Grapeseed Oil

4.3

grapeseed oil!

on 6/12/2012 3:05:00 AM

I have this in unlisted brand , in the form of cooking oil. I read about the benefits of grapeseed oil somewhere some time ago,so when I saw this grapeseed oil in the food section, I thought 'What the heck, let's give it a try'; if it won't work for my face, it'll do good in the salad bowl, so to speak.

At first I really don't know where to put oil-time in my beauty regime, but *lightbulb* 'Cleansing oil!'. So I use this kitchen-y cooking oil as eye makeup cleansing oil. It works perfectly. Then one lazy day I use some drops of this oil and massage it onto my face, and have a warm&wet washcloth to cover my greasy face; let it cool then wipe the leftover oil with clean, warm & wet washcloth.
been suffering from cystic acne, white heads, black heads, milia, hormone acnes during PMS, you name it, even to my late 20-s and until now (i'm 30 btw); i never thought an OIL will put my skin into this state.It never gives me breaks out, just slight shiny look on my forehead -which the solution is a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar + a teaspoon of water; wipe it on and it's done. smooth and supple skin all day without any shine, clogged pore, or whatever my problem were.

I use it twice a day, in the morning before day regime and night before the night regime. and so long bottled-manufactured-commercials-cleansers, i've found the love of my life!

will I buy it again?why NOT?it's dirt cheap, and it works!

on 5/29/2011 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Grapeseed was my first foray into using oils as skincare. I bought a small bottle of Merlot brand (which is 100% oil with no additives) from Ulta. This was before I realized that you could purchase the same stuff from the grocery store cooking aisle, so if I were to repurchase I would go that route, as you get more product for less money. I chose Grapeseed because I read that it was a good choice for oily skin. It's mildly astringent and full of antioxidants. It's very lightweight and has almost no scent. I used it as a precleanse/makeup remover and for that it was wonderful. Melted everything off and left my skin smooth and soft. I always followed up with a foaming cleanser. However, it did clog me a bit when I tried using it as a light PM moisturizer, which leads me to believe it may have clogged me further if I didn't use a foaming cleanser after makeup removal. I finished the bottle but am currently testing mineral oil which is even more lightweight, cheaper, and easier (for me) to acquire. But I still think I would repurchase grapeseed and recommend it to those with oily skin.
Edit: The fragrance in baby oil began to irritate me and i didnt feel like paying more to order unscented online so I switched back to grapeseed. I found a huge bottle of Grapeola brand at Wal-Mart in the cooking oil section and it's wonderful. I use it as a makeup remover followed by a foaming cleanser. I discovered that I can use it as a night moisturizer without clogs or breakouts but applying sparingly is key. Just a few drops and my skin is happy and glowing. I have added another lippie bringing this up to five.

on 11/25/2010 2:40:00 PM

Grapeseed oil, how do I love thee? This is great as a makeup remover, as many here have said. It is super gentle, soothing...it's almost like a remover and a treatment in one. My acne prone skin has no issues with it, seems be normalizing my oil production,too.

I was using baby oil for my mega waterproof mascara/sunblock removal (which I still keep on standby), but it was making my eyelashes fall out! This actually seems to be making my eyelashes grow longer, and I don't have the eyelashes coming out with the mascara removal anymore. Even my husband noticed the difference when I had no mascara on...I'm sold.

Of course it's not really packaged the best, I buy organic in bulk in the cooking department, then transfer to a smaller bottle.

on 10/5/2010 9:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First off, I rarely write reviews, but since I rely on them as a consumer, I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I've never had good skin, as a result of teenage to early 20s acne and sun damage. But for the last 10 years or so, it has been calm and breakout free (except for an occasional mild flare). I have noticed that glycolic acid tended to break me out like crazy, but other than that, things were OK. Then in July I started to have a crazy breakout, begininng with small bumps and clogged pores to cystic, painful acne all over my face and neck. It was killing me. I thought maybe one of my cleansers was the culprit and tried a million things (probably spending over 500 dollars on products). Then I began to think it was inflammatory and a reaction to all of the chemicals in the products I was using and I did some research and came up with the crazy idea to use grapeseed oil. I bought a good sized bottle at wholefoods for about 7 dollars (!!!!) It has been over 2 weeks now and I have to say things have calmed down almost completely (still some work to go!). I added a few drops of tea tree oil and I really think this is helping. I use 2 drops on my face and pat it around. It absorbs quickly and leaves a subtle natural glow. And it seems to be moisturizing just enough. Also, at night I put Argan oil around my eyes and I think this is helping with fine lines. I also scrub with baking soda every other day. Im now so obsessed with natural products that I have thrown away all my expensive bottles and my medicine cabinet is being filled with kitchen products!

ADDENDUM: iT WAS NOT QUITE THE MIRACLE i WAS HOPING FOR, IN FACT i SWITCHED TO SUNFLOWER AND THEN SAFFLOWER OIL (WHICH WAS BETTER). ALL IN ALL, THESE OILS ARE NOT MOISTURIZING ENOUGH (ALTHOUGH GREASY)AND I STILL HAD PRETTY BAD BREAKOUTS. I AM TRYING WELEDA SKIN FOOD FOR A WEEK NOW AND THINGS HAVE IMPROVED EVEN MORE!

on 7/28/2014 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Background:

I, like most people with combination & acne-prone/sensitive skin, was very hesitant to try ANY oil on my face what-so-ever. After being bombarded by cosmetologists, my doctor and basically any online advice column that oil-free products are vital to treating acne and oily skin, I steered clear of any that listed oil as an ingredient. As a result, I developed extremely dehydrated skin to a degree that I imagine would resemble a patient on Accutane...flaking every time I applied or took my makeup off. Lo and behold, drying out my skin trying to alleviate my dripping oily face only exasperated the problem which of course, led to more breakouts.

