December 18, 2014 | 1211 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2014 4:10:00 AM More reviews by Claire2612

I love this product. As other reviewers have mentioned it is sheer to medium, but it is buildable and if I want fuller coverage I simply do two layers. I find a makeup brush really effective as well as the Beauty Blender, both give slightly different finishes but beautiful either way. The Beauty Blender sheers it out more but leaves the skin slightly dewy...also I love to wear a liquid highlighter underneath which really enhances the "glow" to the foundation. I also love the colour range. Even though you have to buy a separate pump for the bottle, it is worth it, and I like that you at least have the option even if it costs extra :)
I am onto my second bottle and I would happily repurchase. It is not my HG foundation, but I don't think I would ever not have this in my makeup collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2014 10:37:00 PM More reviews by cadeyduck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The finish of this is amazing, it makes your skin look glowy and perfect. But as the name suggests-it is sheer. If my skin is acting up and the coverage of this isn't enough, I'll put on another foundation and then use this sort of like a highlighter and it makes my skin look actually perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by iest

I have been using this foundation for about 5 months and I can say that I would recommend this to everyone!

If you have oily skin and prefer a matte finish, don't let the name fool you! At first I was a little apprehensive on buying this product because I love having a matte finish. So I first bought the SHEER MATTE foundation by Nars. (I wouldn't recommend that foundation to anyone, it was horrible). So I returned it, and thought, "hey, why not give this one [sheer glow] a go, I've heard great things about it," And I'm so happy I did.
I have combination skin, but its mainly oily. I find that this product holds up and stays in place for the whole day. This foundation keeps me more matte than any other foundation that has promised to keep me "matte and shine free" (all have failed).
I do have some dry patches, and this foundation does an incredible job on not making my dry patches visible and it did not break me out in any way!

The coverage for this foundation is great. What I love about it, is that I can give myself a super light, natural look, while still covering imperfections, and I can give myself high coverage without looking cakey and gross.

This foundation does not come with a pump, but you can buy one for $6 at Nars counters, (my local Sephora doesn't carry pumps in store)

Bottom line is that this foundation is amazing, the price you pay is well worth the quality of the product!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by Ragdoll87

I've been using this product for a week now everyday. I love this foundation. it gives beautiful coverage, the color matches perfectly, and the best part is, it stays. I set this with MAC fix+, and it stays. I can wipe my face, rub it, whatever, and get none on my hand or napkin. it feels nice on my skin, but I will say when you first put it on, it feels like it sets there. kinds pike it takes a second to absorb into your skin. overall I really like this foundation. definitely worth picking up.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2014 8:29:00 PM More reviews by TattooedPrncsz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I recently came back from Jamaica and I needed a new foundation as my regular foundation was a little pale. I was also looking for something new as my foundation (Lacnome Teint Idol 24h) was getting boring to use. I have minor breakouts and some minor ice pick scarring. My major problem is my skin has awfully dark hyperpigmentation from post break outs for my skin tone and it lasts FOREVER. I have normal skin but with the cold weather my skin tends to lean drier then normal. I use shade Santa Fe.

I have been toying with buying this foundation for months and months. The name "sheer glow" was what held me back; If that is your problem do not be afraid of this foundation. It has medium-semi-full coverage depending on application method. I use my damp BB or my Sigma F82. I can't stop raving about this foundation. I have been wearing it awhile and it has caused no break outs so far. The produt itself is very fluid; I am used to thicker foundations so applying this was a little hard for me at first, but I find it blends easily and I generally only need 1 coat. Drying time isn't awfuly long and when it sets it becomes a glowy, sexy, realistic second skin. I top this when it sets with the new NARS Luminous powder foundation and I look amazing. This has great staying power and the glow does not turn oily for me at all during the day.

