November 23, 2014 | 1670 users online

Treatments (Face) - Lavender Essential Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by pinimon162

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love lavender oil and have used it for years - we've always had it in the house because it's one of my mom's favourites too.

I haven't used it yet on my skin, although I plan to try it, and will update if/when I do so.
But for me it's definitely worthy of a good review - I've always had trouble sleeping, I can easily be lying awake for hours before I get to sleep, and even if I get to sleep quickly I will wake up constantly in the middle of the night which is no fun! Lavender is renowned for its calming properties and there is a reason for this - the scent really lulls me to sleep, and all I need is around 5 drops on my pillow. I sleep much more restfully and my sleep isn't as troubled and interrupted by me waking!

It's hard to describe the scent of something natural - it's not like a body lotion or something where you can compare it to smelling like 'lavender' or 'roses'. I would say the scent is heady and floral but not overly sweet - it's really divine and one of my favourite smells. I actually enjoy wearing it as perfume - just a couple of drops on my wrists and neck. It just soothes me and de-stresses me - the power of aromatherapy I suppose! It's also good to know it's all-natural and so doesn't contain any harmful chemicals that other commercial perfumes might (having said that, I do still use other perfumes on occasion..but I'm sure rotating this in makes this better, right?).

It also makes for a great bath oil - I actually use it as a natural (and better-smelling) alternative to bubble bath. It smelled so great as I was running my bath (I only used 3 drops) that my mom asked me what I'd put in it. ---But get this, my 15 year old brother, who is the most typical teenage boy you could meet in terms of beauty/fragrance (the only toiletry-related products he uses, are Lynx deodorant and toothpaste) actually came and asked me what I'd put in the bath because it smelled amazing. Crazy times. I actually can't believe people would be intolerant to lavender as a smell - tea tree oil, maybe - it's truly a beautiful scent. As a bath oil it functions to unwind and relax and de-stress. Have you noticed that a lot of bubble baths are lavender scented? Why not skip the chemicals and just go for the real thing?

All in all, I really can't say enough good things about lavender oil. I don't really use it for 'beauty' purposes - but getting enough sleep helps your skin, so I suppose in a non-direct way it does help. It's relatively inexpensive compared to other essential oils, and one of the more widely available oils. I know it's a lot per ml, but bear in mind you need to use minimal amounts for the functions I've listed - 5-6 drops in a bath, 5 drops on a pillow, 4 drops as perfume - and of course you can use less if it's too overpowering. For skin care preparations you might need to use more and therefore get through it quicker, but like I said I haven't tried this yet.

Overall, highly recommend - there are so many more uses that if you don't like it for one, there's bound to be something you can do with it.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 1:37:00 AM More reviews by lollipopgraceE

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

In terms of breakouts this doesn't seem to help or aggravate my acne (it mostly just seems to do nothing). However, I have always had sleeping problems since I was young and this helps me sleep as well as taking gravol (motion sickness pills)! Absolutely love it for that alone! The only thing is I don't really like the packaging for essential oils, they always use the European style dropper bottles that drip everywhere. I'm probably using it wrong but I can't figure it out :P In terms of other essential oils, I still find that Geranium and German chamomile work the best for balancing, toning, and leaving skin glowing :)

-edit-
This is not about the lavender oil, but I noticed in the last sentence I mentioned Geranium & german chamomile work well. Do not use the chamomile if you have sensitive skin!! Gave me the worst cystic breakout I have ever experienced...and also, if you try geranium oil, make sure to dilute dilute dilute!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 11:05:00 PM More reviews by leannejade

When I first got went completely natural with my skincare, one of my first purchases was lavender oil, and it has not disappointed. I bought it to help with acne and scarring, and it helps reside pimples that are forming and helps scars/broken skin from irritated acne heal much faster, in a matter of days. It cleared up a breakout I was having at the time and I've been using it ever since. I do use it as a spot treatment neat, but when I use it all over I just mix a bit with another heavier oil to moisturize.
In short, tea tree oil never did much for my acne, but lavender oil has been a godsend. And it smells fantastic; I live in a dorm and share a room with two other people, and whenever they walk after I've used it they always mention how good it smells. Sometimes I even put some on my pillow at night to help me sleep.
I can't recommend lavender oil enough. If you're going to buy one EO, make it this one!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 4:26:00 AM More reviews by fazli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My best results were with: I put Lancome serum, than lavander oil, and the my Darphin Hydraskin. In this way it does not burn the skin, and thanks to the last layer gets absorbed.

