October 25, 2014 | 1710 users online

Other - Zinc

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2012 12:04:00 PM More reviews by csjune

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Honestly, who knew?

I went off birth control in January of this year, things were fine until two months later when my jawline began breaking out in horrible acne and I began to get tiny bumps all over my forehead. Now I've never had perfect skin (this is partly my skin-picking fault) but this was something I've NEVER had before in my life. I'm 23, never suffered from jawline acne (those horrible kind under the skin). So after my confidence kept taking huge hits and my period refused to regulate (this is how I knew my acne was HORMONAL) I decided to give zinc a try... that brings me to my question

Who knew this stuff was so amazing!?!?!

I have been taking OptiZinc brand (purchased from Amazon) for over 2 months now and my jawline hormonal acne has completely gone away (or like 95%). I just take one a day. Its actually eradicated my acid reflux I experience after having an alcoholic beverage too. Bonus!!

I can't recommend this stuff enough to women who think their acne is caused by hormonal imbalances. Give it at least one month, okay? I noticed dramatic results within 2 weeks.

Again, I use the OptiZinc brand because it contains copper, which taking zinc will deplete. I only take one pill a day @ 30mgs of zinc monomethionine and 300mg of copper sebacate.

Good luck everyone!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 8:51:00 PM More reviews by phero90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am 22 years old and have been suffering acnes for 10 years. I had all kinds of pimples (white, black head, small, big and my skin was extremely oily and sensitive). In 2009, I started my first accutane treatment and cleared about 90% of my acnes. Addition to the side effects, after 2 years, my skin started breaking out (at modest level, before I had severe acnes). I planned to go for the second accutane about 2 months ago. Fortunately, I came across Zinc while searching around for more acnes therapies. At that time I was taking vitamin A on daily basis but had no luck. I tried Zinc and guess what? It was amazing. After 1 month, my skin was almost clear (except for some period acne which is inevitable). And of course there was no side effect. Now I am trying to cool down my redness and erase my post acnes dark spots. Hopefully, Zinc will work on those who are reading my review as well as I did on my skin

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2012 2:51:00 AM More reviews by Nirita

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My skin has never looked better. Honestly, my pores have shrunken greatly, no other product has been able to achieve this. I've been taking Zinc for about 3 weeks, I got quite discouraged in the beginning but I realized that the other products I was using also contributed to the worsening of my acne. So far, Zinc has given me a really nice glow, more even toned skin, my pimples and bumps are reduced and is slowly fading away dark patches. I plan to stop at 4 weeks due to the fact that excessive Zinc may be detrimental. However, I will probably just take it once a week, or twice a week, depending on how much more improvement my acne needs. So glad its apart of my skin regimen now :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2012 6:44:00 PM More reviews by quixoticduck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Awesome. I originally tried taking zinc naturally by eating loads of pumpkin seeds. Worked quite well but I couldn't eat enough regularly and got sick of them. I don't like seafood or other zinc rich foods.

My skin has got loads better, only once spot since taking it and this wasn't as bad. Eat with food and its fine. I saw results almost instantly. Even pores on nose are smaller. Yay. I bought two lots of pills. They both say they're 15mg, they're from Sainsbury's and Asda's.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2012 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Nadelaine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used zinc for the last few months. I've read a lot of reports of people saying that they have gotten clear in just a few days. Even though I don't say that their statements aren't true, it has not worked for me that way. I saw results after a few weeks of using zinc. As far as I've been told, it will take new spots a month before they come up. So it is natural for zinc not to clear you in just a few days, as any acne treatment for that matter.

I did try taking zinc before and usually I quit after a week or so, not seeing results and the zinc making me nauseous. For all those people that are experiencing the same, hang in there for just a few more weeks. My acne has gotten a whole lot better, especially on my back. I've noticed that the oiliness in my face is also greatly reduced. It has given me other benefits as well, helping my eczema and dandruff, and I've noticed an increased libido.

The one thing I don't like about zinc is that is makes me nauseous every time, even a little bit if I take it with food. But for me, the benefits outweigh the nausea.

I began taking 60 mg of Now Foods L-Optizinc (30 mg in the morning and 30mg in the evening), and after a few weeks I've lowered the dose to 30 mg, which is fine. I've tried other types of zinc in the past but they didn't seem to work as well as the Optizinc one. The cheapest I've found so far is on iHerb, the code UPU014 gives you a 5 dollar discount.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2012 1:34:00 PM More reviews by brittanymarkle

The reason for this review is that I want to make sure people are doing their research when it comes to zinc dosing for acne. It's true that overdosing on zinc is detrimental, but you would need to be taking more than 100mg of ELEMENTAL Zinc per day for it to be a health risk.

