L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

2.6

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Good price and your average mascara packaging. This mascara wears very well throughout the day, applies easily and dries quickly. I love the applicator, and don't find it to cause clumps at all. I use this as an everyday work mascara during allergy season.

I don't know what all the hype is about with this mascara. I see so many celebrities use this and I don't understand why. I am not blessed with nice lashes and I thought this would make them somewhat noticeable. I do admit it is super black and it is a pain to remove it because it is waterproof, but it smears and smudges like there's no tomorrow. The brush is pretty simple and it has so much product on it. I always end up wiping off all the leftover product with a tissue and I just feel like its a waste. If you want to get your money's worth, try using it as a gel liner. Just take some product from the brush with your eyeliner brush, and for me it works pretty well. It's matte, dark, and waterproof.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What happened? I swear this used to be better, I remember purchasing it multiple times in the past. My latest go-round with this will be my last. I can't believe it's supposed to be waterproof - after just a couple hours (and no sweat/oiliness/water involved) it smudged and I had it under my eyes. Doesn't give much volume either, would be a nice everyday/nearly natural mascara if it actually lasted longer. It is a nice, super black color. Gave it higher marks for price (L'oreal goes on sale pretty frequently, it's not that expensive to begin with) and packaging but that's it.

on 1/24/2014 2:02:00 AM

This stuff is awful!!!!! I do recall trying the regular formula and it worked amazingly so I purchased the waterproof version during summertime and mind you I was in air conditioning all day but it gave me raccoon eyes like no other!! I was so upset and embarrassed at how such a hyped up amazing mascara's waterproof version could be that horrible. There is nothing waterproof about it lol and I have oily eyelids as well. It literally smudged so bad that I looked like I had 2 black eyes. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to call it waterproof. I also lost the receipt to it so I couldn't even exchange it for another one. Bummer.

on 1/18/2014 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have used this for a while but the last tube I bought was horrible. It was as if the tube end that is supposed to squeeze off the excess product was not there or something and the brush is a big old clumped up mess! Has anyone else noticed this? I had to keep wiping off the product on the top of the tube just so I could wear it. Maybe my tube was faulty? I will not buy this ever again!

on 1/17/2014 8:37:00 PM

Should have checked here before buying this. Raccoon eyes is right. I wore this once, and I have dry skin. By the end of the day a thin black film was arced under each eye. Not what I was going for.

on 11/7/2013 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My eyelashes: Asian - Longer than the typical Asian lashes, but still sparse. Sticks straight out and no natural curl.
Skin type: Oily.

I love Voluminous because it gives my eyelashes a lot of volume. But I have very oily eyelids. So after even an hour, it starts smudging slightly even though it's supposed to be waterproof. After 2-3 hours, I start looking like a raccoon. Very disappointing because Voluminous holds my curl very well. I always have to wipe the wand because it dispenses too much product that can make your lashes clump together.

PROS:
- Holds curl well.
- Inexpensive.

CONS:
- Smudges easily (supposed to be waterproof)
- Too much product on wand

Overall-
It's not horrible... It's the only mascara so far that actually holds the curl to my straight Asian lashes. As long as I touch up frequently during the day, it's decent but I would prefer not to have to worry about raccoon eyes. I am going to continue searching for a mascara that does not smudge and holds my curl.

on 9/16/2013 9:17:00 PM

Ladies if you have oily eyelids AVOID!!!!

OMG worst smudging I have ever encountered! I left my house with gorgeous lashes..... three hours later after a major presentation at work I went to the washroom and I looked like an actually raccoon! This wasn't a "bit" of smudging for flaking this was major. It looked like my upper eyelashes had been smushed against my undereye and all the mascara rubbed off!! Thank goodness it was only $6CND cause it went right in the trash.

For some reason the "Carbon Black" line from L'Oreal smudges way more than their regular mascara.

on 9/7/2013 6:50:00 PM

Great classic mascara! Doesn't clump or flake at all. It smudged a little after a long day, but stayed put for the most part. I tried this after really liking the waterproof Voluminous False Fiber Lashes mascara. This one is a few dollars cheaper, but the False Fiber Lashes gives more length and volume, plus it holds a curl better. However if you want more natural looking lashes, go with this mascara!

on 9/6/2013 11:10:00 PM

I really wanted to love this mascara....

I was expecting a good amount of volume from it, and it didn't deliver. Apart from that though, it makes a really nice everyday my-lashes-but-better mascara. Holds a curl really well, nice and and black, flakes a little bit after awhile ... but not really that noticable unless you're right up close.

Packaging is really nice though, looks a lot more expensive then it is. The brush is full, so it does coat the lashes nicely.

Only reason i'm not repurchasing is because I prefer a lot more volume, but if you're looking for a nice every day mascara, this is it. It goes on sale pretty often too for 5.99 CAD, so BONUS!

(If you wanna stick with l'oreal and you want a lot of volume, get the Voluminous Power 24 hour, the brush is huge and it's great! Two coats and it's long lasting volume all day)