Grapeseed Oil

4.3

grapeseed oil!

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I started using grapeseed oil after seeing the reviews on here. My skin was really bad, I was breaking out all over the place and hated the fact that I couldn't go anywhere without foundation - in short my face was a disaster.

I was a bit apprehensive about putting oil on my already oily, acne-prone skin, but with nothing to lose I gave it a go. The thing to understand with this is that it is not an overnight miracle - it takes time and consistency in order for it to work. I've used it for about 2 months now, and although my skin didn't become amazing overnight, it certainly helped to clear up my skin and keep it relatively clear - grapeseed oil is slightly astringent which is great for oily skin and prevents pores from becoming clogged and thus helps to prevent breakouts. It also contains antioxidants, which protect against the signs of ageing, and is a source of vitamin E, which helps to heal acne scars.

I usually mix some grapeseed oil in with my moisturizer or apply it straight using a cotton pad every night - by morning it has completely soaked into my skin, and it is even less oily than if I don't put anything on my skin! I recently went away for two weeks, and didn't take my grapeseed oil because it's a bit messy and impractical when traveling - i regretted it SO much, my face broke out like crazy with cystic acne. Using it consistently, at least a couple times a week can really help to clear the skin and prevent breakouts. My skin is not completely clear of imperfections, but there is such a noticeable difference from what it was a couple months ago - I would really recommend giving this a go!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been using Now Foods brand grapeseed oil for about 2 months now. I use it all over my face (even eyelids) and anywhere else that needs mosturizing. I love it! I have oily, acne prone skin but this oil does not break me out and does not make me oilier... In fact, I think my face is LESS oily. I have not had any major pimples since I started using this (I had a few cysts before I started)... Just the usual little zits I get here and there during the month (hormonal, I think). My purplish/red acne scars are very slowly but surely fading away. Skin looks and feels really nice. I like the light sheen it gives. I also don't have the red and irritated outer corners of my eyes anymore. It has definitely exceeded my expectations and I won't ever go back to using lotions!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Background:

I, like most people with combination & acne-prone/sensitive skin, was very hesitant to try ANY oil on my face what-so-ever. After being bombarded by cosmetologists, my doctor and basically any online advice column that oil-free products are vital to treating acne and oily skin, I steered clear of any that listed oil as an ingredient. As a result, I developed extremely dehydrated skin to a degree that I imagine would resemble a patient on Accutane...flaking every time I applied or took my makeup off. Lo and behold, drying out my skin trying to alleviate my dripping oily face only exasperated the problem which of course, led to more breakouts.

Fast forward; after reading about how several oils can actually be beneficial for acne-prone skin, I opted to try Grapeseed oil, reluctantly still. I had some clogged pores on my jaw line and the following day after applying the oil, the plugs just fell out. I then tried it on my forehead, which also...after a day or two became completely unplugged. It's also VERY VERY anti-inflammatory-more so than anything I ever tried before-and full of antioxidants. The first two weeks I loved it so much, I think I applied too much. My makeup began pooling under this stuff as it wasn't soaking in well enough and I also started experiencing dry skin again. Turns out Grapeseed oil is a dry oil. As such, use it sparingly and use it as a spot treatment/blend with your daily moisturizer for unaffected areas.

This oil definitely made me less terrified of using oils on my face. I think I may try jojoba oil to use as a moisturizing component in addition to the Grapeseed oil next to help reduce the drying/astringent nature of the Grapeseed oil.

I guess the point I am trying to make is...anyone who suffers from oily/acne-prone skin...STOP using products that are marketed for oily skin and even acne prone skin. Chances are, these solutions contains alcohol or some kind of sulfate that cuts through oil and leaves your face feeling tight and stripped. Dissolve oil with oil!!

