Calamine Lotion

4.6

Price: $

Price: $

Active Ingredients: Calamine (6.971%) (skin protectant), Zinc Oxide (6.971%) (skin protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Bentonite, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Water (Purified)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my favorite oil-control masque in the summertime! My skin gets out of control oily during warmer weather. If you have a day in where you don't mind slathering your face with pink goo, it's a great masque. DO NOT get the clear kind- it's not the same thing. You want the kind that looks pink like pepto-bismal :) Also, I've found generics to work as well as the regular kind.

Bonus: It's also good for drying out any spots on your face.

I use it about once a week and sometimes as a nightly overnight treatment to help me control my oily but sensitive skin. My oily skin gets even more sensitive in the summer, and slathering a nice layer of this to my freshly cleaned face seems to keep my easily irritated skin nice and calm while it also helps control the extreme oilies. It's been gentle enough for me to leave on overnight, but I often leave it on for just a few hours before rinsing it off. Try leaving it on as a short masque before you try it as an overnight treatment to see if it's compatible with your skin.

TIP: It is really thin in consistency. Be sure to shake the bottle before every use since it separates. I apply it using a clean, damp makeup sponge.

If you have dry skin, then use it as a spot treatment for your acne.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

The best for chicken pox!!

on 1/26/2013 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I tried this on my hormonal acne due to the rave reviews but it did absolutely nothing for me other than giving my partner something to laugh at, as it looks ridiculous spread all over your face.
I had an allergic reaction to sashimi I ate overseas and it did soothe the massive hives all over my chin and neck, but I wouldn't recommend going out in public with it anywhere in sight.
For the price it's definitely one of those items worth keeping in your medicine cabinet for emergencies.

on 1/18/2013 3:47:00 PM

So this is a review for Calamine Lotion as an acne treatment. Why did I not think of this sooner!!! My Mom used this way back in the day when I got the chicken pox and it helped so much with the itchiness. I get cystic acne that is very itchy and painful. I am using this as an all over facial mask before I go to bed at night because I am currently having an acne explosion all over my face!! This is really helping me....the itchiness has calmed down and the swelling is gone!! I have also read that people are using this to help reduce acne scarring....I'm not sure if this will work for scars but it would be awesome if it could. I have been using this for a week so that's not enough time to notice improvement on scarring but if anything changes I will update later :)

on 1/14/2013 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Meh. Doesn't really do anything for me. For mosquito bites it only provides relief for about half an hour. As for pimples, it neither helps nor hinders them. Not sure why everyone's raving about it... ?
I should also add that it has an extremely thin, liquidy consistency & no matter how careful you are, this will get on your carpet or possessions at some point. It's unavoidable. Plus, despite the fact that I clean under my nails thoroughly, this stains the underside & it makes me very self-conscious about showing anyone that side of my hand.

I gave it 3 stars because it has never made any of my problems *worse* but it doesn't do much to make them better either. I think it would be good for people with very mild skin irritations/mosquito bites. I'm allergic to mosquito bites, so it really does nothing to help me. I do remember it being good for chicken pox though, as long as one applied it every hour or so.

on 1/13/2013 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been recommending plain old pink calamine lotion on the skincare board forever as a great mask and spot-treatment for acne, and I've been using it myself just as long. Calamine is the only product I can rely on to soothe and dry out any acne when my rosacea or eczema is flaring. It contains zinc oxide, so beware if that clogs you up. For me, zinc is calming, and reduces the redness in my skin.

If my face is breaking out and oily something fierce, I use a fan brush to spread the thin liquid all over my face after cleansing, then wash it off when dry. It's tough to remove, so a washcloth is required. I also use a q-tip to dab it on zits as an overnight treatment when my face is irritated but also broken-out. It can be overly drying, so I always make sure to moisturize well after using.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This is a necessity in everyone's house because it's great for calming rashes and irritations. It's a must-use for chicken pox.

I've also seen it advertised as a face care product but I would never use if for that. I'm pretty sure it blocked my pores and caused me to break out.

Calamine lotion is a must have in every household.
It is very cooling for skin irritations - sunburnt, bug bites and rashes.

I don't know how I would go through summer without calamine lotion!
When I get sunburnt, this stuff cools you right down.
When you get mosquito bites, this stuff stops the itching.
When you get rashes, like when I had an allergic reaction and I got a rash all over my body, my back, chest, legs, arms, neck, everywhere...
Calamine lotion was a miracle. It cooled my boiling rashes straight away, and stopped the itching.

Perfect skin irritation lotion!

on 9/25/2012 8:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This review is for ICM's Calamol Lotion which can be found in Watsons, Guardian and Unity.

This lotion works very well for flattening stubborn pimples. I drip the lotion onto a cotton swab and dab it onto them twice daily. Then I'll just wait for about 2-3 days for the pimples to die down.

I also use it to keep acne away. I dab a little bit of the lotion all over my face before I go to bed. It has been working very well for me due to my oily skin. However, those with dry skin might find it too drying.

Edit: I no longer dab it all over my face. I found it irritating, although I still use it as spot treatment.

Edit: down to 3 stars. too harsh on my skin to be used in the long run. a good short-term solution though.

on 6/4/2012 2:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Shockingly, this is the best primer I've ever used for my acne-prone, oily face. In the past, I've gone through Mac, Bare Escentuals, ELF, etc. However, nothing quite holds my makeup like calamine. Just yesterday, I was out in the sun all day, playing sports etc. and my makeup stayed put and looked fresh for over 9 hours. I was amazed. I use a small bit all over my face (not under my eyes) and calamine provides such a great base. So excited to have found this little trick. My calamine is from Walgreens, cost about $4 and I couldn't be happier. Hasn't broken me out at all.

Popular Treatments (Face)