April 20, 2014 | 1313 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 3:21:00 PM More reviews by nicolettetori

I LOVED this matte finish nail polish. It left my nails with no shine at all, and a perfect matte finish. Exactly what I wanted! I had originally bought the OPI nail envy matte coat ($17 at ULTA), but it still left my nail a tiny bit shiny. This stuff is the best and I got it for only $5 at this little neighborhood nail store today. I love it! Definitely recommend if you want a true matte finish. And it dries ridiculously fast!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by Tina68

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I never jumped on the matte nail look when it first came out. I didnít like the way it dulled polish. Last week while getting a manicure, my manicurist used Matte About You on my nails. I loved the end result. On top of Essieís Sugar Daddy, Matte About You made my nails look clean, well-groomed and healthy looking. I couldnít stop staring at them. It dries so fast, too. After five minutes I was good to go. Love that in a topcoat. I went out and got my own bottle and let me tell you, that was a task itself as it was sold out everywhere. I can see how this one topcoat will double your polish collection since it changes the way a polish looks. Iíve only used it with a sheer polish and my manicure lasted three days before I noticed the finish was getting shiny. I think Iíll blow through this bottle .

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 2:41:00 AM More reviews by ckn23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This dries SO QUICKLY! I just don't understand, it is ridiculously fast drying.
As well as that, as the name suggests, it makes your NP matte. One coat and it works great. What else is there to say?
Wish Essie would get wider brushes like OPI though...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2012 9:13:00 PM More reviews by aprilpinkbeauty

One of my holy grail products!! I had to order this from the US because I can't find it anywhere in the east coast of Canada. It has totally transformed my nail polish collection and doubled my manicure possibilities! Put 1 coat of this on top of any nail polish and you've got a beautiful matte finish. It dries fairly fast and I got it online for $10 (shipping included) so it was a good price for how much use its been getting. I also find its staying power really good - I can get at least week out of my manicures with no chipping or wearing! It goes on smooth and evenly and settles very nicely.

My only two complains are that after a few days I have to reapply because it starts to get a little shiny (I have really oily skin & hair so that could be why it happens) and the brush is really small (takes a lot of strokes to cover my whole nail).

Overall, I think its a great staple for any nail polish collections. I like the matte nail polishes but with this product you can make anything matte. I would highly recommend this product and will definitely repurchase it when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2012 3:33:00 PM More reviews by Amykakes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this!! From the first time I saw a picture on a blog of a matte manicure I was floored, I had never seen anything like it and couldn't understand how they made their polish look so pretty and perfect. Then I read about Essie matte about you, then about 5 minutes later I bought this on amazon. I seriously waited on the edge of my couch for this, when I tried it, it looked amazing! It gives such an even and smooth look. In the same day I tested it over about 50 of my polishes. I just love matte, you can create so much, so many different looks with just this bottle. To anyone who likes matte, you HAVE to try this! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2012 8:27:00 PM More reviews by myloveisfreeing

I love to experiment with my nailpolish so this was a great addition to my collection! I find it works best over glitter polishes!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2011 3:55:00 AM More reviews by ximachikenx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this as a birthday gift, and I quite like this. I know a lot of people aren't a fan of matte finishes but I personally think they look great and Matte About You does a great job of giving that rubberized look. I agree that this starts to look a little more satiny/shiny after a few days so I took off one star but otherwise it's great. I haven't experienced any chipping unlike many of the other reviewers so this is a great product for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2011 11:42:00 PM More reviews by hkugler

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

While I'm not a huge fan of Essie nail polishes because of the brush, this top coat provides a good matte look. It took me a couple of times to get the hang of applying it. You have to put a lot on because the brush is so skinny. If the brush was wider this product could be a 5! My mani didn't chip early and seemed to stay matte till I took it off. I need to try and find an OPI version because their brushes are just so much nicer.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Maureen13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The effect that you get with this topcoat is awesome. It looks great and adds so much versatility to your nail polish collection with just this one bottle. It's definitely a cool product and worth the money.

That being said, it chips rather easily. I used this over two coats of OPI polish with OPI Chip Skip and a base coat, and by the end of the first day I noticed cracks. By the end of the second day, there were some pretty serious chips. In addition, they started to lose their "matte-ness" by the end of the first day. I've heard this is typical of all matte polishes - that you should avoid getting your nails wet and using lotion on them (I avoided neither of those things, so I'm not shocked) in order to keep them from getting shiny.

Overall, I think this is a really good product and I will repurchase. You should just be prepared to do macitence when wearing it - probably reapplying a coat of this every day.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by micdeajones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a useful and worthwhile product. I like the versatility it adds to my nail polish options. What I don't like is how when applied over regular polish, my nails appear to have a sheen to them after 2 or 3 days. They only time the matte look remains consistent is when I wear this over one of my matte Zoya polishes. Like others have stated, this looks best on dark nails. Over regular polish it chips rather quickly IMO (for the price) but over Zoya or Chanel it lasts. I'm inclined to attribute that to Zoya and Chanel and not Essie. Since it's the only matte top coat I know of, I will definitely purchase it again.