February 27, 2015 | 1270 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2015 10:57:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference, I have dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin. This product didn't break me out, but it didn't work with my skin type in general.

After hearing a lot of raves for this product, I decided to pick up a sample from Sephora. I have tested it with several different base products (UD Naked Skin, Hourglass's own tinted moisturizer, loose powder foundation) and have come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work for me.

In the past, face primers have not done much for me so I tested this out by only using it on one half of my face. I saw no difference in the size of my pores, and while my face felt smoother if I brushed it with my fingers I didn't notice any difference during application of my following makeup products. Further (and this is partially my fault as this product does advertise that it will absorb excess oil) this completely dried out my skin, making my base makeup flake and look cakey. There was an extreme difference between the two sides of my face regardless of what products I used over this primer, and each time the side with primer looked worse.

Overall, this may be too drying for anyone with dehydrated or dry skin. I didn't see any noticeable difference in the smoothness of my makeup or the size of my pores either. From my experience, I think Hourglass's veil mineral primer would be best suited for someone with oily skin who has trouble getting makeup to stay.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2015 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Dentalhygienist84

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Went to Sephora and I found it to be expensive so I wasn't going to buy it. As I was waiting in line I noticed a smaller size and the price was reasonable so I purchased it. It is ok. Nothing special, there are other brands that do the same job. I don't use it often so the smaller size works well for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2015 4:39:00 PM More reviews by Carmen0

This is a very pricey primer in my opinion but for me it's a HG. I have oily combo skin because for the extreme cold now I'm getting dry flakes on my nose. This primer seems to blur out the dryness and gives me a natural matte for the rest of my face. When ever I get a chance I get sample packets or burn points to get a mini bottles and I wait for Sephora sales.. As I said this is HG for me. NYX has a primer very similar for for $15 I love that one as well however it's not exact.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2015 10:55:00 AM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Absolutely horrible for me! I bought the full size last year based on the reviews, and it sucked so bad, I had to return it. I'm combination (was oilier back then, but a bit dehydrated), and all areas I had put it on turned flakey instantly, I was unable to put foundation on top because the texture of my skin was disgusting.
Recently I received a travel size from a friend, and since I had forgotten the experience I had with it previously, I tried using it again. Same disaster happened. I had to run wash my face and redo everything, because my skin showed flakes I didn't know I had.

I can't talk about lasting power, or how it acts as a primer, because I was never able to leave it on for more than a few seconds.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2015 2:14:00 AM More reviews by Alura21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is an interesting primer. I like using this alone to balance oil or under makeup to help with foundation application. I don't feel like this helps my makeup longer but where I notice the biggest difference is that I don't need to touch up as often and my skin isn't oily.

I do have to shake the bottle before each use or the primer is very runny.

I like to apply this primer all over my face first then use Benefit's PoreFessional on my cheeks where my pores look bigger. This combo seems to work really well. If I use just the PoreFessional, I feel way more oily mid day than when I use both together.

The texture of the primer is somewhat oily-ish feeling but a little goes a long way. It does have a faint scent but it's not bad and dissipates quickly. I am very fair skinned but I could see this product leave a white cast on someone with darker skin potentially.

Pros:
Smoother foundation and concealer application
Less oil
Face feels very smooth
The pump container is great

Cons:
Runny if not shaken
Over priced

Current Makeup Skincare Prep Routine:

CeraVe Eye cream
Josie Maran Milk
Josie Maran Light Argan Oil
Hourglass Primer
Benefit PoreFessional

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2014 12:55:00 PM More reviews by Sara44

To be honest I hardly saw a difference with this primer, it was nice to apply but didn't really do anything for my complexion once foundation was on. Won't be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2014 12:49:00 AM More reviews by caitvu99

I honestly love this primer so much! I love wearing dewy foundations but I have pretty oily skin so it is quite difficult. But with this primer, I can wear them! This controls my oils and does a pretty good job on making my makeup last. I have school for 8 hours and I no longer have to touch up my foundation due to this primer. Only thing I hate is the price, but you get what you paid for.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2014 7:40:00 PM More reviews by cinnamin2

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This primer is absofreakinglutey the best i have ever used, i got this as a delux sample from sephora and have been using it only when i go out on special occasions and even though the price is horrible i will totally buy this product once my sample runs out. It only takes a couple of dots to cover my whole face and im left poreless and my skin looks amazing. It definitely makes my makeup last all night through sweat and tears lol.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2014 7:40:00 PM More reviews by sindoodoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I got a foil sample of this with a Sephora order. It lasted me two days. While it left a white cast on my olive-yellow-toned medium/dark brown skin, I could make the cast go away by making sure to rub it in well. It seemed to work just as well as the smashbox photo finish primer at filling in pores and lines and making makeup last longer, but with the added benefit of not breaking me out-- especially miraculous considering that I accidentally fell asleep with my make-up on both nights in a row! The smashbox primer, on the other hand, if left on overnight, inevitably causes a pimple or two.

That being said, I don't know if I'm prepared to pay $18 for 1/3 oz. of product. Maybe sometime in the future.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/3/2014 3:37:00 PM More reviews by luckyerialc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have a small version of this product. While the formula feels nice initially, my skin broke out after using it a few times. I don't usually breakout either so I knew it was this product. I also didn't see that big of an impact to my make-up when using this...definitely not worth the high price tag.