De La Cruz 10% Sulfur Ointment

Price: $

10% sulfur and a mix of polyethylene glycols

on 5/21/2013 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

about me - cystic acne prone skin.
i bought this on recommendation from the skin care board. it wasn't too expensive and i was desperate to try something effective. i've tried icing and advil-ing to stop new cysts, which did nothing for me. i've also used other topicals eg BP, differin which weren't doing the trick for me. this ointment cleared up deep cysts on my cheeks i had for months and now prevents new ones from forming. if i don't monitor enough and a cyst forms before i can paste this on, using it really helps heal and dry it up much quicker than on its own. be careful not to leave on for very long - start with just 10 minutes in the beginning - as this is very drying on skin. also do not slather everywhere like a mask or in areas where you don't have pimples because you'll do more damage than good. i will repurchase forever or unless this stops working ( which i pray it wont)

on 3/5/2013 2:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I bought this product due to all the great reviews and recs from skincare board, but this product did nothing for me. I have normal-combo skin with hormonal acne and clogged pores. I get an occasional pimple or zit a few times a month. I've used the sulfur on these occasional pimples & zits and it literally sits there and does not make it better or worse. I've left it overnight and still nothing. If I use it for a few nights consecutively, it dries out the skin, but the pimple or zit will still be there as a bump. Maybe my skin doesn't react to sulfur.

Topicals don't do anything for hormonal acne, so I am not writing anything on how this product treats such acne.

on 3/1/2013 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

Works amazingly well for those terrible deep pimples that refuse to surface or go away on their own. I put this on my face for just five minutes and see an improvement in terms of inflammation and severity of acne when I wash it off. Very effective when used as a back and shoulder mask. Can be drying when left on too long, so be mindful and start slowly. Can't beat the price, about $5 for a jar.

on 2/28/2013 12:09:00 AM

I searched everywhere for this product and finally found it at a local Walmart. I was very skeptical when first using this because the packaging seemed foreign to me and the color/texture was different from anything else I used. I ended up using it for only a few weeks because I did not see a difference in my skin. When applying the product, the formula seemed a little bit thick and pasty like (similar to a glue). I was afraid of it clogging my pores and eventually stopped routinely using it. Good luck to those who like it tho, I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it- especially because it has received really great reviews.

Not a miracle worker, but definitely "no worse" than any other MUA top-rated blemish treatment I've tried (including Persagel 10%, Clean & Clear Popped Pimple, Bye Bye Blemish, Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion, and Origins Spot Remover).

Origins and Persagel, for example, work, but they also redden and dry your skin, thus often neutralizing whatever positive cosmetic results they offer. I feel that De La Cruz works with few adverse effects.

It's very difficult to find, including in NYC and Miami (where there is no shortage of ethnic markets), so I would recommend ordering it online.

on 2/18/2013 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

***Why I want the product?***
I have searched for a lot of spot treatments over the years to see which actually does the job it is meant to, does not cost the earth and something that does not irritate my skin.
Previous I have had treatments that people raved about but did nothing for me or the treatments irritated my skin that much I was left in a red blotchy mess.

I have heard of sulfur treatments before in especially in soaps. While browsing a makeup forum everyone there recommended a product called Sulfur Ointment 10%, which I had never heard of before but it seems everyone recommended this treatment and apparently it was cheap, well for them.

***About the product***
The reason I had not heard of this brand of treatment before is because it is an American brand and unfortunately it can be difficult for you to get your hands on it in the UK so have to get it shipped in, in the end I got it from a seller on eBay.

De La Cruz say their product helps to dry out spots and blackheads, helps to keep new spots from forming and oil free. There are no preservatives, artificial colours or fragrances either in this product.

***About sulfur***
Sulfur is actually one of the oldest acne treatments around today, in ancient times sulfur was used to treat arrange of skin conditions such as dermatitis, dandruff and rosacea.

When applied topically, sulfur causes the skin to dry and peel. Despite how this sounds, it is actually a good thing for your skin if you have acne. Sulfur helps reduce skin oiliness, and prevents pore blockages from forming.