Fast forward; after reading about how several oils can actually be beneficial for acne-prone skin, I opted to try Grapeseed oil, reluctantly still. I had some clogged pores on my jaw line and the following day after applying the oil, the plugs just fell out. I then tried it on my forehead, which also...after a day or two became completely unplugged. It's also VERY VERY anti-inflammatory-more so than anything I ever tried before-and full of antioxidants. The first two weeks I loved it so much, I think I applied too much. My makeup began pooling under this stuff as it wasn't soaking in well enough and I also started experiencing dry skin again. Turns out Grapeseed oil is a dry oil. As such, use it sparingly and use it as a spot treatment/blend with your daily moisturizer for unaffected areas.

This oil definitely made me less terrified of using oils on my face. I think I may try jojoba oil to use as a moisturizing component in addition to the Grapeseed oil next to help reduce the drying/astringent nature of the Grapeseed oil.

I guess the point I am trying to make is...anyone who suffers from oily/acne-prone skin...STOP using products that are marketed for oily skin and even acne prone skin. Chances are, these solutions contains alcohol or some kind of sulfate that cuts through oil and leaves your face feeling tight and stripped. Dissolve oil with oil!!

on 5/15/2013 11:03:00 PM

I need this oil. NEED it. I started using this oil from big lots, didn't say it was organic, just regular grape seed cooking oil. My hormonal, dry, cystic adult acne skin looked more amazing then it ever had. Grape seed oil cleared my acne and made my skin look young and glowy. I even left it on over night and it would help even more with my acne. Amazing. Then I ran and started experimenting with other oils and ww3 happened on my skin. It was horrible. I even tried going back to drugstore cleansers (yuck) but then I finally bought grape seed oil again and in just two days my skin is way clearer, pores smaller. less irritated and just looks more normal and feels normal. I couldn't believe how much of a different it made. This time I bought an expeller pressed oil from sprouts, and I can tell a difference between the first one that I bought. Definitely opt for the most natural that you can get. I also love grape seed oil because I don't have to spend 10 minutes trying to get all of the oil off of my face cause it doesn't clog my pores. And i think it just feels lighter then other oilsI love love love this oil. I also use it day and night as a eye moisturizer. Maybe difference in my wrinkles and eye bags. Oh grape seed oil, I will never leave you again.

on 4/14/2013 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Pros

- lightweight
- balances oily skin
- absorbs quickly
- high in antioxidants
- provides sun protection

Cons

- expires quickly

Comments: I would never think that an oil could control my...oil. This is fantastic for oily skin. It is now my go-to facial moisturizer. It apparently also helps with stretch marks, but I will have to use this a while longer to see if I get results. I have used this as a heat protectant with no damage to my hair (no my hair didn't turn into fried chicken) and controls frizz better than my silicone-based serums without weighing down my fine hair. Napa Valley Naturals is supposedly the brand to go for when purchasing this oil, but I even like Life-Flo quite a bit and is found at most health stores.

Will repurchase.

on 12/18/2012 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have always used EVOO to oil cleanse my Revlon Colorstay foundation off. IMO, if you use Colorstay foundation, you'll have to remove it w/some kind of oil, otherwise I think it just sits in your pores and causes break-outs.
EVOO worked very well, but it is very greasy and I have to sometimes to a double cleanse w/my regular facewash to remove the EVOO. PLUS, sometimes the smell of EVOO can kinda make you gag.
When my EVOO was gone, I picked up Grapeseed oil based on the good reviews here. I LOVE it!! It removes the Colorstay just as good as EVOO, maybe better, because it's not so slick and it doesn't have any scent. It's more of a "dry" oil, not at all greasy, and it leaves my face skin so soft. I've also started using just a little drop under my eyes every morning/night to help w/the lines, and little across my T-zone to help combat the oily parts. I have not had any break-outs on my face since I started using this. Actually, my face is less oily overall.
I'm going to start mixing a few drops with my regular body lotion to give it a kick for the winter. I will repurchase and I encourage anyone using EVOO to try Grapeseed oil. 5 lippies and I'm never going back to EVOO.

on 10/18/2010 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have been using organic grapeseed oil (apparently cosmetic grade) from German brand Primavera for a year now. My skin is dry and sensitive and this is the only thing that heals the occasional hormonal breakout or skin irritation super fast. If my skin is irritated I apply a little bit of this on cleansed, slightly damp skin and simply leave on overnight. In the morning blemishes and breakouts are always substantially soothed and reduced.

I also use this now and then as a cleansing oil in my rotation of skincare oils and products. It's not moisturising enough for my dry skin to use as an everyday moisturiser, but due to its wonderful soothing properties this has become a staple product in my skincare arsenal.

on 1/20/2010 6:18:00 PM

I love grape seed oil because it is lighter than evoo. I use it along with castor oil for my ocm. It makes a wonderful after shower or bath moisturizer while your skin is still damp. It seems to absorb much faster. I have not tried using it on my face as a moisturizer as I use jojoba oil and it works well for me. I keep a pump bottle by my sink with grape seed oil and a little essential oil to moisturize my hands during the day. One more little bonus is this versatile oil makes an inexpensive personal massage oil. I bought some cosmetic grade essential oil (brown sugar flavor ) and added a few drops as well as a tiny bit of stevia to the grape seed oil..fun stuff!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products