December 22, 2014 | 971 users online

Treatments (Face) - manuka honey

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2012 2:35:00 AM More reviews by stbottre

Warning to people with sensitive skin! I washed my face lightly with this and it immediately gave me a rash and consequent hives. Apart from the raging rash and hives my skin did feel slightly softer. Due to the many recommendations for this product, i wouldnt discourage people without sensitive skin to try it and for those who do, do a patch test, so apply to a tiny bit of skin before you use it all over your face, i learnt the hard way lol.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2012 10:47:00 AM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Just started using this 24 hrs ago & already in love! Saw Farah Dhukai's video on yt about how to get glowing skin with this DIY daily mask. My deviation to her recipe:

--Manuka honey: 1 tbsp
--Pomegranate seeds blended/juice: 1 tsp

I bough my Manuka from Whole Foods, the 18 oz of the Wedderspoon Raw Organic Active 16+ brand for $40 :( There were other brands of Manuka available, but the SA said this was the most 'bioactive' and pure, others listed manuka in some percentage mixed with another honey type, unlike this one which is 100%. Also, WF has an excellent return policy so I figured I might as well shell out the money & if its a fail after a few tries, I can always return it. This honey has a thick opaque consistency & a strong vicks vapor like smell. It wasn't too bothersome for me but I probably couldn't ingest it. I found it to be not as sticky as the traditional honey and much easier to spread on the face as its creamier. I skimmed the 200++ reviews on Amazon to get a good idea of the product & its properties.

I also didn't go through the trouble of peeling, removing & blending seeds of a real pomegranate, just bought the POM pomegranate (85%) & blueberry (15%) juice, couldn't find 100% but hey blueberries are a powerful antioxidant too & it still had no other preservatives. Anyways I mixed the proportions together & poured it in a plastic jar I picked up from the dollar store & refrigerated. I used the mask for 30 mins last night & again this am and WOW what a difference. My skin which is highly irritable right now (PCOS hormones), red, raw & severely breaking out has seen ATLEAST a 50% reduction in the redness already!Trust me I'm not an over exaggerater, my mom asked if I was wearing powder already at breakfast! My monstrous zits have turned into whiteheads over night :) and my skin just feels calm and soft. I can't say for the moisturizing/anti-aging benefits on pores/fine lines yet ofcourse but I am sold already! This honey is a keeper for sure. HIghly recommend it for those suffering with severee acne.

FYI; I use clarisonic daily, PMD weekly, tanda zap daily, derma roller bi weekly, AHA treatments & a variety of natural oils as part of my regular skin regimen. I have also tried tazorac, duac gel and retinol in the past. None of the above, alone or combined has shown me such good results, this FAST

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by LiL_Laurie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was no miracle product for me and I bought the 16+

It does nothing for my pimples, cuts, scrapes, scabs - did not speed healing or help clear an infection that I had.

I give it 2 lippies because it is good for reducing inflammation (if i pick and make a pimple angry it helps take the red out and bring it back to how it looked before) BUT it does not make it heal faster, or become more "pop"able or anything else like that.

If anything I think I break out worse when I use it as a face mask, worse as in deep cystic zits.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 12:25:00 AM More reviews by lilmi

I use Manuka 15+, anything under UMF 10 hasn't got any actives so it wont really be different to regular honey.

Price~
I paid around 18 for 250 ml, It's not cheap! BUT if you use it sensibly, then it'll last you quite a while.

Where to buy it from~
Most health-food stores and some supermarkets stock it.

How I use it~
Make sure I've taken all my make-up off etc
I take about half a teaspoon of the honey and spread it over my face, gentle circular motions. Its important not to be too heavy handed as the stickiness of the honey can pull your skin. Also don't layer it on too much because it will start dripping off after a short while. I leave it on for as long as I like, usually 30 minutes or so then I pat it off with a wet cloth using lukewarm water.

Results~
Brighter skin, clean but also moisturised. Blemishes also a bit more calm and soothed.

