April 20, 2014 | 1674 users online

Skincare - Face - Grapeseed oil

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by madscientist01

I tried the NOW brand grapeseed oil as a facial moisturizer after becoming concerned about the lack of safe skincare products on the market. At first, I loved it! It absorbed sooo well! Before grapeseed oil, I didn't know it was possible for an oil to actually absorb into your skin instead of just sitting on it as an oily layer! It made my skin look really hydrated and glowy....and then within a day or two I started breaking out because of this. Sigh. Oh well.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 4:06:00 AM More reviews by faffner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Although this is listed under moisturizers for face, I am reviewing it as a body moisturizer.

I tried a food grade, organic grapeseed oil from the cooking oil aisle of Whole Foods several years ago and did not have a good experience with it. I have sensitive skin that is very reactive, and evidence suggests that the way an oil is extracted can make a big difference to my skin. Fast forward to this year, when I was at my wits' end trying to find a summer moisturizer that wouldn't break me out in pimples or rashes to use as a base for my powder sunscreen, so I decided to try the NOW Foods brand of grapeseed oil. I have had much better luck with NOW than other brands of shea butter and almond oil, and their grapeseed oil looked very different -- clear and green like Colavita EVOO -- from the yellow grapeseed oil I had purchased initially.

Well, I am very happy with the NOW brand of this oil. I am able to use it as a body moisturizer without pimples or additional rashes, and it even softens the tiny bumps on my arms. As an added, unexpected bonus, it has greatly soothed and somewhat faded the patches of eczema I've had on my legs and back for the past several months. I tried this in my hair and found that it made it a bit frizzy -- I find that many sealants, including silicone based products, can have this effect on my hair, so I'll stick to coconut oil for that. But as a body moisturizer, I can't say enough about this oil and the NOW brand.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2013 7:22:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I was trying to find a moisturizer for my face that wouldn't give me acne or clog my pores. This just wasn't it. It made things worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 12:02:00 AM More reviews by csample

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a very beneficial oil to use for problematic skin. I use it as eye makeup remover, mix it with my toner, and have also used it as a carrier oil in the oil cleansing method. I will also put some on my lips before I go to bed and it seems to help them when they are chapped. One of my favorite moisturizers has grapeseed oil as the 2nd or 3rd ingredient. It is wonderful!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a staple in my bathroom. It moisturizers like nobody's business, and it's brilliant for taking off your eye makeup. Love.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Cheryn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Initially I purchased grapeseed oil as a body moisturiser when mixed with my super thick body cream

I'm from Singapore, so I got it from the skin pharmacy (product quality guaranteed as it is suitable for people with the most sensitive skin) I will recommend that the oil be bought from organic oils store as the oils will be cold pressed and be more...intact? In its natural form. Sth like that

Price wise definitely cheaper than jojoba (which is like twice the amt of $$$)

It comes in a big brown bottle and since I no longer use it for my body (too oily..has since switched to BIO OIL) I decided to use it for removing makeup (AFTER READING REVIEWS HERE) after removing my waterproof eye makeup with lancome's bi-facil (to date still my fav)

The most important part is gently massaging for only a while (too long n the oils will be absorbed as said by my beautician) and then removed by swiping a wet cottonpad across my face for 1 or 2 times depending on light or heavy makeup. This step is the most important as it removes the oiliness as felt compared to just splashing your face with water even if the oil emulsifies. That just gives me the heebie jeebies. Not to mention it will dull your complexion greatly (tried n tested by yours truly)

I might try jojoba when my current grapeseed oil finishes and we shall see which is better!

For the record I have combi/senstive skin

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by Paramore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This stuff is the bomb! In my opinion it's just as effective a makeup remover as olive oil but for roughly half the price, spreads easily and removes even the toughest of waterproof mascaras. I just wash off the residue with my normal cleanser afterwards and I'm good to go.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: LOVE for use in my bath or for a body oil. It's a very moisturizing but light textured oil. Very inexpensive. I buy a big bottle at the grocery store and transfer to small pump bottles I bought.

CONS: For me, personally, clogs my facial pores if used to remove makeup or as a moisturizer.

ALTERNATES: I like jojoba for my combination face skin more.

APPLICATION TIPS: My favorite way to use this is in the bath or all over my legs and arms in shower. I put it on right before I'm about to get out and just rinse it off quickly, so that some will stay on. I can't use it on my back, or I will break out.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2013 6:25:00 AM More reviews by Alis2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

When it comes to skin care I like to keep it simple, so for a while now I have been using different oils on my skin and hair. I have a few favorite oils and this is one of them. Grapeseed oil is quite light, though it may take a few minutes to absorb. I like to use this to remove my makeup/cleanse and moisturise all-over. You only need to apply a few small drops onto a clean and slightly damp face, then massage it in lighly. Apparently this has some astringent properties so it helps to balance your skin and keep it clear. However I also find this quite moisturising. This leaves my skin soft and healthy-looking, plus its affordable and you can use it for a variety of purposes!

I got my grapeseed oil from the cooking oil section. Its light-medium green in color and does not have a noticeable smell. It was affordable and came in a glass bottle. Im not a fan of the packaging, but whatever!

Different oils work for different people, even if two people have the same skin type that doesn't mean that the same products will work for them. A lot of people praise certain oils or products and while I have tried various oils that I liked, I never found something that truly made my skin 'glow' and improved my complexion until now. Grapeseed oil just seems to work for my skin... It moisturisers without clogging my pores and it has made my complexion look a little brighter overall. I guess I'm finally one of those people who has found their HG product!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2013 7:37:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

I use this soley as a makeup remover. I used to olive oil, I would slather it on my face, get a wash cloth and soak under HOT water and then apply to my face, my makeup literally would MELT OFF with a couple swipes. I stopped using olive oil because it sorta irritated my eyes, as I would just rub a little over them and apply hot water and voila! Eye makeup gone! But enter grapeseed oil, I just tried it as a fluke one day applied it over my eyes taking my eye makeup off and yay no irritation! So now I just use this to remove ALL my makeup! NO eye makeup remover, no cotton balls, it doesn't take forever and thats what I love! I actually laughed cause I was washing the Housewives of OC where one of them was taking off her eyemakeup using a cotton ball and eyemakup remover, it looked painful, she kept on tugging and using more eyemakeup remover and more cotton balls! I was like gee, just use oil it will go faster! But yes I remember those days, heavy eyeliner,mascara, eyeshadow with primer and it took FOREVER to get off! Not anymore! Taking off my makeup is a breeze now and I also cleanse my face with Orjene Organics face wash which takes ALL the makeup off after the oil! Anyways, I love grapeseed oil. Haven't tried it as a moisturizer or for my hair, I just like it for my eye makeup. Oh and I buy a big bottle at Trader Joes, last me a good long while.