I need this oil. NEED it. I started using this oil from big lots, didn't say it was organic, just regular grape seed cooking oil. My hormonal, dry, cystic adult acne skin looked more amazing then it ever had. Grape seed oil cleared my acne and made my skin look young and glowy. I even left it on over night and it would help even more with my acne. Amazing. Then I ran and started experimenting with other oils and ww3 happened on my skin. It was horrible. I even tried going back to drugstore cleansers (yuck) but then I finally bought grape seed oil again and in just two days my skin is way clearer, pores smaller. less irritated and just looks more normal and feels normal. I couldn't believe how much of a different it made. This time I bought an expeller pressed oil from sprouts, and I can tell a difference between the first one that I bought. Definitely opt for the most natural that you can get. I also love grape seed oil because I don't have to spend 10 minutes trying to get all of the oil off of my face cause it doesn't clog my pores. And i think it just feels lighter then other oilsI love love love this oil. I also use it day and night as a eye moisturizer. Maybe difference in my wrinkles and eye bags. Oh grape seed oil, I will never leave you again.

I have this in unlisted brand , in the form of cooking oil. I read about the benefits of grapeseed oil somewhere some time ago,so when I saw this grapeseed oil in the food section, I thought 'What the heck, let's give it a try'; if it won't work for my face, it'll do good in the salad bowl, so to speak.

At first I really don't know where to put oil-time in my beauty regime, but *lightbulb* 'Cleansing oil!'. So I use this kitchen-y cooking oil as eye makeup cleansing oil. It works perfectly. Then one lazy day I use some drops of this oil and massage it onto my face, and have a warm&wet washcloth to cover my greasy face; let it cool then wipe the leftover oil with clean, warm & wet washcloth.
been suffering from cystic acne, white heads, black heads, milia, hormone acnes during PMS, you name it, even to my late 20-s and until now (i'm 30 btw); i never thought an OIL will put my skin into this state.It never gives me breaks out, just slight shiny look on my forehead -which the solution is a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar + a teaspoon of water; wipe it on and it's done. smooth and supple skin all day without any shine, clogged pore, or whatever my problem were.

I use it twice a day, in the morning before day regime and night before the night regime. and so long bottled-manufactured-commercials-cleansers, i've found the love of my life!

will I buy it again?why NOT?it's dirt cheap, and it works!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Grapeseed was my first foray into using oils as skincare. I bought a small bottle of Merlot brand (which is 100% oil with no additives) from Ulta. This was before I realized that you could purchase the same stuff from the grocery store cooking aisle, so if I were to repurchase I would go that route, as you get more product for less money. I chose Grapeseed because I read that it was a good choice for oily skin. It's mildly astringent and full of antioxidants. It's very lightweight and has almost no scent. I used it as a precleanse/makeup remover and for that it was wonderful. Melted everything off and left my skin smooth and soft. I always followed up with a foaming cleanser. However, it did clog me a bit when I tried using it as a light PM moisturizer, which leads me to believe it may have clogged me further if I didn't use a foaming cleanser after makeup removal. I finished the bottle but am currently testing mineral oil which is even more lightweight, cheaper, and easier (for me) to acquire. But I still think I would repurchase grapeseed and recommend it to those with oily skin.
Edit: The fragrance in baby oil began to irritate me and i didnt feel like paying more to order unscented online so I switched back to grapeseed. I found a huge bottle of Grapeola brand at Wal-Mart in the cooking oil section and it's wonderful. I use it as a makeup remover followed by a foaming cleanser. I discovered that I can use it as a night moisturizer without clogs or breakouts but applying sparingly is key. Just a few drops and my skin is happy and glowing. I have added another lippie bringing this up to five.

Grapeseed oil, how do I love thee? This is great as a makeup remover, as many here have said. It is super gentle, soothing...it's almost like a remover and a treatment in one. My acne prone skin has no issues with it, seems be normalizing my oil production,too.

I was using baby oil for my mega waterproof mascara/sunblock removal (which I still keep on standby), but it was making my eyelashes fall out! This actually seems to be making my eyelashes grow longer, and I don't have the eyelashes coming out with the mascara removal anymore. Even my husband noticed the difference when I had no mascara on...I'm sold.