In a nut-shell~
I think it's great as a face-mask, it cleanses without stripping your skin like a lot of other masks do. If you use it every few days, the jar of honey will probably last you a few months. You can try it as a 'spot' treatment but you probably wont get instant results. It's not a miracle product, it's just a jar of really good honey!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2012 4:33:00 AM More reviews by hanmu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As an occasional treatment or component in face masks this is wonderful. It really helps to even out my skin tone and heal any sore spots or dry skin.
As for acne, it works well on the cystic type, but not so much on regular pimples. In fact, when I tried using it as a daily face wash in a bid to go more natural it actually clogged my pores and caused even more acne! I think I'll stick to using it once or twice a week.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by JamaicanWhitie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this hoping that it would help flatten a pimple on my chin! So instead of using it as a mask for 30 minutes I put a dab on it and covered it with a band-aid overnight. I have done this for the past two days and its not improved at all. I am so disappointed; especially after reading all of the rave reviews :(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 8:17:00 PM More reviews by bunbunny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you are suffering from any skin ailment, please please please try this.
1) Price:
I live in BC, Canada, so naturally, everything is slightly more expensive than in the rest of Canada and even more than the US. I found a 60mL container at Whole Foods for $15. That's very cheap, given it lasted me about 6 months, while using it every night.

2) How I use it:
I used to use cleansers, toners, scrubs, moisturizers, night creams...
And then, I decided to stop. I began thinking: what if I'm doing too much? I heard about manuka honey from a few other blogs, so I said, my skin can't get any worse, so might as well try it. Boy, am I glad I did.

I use it as a mask/moisturizer at night. Allow me to explain.
**The kind of manuka honey cream I have includes: organic olive oil, organic beeswax, grape seed oil extract, organic manuka honey, manuka oil extract and water.**

In the evening, I wash my face with water and gentle veggie soap, and then I apply a thin layer of manuka honey all over my face, as a mask. I leave it on for 30 minutes, and then, I take a tissue paper, pat my face, and GENTLY rub the remainder into my skin, so it can sink in. By the time I go to bed, it's relatively dry, but I usually sleep on my back anyway.
Now, if you were to use 100% manuka honey with no other ingredients, I wouldn't leave it in as a moisturizer; I'd just use it as a mask.

3) What it does for me:
My skin is first of all, less red and less bumpy. My pores aren't clogged anymore, with far fewer pimples (this also has to do with my simple skin-care/make-up routine - check notepad if you're curious). Last, but not least, it moisturizes big time without making my face oily.

This is my experience on a skin cream with manuka honey. It took about 1 week to see really noticeable results and I think it worked this well because of the minimal skin care routine.
Hope this helped someone out there :)

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 5:21:00 AM More reviews by SilverRocks

