October 25, 2014 | 867 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 12:36:00 PM More reviews by OnePerfectPicture

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok a bit pricey.. but works like a charm. Wow! My foundation goes on better & lasts longer. Have tried others but they haven't performed like this one. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 1:35:00 AM More reviews by shinjukuchik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this. It's the best primer I have ever used and there's no way anything could be better. It completely covers my pores, keeps my foundation in place and my blush stays on way longer, and on top of it all it's weightless, it feels light and silky on my face. Looooveeee!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2014 7:27:00 PM More reviews by huggabledust

holy grail primer, hands down, no questions asked. the formula is so silky and makes my foundation look as flawless as beyonce. i apply this and wait a good ten minutes before applying foundation just to make sure nothing slips around. it costs an arm and a leg but if you use sparingly in only the areas that you really need it it can easily last you a few months. 10/10 would recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2014 6:48:00 AM More reviews by Asianlily

I think as far as primers go, this is as good as it gets. It feels so smooth on the skin and allows foundation to glide on easily. My makeup lasts longer too! Hourglass can do so little wrong!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2014 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Sarahjuang

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this primer, it is super smooth and silky feeling without feeling oily. It makes makeup application much smoother and last longer. Although this product is super expensive ($52- 1 ounce), I would re-buy for the rest of my life. A little of this primer goes a very long way and it lasts forever. I have extremely oily skin and the day I started using this primer, I noticed a difference in the wear, and application. Not only does it help with application and longevity of my makeup, it also prevents makeup from getting into my pores and eventually my acne started to decrease.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 5:00:00 PM More reviews by lanamakoviy

This is an amazing primer. I have unpredictable skin - sometimes it can get very oily and sometimes it gets dry, however with this primer I am in total control of my skin. It minimizes the pores and leaves no traces of the BB cream and/or foundation I apply afterwards. I love that the consistency is very liquidy and gets matte very quickly. Starts working before I even proceed to putting on makeup. I definitely think that a little goes a long way and if it works for the skin definitely worth the money. I bought the travel size bottle and it lasts for a very long time. Definitely an investment!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2014 12:05:00 PM More reviews by bklyncowgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

$52 for 1 oz; $72 for 2 oz

The BEST primer out there. That simple. But I won't spend the money. I use samples.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2014 3:04:00 AM More reviews by scarattina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Why is this primer so good?? Because it doesn't make your makeup look cakey. Most silicone primers make you look like you are wearing cake makeup, so I usually don't do a primer. This one I really like. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY. Seriously, just use less than a drop...more like a bead. Otherwise it makes you look kind of oily and shiny. If you do not like touching up or have very oily skin, then you probably won't like this. I am slightly shiny every few hours, but I love glowy products and don't really care, I use them anyway! I feel that it looks better. Some people are saying it keeps them from getting oily though, so it could just be the sheen of the primer itself. I also brokeout very slightly the very first time I used it but never have since. I heard that happens sometimes with natural ingredients.

It really allows you do "glide" on your makeup, never had that with a primer or moisturizer before. It's a great product but I think it is definitely over priced for what it does, although you don't need much at all to apply, (and shouldn't!!)-I always make that mistake.

It also gives a slightly whitish cast, not as bad as BB creams, but I think the look their going for is that pretty Hourglass sheen, kind of like you are a fairy or something. I go for that :p. Infact, I would describe the effect of this primer, to kind of give you that blue-ish lighting look, when you are sitting at your computer and your makeup looks really good. I've been observing this. People who like thinner formula, "skin" foundations and bb creams will love this, and people who don't like primers will also like this.

My sister is in LOVE with this stuff. I love it too but it's not quite HG.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2014 11:21:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After hearing so many good things about this primer, I picked up a travel sized bottle ($18 for .33 oz) last time I was in Sephora to see if it could do a better job controlling the oilier areas of my combo skin than my usual primer. After using it for a week, my general thoughts on this product match my feelings for every Hourglass product I've ever tried. It's a good product, but it's too ridiculously overpriced to be worth it. Despite its claims, it doesn't do much to camouflage the large pores and acne scars I have on my nose and cheeks, doesn't really brighten or doesn't tone down my redness at all. It did keep my foundation from sinking into my pores and extended the wear of my foundation, which is always nice, but it was no better at either task than my usual primer, the super cheap Monostat Anti-Chaffing Gel.

Just to see, I applied Veil Mineral on one half of my face and Monostat Anti-Chaffing gel on the other under and wore it under three different foundations on three different days. Despite the two products not looking much alike straight out of their packaging (Veil Mineral is white rather than clear, and has the consistency of a thin lotion rather than a thick gel), they looked indistinguishable from one another on my skin, both before and after I applied my foundation. They didn't feel any different on my skin either unless I touched my face, and even that difference was minor. And there wasn't even any difference performance wise over the course of the day. The Hourglass Veil Mineral gets a lot of raves from oily skinned folks for its ability to control oil, but I didn't notice any difference on that front. I do tend to wear matte finish foundations though (plus a matte finish sunscreen underneath my primer) so perhaps if I wasn't already using products to manage my oily T-zone, the oil-control properties that make this primer so popular would have materialized. As it was, I found myself reaching for powder about 4 hours after application which isn't bad, but again, no better than a cheaper primer.

This product does contain sunscreen which will appeal to many, but honestly SPF 15 in a fancy primer is more of a flaw than a benefit in my book. I think SPF in makeup misleads a lot of people into believing that they can rely on their cosmetics for sun protection. I cringe whenever I read things like "I was never good about wearing sunscreen daily until I started using this primer/foundation/BB cream" because I seriously doubt they're using enough to get any meaningful amount of sun protection. To get the full SPF 15 protection (which is already on the low end of what we should be wearing every day), you need to be using at least a quarter teaspoon for your face and another quarter for your neck. A quarter teaspoon is an extravagant amount of product for something this expensive. Also, this primer uses Zinc Oxide as a part of its sunscreen which can (and does according to some of the reviewers) leave a white/gray cast to the skin. I didn't have this problem at all, but I wouldn't expect to since my skin is both fair and pink which makes it more tolerant of "white casts" than other skin tones,

If this product cost $20-30 less than its outrageous $52/oz price, I'd probably rate this product a 4 or maybe even a 5. Because while it's doesn't do everything I'd want my fantasy primer to do (render my pores invisible, seriously minimize redness, enable me to pull off the dewy look without looking super greasy), it does what I know I can realistically expect my primer to do pretty well. But for $52/oz, I feel I should be able to expect a product to deliver results that go beyond what I can get from products that sell for a fraction of that price. And Veil Mineral just didn't do that for me. If you've had issues with thicker silicone based primers, then maybe this product will be good for you. But if other silicone primers are already working out for you, don't try this product expecting it to be even better. It won't live up to the hype.

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 11:32:00 PM More reviews by Letty116

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this primer! Was a little hesitant due to the price, but the SA @ Sephora raved about it, so thought I would give it a try. I previously used Smashbox's photo finish primer & I thought it was a decent enough primer & always blamed my oily skin for makeup "sliding" off by the end of the day. This primer is amazing! It's silky smooth & feels great on the skin. A little goes a long way, though I dab a little extra on my t-zone. My makeup now lasts all day & I don't have to reapply or powder throughout the workday. I just went to an outdoor festival in the Florida heat & humidity & my makeup still looked great after 8 hours. I will definitely buy this again! It's worth every penny!