December 19, 2014 | 848 users online

Hair Treatments - Avanti- Silicon Mix

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2011 9:53:00 PM More reviews by EternityintheRain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Like most people here, I've found this by way of Dominican hairstylists or their beauty supplies. I have transitioning 3c/4a/relaxed hair and I don't like this. At all. It gives me no "slip", doesn't really moisturize my hair, and it leaves it feeling rough and plasticky. Even when my hair was completely relaxed I didn't like it. I like my hair to feel soft and moisturized, and this left it far from that. This is wonderful stuff for people with curly hair though, curly as in loose, springy, and tangles easily. A cousin of mine, a gorgeous Greek girl, has corkscrew curls that tangle like nothing else. I was doing her hair one day and this left her hair gorgeous, shiny and bouncy. Her curls were well defined and in some parts wavy. She loved this and forced me to give her the tub my mom got for me. I gladly gave it away.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2011 1:45:00 AM More reviews by WalkingOnADream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

This is not a conditioner. It's pure mineral oil for detangling the hair. It does nothing for the hair but soften it. My stylist told me this type of conditioner is not for long term use.

Make sure to buy a clarifying shampoo if you decide to purchase this. This conditioner will leave silicones sitting on your hair. Blocking all the good stuff from penetrating.

I found this for $3 in a beauty supply store tried it. It soften my hair but over a month period I notice my hair became hard. When I went to the salon my stylist said I had silicone build up. Which blocked moisture from penetrating my hair. The funny thing is I never even mentioned the Silicone Mix to her until after, she mention the buildup. In the trash it went!!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2010 4:12:00 PM More reviews by JCPrincess318

I have visited a Domenican salon and they used this product on me and I must say I was happy when it was used. Then I wound up finding it online, buying it and wound up HATING IT! We had a snowstorm, and well being that I was stuck in the house for the longest time...I conditioned my hair and dryed and styled....then fell alseep. I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible migrane due to the smell of this all over my pillow. Forget it...what a waste of money and silcones!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 11:13:00 AM More reviews by NancyGooGoo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is AMAZING on my relaxed hair! The woman who does my hair isn't Dominican but Haitian, and she LOVES this stuff in my hair! After leaving it in my hair for about 15 minutes, when she rinses it out, my hair is like silk! The comb-though just glides down through my hair and the scent is pretty nice, too! LOVE this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2009 9:20:00 AM More reviews by sammy1019

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Awesome product! I have been using this product for years and it has completely changed my hair. I have very thick, curly and tends to be frizzy hair. Before using this, my hair was dry and unmanageable. Now it has been completely mended, it's shiny, soft, the texture has completely changed. I was recently told my one of the ladies in the beauty supply store I purchase this from, that a good idea is to use this with another hair treatment (avocado, coconut, papaya, etc.) and leav it in for an hour or so and the results are even better! Sometimes I use this as a treatment ususally just as a normal conditioner. Love it! totally recommend it and will continue to repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2009 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Sirenas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is actually a decent conditiones, however it is called Silicone, so yeah its full of cones, but its pretty good if you need a cheap conditioner to do the job. I actually grab this one instead of my lovely Terax Crema after I come from the beach or any other activities that makes my hair full of knots. For reference, I have a lot of hair and extremely long, and I take care of it a lot and only try and find the best products since now its a little unhealthy looking cause of some highlights I got. This conditioner is pretty good for the money, and your hair will slip, slip, slip in the shower as you comb it through, and it will coat your hair and leave it extremely shiny and soft. I always find myself reaching for this when I have too many knots, it does miracles for that but I do not like the result of finding my bathtub full of loss hair at the end :/

rated 2 of 5 on 7/26/2009 8:47:00 PM More reviews by lupita1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was very impressed this product becasue it had slip and made my curls managable after washing. what i did notice however this product is a quick fix band aid. If you are looking to nourish and make your hair healthy um this product is not for you. Sure it will make your hair shiny from all the cones it has in it (which too much eventually is bad) but it is not strengthing your hair or really have an impact to making your hair healthy in mmy opinion. After switching organic (alaffia virgin coconut & shea line) i saw avanti had no value on my hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2009 10:07:00 AM More reviews by sunshine824

I saw the hype over this product on different hair boards and decided to try it. For me it lives up to the hype and then some!

I've tried many conditioners from high end(Aveda and Redken) to cheapy drugstore(VO5 and Suave). This is the only one that is labeled as a "treatment" that I can say actually QUALIFIES as a treatment. It leaves my naturally culy, frizzy, dry biracial hair soft, smoooooooth, silky, bling bling shiny, with a gorgeous scent that lasts forever!

I have to disagree that this product is mostly silicones as the ingredients are as follows from my jar:
Water, Mineral Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerine, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethycone Copolyol, Cyclomethicone, Keratin, Ceramide, Diazolidinyl Urea, (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

So you can see that the silicones are pretty far down the list of ingredients (8th and 9th).

Based on reviews here and on other hair boards, the reviews by those with natural hair seem to be more positive while those with relaxed hair is more negative. Likewise, even though my hair is dry, I've found many products geared towards those with extra dry, *processed* hair to do nothing for me and only leave a coating on my hair.

Also, while the smell is gorgeous - like rosewater, very clean - it can be overwhelming and annoying at times even though I like it. To give you an idea - after my hair is dry I will add another conditioner as a leave-in. No matter how strong the scent is(Herbal Essences & Garnier Fructis), the dominating scent is still the Silicon Mix. So I removed 1 lippie for that. Otherwise it's perfect!

Will definitely repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/19/2009 10:22:00 AM More reviews by glossnmascaragal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm relaxed and this did absolutely NOTHING for my hair. Complete garbage that dried my hair out, it was a mess. This does however work wonders for my natural 4z dh. It gave him so much slip and I didn't think slip was possible with his uber picky hair! So I gave it a 3 star because it worked so well for hubby, but sucked eggs for me. The smell is a plus too

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2009 8:27:00 PM More reviews by Liita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My mom had this, I once used it and didnīt do anything special for my hair plus I hate the smell, itīs hideous... I donīt get the hype, everytime my aunt comes here (Iīm in DR where SM is manufactured) or somebody is going to the States from here, she buys a huge jar of this along with the shampoo and conditioner, didnīt know this was so popular there, I prefer 10 en 1 or Emergencia... that works wonders, my hair is relaxed, I just put some and go to the hair drier for 10 mins and my hair gets soft and pretty.