There is a huge difference between the milligrams of 'zinc' in a supplement and the milligrams of 'elemental zinc' in that supplement. Zinc gluconate, for example, has 14% elemental zinc per weight of zinc gluconate. In other words, a 50mg tablet of Zinc gluconate contains only 7 mg of elemental zinc. The minimum recommended dose for effective acne treatment is 30mg of elemental zinc per day, therefore 200 mg of Zinc gluconate would be well within the safe dosage of elemental zinc - and should be effective for acne treatment.

Every type of zinc supplement has a different percentage of elemental zinc so pleeeease do your research - and don't just start taking 200 mg of zinc gluconate because I said so. Look for scientific sources and studies to back this up and/or ask your doctor. Start by looking up Zinc Dosing on WebMD.com - it specifically addresses Zinc for acne.

I hope this helps!

29 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2011 10:36:00 PM More reviews by sunbonnet74

These gentle 30 mg zinc tablets: "Can be taken anytime, even on an empty stomach."

My 17-year old son has suffered from acne for 3 years. We've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours on visits to a dermatologist and ordering many different prescriptions (including several antibiotics and topical treatments.)

My son's been taking organic zinc food complex tablets by New Chapter for one week. His medium-to-severe acne is much reduced after only one week!! He's very happy, and he went to his school's homecoming football game tonight (and he has a date to the dance tomorrow, his first date ever!) These are the first school events he's felt confident enough to attend for several years. Words cannot describe how pleased I am that his face is finally clearing up!

The New Chapter zinc capsules don't bother his digestive system. He takes one tablet in the am and one in the pm. He also takes a multivitamin for teen boys, which gives him a total of 75mg zinc each day. (My research says that up to 100mg/day is OK, if you insure other key nutrients are taken with the zinc.) He'll cut down on the zinc after his acne clears. Looking forward to continued success!

This description is from Amazon:

Zinc Food Complex™ Nature’s Skin and Immune Mineral in its Most Active Form* Supports immune function and energy production* Promotes skin resilience and repair* Gentle and easy on the stomach Zinc Food Complex™ delivers easily digested and highly active probiotic zinc as well as 10 free-radical scavenging and immune-supportive herbs and mushrooms cultured for maximum effectiveness. Herbs like astragalus and elderberry protect while energizing herbals schizandra and maca provide key health benefits that support and sustain.* The addition of supercritical ginger and turmeric extracts maximizes bioavailability and efficacy.* Your health, and the health of those you love, are precious and deserve the finest nutritional support. We welcome you to the living world of New Chapter’s Probiotic Nutrients™—a vital organic choice for the fullest potential of life. Suggested Use One tablet daily. Can be taken anytime, even on an empty stomach. Supplement Facts Probiotic Nutrients %DV Zinc *† 30 mg 200% Organic Cultured Herbal Extracts (Proprietary Blend) %DV LifeShield® Response † [Schizandra (berry)‡, Maca (root)‡, Artichoke (leaf)‡, Fenugreek (seed)‡] 33 mg • Immune Support Response † [Astragalus (root)‡, Elderberry (berry)‡, Shiitake (mushroom)‡, Cordyceps (mushroom)‡, Reishi (mushroom)‡, Maitake (mushroom)‡] 33 mg • Superfoods and Spices (Proprietary Blend) %DV Organic Spinach (leaf) 50 mg • Organic Blueberry (fruit) 31 mg • Ginger (rhizome) 3.6 mg hydroethanolic extract, 0.9 mg organic supercritical extract 4.5 mg • Turmeric (rhizome) 3.6 mg post-supercritical hydroethanolic extract, 0.9 mg supercritical extract 4.5 mg • • Daily Value not established *

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2010 9:36:00 PM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Without a doubt, this works. I did some research prior to buying a zinc supplement and read that it's important for wound healing and immune system maintenance. I can see an enormous difference in the clarity and tone of my skin since I started taking this. I started out taking this every day for 2 weeks (50mg - chelated zinc), but have now cut back, and take it every 4 days, or whenever I remember. I won't say that my skin is perfect, and I also don't want to overdose on this, so I am a bit careful with taking supplements.

Either way, it's something to try that works!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2010 5:01:00 PM More reviews by mualibertad

If you have struggled to manage acne, you should try zinc. I've had acne my whole adult life and this is the product that has given me clear skin and ended my reliance on products such a Neutrogena On-the-Spot. This decreases oiliness, GREATLY reduces blackhead, and has totally eliminated my acne. I take 50 mg every night after dinner. I started at the beginning of this and saw results within a couple of, but dramatic results were evident after 30 days. This is amazing and I will never be without it.I know that it works because I got complacent and stopped taking it in the last month, and I saw a decline in my skin within a couple of weeks. (I first read about zinc on acne.org)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2010 1:59:00 AM More reviews by alexis214

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been taking zinc (50mg) everyday for about a week now and it has given me great results so far. My skin is less oily(this really amazed me since my skin gets oily really fast) and i get less breakouts. It also seems to dry out pimples faster.