April 18, 2014 | 1963 users online

Polishes - Essie - Mademoiselle

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by megabookfreak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a GREAT nail polish but for only a certain kind of person/ occasion.

This polish doesn't exactly show up on my nails. It's just very shiny with just a hint of a color. It's exactly what I need for a professional work environment because it makes your nails look GOOD but not like casual and fun I guess. If you're looking for color on your nails, steer clear of this one but its really good if you have a business professional dress code and specially for interviews!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 2:05:00 AM More reviews by Jexka

This is an alright polish, but it's not really for me. I've heard a lot of great things about this shade, and while I'll admit it is nice, it's nothing spectacular.
I used this the other day when I was staying at my grandma's house. I had an important meeting the next day and wanted to use a polish that would be neutral and look professional, so when I found this in her stash I decided to try it. Honestly, it is pretty good for a quick, easy, pretty much foolproof neutral manicure. The color is almost nonexistent -- this polish is basically clear, with just a little bit of milky pinkness to it. I used three coats to make my nails look polished, shiny, and glossy. I wish it had a little more color, but I think you could layer this all day long and it would never be totally opaque.
I did have an issue with this bubbling very badly. It bubbled so much that a few of my nails actually feel bumpy, even with a top coat on. It's not noticeable from far away, but I definitely notice it and don't like it.
I love color on my nails and I really don't like the look of bare nails, so this isn't for me. It would be a nice base for a French manicure, but I don't do those on myself so this shade would be worthless for me to buy myself. If you're very low maintenance with your nails and don't like to wear dramatic colors, then I would recommend this; just be careful with application to try to prevent the bubbling.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/13/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by dee0219

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This polish gets rave reviews, but I am not sure it is worth all of the hype. I agree that is is a very nice color for the base of a french manicure, but doesn't seem to stack up for any other purpose.

The first coat has practically zero pigment. It was a slightly warmer color than a clear polish, but was still essentially clear. It takes about 3 or 4 coats to get anything remotely resembling a hint of color on the nails. Even then, the color is very subtle, giving off a "your-nails-but-better" look, and at the most, leaves you with a creamy pink, understated-but-still-there wash of color that looks better than bare nails.

For an opaque pink, I suggest Essie's "Fiji"

As for Mademoiselle, I'm not in love. It's not bad, but it doesn't quite fit what I am looking for in a nail polish. I may wear this at my wedding, using it for a french manicure -- but I don't think this will fit in my polish rotation very often.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2012 6:40:00 PM More reviews by twobluestripes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this without trying it in the store (oops) when I was looking for a more opaque pale ballet pink for work. It looked so milky and creamy in the bottle that I just assumed it was an opaque creme. Well, tried it on at home and it was SO sheer, almost clear. But not quite clear enough to prevent streaks on my 3 coat application. I just couldn't seem to get it even.
I only paid $4 at the salon supply for it. I would be very disappointed if I had paid full price. I will continue to search for the pink I want, and meanwhile, I will try this out over white tips as a french manicure, which is also a good option for my work. Perhaps it will go on less streaky when I am not trying so hard to actually make it be a nail "color". But would not repurchase. I was pretty surprised to find the color I was disappointed in had won all these awards!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2012 6:12:00 AM More reviews by gerbothree

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This polish is takes a while to dry and really looks best with 3 coats.

The fully cured and dried finish is incredibly durable.

I am still wondering at the popularity of this stealth polish.

If I commit 40 minutes or so to 3 coats should it not look like I applied nail polish?

I am now looking for an opaque shimmery blue pink with lots of pigment.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by lulu94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

If I could only wear one polish the rest of my life, this would be it. I probably wouldn't even be that disappointed. It goes with anything; a sheer, pale pink that's kind of nude on my cool NW15 skin. It takes 3-4 coats to get good color pay off but that's ok because it is not streaky, so if you do two one day and two the next, they'll look fine both days. It's also long-wearing and SUPER shiny, even without a topcoat. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2012 5:12:00 PM More reviews by kolwink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For a decade, I owned two nail polishes: a clear by Revlon, and "Blackberry Wine Frost" by Sally Hansen. I rarely used either, because- thanks to my dad- I have genes that give me really small and oddly-shaped nails. Plus I tend to trim them *really* short, to the point where everyone accuses me of biting them, or wonders incredulously how they are not actively bleeding.

The point is, I don't think I have nails which are really worth showcasing. (Although, as yet another tangent, my introduction to MUA came several years ago. I could not find a new bottle of Blackberry Wine Frost ANYWHERE, so in despair I created a MUA account and posted a "help!" message. Later that same day, somebody awesome went out and bought 2 bottles from her local CVS in, like, Cincinnati. She mailed 'em to me straight off and wouldn't accept payment! I did end up sending her a couple bars of Ghirardelli chocolate from SF though. Anyway, that was my first experience with MUA, which is awesome.)

So, to continue my long story. I wear nail polish like once every few months, always the Sally Hansen deep red.

Then one day I started reading about how nail polish formulas have been changing. Essie and OPI seemed to be the most reliable in going "3 free" and ditching dibutyl phthalate, toluene and formaldehyde. That seemed like a great idea, and I decided to switch.

However, I don't like buying things I won't use regularly, so I spent far too much time researching the perfect nail polish. In the end, I stuck to my conservative, unadventurous, follow-the-herd-or-at-least-magazine-editors, "Best of 2011 sez Instyle Magazine!" ways, and bought Mademoiselle.

Yeah, I'm finally getting around to reviewing the actual product in question!

What I am quite pleased with:
- this polish makes my nails look like themselves, only better
- they look rosy and polished and shiny and healthy
- the whole "3 free" thing

This was my first experience with Essie polish, and everything I'd read- good LORD there are a lot of nail blogs out there, people take polish very seriously- prepared me for how runny, thin, and prone to streakiness the formulas were. Yup. Well, I was prepared, but still had some trouble, since I don't really know the best way for putting on polish, apparently. But I eventually figured out that one thin coat seemed to suit my needs.

Since I don't use (or, um, own) base coat or top coat, that could be the reason why the polish started wearing and chipping off within three days. That or the large number of dishes I had to wash after a dinner party. I distinctly remember scrubbing a large pressure cooker with wire mesh- do you think that could have shortened the life of my manicure?

Perhaps. Anyway, I am joining the chorus to say that Mademoiselle is a really nice, subdued, low-key nail polish. Truly the "like your own nails but better" option.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by cheeky

this is my second essie nail polish, and i do like it a lot, but it's much lighter than i thought it would be. it definitely does not look like the color of the bottle for whatever reason, still a really pretty nude though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2012 3:08:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very sheer, milky baby pink on my nails. I love to wear this when I wanna give my nails a break from color, but I still want my nails to look done. Formula wasn't too liquidy or too goopy, dried pretty quick. Pretty color but I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 8:56:00 PM More reviews by chloie9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Perfect transparent milky pink shade for a natural manicure. I have bought OPI Bubble Bath in the past, but I happened to buy this Essie shade just because the shop I happened to be in didn't carry OPI. Very nice color. Works well with my pale/neutral coloring, neither to warm nor too cool a pink shade. Good alternate to Bubble Bath. If you want an opaque milky pink, this is not it. You'd probably have to apply 4 or 5 coats to come anywhere near opaque. This is meant to be transparent for a natural or French manicure. 1 or 2 coats of this is perfect for a natural nail look-my naturally white tips show through and aren't made too pink.