***What are the ingredients in this product?***
Sulfur, USP - 10% Acne Medication
Inactive Ingredients
Polyethylene Glycol

~ Sulfur is apparently said to be an antistatic on some reports and
~ Polyethylene Glycol is used as a solvent

***What does the product look and feel like?***
Unscrewing the white lid I am greeted with shiny yellow substance that looks like a gel. As it is sulfur the smell is not pleasant for some people and this can put others off alone.

Dipping my finger into the ointment it does feel like a sticky, gel that is almost waxy. Personally I do not think the smell is too strong so it doesn't bother me. Applying the ointment to a spot is easy; simply spread a thin layer on the affected area and leave.

***How do you use it?***
Instructions say cleanse the skin before use and cover the affected area with a light layer of sulfur, leave on for 10 minutes and remove, simple.

***Did I notice a difference?***
I have to be honest and say this product is not a miracle worker, it does not work as fast as I would like it to (overnight) but it does do the job well of drying the spot so it can heal and clear quicker.

If you have sensitive skin like me I would recommended you following the instructions to the letter and use it once or twice a day for 10 minutes at a time as 10% sulfur as actually quite strong, where as soaps are usually around the 3%/5% mark. However, for me I do not always follow the instructions especially if I have troublesome spots that are getting me down. I had some spots on my upper cheek area that did not want to move for love or money, I had these for a week or so, so I took to 10% sulfur for a few days and instead of the usual 10 minutes I left it on for 20 minutes a time, twice a day. Third day that area was beginning to get dry but very red to the point where it hurt, although the spots cleared I was now left with a very red patch where the sulfur touched my skin. This lasted for around two days to heal. I have since found more sensitive areas of my face such as my cheeks I can use once a day for 10 minutes and other areas I can leave on 5 minutes more extra if needed before I have to wash off.

When I did use it properly I found it to work well, not the miracle worker I hoped for but quicker than previous spot treatments I used in the past and those I left on all night and day sometimes.

I have applied it to my nose to see if it makes a difference on blackheads and unfortunately for me this product does nothing, I find it works better on spots. I use my trusted salicylic acid for that job.

***Price and availability***
I found a seller on eBay at a buy it now price of $11.99 which works out as 7.42 and postage of $9.99, 6.18. I know I said it was cheap but for how long this treatment lasts it actually works out to be a very cheap product.
There are also other sites you can purchase from that may be cheaper.

***What I think about it/do I like it?***
For how much product you get, how much you need to apply, how long the pot lasts I think it is actually very well worth the money and more importantly how well it works is worth the shipping costs. I am half way down my pot and I would say I have had it for eight months, eventually when I run out I will be repurchasing.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

OMG my miracle ointment!!! I love this stuff!! I've been using it for about a week and it has worked wonders!!! I've even been using it on a cystic pustule and it has shrunk substantially. It dries up active acne remarkably fast. I kept seeing this at Walmart but I never got it because I just didn't know how effective it would be but for $3 and some change I'm glad I went ahead and took the chance. The only con is the smell, but that doesn't really bother me because I put it on at night and I'm the only one that has to deal with it. I will repurchase this stuff for life!!!

on 1/17/2013 4:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this!! I've been using this a little over a week and all my problem areas are basically gone! It is drying, but nothing too severe. So happy I found this! Will buy & buy again!

on 1/14/2013 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this every night for two weeks and I am extremely happy with it. I want to go and buy a bunch of it and hoard it all, that's how good it is! Any active acne I had is healing. It doesn't dry out the rest of my skin but my spots do get dry and flaky. It does stink even after I wash it off but isn't that big of a deal. The rest of my skin is very soft and seems to be smoothing out texture wise. I LOVE the fact that it has only two ingredients and that one of them is all natural and has been used for thousands of years to help get rid of acne. ^_^

on 12/31/2012 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is a great addition to my acne regimen, but I would not rely on it alone. I use it as a spot treatment every time I pop a pimple, let it sit for ten minutes, then wash my face with my cleanser and continue on with the best acne product around..Benzoyl Peroxide.
Please check out Acne.org if you are struggling with acne! You will not be disappointed.
But this stuff does a great job of treating and drying pimples :)
Make sure to moisturize!