I started using this combination in midst of a breakout, that disappeared. I did not think the oul is that helpful until I run out of it, and my pimples and clogged pores started reappearing.

p.s. I did not have the same experience with all the brands. Get a good quality one, and that's not necessarily the most expensive one.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2013 6:28:00 AM More reviews by CandyCrystals

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought the JR Watkins Bath & Body Oil that can be used topically. I read many good reviews about how you can use Essential Lavender Oil to help with acne, but my face did not agree. I broke out in acne. It did leave my skin feeling soft when I would use it on my body after a shower & the scent was very calming & relaxing.

But further research on Paula's Choice left me wanting to toss the bottle away for good. On the website it says, "Widely-used plant that's a member of the mint family. It is primarily a fragrance ingredient, although it may have antibacterial properties. There is no research showing it has any benefit for skin (Sources: Phytotherapy Research, June 2002, pages 301308). In fact, it can be a skin irritant but there is a conflicting research on just how much of a photosensitizer lavender can be. It appears lavender oil all by itself isn't a photosensitizer, but when exposed to oxygen (as it would be when applied to your skin), one of it's fragrant components, linalyl acetate forms substances that lead to allergic contact dermatitis in and out of sunlight (Sources: The New Ideal in Skin Health: Separating Fact from Fiction, Thornfeldt, Carl M.D., Allured Books, 2010, pages 286287; Contact Dermatitis, January 2008, pages 914; Hautarzt, February 2002, pages 9397; and Contact Dermatitis, August 1999, page 111)."

'Nuff said.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Lilybelle911

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I always keep a small bottle of organic essential lavender oil in the house. I have been in love with lavender since I was a girl. I mostly use it for its aromatherapy properties - it is very calming and yet uplifting at the same time. I also keep the dried flowers on hand for making sachets, and I occasionally drink a lavender/tulsi organic tea. I would be careful of drinking the tea because I believe it is estrogenic, and if you are high enough in estrogen as it is, you don't want to create an imbalance (trust me). A friend from days long gone by used to make his own lip balms, and my favorite was one he made with beeswax and lavender oil. I was unaware of lavender's benefits for the facial skin, though from reading here and in one of my aromatherapy books that advises using it for the face, I'm now going to give it a try in a jojoba oil carrier. I used to grow lavender in my little herb garden at our old house. I miss it so much. Lavender is such a wonderful plant, beautiful and useful. It is also an ingredient in Herbes de Provence. It adds a lovely anisic, sweet flavor. Anyway, back to the oil. There are so many uses for lavender oil that I never like to be without it. Here is something I enjoy doing with lavender oil: put a couple of drops on a damp washcloth or sponge, whatever you normally use in the shower, massage it into the material, then allow the steam and streaming water to disperse the scent while you have your shower. Bring it to your face and inhale the scent. Ahhh...it will take you away, but even better than Calgon. Have a lie down for a few minutes afteward to prolong the feeling. A little spa treatment in your own home. :-)

11 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 11:50:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

You can purchase Lavender Essential Oil from a variety of sources - but it is best to ensure you are purchasing food-grade, organic Lavendula Augustifolia and not synthetic Lavendin which is cheaper and used by perfumers to save money.

Real Lavender oil has a fresh herbaceous quality and a light floral sweetness. Some of the best comes from France, Bulgaria and Utah and CA in the US. There are many local, seasonal sources of Lavender in the NE USA - such as PA where I live.