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I just started my raw honey regimen again. My 5 year old son and I eat a teaspoon a day. We are both prone to colds, and I really saw the difference in our overall health when we had stopped for a few weeks.
But who cares about health right, let's get to the important part ;)
I stopped using regular raw honey on my face ( brand is "Really Raw Honey"n now just use it internally), since it was too harsh for me. It was great for awhile, but then it slowly dried out my face. I have dry skin with the occasional bad break out and slight bumps from time to time. I read about Manuka honey and bought a jar 15+ about a week ago. First of all, it is the perfect face wash. Just use it as if it was a regular cleanser (has a great and smooth consistency), and gently massage it for a few minutes. Take a wash cloth (or you can rinse it off with your hands). Second step: Put about a half a tea spoon on your face, again massage it in (concentrate on problem areas such as pimples, scars, wrinkles and then keep it on your face for however long you like. I do this only in the evening, and keep the honey on for about 30 minutes, but it all depends, sometimes as short as 5 minutes. Now again, take a wash cloth and put it under warm water. I don't rinse all the honey off, but pat it into my skin until it is not as sticky anymore. When I'm done I spash a tiny amount of water on my face and rub in a drop of honey as my moisturizer.
The first few days my skin dried out a bit, but now it adjusted and I have a fantastic clear complection and tighter skin. I put it on my son's "bumpies" (face, legs, arms) and also use it on hom as a nighly moisturizer (can't start young enough ;).
I will write an update to see if this miracle continues. Buying my dad regular raw honey and Manuka for Christmas. Your dog goes nuts for it as well ( the regular RH) . Bye bye Strycectin. I found an all in one product for all my needs. Can't get any better than that right?
UPDATE: January 15, 2012.
It's been over a month now and I still use Manuka honey every night. As stated in my original review, I use it as a mask for however much time I have. If I'm really tired, I just put a tea spoon of MH on my face, massage it and massage it gently into my sking after I opened my pores with a warm wash cloth.
Again, after washing the MHoney off, I keep my face wet and put another little dab of it on my moist face until it is absorbed.
I sleep with it at night (sometimes I can be sticky, so either splasch a bit more water on face to dilute, or use a towel on the pillow).
In conclusion: Did not have one break out until a few days ago (got rid of my IUD, hence my hormones are running havoc) and eneded up with ONE !!! pimple. Of course I wouldn't leave it alone, and after I was done messing with my face, I looked like I gad a third eye. Put honey on it overnight, next day the pimple was almost invisible.
I will stick to Manuka honey and just bought my second jar yesterday (I guess I am a little too generous with the amounts I use).
My face is clear, even, pores almost invisible and I love it. Sometimes it feels as if my skin is dry, however I do not use any additional moisturizers.
looked into Episilk hyalluronic serum and used it for one night agter my honey regimen. It felt great, however, I like to stick to "one for all product" and Manuka honey delivers everything I want/need.

24 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2011 12:07:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

I've been using Manuka for a few years now, it is amazing. I've found it every bit as effective as polysporin under a bandage for little cuts and burns. I have hormonal acne, and guilty if being a picker. This does help things heal nicely if I have been bad. I use it often as a mask, and one of my favourites is to mix with a splash of lemon,plain goats yogurt (home lactic acid peel, tres mild!) and a tsp of oatmeal flakes. I eyeball the measurements, but as long as it's goey enough to not drip, it's a nice way to heal, exfoliate (goat dairy has "smaller" enzymes or something that makes it easier to digest and absorb topically than cow). I also use Manuka with crushed aspirin as a mask/spot treatment or sometimes mixed with bee propolis or tea tree in a mask. There are no downsides to this despite the stickiness and price, given the money and time I've invested in products that just exacerbate my spots or do nothing at all.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i've been hearing about the anti-bacterial properties for a while now, and a few weeks ago DH and i caved in and bought some Manuka Honey from Whole Foods. we paid $25-ish or so for a container about 4 inches tall or so by 3 inches wide.

the consistency is thicker and creamier than other types of honey, and its much less sweet. still sweet. but not as delicious, IMO, as Clover honey :) dont get me wrong, it wouldnt be torture or anything to eat it though ;)

i've been meaning to do a face mask with it, and i think i will today, so i'll come back and update later.

what we've been using it for is diaper rash though. its AMAZING! we had been using Butt Paste. as it was the only thing that would keep DS's bum clear. BUT, we had to apply that EVERY time, without fail. skipping ONE time would mean a red bum again :(

with this, we apply it every 2nd or 3rd night after his shower, and just leave it there till it gets wiped away after the morning diaper change. after just the FIRST use, his bottom was no longer red at all! and we only applly it that ONE time every 2 to 3 days! his bottom stays soooo clear and much better than even the Butt Paste had it! *is thrilled*

we also use it on an ylittle cuts or anything that one of us egets, and it helps them to heal soooo much faster :)

i'll be trying this in the near future as a face mask, and mixed with conditioner as a hair mask (SMT's! woo hoo!).

after we run out in a maybe 6 months or so from now i'll definately be re-buying!