it wash out in under two weeks, it wasn't worth it. This demi though is amazing! :o I'm so shocked. For $3 on sale plus developer, the colour is complex and gorgeous. I'm so impressed. I used it 1:1 because my hair doesn't take colour well and it did end up quite dark and saturated but I adore it. I would recommend this to anyone!

I agree with everyone else, the color certainly runs a couple of shades darker, so be very careful when choosing your shade. Let me share my experience with all of you...

My hair is naturally curly, my natural hair color is a level 4 brown. Originally when I started to use this product, I bought either a level 4 or even a 3!!! While I didn't mind the darker shade of brown, with time, the ends started to look almost black compared to my roots. I had to do something to remedy the situation.

I decided to get highlights done to try and blend the dark color with some lighter tones in an attempt to get closer to my natural color level. This has worked well but needed a couple of visits to the salon for full foils before I really saw a difference. It was a much safer alternative than completely bleaching my hair and starting from scratch!

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson, I am not going to touch anything lower than a level 6 in this product, there are plenty of tones to choose from (natural dk blonde to dk copper blonde) depending on my mood. These colors blend beautifully with highlights. I did the copper blonde for a few months and just re-colored with dark golden blonde. This has yielded a beautiful shade of brown with tons of shine!! It's also pretty darn close to my natural color but better! I am very pleased with the results.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this for a few years. Before this I was using the Wella Demi which I also had pretty good luck with.
I have about 50% gray at the crown and a few others mixed in. My normal level is about 5 (with gray). I tend to go orange, so want to counteract that and I previously experimented with 7N and some 7G (didn't like the results). I have also used 7N by itself w/developer, but that came out very dull on me.
I was in the mood to go darker (I know the outgrowth will be a negative), but I picked up 5N and 3RV, plus some clear color gloss and the 10 vol. developer.
I used a tube of 5N with a small dab (about an inch), of the 3RV (to counteract the gold tones), and then the developer to equal the color 1:1. This came out very dark on the roots, but I left it on over 30 min. Next time I would not let it go that long, maybe 20. Ended up the root area was a dark cherry cola shade which is beautiful, but more like a 4 level on me.
Then for the length I mixed 1:1 5N and 00 (Clear gloss) and ran that through and left on for 10 min. That did a good job of refreshing the length and producing shine.
~just remember to be careful about the level go a shade or two lighter until you find the level you like.
My hair is not damaged by this brand and I will continue to use it, since I like experimenting with customized shades.
The Ion Effective Care conditioner is really wonderful.
I can spend $10 and do my thick, shoulder length hair.

I spent a ton of time researching this before I used it and am HUGELY grateful for the advice and comments below - so I was well prepared to expect 2 shades darker, etc. So true!

I'm naturally a 5 or so but have been using box Color in mostly 6s for a few years. My hair just hadn't looked healthy or natural and I've wanted to come up with an easy way to do my hair at home without destroying it. I chose 6nb with a 10 vol and used a 1:2 ratio.

I did the strand/allergy test and was prepared to go one level darker based on the results. it ended up being a rich color halfway between a 4 and a 5 if I was buying a box color from the drugstore. I love it - the process itself was a little stressful as the cream is more difficult to apply and I wasn't sure that 2 oz of color and 4 oz of developer was enough. It was - just barely. If your hair is longer than shoulder length I'd buy 2 packages to be on the safe side. I am so used to overwhelming dye smells but this product had no powerful odours and didn't sting at all. I have psoriasis so colouring my hair usually really hurts. This was a breeze!!!

So far I'm very very happy - but would want to echo other comments re going darker. Be careful if you expect dark blonde to look "typically blonde" - it's a lovely chocolate brown.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I am very impressed with Ion. I have been coloring my hair for the last 3 years. All sorts of colors,however, this time I wanted to try something more natural. So i had Rose colored hair (Ion Color Brilliance Brights), I wanted to cover it with a blonde color. Looking for something that isnt permanent ,I decided upon Demi permanent. I bought the shade "Lightest Golden Blonde ". I was very impressed. It came out beautiful . My hair even felt healthier. I used it with 10vl developer. It was a beautiful golden blonde,not brassy,but natural looking blonde. I give it 5 lipsticks.
TIP:Since its no lift,the color will come out darker than the swatch so get within a few shades of what u currently have (Dont get a blonde dye if you have black hair),get lighter than you want because it comes out darker. You can also dilute it with the Clear shafe to make the color more true to the swatch. I am going to try the shade "Lightest Natural Blonde". I'll be back to review that shade.

I purchased this in the shade 9na. Since i heard demis run dark, i was expecting a level 7 or 8. I applied this all over my blonde roots to create an subtle ombre effect. After 10 or 15 min, i noticed the color turning into a sandy brown so i rinsed it out. My results were a toned ashy blonde. It was no darker than before. This is a nice shade to tone brassy blondes. Ill use this to tone next time i bleach!