There is 1 fl oz and I paid $45. Price is never a factor in my reviews because I generally wear higher end cosmetics and I expect to pay for a good product, this foundation delivers for the cost. It comes with the standard NARS packaging, Classic and modern with an expensive feel in a glass jar. There is no pump; you can buy it seperate. I travel often so I prefer no pump. Overall this is a great foundation; I can see this working for many people. If your looking to try your first higher end foundation, I'd start here. It would have saved me a lot of time and money; I have found my new HG liquid foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by makeuplover1994

This was one of my first higher end foundations that I ended up purchasing after hearing all of the hype. I normally don't wear a lot of face makeup since I prefer to let my skin breathe instead of covering it in a lot of foundation on a daily basis.
This is the perfect foundation for my normal-combination skin. I am an NC25 in MAC most of the year and I wear the shade Light 5 - Fiji. In the summer I get up to NC30 and I can still wear this shade, however I do have to use a bit of bronzer in order to make this match to the rest of my body.
This gives medium coverage and has a natural finish which needs to be set with powder if you want this to last all day (or night) without getting shiny. I love this for when I'm going out since it has no flashback due to the lack of SPF.
If you've been thinking about getting this foundation I would highly recommend it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2014 3:46:00 PM More reviews by liz48170

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. While it is HE, it is packaged poorly. I have not tried drugstore foundations to compare but I may give it try as I have yet to find a holy grail HE foundation.

I think the results of your foundation highly depends on how you prep your skin and how much you use (application). I have included a long winded recipe on my "MAGIC FACIAL GLOW CREAM" my own creation dupe of the Famous MUA Charlotte Tilbury cream that is outrageously priced but makes cheap foundation look great.

First, I do not wear foundation daily. I have dry skin that I keep hydrated with my magic GOOP, and often will wear this only on my skin, with a bit of concealer.

When I am going out, night typically, I wear foundation all over my face blending to ears down neck

Now for right now - the PROS for the NARS Sheer Glow outweigh the cons; it is not holy grail so I continue to sample others

I also created my own MAGIC GLOW CREAM (dupe of famous MUA Charlotte Tilbury) to use under this foundation. Without the MAGIC GLOW CREAM it looks dull ....

PROS:
Mount Blanc is a perfect match for my skin tone - a HUGE bonus
NARS Vanilla Concealer are spot on and it stays true to color - a HUGE bonus
Requires no setting powder (I have dry skin and do not want powder)
Dried to a satin Matt finish (no glow without the Magic Cream though)
Spreads lovely with fingers warmed up no brush required (too rough on skin)
Liquid is thin; I like a very thin foundation (NOT SHEER)
Medium coverage; can be built up in problem areas
Doesn't seem to transfer but I do not wear it all the time so don't know longevity
Glides on skin
Looks gorgeous if I use my own GOOP skin prep
DOES NOT DRY OUT MY SKIN if I prep my skin (see below)

CONS
Requires my own GOOP skin prep as do all foundations
Packaging is horrid
Heavy glass bottles looks messy and is heavy
Can't travel with this heavy glass jar
Glass reminds me of drugstore Cover Girl glass container foundations
No pump? They should package like the other HE foundations
Takes longer time to prep my skin for this foundation to prep my skin (READ BELOW)
Using this takes more time than a light BB cream or MAC Face & Body

TO PREP MY SKIN:
I make sure my skin is exfoliated (baking soda if needed - gentle)
I often lightly exfoliate at night - LIGHTLY with baking soda nothing rough

MY MAGIC GLOW (Charlote Tilbury DUPE)
I make my own Magic Face Glow (GOOP) like MUA Charlotte Tilbury
My own Magic Facial Glow (GOOP) MIX recipe is shown below
This is the key to your make up foundation looking good I am sure
I slap it on and let it soak, up to 10 minutes

GOOP MIX Recipe

FOR DRY OR AGING SKIN -
Carrier cream (Cere Ve, Burts Bees, whatever you like will work)
Oils add Aloe Vera Pure, Rose Hip Argan, Jojob
Hyaluronic Acid key to locking moisture to your skin - MUST HAVE
Becca Skin Perfecting Illuminator or other luminizer

FOR OILY SKIN THAT BREAKS OUT (Acne)
Oil Free Carrier Cream
Aloe Vera Pure (this can be used right on your skin to control outbreaks)
Jojoba Oil (this controls sebum and can be used right on your skin to control oil)
Hyaluronic Acid to lock in moisture - if you have oily skin or acne you still needs moisture
Becca Skin Perfecting Illuminator or other luminizer

I take a glop of my cream mixed with oils
I add in a half pump of Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal as I am fair

- Warmer skin may like the gold
- Sallow skin may like the Rose gold
- Dark skin may like the Bonze Color

