Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation spf 15

3.4

ACTIVE Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 15% and Zinc Oxide 5% INACTIVE ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 1/27/2015 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff made me break out like crazy! I have had no issues with the original.I purchased because I love the original but want more coverage when I go with a bold lip. Bright lips and redness can look kind of not put together/ in ill-taste. I'd love a full coverage option but the matte and liquid foundations broke me out badly.

on 1/2/2015 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This is my absolute most favorite make-up product EVER! I've used this mineral foundation for many, many years now and I will probably use this product for the rest of my life. It's so lightweight, long wearing and buildable coverage. I love that there is such a wide range of shades and also accounts for your undertones so you can easily find one that will match your skin. I should be a Medium Biege, but because it does oxidize, I have to go a shade lighter, otherwise I look like I just came back from a nice vacation in the sun. I use this almost every day and it lasts me all year! I'm surprised I don't have to buy this more often.

I have acne-prone skin and this doesn't break me out not does it dry out my skin or around my acne. I wouldn't say this gives a "flawless coverage" as it states, but it does reduce the redness. When I didn't have acne and just some acne scarring, it gave me even skin-tone and a natural-no-make-up look. But right now, I am battling acne, so if I wanted full coverage I need to use a concealer over my blemishes and then apply the bareMinerals. For application, I use either the bareMinerals Full Flawless Face Brush or the flat e.l.f Studio powder brush, and then I build the product over my acne with a BeautyBlender. I highly recommend any one who likes the no-make look and easy application.

I have been using this matte foundation for years and am always very happy. The formula is definitely not as good as when they first came out, but I feel overall this is a great staple to have in your makeup kit. This powder foundation works better as a setting powder or light coverage if you are looking for something to polish yourself up quick and easy. I would not recommend for heavy coverage, and the matte formula is definitely better suited to oily/combo skin. For the amount vs. price, I feel like it's worth it because I mostly use it to set my liquid foundation, which it does very nicely, so I use it sparingly. I also have never had a problem with the formula breaking me out.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I wore the original version for several weeks but exchanged it for this because I couldn't handle the shimmer (it highlighted my large pores and got greasy after about 45 min).

The original version does have a nice "depth" to it, however, which I only appreciated once I bought the matte which in my opinion is flat and lifeless. I found it washed out any natural radiance I had in my skin.

Unlike with the original, I used tons more product to create just a sheer layer and therefore ended up looking cakey no matter what. In terms of oil control it does not compare to matte liquid foundations I've tried. It outlasts the original formula but not much. Some matte foundations lend a dewey look to the skin as you approach blotting time so you still look okay. I felt with this foundation I already looked ashy and flat so once oil pushed through, my face looked greasy and sickly. It exaggerated wrinkles and fine lines that are hardly visible on my freshly washed face.

So for the pros:

- I like that they have a wide range of shades and think most people can find one that works for them. Tip: if you're cool-yellow toned olive like me (I'm NC20 and wore Light), you might be able to pull off the warm shades. If you try a shade and it's looking a little peachy, go a shade lighter and it could work. I noticed though, that very pale people may struggle; Light was a tad too dark for me and it's only one up from the palest shade.

- I think it works very well for spot concealing, even under eye, when applied with a small concealer brush.

I should include that I have oily skin with very large pores so maybe it's just not right for me at all. I feel like people with a very even surfaced skin and only redness and slight discoloration might enjoy the flat powdery-ness as a clean, finished look. I like the concept of BareEscentuals and how they style, advertise and organize their products in general.. but sadly it's not the brand for me.

Good luck to anyone trying it! Hope it works for you!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I got a sample of this stuff awhile back. I used it up thought I didnt like it then rediscoved it as a setting powder to a bb cream I'm using. I fell in love I don't know why I thought I didnt like this stuff because it's amazing. As a setting powder over bb cream I get a full coverage look that can quickly become cakey if I'm not careful. I purchased the full size and us it as a standalone foundation over concealer and it's perfect. It's so weird because it looks like nothing like just my skin but not ... Because obviously my skin looks better with it on. I'm really happy with it.

on 10/28/2014 7:56:00 PM

I have been using this product for months now. I have an oily t-zone and drier cheeks and am prone to break outs on my cheeks and around my mouth.
I purchased this foundation in replacement of my more expensive MAC Studio Fix Powder hoping it would give me the same coverage but in a more gentle mineral formula and at a cheaper price.
The coverage of this is nothing compared to the MAC but its not too bad. With my MAC once applied I never had to further conceal, but with this one I still have spots come through. Which is not a big deal I just get a smaller denser brush and buff over those spots, but again the MAC was a one sweep and covered type deal.
I don't mind the 'loose' powder consistency and the design of the packaging is very helpful so you aren't getting powder everywhere.
I did find that in my t-zone where I get oily, when the oil started I could feel the powder on my face which was a little uncomfortable, and that the oil coming through was a little more obvious compared to when using other mineral powder foundations.

