Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte (All)

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butyl Stearate, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyethylene, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Cera Alba (Beeswax), Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil Extract, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Stearyl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Fragrance, Behenic Acid, Paraffin, Glyceryl Stearate, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Butylene Glycol, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citric Acid, Limonene. [ /- May Contain: Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide), Ci 15850 (Red 7), Ci 15850 (Red 6), Ci 45410 (Red 28 Lake), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), Ci 17200 (Red 33 Lake), Ci 73360 (Red 30), Ci 75470 (Carmine), Ci 12085 (Red 36), Ci 15985 (Yellow 6 Lake), Ci 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), Ci 77019 (Mica), Ci 77742 (Manganese Violet), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Ci 77002 (Aluminum Hydroxide), Silica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Talc

on 7/26/2009 5:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

These lipsticks are gorgeously packaged, however.. the creamy formula can sink into lines on your lips if your prone to dryness, it shows especially in the lighter shades, for this reason i won't buy them again, but if i wanted something bright and dark, i'd get these, for light shades the look a little chalked up on my lips.

on 7/26/2009 5:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was an impulse purchase at an airport. My flight was delayed, I was bored and upset and well, I caved in and bought a travel exclusive two-pack of these. I'd seen the swatches online and was familiar with the product (and the hype), so I thought I couldn't go wrong with these. Turns out I don't like them that much, which is not to say these aren't exceptionally well made. Hence the rating - I gave them 4 lippies, but will not buy again. I'll admire their formula from afar, but the ones I bought got passed on to others.
So anyway, this is a very strange product - its main advantages for some may turn out to be its downfall for others. Talk about a full coverage lipstick! I have never in my life come across such an opaque lipstick as this. It literally paints your lips the colour you see in the tube. I don't usually shy away from opaque lip colour, but these are just too much for me. As a consequence, they are very high maintenance - they require careful application, lip liner, etc. They are very risky to touch up on the go, as such a highly pigmented colour is very unforgiving of any mistakes.
On the other hand, it's a wonderful formula - buttery smooth, nourishing, not drying in the least. I wouldn't say these are shiny or glossy, but not quite matte - maybe satin. A finish that's hard to describe. It has SPF 15 and a mild, pleasant scent.
The two shades I got are #1 Nude Beige (Beige Charnel in the Euro version) and #8 Fetish Pink. The first one made me look like a corpse even though I'm quite pale, which brings me to another flaw. The colour selection, especially the paler shades, is not universally flattering. To make this work, you need to have a specific skin tone and make sure the rest of your make-up works with your lipstick. If worn with a neutral look it almost made me invisible, but with a dramatic bold eye it turned into a goth, huge-eyes-no-lips kind of look.
The other one, Fetish pink, was better, but simply too vibrant (and maybe too blue-based?) for me. I passed it on to my mother, who is considerably darker than me and she loves it. Looks great on her, especially when she's tanned.
Overall, The Volupte is quite possibly the best lipstick formula I've ever tried, but it's too opaque and too demanding for me. For now, I'll stick to Chanel Rouge Allure, but if they ever come up with Rouge Volupte Light (or Sheer), I'll happily try it.

YSL rouge volupte lipsticks are the best lipsticks on the market, PERIOD.
packaging: drool. even has a little mirror, and the fact the color is indicated on the outside of the tube is great
pigmentation: super pigmented. one swipe does it
feel: rich and creamy
moisturizing: very
wear time: exceptional
shine: yes
spf: check

the best.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

i had wanted a rouge volupte lipstick for absolutely ages but being 20 i wanted to be sure that it was worth spending that much. i eventually caved in and purchased #8 fetish pink as i thought #7 lingerie pink would be a bit too pale and wash me out. i realllllly don't like the feeling of this product on my lips. maybe its because i'm used to MAC lipsticks which i LOVE, but this product makes me feel like i've got a lot on my lips. the texture is so soft but not to my taste. the colour payoff however is excellent and it does last.
i shall not be repurchasing. on another note, the packaging is fab

Opulent packaging. Best lipstick I have worn in all my life!

on 1/12/2009 3:17:00 PM

Got it because of all the positive reviews here. Really didn't buy into the fancy package or the Kate ads. I fell in love as soon as I applied it. It's really the best lipstick I've tried in a long time. All that's said about its softness, balmy texture, nourishing properties, creamy consistency is true. I have it in #3, which is a deep beige, with which lips look beautiful. I actually felt the miracle ingredients right after I bought it. I kept on applying it and after 3 or 4 times my unsoft and winter dried out lips became rosy soft and nourished. This does feel like an extremely high pigmented lip balm. The staying power is superior, it does make it worth the money. Stayes on much longer than other soft lipsticks. I really love the fruity scent of the product, makes me feel beautiful. The package is posh and fancy, though really heavy for a simple lipstick, I would really prefer something lighter. It is an expensive product, but I believe that it is worth the money. Yes, it is ugly to realise that most of the price comes from the really posh package design and production, enormous advertising campaign and a large percentage of overrating, but such is life. I still love it and would probably buy other colours. Might also repurchase the same one I own.

on 1/4/2009 11:45:00 AM

It has been a long time since I wrote a review but this baby rocks so I simply had to!