WHAT INGREDIENTS AND WHERE TO BUY FOR YOUR OWN GOOP:

FACIAL OILS - all oils need to be fresh, good for 6 mo* then I use as a body oil

I buy from reputable retailers of specialty oil on EBAY or ETSY - not in stores as you want FRESH product that has not been so refined and filled with fragrance

*Aloe Vera may last much longer
*Jojoba oil has no expiration date

I buy my face oil from reputable shop on Etsy (sometimes EBAY)

Face Oil must be fresh; good for 6 mo then use remaining oil for body

THE KEY PRODUCT
Hyaluronic Acid

I buy one 32 oz every year from

I also use this right on my face and body after washing while skin is damp, and always mix with body cream

This ingredient is found in HE beauty moisturizing creams - and you can make your own and save a ton of money

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Beccask

This foundation is extremely confusing. My friend who has normal to dry skin recommended this to me, even though I have combination to oily skin. When I first applied this I loved it. More than any foundation I have ever used. More than makeup forever, Laura mercier, urban decay. It made my skin completely flawless. But thought the day. Around my nose and between my eyebrows I literally saw the foundation sliding off. It looked like I had orange liquid on my face. I thought if I just really set it with a powder it should be okay, and that somewhat helps( I use the makeup forever setting powder). I also figured this is probably a lot better for people with dry skin. But I notice that when I have dry flakey spots, usually on the top of my nose or just where I had a previous pimple, it cakes around it. So just remember to exfoliate or moisturize well. The reason j give this a 3 is because it really is the best foundation I have found so far, but I am still on my hunt. Just know that you MUST set this foundation in your oily spots and you must really moisturize your dry spots if you want the full benefit of this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2014 1:24:00 AM More reviews by virelais

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

love love love this foundation
honestly the best foundation i've ever purchased, i have dry to combination skin and sometimes get breakouts, but with this, it keeps me moisturised and doesn't break me out! it's a godsend!
i've seen people comment on it's "runny" consistency but honestly i do not find that to be the case - coming out of the bottle it's quick thick, not in a bad way though. one complaint is that of the bottle itself; it's kinda ridiculous to have to buy an accompanying pump (which i always prefer to use as it's more hygienic and easier to moniter). however i did recently purchase the pump for $4 at my local mecca cosmetica so i'm content.
it is a bit pricey (i paid about $68 here in australia - daylight robbery but that's what happens when you live on the other side of the world) but in my opinion, it's completely worth it. i dont think i'll ever buy another foundation again
i would urge everyone to at least test this out, it gives the most natural coverage but still does a good job of hiding my dark spots etc. all in all my HG foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Jhe9488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Neither sheer nor glowy...but here are my two cents:

Consistency: quite thin and runny, which makes it blend out super easily/quickly

Coverage: medium, definitely covers up my hyperpigmentation, although I think it looks best sheered out with concealer on the problem spots. I use a stippling brush to get lighter coverage. I find that it can definitely look a bit cakey once you've build it up to medium to full.

Finish: not dewy or matte, beautiful natural finish, looks like just natural skin, it has not settled into pores or lines on me with or without a primer. However, it does cling to dry patches so make sure you exfoliate/moisturize ahead of time. I personally don't have oily skin, but it's likely not matte enough if you are oily.

Lasting power: it looks fine at the end of the day, but definitely not something you can put on in the morning and then party all night in. On my skin (normal to dry), I find that powdering makes no difference. I haven't had any issues with it oxidizing.

Color selection: quite good, 17 colors ranging from very fair to quite dark in a variety of undertones, I'm NC 20-25 and Ceylan is perfect for me in the winter, and works fine if I use a darker powder in the summer

Packaging: people gripe about the lack of pump, but it honestly doesn't bother me so much. I just pour slowly onto the back of my hand. I think the square glass bottle with the black top in the classic Nars rubbery black is quite chic. If you really want a pump, Nars does sell them for I think $6.

Price: $45, steep but not crazy. I find that I end up using less of this for the same coverage as my other loved foundations (Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, YSL Teint Touch Eclat) so the bottle lasts longer.

Bottom line: gorgeous foundation for natural looking skin for those with normal skin without any major issues (which thankfully is me most of the time). I can't see this working on oily or dry skins or for those we need good coverage.