Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte (All)

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butyl Stearate, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyethylene, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Cera Alba (Beeswax), Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil Extract, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Stearyl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Fragrance, Behenic Acid, Paraffin, Glyceryl Stearate, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Butylene Glycol, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citric Acid, Limonene. [ /- May Contain: Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide), Ci 15850 (Red 7), Ci 15850 (Red 6), Ci 45410 (Red 28 Lake), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), Ci 17200 (Red 33 Lake), Ci 73360 (Red 30), Ci 75470 (Carmine), Ci 12085 (Red 36), Ci 15985 (Yellow 6 Lake), Ci 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), Ci 77019 (Mica), Ci 77742 (Manganese Violet), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Ci 77002 (Aluminum Hydroxide), Silica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Talc

on 11/26/2009 10:51:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is expensive but worth it! I have been using #9 and #11 since July and will repurchase both when I run out. I'm going back to the counter to see what else looks good on me because these apply so well.

It has deep pigment so you don't have to guess how the colour will turn out on your lips. Choosing lipsticks from other lines is such a headache, but what you see is what you get with colours of Rouge Volupte. It applies like butter and silk on my lips. Hours after I first apply my lips still feel a bit moist and slippery when I rub them together. However, I wouldn't say this lipstick moisturizes because my lips do look a bit scaly because this isn't a lip balm.

It's easy to use because, on me, the colour is so solid that I don't need a lipliner; you can actually fill in your lips shape them with one light swipe of this lipstick! This lipstick may be soft, but it hasn't bled on me yet! Despite the heavy price tag, I totally recommend it!

Update Oct 4, 2011: I picked up a really good tip from YouTuber Lisa Eldridge that I've been using with dark and pigmented lip products. I apply a bit of product on the middle of the top and bottom lips and spread it with a finger. This warms up the product, spreads it more evenly on your lips and helps it wear longer. This product is so moist and pigmented that I'm able to create definition and a sharp outline of my lips with just my fingers. Still awesome!

on 8/12/2009 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

#12 Forbidden Burgundy

I am so thrilled with this lipstick. I am AA with dark skin and the color really pops. The color is rich and vibrant. I find lots of lip gloss, but not many shades of lipstick work for me. If so, it is always a limited edition. Well, I look amazing and so kissable! The packaging is fabulous too.

on 7/26/2009 5:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

These lipsticks are gorgeously packaged, however.. the creamy formula can sink into lines on your lips if your prone to dryness, it shows especially in the lighter shades, for this reason i won't buy them again, but if i wanted something bright and dark, i'd get these, for light shades the look a little chalked up on my lips.

on 7/26/2009 5:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was an impulse purchase at an airport. My flight was delayed, I was bored and upset and well, I caved in and bought a travel exclusive two-pack of these. I'd seen the swatches online and was familiar with the product (and the hype), so I thought I couldn't go wrong with these. Turns out I don't like them that much, which is not to say these aren't exceptionally well made. Hence the rating - I gave them 4 lippies, but will not buy again. I'll admire their formula from afar, but the ones I bought got passed on to others.
So anyway, this is a very strange product - its main advantages for some may turn out to be its downfall for others. Talk about a full coverage lipstick! I have never in my life come across such an opaque lipstick as this. It literally paints your lips the colour you see in the tube. I don't usually shy away from opaque lip colour, but these are just too much for me. As a consequence, they are very high maintenance - they require careful application, lip liner, etc. They are very risky to touch up on the go, as such a highly pigmented colour is very unforgiving of any mistakes.
On the other hand, it's a wonderful formula - buttery smooth, nourishing, not drying in the least. I wouldn't say these are shiny or glossy, but not quite matte - maybe satin. A finish that's hard to describe. It has SPF 15 and a mild, pleasant scent.
The two shades I got are #1 Nude Beige (Beige Charnel in the Euro version) and #8 Fetish Pink. The first one made me look like a corpse even though I'm quite pale, which brings me to another flaw. The colour selection, especially the paler shades, is not universally flattering. To make this work, you need to have a specific skin tone and make sure the rest of your make-up works with your lipstick. If worn with a neutral look it almost made me invisible, but with a dramatic bold eye it turned into a goth, huge-eyes-no-lips kind of look.
The other one, Fetish pink, was better, but simply too vibrant (and maybe too blue-based?) for me. I passed it on to my mother, who is considerably darker than me and she loves it. Looks great on her, especially when she's tanned.
Overall, The Volupte is quite possibly the best lipstick formula I've ever tried, but it's too opaque and too demanding for me. For now, I'll stick to Chanel Rouge Allure, but if they ever come up with Rouge Volupte Light (or Sheer), I'll happily try it.

