L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

2.6

I don't know what all the hype is about with this mascara. I see so many celebrities use this and I don't understand why. I am not blessed with nice lashes and I thought this would make them somewhat noticeable. I do admit it is super black and it is a pain to remove it because it is waterproof, but it smears and smudges like there's no tomorrow. The brush is pretty simple and it has so much product on it. I always end up wiping off all the leftover product with a tissue and I just feel like its a waste. If you want to get your money's worth, try using it as a gel liner. Just take some product from the brush with your eyeliner brush, and for me it works pretty well. It's matte, dark, and waterproof.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What happened? I swear this used to be better, I remember purchasing it multiple times in the past. My latest go-round with this will be my last. I can't believe it's supposed to be waterproof - after just a couple hours (and no sweat/oiliness/water involved) it smudged and I had it under my eyes. Doesn't give much volume either, would be a nice everyday/nearly natural mascara if it actually lasted longer. It is a nice, super black color. Gave it higher marks for price (L'oreal goes on sale pretty frequently, it's not that expensive to begin with) and packaging but that's it.

on 1/24/2014 2:02:00 AM

This stuff is awful!!!!! I do recall trying the regular formula and it worked amazingly so I purchased the waterproof version during summertime and mind you I was in air conditioning all day but it gave me raccoon eyes like no other!! I was so upset and embarrassed at how such a hyped up amazing mascara's waterproof version could be that horrible. There is nothing waterproof about it lol and I have oily eyelids as well. It literally smudged so bad that I looked like I had 2 black eyes. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to call it waterproof. I also lost the receipt to it so I couldn't even exchange it for another one. Bummer.

on 1/18/2014 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have used this for a while but the last tube I bought was horrible. It was as if the tube end that is supposed to squeeze off the excess product was not there or something and the brush is a big old clumped up mess! Has anyone else noticed this? I had to keep wiping off the product on the top of the tube just so I could wear it. Maybe my tube was faulty? I will not buy this ever again!

on 1/17/2014 8:37:00 PM

Should have checked here before buying this. Raccoon eyes is right. I wore this once, and I have dry skin. By the end of the day a thin black film was arced under each eye. Not what I was going for.

on 11/7/2013 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My eyelashes: Asian - Longer than the typical Asian lashes, but still sparse. Sticks straight out and no natural curl.
Skin type: Oily.

I love Voluminous because it gives my eyelashes a lot of volume. But I have very oily eyelids. So after even an hour, it starts smudging slightly even though it's supposed to be waterproof. After 2-3 hours, I start looking like a raccoon. Very disappointing because Voluminous holds my curl very well. I always have to wipe the wand because it dispenses too much product that can make your lashes clump together.

PROS:
- Holds curl well.
- Inexpensive.

CONS:
- Smudges easily (supposed to be waterproof)
- Too much product on wand

Overall-
It's not horrible... It's the only mascara so far that actually holds the curl to my straight Asian lashes. As long as I touch up frequently during the day, it's decent but I would prefer not to have to worry about raccoon eyes. I am going to continue searching for a mascara that does not smudge and holds my curl.

on 9/16/2013 9:17:00 PM

Ladies if you have oily eyelids AVOID!!!!

OMG worst smudging I have ever encountered! I left my house with gorgeous lashes..... three hours later after a major presentation at work I went to the washroom and I looked like an actually raccoon! This wasn't a "bit" of smudging for flaking this was major. It looked like my upper eyelashes had been smushed against my undereye and all the mascara rubbed off!! Thank goodness it was only $6CND cause it went right in the trash.

For some reason the "Carbon Black" line from L'Oreal smudges way more than their regular mascara.

on 9/7/2013 6:50:00 PM

Great classic mascara! Doesn't clump or flake at all. It smudged a little after a long day, but stayed put for the most part. I tried this after really liking the waterproof Voluminous False Fiber Lashes mascara. This one is a few dollars cheaper, but the False Fiber Lashes gives more length and volume, plus it holds a curl better. However if you want more natural looking lashes, go with this mascara!

on 9/6/2013 11:10:00 PM

I really wanted to love this mascara....

I was expecting a good amount of volume from it, and it didn't deliver. Apart from that though, it makes a really nice everyday my-lashes-but-better mascara. Holds a curl really well, nice and and black, flakes a little bit after awhile ... but not really that noticable unless you're right up close.

Packaging is really nice though, looks a lot more expensive then it is. The brush is full, so it does coat the lashes nicely.

Only reason i'm not repurchasing is because I prefer a lot more volume, but if you're looking for a nice every day mascara, this is it. It goes on sale pretty often too for 5.99 CAD, so BONUS!

(If you wanna stick with l'oreal and you want a lot of volume, get the Voluminous Power 24 hour, the brush is huge and it's great! Two coats and it's long lasting volume all day)

on 9/3/2013 9:58:00 AM

I absolutely love this mascara! It gives me amazing volume,while coating every single lash and also being the blackest formula! Great staying power as well. For the price you can't complain because you def. Get what you pay for plus more!! I recommend this to all of my friends and family or anyone who asks about a good quality for the price mascara. I quit using this for a while and for the life of me I don't know why. Haha but I would give it a try for sure because if you don't like it you can always return it :)