Of course it's not really packaged the best, I buy organic in bulk in the cooking department, then transfer to a smaller bottle.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First off, I rarely write reviews, but since I rely on them as a consumer, I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I've never had good skin, as a result of teenage to early 20s acne and sun damage. But for the last 10 years or so, it has been calm and breakout free (except for an occasional mild flare). I have noticed that glycolic acid tended to break me out like crazy, but other than that, things were OK. Then in July I started to have a crazy breakout, begininng with small bumps and clogged pores to cystic, painful acne all over my face and neck. It was killing me. I thought maybe one of my cleansers was the culprit and tried a million things (probably spending over 500 dollars on products). Then I began to think it was inflammatory and a reaction to all of the chemicals in the products I was using and I did some research and came up with the crazy idea to use grapeseed oil. I bought a good sized bottle at wholefoods for about 7 dollars (!!!!) It has been over 2 weeks now and I have to say things have calmed down almost completely (still some work to go!). I added a few drops of tea tree oil and I really think this is helping. I use 2 drops on my face and pat it around. It absorbs quickly and leaves a subtle natural glow. And it seems to be moisturizing just enough. Also, at night I put Argan oil around my eyes and I think this is helping with fine lines. I also scrub with baking soda every other day. Im now so obsessed with natural products that I have thrown away all my expensive bottles and my medicine cabinet is being filled with kitchen products!

ADDENDUM: iT WAS NOT QUITE THE MIRACLE i WAS HOPING FOR, IN FACT i SWITCHED TO SUNFLOWER AND THEN SAFFLOWER OIL (WHICH WAS BETTER). ALL IN ALL, THESE OILS ARE NOT MOISTURIZING ENOUGH (ALTHOUGH GREASY)AND I STILL HAD PRETTY BAD BREAKOUTS. I AM TRYING WELEDA SKIN FOOD FOR A WEEK NOW AND THINGS HAVE IMPROVED EVEN MORE!

I love this oil. I use this oil to cleanse my skin after washing off makeup, and afterwards use a little bit to moisturize with a little bit of castor oil on my acne scars. This oil has a comedogenic rating of 2, which means it will not clog your pores. It also helps with oily AND dry skin, it helps balance the natural oils produced on the skin. my acne is clearing up and my skin feels smooth as a baby's bottom. I would and have recommended this to my friends.

I've used grape seed oil for different purposes so thought I'd give a review on all: In short, it's amazing for cooking, great for the body, really individual whether it works as a face treatment.

BODY
I used grape seed oil as a body moisturiser all summer last year, massaging it in straight after showering and it is amazing. Locks in moisture but doesn't feel too thick, and even seems to improve skin tone (although that could just be the amazing glow it gives your legs).
It does leave an oily surface however and while that's great for bare leg days (great healthy sheen stays all day), the oil leaves a smell on clothing over time, and that's the only reason I've given it up. It doesn't matter how many times I have washed the loungewear and tops and leggings I wore when using grape seed oil but the faint smell is there. It seems even clothes that are kept in the same drawer have caught the smell - it's not gross, but it's the smell of oil...

FACE - CLEANSING
As a face cleanser, it's a bit too light for my dry flakey skin - didn't feel make up came off as well as with, say, hempseed oil which is thicker.

FACE - MOISTURISER
As a moisturiser it's great under make-up as it goes on smooth and silky rather than thick and fatty. But here's the thing, grape seed is apparently great for oily skins, but just too drying for dry skin.
In the summer it was nice to use but didn't give me much moisture - it seemed to have lost any hydration halfway through the day.
In the colder months, it actually created dry patches where I normally have just a bit of surface flaking.
Hasn't broken me out (important) but I also haven't used for prolonged periods of time. No difference to clogged pores.

Popular Face Skincare Products