Buttery, sensual, long lasting, and divine... everything the gals said here is true - believe it!!

I've got this in #11 and love it to death... makes my anorexic lips look like Angie's twin! Dang! That takes ALOT! It also has a tinge of sweetness, strange but charming.

Only trouble is finding more shades I can wear - there seem to be a lot of nudes/browns which make me look like death but I'm gonna try #3 at the counter next...

I am in love with #18 which is a fabulous red that makes me instantly feel like a Hollywood siren! I need to pick that up next.

At S$42 I should be locked up for spending that much on a lipstick and heavily medicated for wanting to buy more... but you know, this is one of those rare gems that is worth collecting every single colour you can wear. I almost want to say I'd wear this and nothing else!

on 11/28/2008 6:34:00 PM

When I saw swatches for these babies I knew these were the most pigmented lipsticks I've seen in a long time. I tried one shade, and applied a dab, not even a swipe, just one dab each lip and pressed together. The texture is so silky and light, not like a gloss or stain and not substanced like a traditional lipstick. The lasting power is great, even on bare lips that tend to dry out without an emollient, this stayed on and on, and did not crinkle up or cause a white ring around the inner borders.

You know a lipstick colour is good when you get complemented by colleagues in an office environment where no body bothers (in a nice way) to point out your special attire or makeups. I've started with one shade, but unfortunately there is probably just another that I'd consider. The rest are either too light (beige makes me look like I've eaten too much salty food) or too dramatic. Perhaps a light warm pink, and the peach pink. Hmm..

on 11/24/2008 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

The R&D Dept at YSL knocked themselves out with this formula; it's actually a semi-solid (imho), as opposed to a regular, solid lipstick. I was initially put off by this lipstick 'cause the testers at Sephora (Boston) are so gross. They're mushed & disgusting because, as I said, the softness of the formula cannot be overstated! I don't blame the people who tested (& ruined) them because how would they know you can't apply it like a normal lipstick? If you *do,* you'll smush it. You have to apply it gently or pat it on or (best option) brush it on.

Anywho, "zelora" described #8 (Fetish Pink) perfectly. She said it's a "balanced" pink, & that's right on target: not too bright & not too timid - a perfect, mid-range pink. And not overly cool or warm. I'd say it's in the middle there, too. I really love it. The YSL site says it becomes a liquid when it touches your lips. Well, not quite, but that's sort of what it feels like; definitely in a class by itself.

Finish: I'd call it a satin finish; not shiny, but not matte either. This is my favorite finish for a lipstick because it's a natural look & gives the illusion of plumpness (of the lips!).

Staying power: excellent. It lasts & lasts, and when it finally wears off a bit, it does so in a very nice way. Your lips look like they have a stain on them that's worn off a bit, but in a good way . . . in a way that says, "Yeah, so my lipstick isn't freshly applied every minute of the day - I guess I have better things to do."

I plan to buy a backup of #8 next time I'm in town because this is my new favorite, every-day-of-the-week lipstick!

on 10/16/2008 1:47:00 PM

I have bought one of these lippies, have another on order because the store was out of it, and got a sample set from a Nordstrom's clerk with FOUR other colors! So I think I can review this product!
Overall, the things everyone has said about buttery texture, nice tube, strong pigments, etc. are things I agree with. On to the colors!
#1 Nude Beige: I nixed this at the store counter after seeing it on my hand, then tried it at home from the sample set. It is very pale indeed and you had better want a pale, nude look if you go for this, because you'll get it. It makes me look like I should be laid out and the undertaker didn't make me up. Might work for some people??
#3 Ultimate Beige: I ordered this one to be sent to my home, after checking it out at Nordstrom. Hope I will like it! I'll let you know.
#7 Lingerie PInk: Some people like this color, but it is even paler than Nude Beige and therefore useless for me. It's the color of ballet tights.
#8 Fetish Pink: I got this one in the sample set and it is a GO! It's a nice "balanced" pink, very much like Chanel's Rouge Allure in "Imagination" if you happen to know that color. I tried it with the YSL lip pencil I'd gotten at Nordstrom too (and really like) and color remained on my lips for hours even after several snacks -- though I think this may after all have been from the pencil and not the lipstick....
#9 Pink Caress: I actually have this one in my grubby little hands/possession, and like it a lot! It's a bright-but-not-garish pink that lights up my face and makes me look better instantly!
#10 Provocative Pink: I have this in the sample set and might not even finish sampling it! It is sooo bright, and too purply for me. I have never looked good in this type of color and don't think it is happening now either.
There was one I kept checking out at Nordstrom, sorry I don't know whether it was #12 or #14, that was fascinating but very dark and Goth. I would sort of jump when I or the salesgirl would swipe it onto my hand. A Morticia color, but in itself lovely, so I would like to have a blouse that color! But not a lipstick!
I will post on #17, Red Muse, after I get a chance to try it. It looks RED RED RED in the sample kit and only certain people can get away with RED RED RED, you know.
It's a fun splurge, this one!

Recommended for Medium Skin