YSL rouge volupte lipsticks are the best lipsticks on the market, PERIOD.
packaging: drool. even has a little mirror, and the fact the color is indicated on the outside of the tube is great
pigmentation: super pigmented. one swipe does it
feel: rich and creamy
moisturizing: very
wear time: exceptional
shine: yes
spf: check

the best.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

i had wanted a rouge volupte lipstick for absolutely ages but being 20 i wanted to be sure that it was worth spending that much. i eventually caved in and purchased #8 fetish pink as i thought #7 lingerie pink would be a bit too pale and wash me out. i realllllly don't like the feeling of this product on my lips. maybe its because i'm used to MAC lipsticks which i LOVE, but this product makes me feel like i've got a lot on my lips. the texture is so soft but not to my taste. the colour payoff however is excellent and it does last.
i shall not be repurchasing. on another note, the packaging is fab

Opulent packaging. Best lipstick I have worn in all my life!

on 1/12/2009 3:17:00 PM

Got it because of all the positive reviews here. Really didn't buy into the fancy package or the Kate ads. I fell in love as soon as I applied it. It's really the best lipstick I've tried in a long time. All that's said about its softness, balmy texture, nourishing properties, creamy consistency is true. I have it in #3, which is a deep beige, with which lips look beautiful. I actually felt the miracle ingredients right after I bought it. I kept on applying it and after 3 or 4 times my unsoft and winter dried out lips became rosy soft and nourished. This does feel like an extremely high pigmented lip balm. The staying power is superior, it does make it worth the money. Stayes on much longer than other soft lipsticks. I really love the fruity scent of the product, makes me feel beautiful. The package is posh and fancy, though really heavy for a simple lipstick, I would really prefer something lighter. It is an expensive product, but I believe that it is worth the money. Yes, it is ugly to realise that most of the price comes from the really posh package design and production, enormous advertising campaign and a large percentage of overrating, but such is life. I still love it and would probably buy other colours. Might also repurchase the same one I own.

on 1/4/2009 11:45:00 AM

It has been a long time since I wrote a review but this baby rocks so I simply had to!

Buttery, sensual, long lasting, and divine... everything the gals said here is true - believe it!!

I've got this in #11 and love it to death... makes my anorexic lips look like Angie's twin! Dang! That takes ALOT! It also has a tinge of sweetness, strange but charming.

Only trouble is finding more shades I can wear - there seem to be a lot of nudes/browns which make me look like death but I'm gonna try #3 at the counter next...

I am in love with #18 which is a fabulous red that makes me instantly feel like a Hollywood siren! I need to pick that up next.

At S$42 I should be locked up for spending that much on a lipstick and heavily medicated for wanting to buy more... but you know, this is one of those rare gems that is worth collecting every single colour you can wear. I almost want to say I'd wear this and nothing else!

on 11/28/2008 6:34:00 PM

When I saw swatches for these babies I knew these were the most pigmented lipsticks I've seen in a long time. I tried one shade, and applied a dab, not even a swipe, just one dab each lip and pressed together. The texture is so silky and light, not like a gloss or stain and not substanced like a traditional lipstick. The lasting power is great, even on bare lips that tend to dry out without an emollient, this stayed on and on, and did not crinkle up or cause a white ring around the inner borders.

You know a lipstick colour is good when you get complemented by colleagues in an office environment where no body bothers (in a nice way) to point out your special attire or makeups. I've started with one shade, but unfortunately there is probably just another that I'd consider. The rest are either too light (beige makes me look like I've eaten too much salty food) or too dramatic. Perhaps a light warm pink, and the peach pink. Hmm..

Popular Lipsticks