Wella Color Charm White Lady Toner

on 5/5/2014 8:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the toner I currently use. I have been bleaching my natural mousy brown hair platinum blonde off and on since I was a teenager and I always use a toner. I have been using T18 (White Lady) for the past 2 or 3 years since they discontinued my beloved Clairol Creme Toner in Extra Light Platinum. I find that the Wella Color Charm Toner in T18 is the next best thing but I honestly much preferred my old Clairol toner. This one isn't bad as long as you're careful with it.

I found that with the Clairol toner I would get the perfect blonde shade every time, a beautiful bright true platinum blonde reminiscent of the iconic Hollywood blondes like Marilyn Monroe or Jayne Mansfield I really miss that toner and continued to purchase it online until I literally could not find it anymore so I had to make the switch to this toner. This toner is the next best thing to my Clairol one but I really have to be careful about how long I leave it in and sometimes I get better results than other times so this toner is less predictable results-wise than my old Clairol one. With the Clairol Creme Toner I always got the same results which was a beautiful true platinum blonde with all the nasty brassy tones removed but at the same time no grayish or purplish tones in my hair. It was really the best! With this Wella toner I find that sometimes I do get that perfect shade of platinum blonde just like with the Clairol but then there are other times I use it when I get a definite grayish or purplish cast to my hair that I absolutely cannot stand. It does not last forever and after a couple shampoos it goes back to normal but I don't like that happening in the first place. One thing this Wella toner is REALLY, REALLY good at is exactly what it is designed to do which is remove brassiness and unwanted yellow or gold tones from bleached hair but I feel like it does almost too good of a job because it often times leaves a grayish purple tone to my hair. The Clairol toner also removed the brassiness but without the noticeable albeit temporary grayish purple discoloration. So the major problem I have with this toner is the inconsistency of results but as far as removing those ugly brassy yellow tones it does a very good job! I would say give it a try if you are trying to achieve a platinum shade as this is really your best option for platinum blonde but try only leaving it in for 5 or 10 minutes at first so your hair doesn't turn grayish purple. If you require more toning than leave it in longer the next time you use it. The formula is a little liquidy but it is not harsh at all and is very gentle on the scalp especially after the harsh bleaching process.

I have done a little research and I think the reason I keep getting different results with this toner has to do with the porosity of my hair. I think sometimes my hair is more porous than other times and therefore it soaks up more of the toner leaving it with more of a grayish purple tone, other times my hair is not as porous and it just comes out a nice platinum blonde shade. This was never a problem for me with the Clairol toner but I guess this Wella one is stronger or something. If you find that you are having this same issue I recommend not leaving the toner in as long as it is recommended on the instructions and what I'm gonna start doing is use a porosity treatment before applying the toner like Roux Porosity Control so that my hair isn't too porous and doesn't soak up too much of the toner.

For those of you interested on how I lighten my hair I use Clairol 7th Stage Creme Lightener (Bleach) with 2 packets of the 7th Stage Lightening Activator and a 40 volume Creme Developer. For a root touch up I apply only to the roots using an applicator brush and am very careful to avoid the previously bleached hair so I don't over-process my hair which can cause extreme damage and breakage. If you are applying to a full head of hair be sure to apply to the mid lengths and ends first and the roots last so you don't end up with white roots and orange hair (the roots process faster than the rest of the hair) I prefer creme bleaches to powder bleaches because they lighten better and are not as hard on the scalp or as drying to the hair. After my hair is fully processed I rinse the bleach out and then shampoo and condition with Nexxus Humectress to put the moisture back that the bleach stripped away and then I proceed to tone it with the Wella T18 mixed with 20 volume creme developer I then rinse and proceed to deep condition with Aussie 3 minute miracle. I do a protein treatment with my K-pak Reconstructor once a month which is very important for chemically processed hair because it adds strength back to fragile processed hair. I also alternate deep conditioning treatments between the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle and the Queen Helene Cholesterol conditioner I also do periodic hot oil treatments usually with the Vo5 hot oil treatment. It's a lot of maintenance being blonde so keep in mind that it is a commitment if you decide to take the steps to go blonde.

on 4/13/2014 2:44:00 PM

Wella T14 Color Charm. Best. Product. Ever. Why didn't I know about this??? I have blonde highlights, and I live in an area with very hard, mineraly water that turns blond to brass within weeks. It just looks awful and cheap, and often just rinsed my hair with darker semi's to cover the ickyness. After my last highights, I did not want to go darker as summer is on it's way, and what a waste of money! OMG. When I got out of the shower after using, I almost cried. It was the blonde I had been looking for all my life, not to be too dramatic! Soft, well blended, NO BRASS, and brought out the brightness into my skin. After drying and styling, wow. Just wow. Used as directed, and left on for 15 min, covered with plastic to keep from drying out. Rinsed and used high quality conditioner, no shampoo. Thank you Wella!

