November 24, 2014 | 1653 users online

Pressed Powders - Guerlain - Meteorites Poudre de Perles (Illuminating Perfecting Pressed Powder)

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2008 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Mojie

This isn't an LE anymore. Sephora carries it under the name Meteorites Illuminating Pressed Powder.

I got this in Rose Frais (Fresh Pink) 02 which has peachy pink, peach, warm pink and ivory components because I figured it would make my skin look healthy and glowing.

I've only tried the Meteorites Pearls (Balls) in Sephora on the back of my hand so I can't compare this pressed powder version to them in any meaningful way. I was originally going to buy the Pearls but ended up with this for three reasons: (1) they were in stock on Sephora's website while the Pearls weren't, (2) the solid pressed powder seemed like a better choice for someone like me who's been known to drop things (usually expensive things, go figure) and (3) they seemed more convenient.

The Poudre De Perles is more expensive than the ball version at $65 rather than $51, but I think I prefer them this way since you get a consistent amount of each color and can carry the pressed version easier. I don't mind paying a bit more for convenience and consistency. It also comes in a very nice, secure compact that has a screw on lid that clicks when it's competely closed, which makes me feel better about carrying it with me.

There's a thin layer of very pretty (but off-putting for me) shimmer on top of the powder when you open the container, but using the powder for the first time gets rid of it entirely so you're left with a mostly matte powder with some gentle shimmer embedded inside. For me, that's a good thing. I don't want to look like a disco ball and as beautiful as it was in the compact, I didn't want it sprinkled all over my face.

I actually expected that Rose Frais might double as a blush for me since I have fair (MAC NW20) skin and it seemed relatively pigmented, but really there's not a true color pay-off from this and that's the way it's supposed to be. The peachy pink tones give a healthy look and make me glow without washing me out or giving my skin a weird pearliness that I get from a lot of highlighters (I wouldn't call this a highlighter, by the way; it's an all-over face color/finishing powder).

I wouldn't say that the Poudre De Perles (in this color, anyway; I haven't tried the other 2) really does much to cover flaws the way the description claims, but I like the healthy, glowing appearance it gives me.

I found it works best as a finshing powder over liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer in place of a setting powder. Using it over just powder and primer didn't quite give me the glowing look I wanted and seemed a bit powdery/cakey.

Those with scent sensitivities should know that the powder smells strongly of violet candy. The scent dies down when it's on the skin, but I can still smell it clearly when I'm wearing it.

UPDATE: I have this in Mythic Parfait now, too, and love them as much as I do the Rose Frais. Mythic Parfait (white pearl/pale pink/pink/light green in the center) has a more luminizing/glowing effect than Rose Frais does, but it also makes my MAC NW20 skin just the tiniest bit pale.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2008 3:11:00 PM More reviews by longmayirun

Well I think I found my HG pressed powder! What a fabulous product. Yes it's expensive but it will last a long, long time. The previous reviewers are spot on. It's matte, but somehow still manages to give you a luminous glow from within, not just a shiny sparkly glow on the surface. I can't stop staring at my face in the mirror when I am wearing it. Usually I look at my face in the mirror to see all the flaws but not in this case. I wear it over my Guerlain Divinora semi-matte foundation. I bought the Poudre de Perles in 01 and it looks great on my NW25 skin. When you get to be my age (46 going on 47) you need anything that can help that youthful glow without looking sparkly - well I can say this it it! I will definitely purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2008 10:22:00 AM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love the Meteorites balls and loved the idea of a matching Meteorites Poudre ..... please note that I previously purchased the Meteorites pressed poudre in Mythic 01 and hated it as it made my face look pink, however, the Meteorites Poudre de Perles is nothing like the Meteorites pressed poudre and instead in my opinion is more like the balls but a bit heavier. I still use my Meteorites balls on my face and currently use a bit of Armani's face fabric on the underneath of my chin where I still have a teeny bit of discoloration and then top it off with Meteorites Poudre de Perles and it looks perfect. I was under the impression that this item was LE so I ran out and purchased a spare, however, good to know that this may be in the permanent collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2008 3:51:00 PM More reviews by ginnygordon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well, this doesn't seem to be LE anymore. I am not positive, but it doesn't mention being LE on several websites that sell it, and now there is also a travel touch meteorites in matching packaging. I have mythic. It has a gorgeous shimmer when you first open it, but this is just a sprayed overlay. The powder itself doesn't have shimmer - to my eye, at least. The smell is the same wonderful violet smell that I love about meteorites in their various forms. The package is quite large for the amount of powder (10g). As others have mentioned, it doesn't come with a powder puff or brush, but I think a small puff may fit in the case, if you are willing to place a puff directly on the powder. I don't think this will be put in my purse, at any rate; it is sitting on my vanity looking pretty and I have been using a brush to apply. It applies beautifully and I am very satisfied with it as a pressed powder. I am not sure whether I like this better than the meteorites pearls or not - I like both. I would probably purchase this again, but what I would really like is if there were refills available for the case. I also think I will buy the travel touch version for my purse. If so, I will edit this with a comparison.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2008 10:58:00 AM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

