October 31, 2014 | 1586 users online

Treatments (Face) - manuka honey

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2012 4:33:00 AM More reviews by hanmu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As an occasional treatment or component in face masks this is wonderful. It really helps to even out my skin tone and heal any sore spots or dry skin.
As for acne, it works well on the cystic type, but not so much on regular pimples. In fact, when I tried using it as a daily face wash in a bid to go more natural it actually clogged my pores and caused even more acne! I think I'll stick to using it once or twice a week.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by JamaicanWhitie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this hoping that it would help flatten a pimple on my chin! So instead of using it as a mask for 30 minutes I put a dab on it and covered it with a band-aid overnight. I have done this for the past two days and its not improved at all. I am so disappointed; especially after reading all of the rave reviews :(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 8:17:00 PM More reviews by bunbunny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you are suffering from any skin ailment, please please please try this.
1) Price:
I live in BC, Canada, so naturally, everything is slightly more expensive than in the rest of Canada and even more than the US. I found a 60mL container at Whole Foods for $15. That's very cheap, given it lasted me about 6 months, while using it every night.

2) How I use it:
I used to use cleansers, toners, scrubs, moisturizers, night creams...
And then, I decided to stop. I began thinking: what if I'm doing too much? I heard about manuka honey from a few other blogs, so I said, my skin can't get any worse, so might as well try it. Boy, am I glad I did.

I use it as a mask/moisturizer at night. Allow me to explain.
**The kind of manuka honey cream I have includes: organic olive oil, organic beeswax, grape seed oil extract, organic manuka honey, manuka oil extract and water.**

In the evening, I wash my face with water and gentle veggie soap, and then I apply a thin layer of manuka honey all over my face, as a mask. I leave it on for 30 minutes, and then, I take a tissue paper, pat my face, and GENTLY rub the remainder into my skin, so it can sink in. By the time I go to bed, it's relatively dry, but I usually sleep on my back anyway.
Now, if you were to use 100% manuka honey with no other ingredients, I wouldn't leave it in as a moisturizer; I'd just use it as a mask.

3) What it does for me:
My skin is first of all, less red and less bumpy. My pores aren't clogged anymore, with far fewer pimples (this also has to do with my simple skin-care/make-up routine - check notepad if you're curious). Last, but not least, it moisturizes big time without making my face oily.

This is my experience on a skin cream with manuka honey. It took about 1 week to see really noticeable results and I think it worked this well because of the minimal skin care routine.
Hope this helped someone out there :)

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 5:21:00 AM More reviews by SilverRocks

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I just started my raw honey regimen again. My 5 year old son and I eat a teaspoon a day. We are both prone to colds, and I really saw the difference in our overall health when we had stopped for a few weeks.
But who cares about health right, let's get to the important part ;)
I stopped using regular raw honey on my face ( brand is "Really Raw Honey"n now just use it internally), since it was too harsh for me. It was great for awhile, but then it slowly dried out my face. I have dry skin with the occasional bad break out and slight bumps from time to time. I read about Manuka honey and bought a jar 15+ about a week ago. First of all, it is the perfect face wash. Just use it as if it was a regular cleanser (has a great and smooth consistency), and gently massage it for a few minutes. Take a wash cloth (or you can rinse it off with your hands). Second step: Put about a half a tea spoon on your face, again massage it in (concentrate on problem areas such as pimples, scars, wrinkles and then keep it on your face for however long you like. I do this only in the evening, and keep the honey on for about 30 minutes, but it all depends, sometimes as short as 5 minutes. Now again, take a wash cloth and put it under warm water. I don't rinse all the honey off, but pat it into my skin until it is not as sticky anymore. When I'm done I spash a tiny amount of water on my face and rub in a drop of honey as my moisturizer.
The first few days my skin dried out a bit, but now it adjusted and I have a fantastic clear complection and tighter skin. I put it on my son's "bumpies" (face, legs, arms) and also use it on hom as a nighly moisturizer (can't start young enough ;).
I will write an update to see if this miracle continues. Buying my dad regular raw honey and Manuka for Christmas. Your dog goes nuts for it as well ( the regular RH) . Bye bye Strycectin. I found an all in one product for all my needs. Can't get any better than that right?
UPDATE: January 15, 2012.
It's been over a month now and I still use Manuka honey every night. As stated in my original review, I use it as a mask for however much time I have. If I'm really tired, I just put a tea spoon of MH on my face, massage it and massage it gently into my sking after I opened my pores with a warm wash cloth.
Again, after washing the MHoney off, I keep my face wet and put another little dab of it on my moist face until it is absorbed.
I sleep with it at night (sometimes I can be sticky, so either splasch a bit more water on face to dilute, or use a towel on the pillow).
In conclusion: Did not have one break out until a few days ago (got rid of my IUD, hence my hormones are running havoc) and eneded up with ONE !!! pimple. Of course I wouldn't leave it alone, and after I was done messing with my face, I looked like I gad a third eye. Put honey on it overnight, next day the pimple was almost invisible.
I will stick to Manuka honey and just bought my second jar yesterday (I guess I am a little too generous with the amounts I use).
My face is clear, even, pores almost invisible and I love it. Sometimes it feels as if my skin is dry, however I do not use any additional moisturizers.
looked into Episilk hyalluronic serum and used it for one night agter my honey regimen. It felt great, however, I like to stick to "one for all product" and Manuka honey delivers everything I want/need.

