September 22, 2014 | 519 users online

Lipstick - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Volupte (All)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2009 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Kayraven

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Got it because of all the positive reviews here. Really didn't buy into the fancy package or the Kate ads. I fell in love as soon as I applied it. It's really the best lipstick I've tried in a long time. All that's said about its softness, balmy texture, nourishing properties, creamy consistency is true. I have it in #3, which is a deep beige, with which lips look beautiful. I actually felt the miracle ingredients right after I bought it. I kept on applying it and after 3 or 4 times my unsoft and winter dried out lips became rosy soft and nourished. This does feel like an extremely high pigmented lip balm. The staying power is superior, it does make it worth the money. Stayes on much longer than other soft lipsticks. I really love the fruity scent of the product, makes me feel beautiful. The package is posh and fancy, though really heavy for a simple lipstick, I would really prefer something lighter. It is an expensive product, but I believe that it is worth the money. Yes, it is ugly to realise that most of the price comes from the really posh package design and production, enormous advertising campaign and a large percentage of overrating, but such is life. I still love it and would probably buy other colours. Might also repurchase the same one I own.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 11:45:00 AM More reviews by mrstrii

It has been a long time since I wrote a review but this baby rocks so I simply had to!

Buttery, sensual, long lasting, and divine... everything the gals said here is true - believe it!!

I've got this in #11 and love it to death... makes my anorexic lips look like Angie's twin! Dang! That takes ALOT! It also has a tinge of sweetness, strange but charming.

Only trouble is finding more shades I can wear - there seem to be a lot of nudes/browns which make me look like death but I'm gonna try #3 at the counter next...

I am in love with #18 which is a fabulous red that makes me instantly feel like a Hollywood siren! I need to pick that up next.

At S$42 I should be locked up for spending that much on a lipstick and heavily medicated for wanting to buy more... but you know, this is one of those rare gems that is worth collecting every single colour you can wear. I almost want to say I'd wear this and nothing else!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2008 6:34:00 PM More reviews by miranets

When I saw swatches for these babies I knew these were the most pigmented lipsticks I've seen in a long time. I tried one shade, and applied a dab, not even a swipe, just one dab each lip and pressed together. The texture is so silky and light, not like a gloss or stain and not substanced like a traditional lipstick. The lasting power is great, even on bare lips that tend to dry out without an emollient, this stayed on and on, and did not crinkle up or cause a white ring around the inner borders.

You know a lipstick colour is good when you get complemented by colleagues in an office environment where no body bothers (in a nice way) to point out your special attire or makeups. I've started with one shade, but unfortunately there is probably just another that I'd consider. The rest are either too light (beige makes me look like I've eaten too much salty food) or too dramatic. Perhaps a light warm pink, and the peach pink. Hmm..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2008 7:39:00 PM More reviews by LPomona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The R&D Dept at YSL knocked themselves out with this formula; it's actually a semi-solid (imho), as opposed to a regular, solid lipstick. I was initially put off by this lipstick 'cause the testers at Sephora (Boston) are so gross. They're mushed & disgusting because, as I said, the softness of the formula cannot be overstated! I don't blame the people who tested (& ruined) them because how would they know you can't apply it like a normal lipstick? If you *do,* you'll smush it. You have to apply it gently or pat it on or (best option) brush it on.

Anywho, "zelora" described #8 (Fetish Pink) perfectly. She said it's a "balanced" pink, & that's right on target: not too bright & not too timid - a perfect, mid-range pink. And not overly cool or warm. I'd say it's in the middle there, too. I really love it. The YSL site says it becomes a liquid when it touches your lips. Well, not quite, but that's sort of what it feels like; definitely in a class by itself.

Finish: I'd call it a satin finish; not shiny, but not matte either. This is my favorite finish for a lipstick because it's a natural look & gives the illusion of plumpness (of the lips!).

Staying power: excellent. It lasts & lasts, and when it finally wears off a bit, it does so in a very nice way. Your lips look like they have a stain on them that's worn off a bit, but in a good way . . . in a way that says, "Yeah, so my lipstick isn't freshly applied every minute of the day - I guess I have better things to do."

I plan to buy a backup of #8 next time I'm in town because this is my new favorite, every-day-of-the-week lipstick!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2008 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Zelora

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have bought one of these lippies, have another on order because the store was out of it, and got a sample set from a Nordstrom's clerk with FOUR other colors! So I think I can review this product!
Overall, the things everyone has said about buttery texture, nice tube, strong pigments, etc. are things I agree with. On to the colors!
#1 Nude Beige: I nixed this at the store counter after seeing it on my hand, then tried it at home from the sample set. It is very pale indeed and you had better want a pale, nude look if you go for this, because you'll get it. It makes me look like I should be laid out and the undertaker didn't make me up. Might work for some people??
#3 Ultimate Beige: I ordered this one to be sent to my home, after checking it out at Nordstrom. Hope I will like it! I'll let you know.
#7 Lingerie PInk: Some people like this color, but it is even paler than Nude Beige and therefore useless for me. It's the color of ballet tights.
#8 Fetish Pink: I got this one in the sample set and it is a GO! It's a nice "balanced" pink, very much like Chanel's Rouge Allure in "Imagination" if you happen to know that color. I tried it with the YSL lip pencil I'd gotten at Nordstrom too (and really like) and color remained on my lips for hours even after several snacks -- though I think this may after all have been from the pencil and not the lipstick....
#9 Pink Caress: I actually have this one in my grubby little hands/possession, and like it a lot! It's a bright-but-not-garish pink that lights up my face and makes me look better instantly!
#10 Provocative Pink: I have this in the sample set and might not even finish sampling it! It is sooo bright, and too purply for me. I have never looked good in this type of color and don't think it is happening now either.
There was one I kept checking out at Nordstrom, sorry I don't know whether it was #12 or #14, that was fascinating but very dark and Goth. I would sort of jump when I or the salesgirl would swipe it onto my hand. A Morticia color, but in itself lovely, so I would like to have a blouse that color! But not a lipstick!
I will post on #17, Red Muse, after I get a chance to try it. It looks RED RED RED in the sample kit and only certain people can get away with RED RED RED, you know.
It's a fun splurge, this one!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2008 3:34:00 PM More reviews by Beth