I don't mind blotting my face during the day so that part of this product was not a real huge issue for me. I think its a beautiful foundation which is why I gave it this rating, the only reason I would not buy again was because I made a purchase looking for COVERAGE and this didn't quite live up to it for me regardless of how I applied it.

on 10/19/2014 3:06:00 PM

Bad Bad Bad for my acne prone skin
Breakouts and clogged pores after only 2 uses

on 10/11/2014 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this foundation. I have tried so many foundations. I find that liquid foundations sink into my pores really badly and go super shiny so I opt for powder foundations. I have really oily skin so I like to get a matte powder. I have tried the following foundations: laura mercier (bad and crazy expensive)/mac studio fix powder / lancome matt / givenchy matte / estee lauder double wear powder / marks and spencer mineral powder (very bad!!) The lancome, givenchy and estee lauder powders were all lovely powder foundations but the lightest shade in each were just too dark for me. Mac studio fix nc15 powder was ok but the nc15 shade was not right on me either. I also tried the ready powder from bare minerals - they have lighter shades available which is good but the powder itself for me was really bad, it cracked and dried on my face and was really drying and patchy even though I have oily skin! I have tried lily lolo mineral powder too, I got the warm peach shade which is a great shade on me but I think the bare minerals matte is better for coverage, quality and it stays on longer.
I first started off with the BM matte powder in c10 fair shade which I loved everything about except the color which was just too dark on me. I was about to give up when the SA suggested I try the w10 shade golden fair. Turns out it was much better than the fair color on me and I have more of a yellow undertone. The w10 is still slightly too dark for my pale skin but Im willing to put up with this as i like everything else about the product and its still a good color on me. I use BM over paulas choice spf 30 wrinkle defense and its perfect. I use a little bit of the BM veil spf 25 finishing powder over that. I used to use a garnier primer but the whole thing looks better without a primer for me.So spf 30 moisturiser, foundation and veil and I'm good to go! I have spent a fortune on moisturisers and makeup and have finally found the combo I love!

ps. Im docking one mark as the lightest yellow based shade (w10) is a tad too dark for me.

on 10/11/2014 5:02:00 PM

pardon my language but...

HELL TO THE NO.

i asked the sales lady if this powder foundation would be suited to my combination, sensitive skin. she sung the praises of it, claiming authoritatively that, among other things, this would be the "perfect solution for the look of a liquid foundation without the mess and breakouts." thank god for samples, because oh how wrong she was...

my skin is not oily. this powder exaggerated every single pore and line on my face. the area under my eyes in particular looked like jagged granite. for real this stuff made me look 80 years old AND orange (i used the *lightest* shade.) this coming from a 34 year old that still gets IDed to get in to nightclubs. this dried out my skin horribly despite using moisturiser, created cystic acne in a matter of *hours*, and oxidised just as quickly. it transferred on to everything it came in contact with.

in short, i would only think this product might be suited to people with very oily skin and an already completely flawless facial surface. absolutely wouldn't suggest using it under or around your eyes at all regardless of age or skin type, unless of course you want to accelerate the ageing process in your eye area by virtue of cosmetic dehydration.

the only positives i can give this powder foundation: decent coverage, a truly matte finish, affordable, easy to find both online and in stores.

i really don't like writing negative reviews about products. saying that, if this review spares even just one person over the age of 30 from seeing what they'd look like as the crypt keeper with this stuff on their face then i'll have done my part by posting it.

on 10/6/2014 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got this is a Try Me Kit, all from Bare Escentuals. My first ever experience with this brand, back in the spring, I believe. I have oily skin, especially in summer. I'm getting older. I accept this. But when I looked in my car mirror upon leaving my house after applying this, I found an old lady staring back at me. What.the.heck? As an all over foundation, this did not work for me. It made every fine line I have look like the Grand Canyon and made the rest of my face look like a Stephen King movie special effect. Not cool. Being the stubborn type, I insisted on finding a way to use this. I put a teeny tiny bit on my daughter for a school dance. She's 12 with perfect skin. When I was done, she looked like a 33 year old hooker. I apologize to any 33 year old hookers reading this but it's the truth. But that still didn't stop me from trying to find a use for it. I finally found that since I moisturize and prime my undereye area very well, I could use this very sparingly as an undereye setting powder. I mean very sparingly, like just fake the jar out by sending your makeup brush a centimeter over it. I'd then spray with a makeup setting spray like my life depended on it. Which I do every single day, anyway. The only thing that changes is the brand of the spray I use, based on the occasion. Because I like pain and apparently hate myself, I'm working on using up the regular formula in exactly the same manner, which I got in the same kit, right now.

Bottom line, ask for a sample at the counter to make sure you don't spend way too much money to end up looking like something Stephen King would write about. M'kay?

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review/Comparison: BareMinerals vs. It Cosmetics Celebration Foundation Illumination by TheKatalicious17

Top Rated Bare Escentuals Products