April 19, 2014 | 1908 users online

Treatments - Avanti- Silicon Mix

rated 3 of 5 on 5/19/2009 10:22:00 AM More reviews by glossnmascaragal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm relaxed and this did absolutely NOTHING for my hair. Complete garbage that dried my hair out, it was a mess. This does however work wonders for my natural 4z dh. It gave him so much slip and I didn't think slip was possible with his uber picky hair! So I gave it a 3 star because it worked so well for hubby, but sucked eggs for me. The smell is a plus too

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2009 8:27:00 PM More reviews by Liita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My mom had this, I once used it and didnīt do anything special for my hair plus I hate the smell, itīs hideous... I donīt get the hype, everytime my aunt comes here (Iīm in DR where SM is manufactured) or somebody is going to the States from here, she buys a huge jar of this along with the shampoo and conditioner, didnīt know this was so popular there, I prefer 10 en 1 or Emergencia... that works wonders, my hair is relaxed, I just put some and go to the hair drier for 10 mins and my hair gets soft and pretty.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2009 8:19:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I gave this 3/5 because it was OK. Didnt blow me away. Very, VERY coney. I mean, its called Silicon Mix. :) Thats waht it is - a mix of silicones with keratin and carrying agents to take it to your hair shaft, then coat your cuticle with cones. ts a heavy, creamy mild scented deep conditioner (protein based) for hair. Manufactured in Santo Domingo.

I used it for a few deep conditioning treatments with heat, under the dryer, and while I didn't have any major problems with not using it, it was exactly what I expected for the cost. I guess its the same way I feel when I use a cheapie V05 conditioner for a conditioner wash. :/ I get exactly what I expect. No serious tangles, but no street stopping detangle action either.

However, I would prefer ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak to this treatment - for my hair, the results provided a smoother cuticle, less tangles, soft hydrated hair with just enough protein to hold the moisture in. And the cost is decent, I think thats like $10?

Right now my favorites DCs are Kenra Moisturizing for a Moisturizing DC, Phtyospecific Vital Force for a protein based DC. I like Olive Oil ORS as a nice in between balancing treatment. Would recommend that if this product doesnt work for users, that they try ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak/Conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2009 4:09:00 PM More reviews by danysedai

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using a huge jar of this for more than a year now and I have to disagree with the poster below in regards to black women wanting quality products for their hair. I use Kerastase and Alter Ego(my love) and Alfaparf and Silicon Mix, and I have to say that I reach for Silicon Mix more than I do for my expensive conditioners.And while it is true that Kerastase is VERY good to my hair,Silicon Mix is also great,specially for the slip that it gives and even more when I clarify before using it.My hair dresser is coming back from the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks and I asked her for the biggest SM jar she can find. The smell is perfumey but I love it.I will never be without it again.

My hair is 4a/relaxed/dyed black(lots of grey).

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2009 9:06:00 AM More reviews by opticana

I tend to color my hair often and was looking for a conditoner that would make my hair shiny and healthy looking. Guess what? This product did it.I have thin straight hair so products tend to leave my hair oily looking. Not this one. It rinses off well. I've tried some of the expensive lines and honestly this product made my hair softer and not oily looking. Now I'm using the full line, shampoo, conditoner, leave in conditioner, and shine drops. I'm really happy with it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2009 10:28:00 AM More reviews by Twilight36

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Always hearing all this hype abput Dominican products and what they do for black/african american relaxed hair.

Tried this. Left me a little dry. Didnt detangle as well and Loreal intense repair, Bumble super rich or masquintense. I was eager to like it b/c its cheap but it's really not the equal of those other products.

does smell very good and the smell last allllll week.

More like the poor mans version of them. Oh well. I intend to try miss Keys 10 en 1 as well as lacio lacio leave in which i hear is great.

To extent I think the hype about this on Black hair discussion boards is only b/c black people are starved for good products targeting their hair type.

Anyone who thinks this is good needs to try Kerastase Masquintense which though I was eager to like the cheaper silicone Mix, I must confess Masquintense to be better in EVERY way. It detangles better. It moisturizes better! Bumble and Bumble Super Rich is also better.

Final line: Not bad but not particularly special either. Better stuff out there. Only cost $8

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2009 2:22:00 PM More reviews by Katt73

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this stuff! It is excellent for detangling and makes my coarse, relaxed hair very easy to comb through while wet. I love the smell, as does my fiance. I wouldn't use this to deep condition my hair, but it's great for when I want a quick five-minute conditioner. I wish it came in a bottle instead of a tub that I have to scoop from...that's my only complaint.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2008 8:46:00 PM More reviews by dharbo

I grew up using this hair treatment and still I believe its one of the best ones out there. Although the fragrance is strong, it does soften as you rinse it off. The texture is like a cream, it feels light but is a very intensive conditioner. Your hair will smell and look like you went to a salon. My curls ALWAYS look great after using this. It's because I'm addicted to beauty products that I experiment with other brands. But I always come back to Silicon Mix. It enhances shine in the hair and also helps with frizziness. I use it only once a week because I have thin/med thickness hair and it can weigh the hair down if over used, that's how intesive it is. I have never been disappointed when using this product.