After hearing that this LE series of products sold out and not available almost anywhere in Canada (Sephora, The Bay, Guerlain Boutique...) I ventured into a local high end drugstore called Shoppers Drug Mart and was lucky enough to run into the VERY LAST one in 02 Rose Frais. I originally thought that this product somehow "corresponded" to the Pink Fresh pearls Meteorites, and since I wanted that one in a compact to carry in my bag, I bought this. Well, Rose Frais does not correspond (at least not in the colour intensity) to the Pink Fresh Meteorites, but it doesn't matter as it is still an amazing product. For those ladies who hoped Pink Fresh would be less colour intense so they could apply it all over the face, actually, Rose Frais is probably a perfect product. I think both ladies below have done a great job describing this line in a lot of detail, so I will just add that Rose Frais is in my opinion a great all over "freshener" or finishing touch to your makeup with a very slight sheen and adds a nice fresh colour to your face, without a major "pink" deposit (even though t does look somewhat intense in the pot). If you are lucky to find this product in a store, I highly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2008 12:22:00 AM More reviews by abfabjeanius

Oh, goodness, previous reviewer Amarques has done such a lovely job at giving a detailed and accurate description of the product packaging and appearance in the pan that I almost feel inadequated to even venture to try! :) I got the Beige Lumineux also, and it seems to work well as a setting powder for my NC20-25ish skin. It goes on as a sheer veil... I don't notice any complexion correction, but I do find that it imparts a nice glowy finish to my skin. It make my skin look satiny. Over foundation, it gives an airbrushed look. On its own, the powers are not as strong, but it does give a slight candlelit glow effect. This does nothing to control oil, but that is not the point. I did not get the Guerlain brush, and instead use my MAC 187 brush to apply. I swirl it all over the surface with the white bristles, and then buff into my skin. It has a light violet scent, very pleasant and very Guerlain. I do wish the packaging was a little more posh and also ergonomical. The top screws on rather than unclasps/unhinges, there is no mirror inside, and there is no sponge or brush included. For around $60-ish USD, I would have expected a tad more. However, the product is good, I do like it, and I would repurchase in a heartbeat. This beats MAC MSF products anytime!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2008 1:08:00 AM More reviews by amarques

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference, I am a neutral to warm PPP, normal sensitive skin and my foundation shades are: BB Sand, Shu Uemura 774 or 574, Dior 020 and Shiseido Asia OC-00/OC-10.

I bought my Meteorites Poudre de Perles via eBay and the price was fair: 55.00 approximately. It came from a lovely Seller in Singapore, since it was not yet released in Ireland.

I went for shade 3 (Beige Lumineux) that is supposed to create a luminous matte effect and where the purple dot in the middle is said to counteract sallowness.

It does make your face look flawlessly matte and, at the same time, satiny and luminous. So, perfect on that aspect.

As for the "counteract sallowness" claim, I am not that sure. But it certainly makes your complexion more "uniform" and with a bright, healthier appearance.

The powder is not, as far as I am concerned, a highlighter (or a blush either, as someone asked me some days ago). It is purely and simply, an excellent pressed powder. I would indeed go as far as to say it is very probably the best pressed powder I ever had (and I have quite a bunch!).

The beautiful Meteorites pearls are compacted inside a round case and form a shiny mandala with 3 concentric circles. The outer circle is divided in two sections of Light and Shade - or light and medium beige. The next inner circle is a lovely ring of apricot pearls and, in the heart you will finally find a small purple dot.

When you open it for the 1st time you will notice a subtle layer of shiny golden particles, which disappear once you swirl a brush (or fluffy puff) over it two or three times. I love the fact that the shine does not hold onto your face at all, thus really behaving in a perfectly "matte" way!

The texture is beautiful, soft, delicate, and really imparts a flawless finish, almost otherworldly even. Beautiful! I love using it over My Dior Capture Totale Multi-Perfection Refing Base, but without foundation so far (just the primer). Looks good, and feels comfortable.

To apply it I use my fluffy puff from Palgantong, I find it better than a brush, and easier to grab the powder.

It has that so familiar violet scent, a Guerlain trademark it seems, which, for some, may be bothersome, but personally I love it myself. It never caused me any reactions skin-wise, in spite of my sensitive skin, which can be a real pain. No redness, no itchiness or stingy sensation whatsoever. And, is there anything better than a soft, luminous and "perfumed" face?

The only thing I don't really like is the container. It's a plastic, black (with a Meteorites rose pattern on the top and the Guerlain signature) and, in my opinion, slightly cheap-looking box with a screw top that closes with a "click".

The pan itself is glued to the bottom of the case. When I received it, it was loose though, and I had to press it back on the bottom half. Now it's fine, and the powder is really well-"pressed" and super-solid, for nothing was broken in transit, even with the displaced pan incident.

Another thing is, it is quite bulky and does not come with neither a puff nor a round flat brush. No mirror is to be found either. And I am sure that case could be a tad smaller and/or contain at least one applicator and a mirror. In that sense, it doesn't deliver, I am afraid!

Still, I prefer the compact format to the original golden case with the loose pearls, but it is still something that could be improved.

I seriously thought about removing one or two stars from my rating because of the packaging (if I can say so!), but this powder is so wonderful that, in the end, I thought it would be unfair!

Tha box contains 20 grams of the powder, which seems to be quite long-lasting, since it is so solidly pressed/compacted.

I would buy it again and might, actually, but this time in a different shade!

(Please click "Continued" for a picture of the compact...)

continued >>