November 26, 2014 | 1033 users online

Powder - Cover Girl - Fresh complexion oil control makeup (powder foundation) [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

As per Cover Girl's website, this was replaced by

rated 2 of 5 on 7/24/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by glitzlover22

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this product is...okay. I have very oily skin, and this was supposed to help that. It did, for the most part I think. But, after putting it on, I still feel just as greasy as any other makeup i've used. A bit of a disappointment if I must say. And suprisingly, most of the reviews I have read on this product say that the makeup runs too dark, but I think that the shade I got is a little too light ahah. Anyways, maybe the more I use this I'll like it more, but if not, I'm probably just going to switch back to what I had been using.
peaceee[:
Katie

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2011 3:48:00 PM More reviews by PartBell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow! Where has this been all my life? Thanks again to all the wonderful reviews and tips on MUA - I learned about this compact. I was looking for something along these lines, but wanted something I could run out at lunchtime and grab at the local Walmart. I tried it in the car after I bought it and it kind of shocked me how awesome it looked! Let's see how long it holds up, but for right now I am really happy- looks like nothing on (in the sunlight no less!) and expertly wicked away the oily spots without an ounce of cakiness. If it still looks this good at the end of my work day, I think I will be a customer for life! PS- they may have changed the name a little? The package says "FreshComplexion Pocket Powder" but it's still the same oil control powder foundation in the blue compact. Cool!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2010 1:34:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 3

Price: 2 (~$8 at Wal-Mart)

Packaging: 4

Buy again: Yes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I first used this back in 2006 when I was first starting to use makeup. I wanted a cheap, decent powder foundation, and this fit the bill: I use Classic Ivory (I am an olive-skinned Chinese female, light-medium skin tone) and it matches my skin pretty well. I stopped using it in 2007 when I discovered mineral makeup, and then came back to it in the summer of 2008, but then switched again to something else. Finally, now in 2010, I'm back to it because I miss the convenience and availability of this foundation!

COMPACT: It's a slim, blue oval plastic compact with a large mirror in the lid and sectioned bottom pan for the makeup and the sponge holder. I really appreciate that the sponge is separate from the makeup, because I'm a germaphobe! The big mirror is also a plus, because you can actually see what you're doing! I like how the compact doesn't seem flimsy at all, and closes tightly. I actually really like the shape and colour of this compact, and it fits easily into any purse because it's so thin (unlike MAC compacts, Physicians Formula, etc). The sponge isn't bad quality, but I sometimes use a makeup brush (MAC 190) to apply the foundation heavier under my eyes or on blemishes (MAC 191).

COVERAGE: I would say that this foundation is light-medium coverage, depending on how you apply it. With the dry OR wet sponge, it's light-medium, and with a brush it can be medium if you layer it. I found that if you don't moisturize your skin beforehand, it can accentuate dry patches, but that's like with all makeup. It doesn't really cover blemishes very well, so you will need a concealer for that. The difference between applying the foundation wet or dry is just the finish; I find that with a dry sponge the application can look more matte, while the finish is more natural and less matte with the wet sponge.

EASE OF APPLICATION: Very easy! just use the sponge, swipe on product, and then using short even strokes, apply the makeup to your skin. Or, if you prefer to use a brush, just swipe product on the brush and apply to your skin. I like to wash my makeup sponge right after I finish applying my foundation so that my sponge will be nice and clean the next time I use it (I wash it with a makeup cleanser). I find that the makeup does last pretty long (I would say about 6-8 hours for me) and even if I blot with paper towel throughout the day, there is still some makeup on my face at the end of the day.

CONS: There isn't a large colour selection, so if I was to be more tanned, I would have difficulty finding the right colour. A few summers ago I got considerably darker, and I couldn't really find the right tone for my olive skintone. I'm thankful that I'm back to my light-fair complexion and that Classic Ivory still works for me.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a boycott of CG Fresh Complexion Pocket Powder in the large-chain drugstores! I cannot find this product in any of them, except for Wal-Mart and Zellers! I don't know what the deal is, but I'm not too pleased about it. Now, I make sure to buy a couple when I'm at Wal-Mart.

I find that I can use up an entire compact in about 2-3 months with daily usage. $10/3 months means only about $40 a year on foundation -- that is how much some of my previous foundations used to cost for ONE compact! I have to say that even though Cover Girl is a "cheap" drugstore foundation, I still love it. I would recommend this more for girls with normal-oily skin, and who don't have too many imperfections, but just want to even out their skintone.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2010 9:12:00 PM More reviews by milkmilkmilk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When I first tried out the product, I loved it. It has a very buildable coverage and light-weight feeling. It feels so fresh and clean because it didn't feel like I was wearing anything on my face. Also the packaging was so simple, cute, and easy to bring around.