24 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2011 12:07:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

I've been using Manuka for a few years now, it is amazing. I've found it every bit as effective as polysporin under a bandage for little cuts and burns. I have hormonal acne, and guilty if being a picker. This does help things heal nicely if I have been bad. I use it often as a mask, and one of my favourites is to mix with a splash of lemon,plain goats yogurt (home lactic acid peel, tres mild!) and a tsp of oatmeal flakes. I eyeball the measurements, but as long as it's goey enough to not drip, it's a nice way to heal, exfoliate (goat dairy has "smaller" enzymes or something that makes it easier to digest and absorb topically than cow). I also use Manuka with crushed aspirin as a mask/spot treatment or sometimes mixed with bee propolis or tea tree in a mask. There are no downsides to this despite the stickiness and price, given the money and time I've invested in products that just exacerbate my spots or do nothing at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i've been hearing about the anti-bacterial properties for a while now, and a few weeks ago DH and i caved in and bought some Manuka Honey from Whole Foods. we paid $25-ish or so for a container about 4 inches tall or so by 3 inches wide.

the consistency is thicker and creamier than other types of honey, and its much less sweet. still sweet. but not as delicious, IMO, as Clover honey :) dont get me wrong, it wouldnt be torture or anything to eat it though ;)

i've been meaning to do a face mask with it, and i think i will today, so i'll come back and update later.

what we've been using it for is diaper rash though. its AMAZING! we had been using Butt Paste. as it was the only thing that would keep DS's bum clear. BUT, we had to apply that EVERY time, without fail. skipping ONE time would mean a red bum again :(

with this, we apply it every 2nd or 3rd night after his shower, and just leave it there till it gets wiped away after the morning diaper change. after just the FIRST use, his bottom was no longer red at all! and we only applly it that ONE time every 2 to 3 days! his bottom stays soooo clear and much better than even the Butt Paste had it! *is thrilled*

we also use it on an ylittle cuts or anything that one of us egets, and it helps them to heal soooo much faster :)

i'll be trying this in the near future as a face mask, and mixed with conditioner as a hair mask (SMT's! woo hoo!).

after we run out in a maybe 6 months or so from now i'll definately be re-buying!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2011 11:08:00 PM More reviews by erika21

I've heard about the anti-bacterial and healing properties of manuka honey for quite a while. But it was only after a TV programme that showed the production / benefits of manuka honey, that I decided to buy it. The shop I went to had a wide range of manuka honey and the UMF level was not the only differentiating factor. There was active honey with the value but not UMF (e.g. Manuka honey active 16+). Apparently, this means that it is not certified by the UMF organisation but it claims to have the equivalent anti-bacterial property with that of manuka honey labeled as UMF 16+. Hence, it is slightly cheaper. I suppose the suppliers of such honey are smaller honey bees farms in New Zealand that do not want to spend additional money on its certification. Personally however, I would rather get something that is certified. At least it has been audited by the non-biased and objective organisation.

There is also raw active, premium active and premium raw active.
I decided to get the raw active as the SA recommended it since it is unfiltered and more of the goodness is retained in the honey. I did not get the premium raw active. It is a grade better than the raw active but it has a grainy texture that not many people may like if they intend to take the honey by itself.

