Unrefined Shea Butter

4.5

Shea buttah.

on 1/23/2012 7:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Best find this month. It's keeping me moisturized this winter when nothing else was. 5 stars.

on 12/29/2011 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have been dealing with acne/ dry skin/rosacea since 12-I get cystic on chin black head all over and comedones all over
I have been using shea 1 month with FABULOUS results
I purchased at Whole Foods and the brand is Alaffia
I rotate this nightly with retin A and Im happy this combats the flakies and gives my skin a glow-/girlfriends have commented on the smoothness and tone of my skin
You actually feel it nourishing your skin
I felt compelled to share this with women who understand the struggle for beautifil skin
Highly highly recommended
PS i dare you to name one skin care line I didnt try lol

on 8/23/2011 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I have used this on my hair and for my skin, so I have two seperate reviews:

1. Hair
My hair is long (MBL), texlaxed (relaxed, but not bone straight) and extremely thick. I used this in its plain form and whipped and it leaves my hair very greasy as opposed to soft like others have experienced. It's almost like it sits on top of the hair rather than absorb. Because of this, it can cause major buildup in my hair. For hair, I give it 2 lippies.

2. Skin
Excellent skin moisturizer, especially for those suffering from eczema. It absorbs and gives the skin a healthy, moisturized glow. I am not crazy about the smell, but for the results that it gives, I am willing to tolerate it. I use it on my skin and on my lips and it is especially helpful during the dry winter months. For skin, I give it 5 lippies.

The price is amazing and since you don't need a ton to do the job, it is cost efficient. I highly recommend as a skin care aid, but I do not for hair care. I believe that it works better for natural hair.

on 8/23/2011 9:05:00 AM

I'm using 100% organic raw shea butter. I purchased it from a fairtrade site and it was reasonably priced.

It's a great moisturiser after the shower, instantly melts into skin and softens. I can't count on it's effectiveness in terms of stretchmarks etc as I've only been using it for about two weeks and can't really comment further other than its a good moisturiser.

I wouldn't use it on my face. It's pretty greasy and the few times I tried it on my face it made my skin too shiny and break out. I wouldn't use it on my hair either! It would probably leave an awful residue 'feeling' making it feel quite greasy too.

on 8/18/2011 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have been using raw shea butter for almost 2 years now and I love it! I have an 8 year old with severe eczema. He is very sensitive to lotions and creams (we've tried EVERYTHING) so I decided to try something simple and natural, shea butter. The scent does not bother me because it fades. Occasionally I whip the shea butter with olive oil, aloe vera, tea tree oil, and almond oil with a handmixer and it works wonders for my son! Word of advice: if you are using it for eczema pair it with a raw shea butter soap for best results. I use Shea Moistures raw shea butter bar soap and it's amazing!

I also use raw shea butter for myself mixed with baby oil and/or equal amount of cocoa butter (not raw, palmers) and I love the results. As many said it also makes a great nightime moisturizer/eye cream. I don't use it on my face during the day because I get oil (which is why I gave it a 4) but at night, it's nothing but perfection!

on 7/28/2011 3:25:00 PM

Shea butter is amazing! Great all purpose moisturizer. But what I use it for the most, believe it or not, is eye cream! My eye area is really sensitive and even the most expensive eye creams irritate it and make it look worse. Not shea butter! I know I can count on it to keep my eye area supple, moisturized and wrinkle free! The trick is to warm it up in your hand before applying otherwise you are just dragging it across your skin. And not only is it completely natural, but also cheap and cheerful!! Yay, thumbs up!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I love this stuff. I got a 16 oz jar of Shea Butter last year while visiting Atlanta, and I still have half of it left. I use it when I get out of the shower on the bottom of my feet to keep them soft and callus free. If my hair is dull/dry, I use a dime sized amount on the ends of my hair. Only a small amount is needed to achieve the amount of moisture that my skin and hair needs. I don't use this as a lotion, since I have sensitive skin and sometimes, this makes my skin itch. Others use this product to define their natural curly hair texture. If you have natural hair, this is a must have.

on 6/4/2011 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Shea Butter has many uses but the one thing I love it for is a night-time moisturizer! You only need a tiny bit and it leaves my skin feeling so hydrated and smooth. It doesn't break me out and my skin feels like silk when I wake up the next morning. It's great for fine lines and preventing those wrinkles too. I occasionally use it on my hair mixed with some olive oil and my hair is left feeling like satin after washing, but it can be somewhat difficult to wash out. Also great for rashes, mosquito bites, eczema, dry patches of skin, nail cuticle cream. I pay about 10 for a chunk of pure unrefined shea butter and it lasts me for the entire year.

on 4/7/2011 7:35:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I use this as a night-time moisturizer after cleansing for my normal/combo skin and it works really well...so hydrating without feeling heavy or sticky (unless you apply too much). Leaves my skin so soft and supple when I wake up in the morning. I have very breakout-prone sensitive skin and pure unrefined shea butter does *not* irritate it. Just take a small bit, rub it between your fingers until it melts and pat on the face, then gently it out, blending it in. The smell doesn't bother me, it's quite a nice nutty smell.

I also use it as a hair mask once a month by mixing it with manuka honey, olive and coconut oil. Leaves my hair amazingly soft and silky and shiny. I put it on dry hair and leave it on for about 3 hours before rinsing off.

on 3/28/2011 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I used organic unrefined ivory (as opposed to yellow) shea butter as a night-time moisturizer for three days, and on the morning of the third day, I noticed I had quite a bit of cystic acne brewing under the surface. Nothing else in my routine changed, and I never have cystic acne. I considered this might be a "purge" period, similar to using the Oil Cleansing Method, but I have no patience for a purge period right now.

I will never put shea butter on my face again! However, I recommend it because it's worth a shot. I believe everyone's skin is different, and shea butter might be a miracle worker on someone else's skin. I also lovely the natural, nutty, smoky smell of shea butter.

Shea butter is wonderful night-time body moisturizer though, especially on my dry heels. I will continue to repurchase for that. I haven't tried it on my hair.

Also, I use shea butter as an ingredient for my handmade, all-natural soaps, and it makes my soaps feel very moisturizing, so I will always continue to purchase shea butter.

Popular Hair Products