Essie Matte About You

4.4

Ehtyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Trimethyl Pentanyl Dissobutyrate, Silica, Adipic Acid/neopnetyl Glycol/trimllitic Anhydride Copolymer, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearalkonum Hectorite, Citric Acid.

Love this. It make my nails very matte. I have very strict nail guidelines at my work, so I love that I can use this on top of more neutral or classic colors to make them more interesting or trendy. It dries quickly and the matte is very flat unless I miss a spot. I would say I normally need to reapply after 4 days, unless it chipped sooner. Washing my hands or getting them wet, soapy, or even lotiony or oily seems to have little effect. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to do patterns on my nails that are part matte, part glossy, for a very subtle look. If you're looking for somewhere that has it in stock, find a friend with a cosmetologist licsense to take you to a beauty supply shop; my local supply has had it in stock at $5.

on 10/8/2012 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

this is a great product and does what it claims. it makes matte any polish. i prefer a small brush for precision especially on my toes. my issues is that i realized i'm not a matte girl. i like shine so i returned this and indicated that i won't buy it again but if you like matte this one is a winner!

on 9/22/2012 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is worlds better than OPI for Sephora mattifying top coat. Out of all the matte finishes I've tried, this one gives the flattest look and resists oil absorption (though I recommend reapplying every couple days). It also dries incredibly fast-- even faster than Essie Good to Go! 30 mins after I applied it and it was barely dentable; after 45 it was completely dry. It applies smoothly.
Matte polishes by nature are easier to scratch when dragged across a surface so you do have to be mindful. Overall, it gives an extremely matte effect and lasts longer than other matter polishes I've tried, so I'd definitely buy this again.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I LOVED this matte finish nail polish. It left my nails with no shine at all, and a perfect matte finish. Exactly what I wanted! I had originally bought the OPI nail envy matte coat ($17 at ULTA), but it still left my nail a tiny bit shiny. This stuff is the best and I got it for only $5 at this little neighborhood nail store today. I love it! Definitely recommend if you want a true matte finish. And it dries ridiculously fast!

on 4/2/2012 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I never jumped on the matte nail look when it first came out. I didnít like the way it dulled polish. Last week while getting a manicure, my manicurist used Matte About You on my nails. I loved the end result. On top of Essieís Sugar Daddy, Matte About You made my nails look clean, well-groomed and healthy looking. I couldnít stop staring at them. It dries so fast, too. After five minutes I was good to go. Love that in a topcoat. I went out and got my own bottle and let me tell you, that was a task itself as it was sold out everywhere. I can see how this one topcoat will double your polish collection since it changes the way a polish looks. Iíve only used it with a sheer polish and my manicure lasted three days before I noticed the finish was getting shiny. I think Iíll blow through this bottle .

on 3/31/2012 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This dries SO QUICKLY! I just don't understand, it is ridiculously fast drying.
As well as that, as the name suggests, it makes your NP matte. One coat and it works great. What else is there to say?
Wish Essie would get wider brushes like OPI though...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

One of my holy grail products!! I had to order this from the US because I can't find it anywhere in the east coast of Canada. It has totally transformed my nail polish collection and doubled my manicure possibilities! Put 1 coat of this on top of any nail polish and you've got a beautiful matte finish. It dries fairly fast and I got it online for $10 (shipping included) so it was a good price for how much use its been getting. I also find its staying power really good - I can get at least week out of my manicures with no chipping or wearing! It goes on smooth and evenly and settles very nicely.

My only two complains are that after a few days I have to reapply because it starts to get a little shiny (I have really oily skin & hair so that could be why it happens) and the brush is really small (takes a lot of strokes to cover my whole nail).

Overall, I think its a great staple for any nail polish collections. I like the matte nail polishes but with this product you can make anything matte. I would highly recommend this product and will definitely repurchase it when I run out.

on 2/5/2012 3:33:00 PM

I absolutely love this!! From the first time I saw a picture on a blog of a matte manicure I was floored, I had never seen anything like it and couldn't understand how they made their polish look so pretty and perfect. Then I read about Essie matte about you, then about 5 minutes later I bought this on amazon. I seriously waited on the edge of my couch for this, when I tried it, it looked amazing! It gives such an even and smooth look. In the same day I tested it over about 50 of my polishes. I just love matte, you can create so much, so many different looks with just this bottle. To anyone who likes matte, you HAVE to try this! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

I love to experiment with my nailpolish so this was a great addition to my collection! I find it works best over glitter polishes!

on 12/20/2011 3:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I received this as a birthday gift, and I quite like this. I know a lot of people aren't a fan of matte finishes but I personally think they look great and Matte About You does a great job of giving that rubberized look. I agree that this starts to look a little more satiny/shiny after a few days so I took off one star but otherwise it's great. I haven't experienced any chipping unlike many of the other reviewers so this is a great product for me!

Top Rated Essie Products