I bought the raw honey UMF16+ as well as the UMF24+. I take the honey orally (2 teaspoons a day) and use it topically as well. I use the honey as a facial mask nearly every night. I take 1/2 a teaspoon of honey, massage it into my face and leave it on for about an hour before washing it off. I then continue with my usual skincare regime.

After the first use, I noticed that my skin tone appeared a little more even and looked more radiant. After continuous usage of about 2 weeks, there is more improvement in terms of skin tone. My pores are smaller and I have less white and blackheads on my nose. Recently, an incident totally convinced me of the healing/anti-inflammatory properties of the manuka honey.

I tried the stupid Love More Mask (it is one of the top selling masks in Taiwan) and had some kind of an allergic reaction. I must have been scratching at my face while sleeping without knowing it. Because when I woke up the next day, I noticed that my face was very red and felt very raw/sore at the slightest touch. I also noted that there were some very small "pimples" (with pus) randomly dispersed on my cheek areas. Actually I'm not sure it's pimples because it is entirely flat and is not painful at all, just itchy. Anyway, I had to go to work that day and had to look decent. So I applied the Shu Uemura Underbase Mousse in BB beige (limited edition) to help lighten the redness. I also applied a light dusting of loose powder with a powder puff. I did not dare go through my usual makeup regime and apply any foundation or concealer because I was afraid of irritating my already irritated skin any further. When I got home that day, i applied a thick layer of manuka honey on my face, more for the parts with the funny pimple like things and left it on for around 2 hours. When I washed it off, my skin was more calm, less red and some of the "pimples" disappeared. I did the super thick honey mask treatment for 3 days straight and there has been a huge improvement. The redness is nearly all gone and my injured parts from scratching dried up and has nearly finished peeling off. I'm going to continue with the honey treatment but will apply less since I no longer need so much. Besides, manuka honey is expensive in S'pore. The ones I bought cost $78 for 500g (UMF 16+) and $148 (UMF 24+). I have only used the UMF 16+ and will use the UMF 24+ once I have finished using the UMF 16+.

My conclusion: If you are not allergic to manuka honey (do a patch test if you are trying it for the first time), manuka honey is great as a basic facial mask for hydration/tightening of pores; to calm and heal irritated and inflammed skin as well as a good pimple treatment.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2011 7:20:00 AM More reviews by msmanetti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased some manuka honey to treat some dermatitis and pimples. While it didn't seem to make a difference to the dermatitis spots on my face, boy did it ever for the pimples/acne. It took away the inflammation and healed them up quicker than anything else I have used. I love that it is natural and I don't need to put a chemical on my pimples. It is a little messy, but I am at home with kids so no one really sees me :). You don't need a lot, just a dab, and if one spot is really bad, put some on a band-aid and cover the spot with it overnight, by morning it will look much much better. A couple of weeks ago I had a cystic zit on my neck, one under the surface and I naughtily picked at it till it was out, but it looked terrible. I put some Manuka on it for a 24 hour period and when I took the bandaid off it was almost gone. It was amazing. So now, Manuka honey goes on everything, from cuts to burns, inside cups of tea and sometimes I have a teaspoon during the day (tastes a little medicinal but still has a sweet flavour). If you were consuming manuka honey daily I would say it is an expensive product (mine cost AU$24 for 250g and was MGO400 or UF16+, brand was 'Manuka Health New Zealand), but as a spot treatment - lasts for ages and best value ever! Would absolutely recommend it.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2011 3:42:00 PM More reviews by realpeak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I always have some manuka honey 15+ in my kitchen. It's a great spot treatment, exfoliator (my honey always crystallizes about 1 day after opening), calming down skin irritation and a hydrating face mask. I occasionally use it on my hair aswell with some olive oil and my hair is left feeling so soft and shiny after washing out with no frizz. You can also add some brown sugar and use it as a lipscrub. Quite pricey but well worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 12:12:00 PM More reviews by jabritao

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love what honey has done for my face. I use it as a cleanser and mask. It leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized. I received compliments on how good my skin was looking almost immediately after I made the switch. I'm now using manuka honey Active +16 to help with the acne. B/c I switched other things in my routine as well, I can't be certain that it is reducing outbreaks, but my skin looks better than it ever has. *HG*

**EDIT** I started using it as an overnight spot treatment on cystic acne. It makes them heal faster than anything else I have tried.