August 2, 2014 | 999 users online

Conditioner - Dabur Vatika Hair Oil

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2011 8:55:00 PM More reviews by DeeplyRooted

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased the Vatika oil from a local Indian grocer for $3.99 with the intention of using it as a pre-poo. After washing and blowdrying my hair, I emulsified a bit in my hands, rubbed through my hair and loved the feel! As a result, I started using it nightly in the same manner. I love that it doesn't weigh my hair down and make it look/feel greasy, and the scent isn't overpowering. After about a week, however, I began to experience scalp itchiness and tenderness. For this reason I am giving the oil 3 lippies, until I can figure out if the oil is causing the itchiness.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2011 9:46:00 AM More reviews by Aurora901

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A staple in my hair stash. I love, love lurv this stuff!!

Smell: It smells like a sweet coconut with a bit of a tang.

Packaging: When its cold it is difficult to get out of the bottle but... you can use a stick (chopstick) or warm the bottle up in warm water, its not a big problem for me. When its warm though it's a liquid, so its only 'troublesome' in autumn/winter weather.

Results & Uses: I use it to seal in moisture and to deal with dry hair. Its good to detangle and give slip. No complaints here.

:) I recommend this to anyone who wants a happy middle ground between cheap coconut oil (which doesn't have the best smell or the best quality properties) and virgin coconut oil (which is pricey but great.smells and tastes lovely, with lots of lovely benefits ... I like eating it more than applying it on my body) ... so yeah, a staple in my hair product list.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2011 2:47:00 PM More reviews by hiddencat2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this stuff- I used this a couple of years ago and stopped using it for some reason but recently found an online source for it and stocked up on several bottles. I have fine hair, issues with seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, and have been shedding a lot more than usual lately. I run my bottle under hot water for a few minutes, slather it on and leave it on overnight. When I wake up I wash and condition as usual, and when my hair dries it feels buttery soft and silky. After a few used my scalp is less flaky, less oily and less itchy. Still waiting to see if it has any effect on the shedding, but Vatika definitely has a long term home in my routine.

Not crazy about the smell, but that's the only thing I don't love about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2011 12:28:00 PM More reviews by aladie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This stuff saved my hair! I have long, fine dark blonde hair that I recently had highlighted. I only wanted to go a little lighter but the lady went crazy and highlighted my whole head. I was sooo blonde! I didn't like the way may hair looked or felt after the mega highlight. My hair wasn't shiny anymore. It felt really rough and stripped. I did a deep protein conditioner 2 days after the highlight with my Ion Solutions from Sally's. A few days later I used my Dabur Vatika and left it on with a shower cap over it for about 3 hours. I shampooed and conditioned as usual with my Pureology (the green one). When I blow dried my hair I noticed an immediate improvement! My hair was shiny again!!! I use this stuff about once a week and leave it on for a few hours. My hair looks and feels healthy again- and for $4 ?! HG for sure

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2011 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Chickadee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this stuff!! I put it in my hair in the evening, and then wash it out before bed. I shampoo 2x to get this stuff out, and it rinses out well this way. Smells nice. Makes my hair feel stronger, and leaves it shiny. I try to do this 2x a week. For reference, my hair is wavy curly, and I never heat style my hair. I got this for $3.99 at the local Indian market.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2011 8:23:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

Why make a product that hardens in a bottle? You have to either put the bottle in hot water to get any out or try and dig your finger into the small opening at the top. Ridiculous.
The smell is definitely a mix between coconut oil and a strange lemony tangy scent. It would serve well as a fragrance for washing up liquid but as a hair oilit's not that bad either, definitely not worse than the smell of pure coconut oil on your hair after a few days.
As I have mentioned in my many other reviews (I think) my hair loves moisture. This claims to give moisture but instead did nothing but...well i'm not sure. Using it alone I think I may have put too much on because my hair started to feel greasy instead of soft BUT after I rewashed it after leaving it in for 15 minutes my hair was soft. I'm thinking it's good for a deep conditioner or mixed with shea, olive oil, caster oil but alone, my hair didn't like it.

2 WEEK UPDATE
I relaxed my hair and used this as part of my deep conditioner with my Olive oil replenishing conditioner/olive oil mix. As I washed ti out I noticed my hair felt rough and hard. I know it wasn;t my conditioner mix because my hair loves that so I rewashed my hair and reapplied my conditioner and dried my hair and it was fine.
This oil has apparently stopped working before I even really started using it a lot. Throwing it out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this oil. It works, coconut oil is the primary ingredient, with lemon, amla, and henna too Ithink.

But you can get just as good results by buying coconut oil and using that for hot oil treatments/leave in. Also, you have an unfiltered coconut oil supply that you can use for other things (skin, nails, food, oil cleansing, etc.).

All in all, I would recommend as it is a good quality. But if you like making your dollar stretch, you could also just buy coconut oil at Vitacost for $4 for 16 oz and add in whatever you want (lemon, rose, amla powder, etc.) for extra effects.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2011 10:53:00 AM More reviews by sportys

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried several different hair oil treatements. I usually leave the oil overnight or for 2-5 hours. Parachute cocnut oil was ok, I found it left my scalp a little dry. However the Dabur Vatika was great, never leaves it dry, and my hair always looks shinier and fuller after an application. I only use it every 2-3 months, I should be using it every other week, ideally!
It does have a coconut/herbal small, which I don't mind so much, but your spouse might ;-)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2010 9:44:00 PM More reviews by amaralice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Deep Conditioner heaven! Love it. Available at Lakshmi's Cupboard online store for $2.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2010 8:31:00 PM More reviews by gate403

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This stuff is great! It's a million times better than the other hair oil produced by this company called 'Dabur Amla Hair Oil'. That one is plain mineral oil, canola and dyes with a tiny bit of amla while this is coconut oil and lots of herbal extracts (including amla) and all natural. I finished a bottle of the other stuff through habit and really saw no difference. But I've just started using this Vatika and it's amazing. It's also better than parachute hair oil, because it has herbs and parachute does not. I like to use this as a pre-poo treatment and also put a tiny bit through my hair as a serum. My hair is much more manageable and soft nowadays. It's also ridiculously cheap if you can find it at an Indian grocer's.