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got this lipstick in #2 Sensual Silk, described on Sephora.com as a creamy pinkish beige. The packaging is among the most luxurious I've ever used: a heavy metallic tube with a mirror on one end and the YSL logo in cutouts around the waist of the tube. Under the cutouts is a plastic collar showing the lipstick color. The color is an exact match, so no guessing. Sensual Silk comes out VERY light pink nude on my lips, and has a slightly greasy feel going on and a mild sugary taste. It's not the creamiest or most emollient high-end lipstick I've used, but I'm oddly attracted to it anyway. I think it's just the pleasure of owning the product. The package is almost like having jewelry for the lips. Despite the $34USD price tag, I would take a deep breath, go see the colors in person, and get one that's a little darker, since I generally dislike lip colors that are lighter than my natural lip color. The one lipstick off is for the price.

Update 4/28/10: When I say I'm going to do something, I do it. So last week I went to Menlo Park (NJ) Mall, took a deep breath as I claimed I would in the previous paragraph, and got #3 Ultimate Beige. Happily, I had the 15% off SBI coupon, so no $34USD this time. You know how, in a previous review, I claimed that Calvin Klein lip gloss in Pink Lacquer was the exact color of my lips? ...I was wrong. THIS lipstick is the exact color of my lips. I am going through this like water already. Nothing about the product has changed: same slightly greasy, slippery texture; same opaque color writeoff; same sweet taste; same amazingly accurate packaging. (Same price, too...:( ) Since I have now found the perfect MLBB lipstick, I won't be purchasing any more of these at full price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 6:30:00 PM More reviews by nutsaboutmakeup

holly mama! you ladies need to get you butts to the nearest counter and purchase this!!

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: A TEXTURE THAT TRANSFORMS WITH ULTIMATE SENSUALITY
Both light and covering, the cream texture becomes fluid on contact with the lips, for a delightful feeling and an exceptional gliding effect. A nutri-protective vegetal complex nourishes your lips, keeping them smooth, soft and comfortable.

AN OBJECT THAT WOMEN DESIRE
This ultra-sensual texture is presented in an elegant case with beautiful feminine curves. The golden metallic packaging has an intricate carving of the Yves Saint Laurent logo that reveals the shade with a mirror on top for quick application throughout the day.

A GENEROUS RANGE OF RADIANT SHADES
Thanks to the glossy film that reflects the light, and the colorshine complex that magnifies the colour, the 18 shades of this new lipstick will make your lips simply irresistible. Choose your own voluptuous attitude.

PROS:a seriously creamy long lasting very pigmented lipstick. it so creamy and soft that it spreads like butter on the lips! quite long lasting - when i tested the shades on my hand, i had a hard time rubbing them off with the YSL makeup remover. after dinner, it looked like i still had red lips (abit faded) kinda works like a stain too. lovely mirror top to help with lipstick application and checking of teeth! supposedly hydrating lipstick - so far havent felt it drying but been wearing only couple hours - will update.

CONS: expensive!!!! well since its so pigmented am guessing its gonna take along time to finish using the tube - ie less makeup shopping! colour is very staturated - easy to over apply (actually have to dab the colour on cos spreading it gives full on colour which i personally find too heavy looking)

SHADES:

#9 - pinky beige - a MLBB shade. nice everyday shade

#11 - hot rose pink kinda like a fuchsia

#12 - deep wine/burgendy shade

#16 - orangey red

#17 - red - less damatic/red than #18

#18 - a pure red - kinda like the red lips snow white had. gorgeous!

PACKAGING: woah...i thought guerlain's kiss kiss was the cake but baby this is pure beauty!!the mirror on the top is perhaps not as classy as one might expect but the lovely design in the middle of the lippie is too die for!!

INGREDIENTS: Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butyl Stearate, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyethylene, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Cera Alba (Beeswax), Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil Extract, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Stearyl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Fragrance, Behenic Acid, Paraffin, Glyceryl Stearate, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Butylene Glycol, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citric Acid, Limonene. [+/- May Contain: Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide), Ci 15850 (Red 7), Ci 15850 (Red 6), Ci 45410 (Red 28 Lake), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), Ci 17200 (Red 33 Lake), Ci 73360 (Red 30), Ci 75470 (Carmine), Ci 12085 (Red 36), Ci 15985 (Yellow 6 Lake), Ci 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), Ci 77019 (Mica), Ci 77742 (Manganese Violet), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Ci 77002 (Aluminum Hydroxide), Silica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Talc].

ETA (290908): been playing with this lipstick & i found that its full on coverage - really super duper saturated colour so my red (#18) will most likely be used for night time. but i really really like how easily it goes on lips & its quite lightweight too. Did i mention it smells like mangos and i detect slight taste of mangos when i lick my lips. continued >>

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No