I used this after putting color oops in my hair. It was able to get all the orange tones out. I have only used toning shampoo in the past and wish that I discovered this stuff sooner! It is amazing.

on 2/24/2014 8:38:00 PM

Used Natural light blonde instead of Light Ash Blonde thinking it's just my roots it'll blend. Oh heck no it did not! It pulled so red well more gold and brassy. I was not a happy girl so I went to Sally's and picked this up and some shimmer lights. Did this just on the roots first and it did what I hoped and ashed it out really well. I wanted more so I did purple protein filler with some Wella Demi Light ash blonde on the rest of my hair and the more golden spots in the front. Worked well then today just said why not do another. So I picked up another T18 and did my whole hair with some conditioner added to it for 20 minutes and it brought it to such a nice beige blonde with silvery highlights. Very happy with this toner and will use it again as a colour refresher and saver:) Make sure to watch your tone because you can tinge a light purple but it washes out. Recommended!

on 2/19/2014 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have medium brown in a fairly short pixie cut, longer on top, but I had always wanted blonde hair with that pale lavender undertone so I decided I would finally go for it.
I did all my research on bleach and toners, and found this "white lady"** toner kept showing up. Bought it from Sally's with a 20 volume developer and took it home to finally try it out (after bleaching to the palest yellow blonde I could manage). Left it in for less than 5 minutes and rinsed, noticed some patches were white while others were still yellow. Did a second process and left it in for a little over 10 minutes then rinsed, ended up with a fantastically silvery-lavender blonde.
I would recommend this product to anyone wanting to go for that pretty white-blonde tone! Just be sure you've bleached enough and don't have much orange left in, or it won't work properly.

**It's no longer called "white lady"! It's T18 "lightest ash blonde"! Be sure to look or ask for that in the store if you're going to buy it.

on 2/15/2014 4:48:00 PM

I used t18 toner with 20 dev.
Left on bleached hair for only FIVE minutes to achieve results. Worked great. Brass ALL GONE. Would use again.

I had previously bleached my hair twice with box bleach.

on 11/17/2013 11:38:00 PM

A couple of months ago I decided to go back to blonde after having been a dark ash brown/soft black for a few years. I knew this would be a trying (and annoying) process since I've done it before, and was familiar with the various ugly stages hair must go through to be light enough to tone properly. My natural hair color is light brown for reference, but I had layers of dye to strip.
After using color strippers (like Color Oops) and drugstore-variety boxed dyes in the "ash blonde" category for a while I was still stuck with a light orange midsection and yellow roots. I can thank Feria's Platinum line for bringing it up to that last stage. This was the strongest product I used. I would definitely recommend doing it slowly and staying away from straight bleach for as long as possible if you're starting from a dark (dyed) color like I was. Of course, I'm not a professional, I just speak from my own experience.
I then went to Sally's and they recommended the T18 (which I later realized was the White Lady toner I had loved when I was platinum before.) I had my doubts about whether such a light toner could work on my hair since it was still so warm.
This turned my fiery Cyndi Lauper locks into a nice "Nordic" light/medium ash blonde! Just make sure you use 10 Vol. developer for deposit only, you don't need more than that for a toner. Also, as others on here have already mentioned, don't stress out if it turns too grey or purple. You can always shampoo out the excess violet/ash tones later.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is my holy grail hair item. I call it liquid crack! Lol. I cannot say enough amazing things about this product. I've found mixing it with a 20 volume helps lift and deposit a lot better to get all those brassy tones out. This will help with making your roots even with the rest of your hair as like I said it lifts. Also have realized the better quality developer you use, the better results. I've been using it with a Kenra 20.

on 10/21/2013 3:05:00 AM

Well let me start off by saying that I have natural dark brown hair. A couple months ago I decided I wanted to try to go platinum blonde. K so now I bought the bleach and developer 40 and bleached my hair one day (my hair was literally all orange and my roots were yellow) and then the day after that bleached it again because It was publicly embarrassing the one day my hair was orange.. Okay after I bleached the 2nd time it was yellowy and orange at the ends just alot less intense than it was the first time I used t18 wella toner and it turned my roots a medium grey and the ends of my hair where like a ginger color instead of orange after 2 months where I stand now the grayish tone and Ginger roots I notice were getting more brassy again so being that I want platinum blonde today I bleached my hair again since it's been about 2 months since my last bleaching I did my roots first with a 40 developer than washed out used a purple shampoo and my roots were very light yellow almost white so after washing out the bleach I bleached the rest of my hair mixed part 20 dev with part 40 dev because the length of my hair ha been bleached 2 times prior. Ok now I rinsed out the bleach used purple shampoo and then toned with wells t18 this time it left my roots a perfect color I love my roots they are platinum the way I want my hair butttttt, the toner left my ends of my hair PURPLE! So hopefully it washes out it's very noticeable and my husband is making fun of me :( haha... I never experimented like this with my hair also I would like to say that the ends of my hair are so damaged and gummy after the toner it upset me but maybe I just didn't do it right?can Anyone help me with getting thi purple toned hair out!? Thanks

on 8/13/2013 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Gave this three chances. My hair was pale yellow blonde. Not orange, literally pale yellow blonde...I should have been perfect for this toner. I wanted the yellow out and to maybe go whitish. I was almost there. I left this toner in for 8 minutes and my hair turned grey. I ended up putting a golden semi on and dealt with it for awhile. A few months later, I tried again, figuring my hair was just porous. 6 minutes, and gray again. This gray wasn't as bad, at least, it faded after a few washes. My friends said the top of my head and bangs looked white. Third try, a few months later. I thought my hair may not have been light enough (It was so light anyway!) so when I did my roots, I lightened up the rest of my head. It was definitely pale pale blonde at this point. Tried the toner for 6 minutes again...it was ugly gross gray and greenish. Obviously my hair was more porous because I had just lightened it the week before, but I hadn't lightened the lengths in years, only the roots. So it didn't get much damage from the process. It was so ugly and it wouldn't wash out. I had to use a color remover a few days later, now I'm stuck putting a neutral blonde semi on it to even the tone out and just deal with having darker than I wanted neutral blonde hair forever, unless I want to go lighter then I'd have to deal with yellow.