The down-side is that it looked very muddy on my skin! Even the lightest shade was too dark! There were orange/brown tints! It looked disgusting on my skin! Visible dry patches! I loved the coverage, but the shade and finish (dry skin patches) was a huge blunder.

I highly DO suggest it to people who have oily skin and can find it in the right shade. People with pale skin, dry skin/normal/combination with dry patches should NOT buy this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 11:24:00 PM More reviews by jter391

I used to use this in highschool and loved it. Since my skin has been looking pretty good, I decided to use a light powder and I went back to this. I use this and I set it with Skindinavia setting spray. It lasts all day. The only downside it that it breaks very easily. Every single one I have ever used has broken. But it is cheap so I can buy another without going broke.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2010 11:16:00 AM More reviews by charlie1206

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

I brought this a long time ago but this foundation is not made for black women at all. I brought this in the darkest shade they had and i look soo ashy nad a hot mess. It did not cover up any ance marks or make my skin look flawless .. this was a waste off 7 bucks

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by indiechick1111

I hate this product....I only used it once and it was too dark for my skin color and it was messy. I seriously threw it away in the trash it was soo useless to me. I would NOT recommend this product to anyone who has an oily nose.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/4/2010 10:37:00 AM More reviews by aleriene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i don't why i tried to use a powder foundation, b/c every time i have used one i didn't like it. i guess i was just desperate b/c i have been trying to find something to replace my favorite, maybelline pure makeup, which was discontinued....i actually did find something that i liked almost as much ( covergirl clean makeup liquid oil control) but this wasn't it. it was too dark, even in the lightest shade, and it didn't really cover anything up, but it did make it obvious that i was wearing makeup with the powdery look and it made me pores stand out. to me, it just looked like my face was dirty and powdery, and i don't like that look...so i only used it one time...it may work great for people who aren't as pale as i am, or who like the powdery finish, but not for me. i really wish i could return it, but i can't, so if someone would like mine, just pay shipping and i would be glad to send it to you! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2010 10:50:00 PM More reviews by cady19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

**Edit: I forgot to mention - I recently discovered that this is tested on animals & I'm trying to stop using anything tested on animals so I will not be repurchasing this.**
I have used this on and off since the 8th grade and I'm now halfway through college. I wear the Ivory 605 shade which i believe is the lightest one. I love that it's very natural looking and never looks powdery or chalky like a lot of others do. Also, it is definitely a pressed powder and there isn't a lot of loose powder flying everywhere, like several others I've tried have done. I use the sponge it comes with and I've never had a problem with it applying oddly (but then I prefer sponges to brushes). It is somewhat buildable to cover slight redness/small spots but definitely has fairly light coverage. I love the oil control aspect - I have to reapply after about 4-5 hours if I'm having a more oily day but it definitely works great once its on. It didn't break me out at all but then again I tend to have very good skin already and mostly use it to even out my skintone. I think it could work on a wide range of people & ages but the packaging is a little more on the younger side. I do like the size of the package, but it would benefit from a sleeker more sophisticated appearance - however that is only superficial and certainly doesn't affect the quality of the product.

Overall, I think this is a good powder foundation available in a drugstore brand that will work for a wide range of people.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2010 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

This is just about the best you can get for a powder foundation. What can I say about it?
It...
-Doesn't cake/chalk
not on pimples, not on scabs, not on dry skin, and doesn't make concealer obvious like some powders do
-does not oxidize or look gray (fyi I'm pale and olive skinned; I don't know about darker skinned ladies)
-barely looks like a powder when wearing
-It lasts all day!! I was so sad that I forgot to put the compact in my purse today for touch ups but when I got home my oily cheeks were barely poking through (fyi this is an 11hr day)!
-Light to medium coverage. Depending on how heavy your hand or how much you want (it's buildable without looking caked on)
-covers pink (slight redness) and large pores. For pimples and under eye circles I'd suggest a concealer.
-does not break me out (that is if I wash or change the sponge applicator once it gets fully dirty; if I forget I get pimples)
I've personally have never had a compact of this break on me. I've bought it about fives times now. I keep one in my purse and one in my make-up drawer.
Edit: I did stop using this because not only was it too dark but the color was pink on my olive skin :(
2/29/12 update: I haven't worn this for a while. I wish I could. It's such a good powder foundation. It covers, looks natural, doesn't cake..etc. It's just that I can't have make-up that transfers at work and this does horribly. Still a favorite and I still keep several on hand for when I want a quick 5-10 minute routine on my days off.