Great for relaxation, inhalation and topical/skin care uses. So numerous in usage!

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by scs2dd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

price: 2
packaging: 3 (Aura Cacia brand oils have a built-in dropper)
will repurchase

After becoming frustrated at not being able to find an organic, reasonably-priced, alcohol-free moisturizer to fit my combo skin, I made a mixture of lavender and jojoba oil. I made it a 2.5% lavender concentration for use on my entire face (15 drops lavender per 1 oz jojoba) and a 10% lavender concentration for application just on pimples (60 drops per 1 oz jojoba). It's generally accepted that you should not use a concentration greater than 5% over large areas like your face (and not at all for most essential oils), but lavender is the gentlest and safest of the oils as it can even be used by pregnant women. Still, never apply any essential oil straight as it can be harmful to skin and some are known neurotoxins. I see many reviews here claim you can use it neat (straight from its bottle) but this is vehemently advised AGAINST by every source i have come across during my extensive research. Peppermint may burn the skin, citrus oils cause swift sunburn in the presence of UV rays (any UV source, especially tanning beds), sassafras and calamus are suspected tumor-causing carcinogens (among others), and wintergreen is a toxic oil as not even aromatherapists use it. There are many others with precautions and potential side effects so you must read about them thoroughly before using-- I recommend reading these [http://www.naha.org/articles/toxicity_myths.htm][http://www.naha.org/articles/brief_safety%20guidance%20.htm] about toxicity/precautions and this [http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoils/default.asp#essentialoilprofiles] for profiles of individual essential oils including scent, chemical makeup, uses, warnings and possible side effects. However, they have many benefits when used correctly and lavender is no exception. I chose jojoba as a carrier oil because its particles are extremely small so that it's absorbed quickly and penetrates deeply. Jojoba is also unique in that it is very similar to sebum (your midday oil slick). It's good for combo skin like mine because it kind of tricks your skin into thinking it has produced enough sebum and so it will stop, yet it adds moisture to dry areas of the face, like cheeks, simultaneously. I store it in a glass cobalt dropper. Amber works too, just make sure the glass is dark and store it in a dark place because light degrades the essential oil. Also, keep store your pure essential oil in the fridge as that helps slow degradation too. You only need a tiny amount of the mixture; I put a drop on my forehead, nose, chin, and both cheeks and massage in well. Your face MUST be completely dry for it to absorb because water and oil don't mix.
I've used it twice and have seen some results. My face doesn't feel tight or greasy after I apply and it has not encouraged more natural oil production. I am not acne prone and my skin is actually quite clear, but my monthly pimple-- the painful mountain-beneath-the-skin variety-- that takes 5 days to a week to disappear on me arrived two days ago. Last night I applied my 10% mixture to the area with a Q tip and when I woke up this morning, what had 8 hours ago been an angry, red mound was reduced to a non-painful, barely-raised, pink bump. I'm trying not to jump to conclusions but this doesn't normally occur. Neither mixture is irritating to my sensitive skin. I'll update as I use this more.
P.S. The smell is herby and floral, very relaxing. I've been under the weather and it's helped calm my headache. For the Aveda fans.

*EDIT: I began use of the face and acne mixture Monday night. It's Thursday morning and my pimple has healed.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 8:06:00 PM More reviews by Happythenjaded

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this stuff. I add a few drops to my Josie Maran Argan oil and use as a daily and nightly acne moisturizer... i have ZERO blemishes thanks to this....

also i use the Josie Maran argan cleanser! :) 3 products have saved my face!!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2013 12:53:00 AM More reviews by sienna2125

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Initially I bought this for acne & hair growth. However the smell is so strong & it lingers all day. I can't stand it in part because the smell is so cloying & is reminiscent of an old time floral perfume. So I'm sticking with tea tree oil for acne treatment & but am trying to stay the course & keep using it as part of an oil blend for my scalp in order to promote hair growth. I started using this for my hair about 1 month ago so I can not vouch as to its effects on hair growth yet.