Revlon Colorsilk in Brown Black

4.4

on 7/25/2011 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought Revlon's Colorsilk in Brown Black #20 based on reviews I read on MUA; it seemed like the highest-rated/recommended of the three or four major drugstore brands. Actually I originally went in for Dark Brown and finding that they were sold out, settled on this instead.

Years ago I dyed my hair black pretty often, but gave it up because I always picked the darkest jet black and eventually I noticed how much it washed me out. As I'd stopped dyeing completely about a year ago I had virgin hair, and wanted to get a near-black that wouldn't make me look too goth. Due to the suspiciously cheap cost and the fact that this was the hair dye Granny used I had always skipped over it, but I'm really glad I gave the Colorsilk a chance.

My medium-brown hair came out a lovely dark dark chocolate brown, very nearly black but without any of the greenish/bluish tints I was getting from the "midnight black" varieties of other hair dye brands. Even if it lightens somewhat after a few weeks (don't know, will have to see) it'll still be dark enough for me -- it's a near-perfect color match with my Asian friend's natural "black" hair. Holding the box next to my head I got pretty much exactly the same shade as the model in the picture.

The dye itself wasn't too runny, just thinner than most other similar products. While applying the bottle got quite warm but my scalp didn't burn or itch like other dyes I've tried. The conditioner smells strongly of jasmine (that's the floweriness some other reviewers noted) so if you don't like jasmine, be warned. As for my hair texture, after using their conditioner it actually does feel significantly better than pre-coloring and has a pretty awesome shine; no damage in sight! Overall I'm very pleased and would definitely use the same product/shade again in a few months.

Now, I can tell you all how amazing this hair dye is. I used to use this box dye every 2-6 weeks when I used to dye my hair brown/black. My hair look better than ever, and I used to get so many compliments. It never looked "dead" or dry, not even damaged. This stuff is fantastic. I do highly recommend you find a great shampoo/conditioner/deep conditioner while using it, though, because you do want to protect your hair the best you can. And if you use heat stylers, like blowdryers or straighteners, I insist you get a heat protectant for your hair.
And one of the best parts about this stuff is, it's like $2-3. Awesome, right?

on 5/7/2011 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

BEST chemical haircolor ever! I have been switching back and forth between this and henna for years now and have never had a reaction between the two nor an issue with the color burning/drying out my hair. This color is pretty much a perfect match for anyone like me who is asian and has black hair but wants to cover grey without it turning the fake blue black that most haircolors make it. After having my second ever salon color done a couple months ago I can honestly say this is BETTER and I ended up just going back to it.

The only down side is that the conditioner is in a packet and there is not much of it but for $3.75 - who cares.

on 4/16/2011 12:47:00 PM

I dyed my hair deep burgundy twice using this brand, but the color would always fade after just 2-3 washes, which is a shame because I really liked the color I got.

on 4/16/2011 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Definitely my HG haircolor!! And you can't beat the price!! I have super-long hair that is getting gray pretty fast, so my roots show up faster. I just keep my hair the same color and this is the absolute CLOSEST match I've ever found. No nasty smell. Fast and easy to use. Covers grays completely. Because of my Grays I have to do it approximately every 3-4 weeks, but it's worth it and my hair looks totally AWESOME and so naturally and is completely my own natural color. I hope they never stop making this because it is my HG !!!

on 3/22/2011 4:56:00 PM

Okay, I just used the #32, I think it was, Dark Mahogany Brown, which I liked, but I just prefer this shade better. It isn't too dark for me, since my hair has red in it anyway, so this is just a step darker than the above, #32. Prettier though! I have fair skin that is yellowish and hazel eyes. This is the darkest I can go as black is too harsh. I also color my hair LESS when I stick to this shade as it's close to my natural color. NEVER had a problem using this brand. AND I love that there's no stinky fumes with this. I tried Balsam, but couldn't stick with it as the smell was too much, not to mention the color was TOO dark. The shades with Colorsilk are realistic and natural. Because I have a thyroid problem, I've lost most of my eyebrows. I now can fill them in with a slightly darker pencil and they finally look natural! With lighter hair shades, I seem to go light on the eyebrows and they never look natural. Anyway, GREAT stuff and an amazingly cheap price! I agree, it DOES fade, but it turns into what I had expected of #32: A dark reddish brown.

on 1/18/2011 9:32:00 AM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I have tried Natural Instincts Ebony Mocha looking for a nice dark color with a brown kick to it. It's a great color, but it started to leave a waxy build up on my hair so I started looking at other brands. I decided to give Colorsilk Brown/Black a try. I'm SO glad that I did. I left it on for 25 min. I have some greys and this had no trouble covering them. The conditioner felt like silk on my hair and rinsed out nicely. The only issue is, it comes in a little packet and I'd like to have a tube of this.

My hair came out looking gorgeous. A very dark deep brown black. In the light it is sooo pretty too. I suggest this color to anyone who is not afraid to go dark or is looking for a shade that has a warm brown kick to it.

on 12/3/2010 8:15:00 AM

HG hair color! I'm an NW 15/20 with blue eyes, and I had wanted to go dark for so long, hoping to make my blue eyes and porcelain skin pop (think Megan Fox) but I was afraid of looking like Morticia Addams instead, So instead of straight black I opted for the Colorsilk 20 Brown/Black. PERFECTION. Deep, dark, near-black but with just a touch of multitonal brown/copper depth to keep the color from being too harsh. I also did my brows (I know you're not supposed to, but I just carefully swiped on with a qtip, left for five minutes and removed with a wet washcloth), and and my eyes have never looked bluer. I wish I had discovered this color years ago! All for five bucks a box! The only reason I gave four stars instead of five is I only colored this week and I don't yet know how the color will hold. But heck, for the price I don't even mind coloring every four weeks if I have to. I have fairly long hair (to the bottom of my shoulder blades) and one box was enough for my entire head)
The only minor complaints, like others have noted, is that the conditioner packet is skimpy and the gloves aren't that great. If you're coloring on the regular, just buy a big box of vinyl or nitrile gloves (Not latex, they will get brittle over time and will get porous and yucky if they come in contact with any vaseline/lotion/conditioner when you wear them). It will last forever and you'll be a much happier camper anyway, no matter what brand color you use.

I started using this a year ago, I've been searching for the perfect black dye since i was 13 (my hair is naturally a light brown colour). back in my teenage years i did use some harsher black shades because i was going through a "goth" phase, but when i wanted my hair colour to look like a more natural black this seems to be the perfect shade for me. It leaves my hair very soft after i use it, and leaves my hair with a bit of a brownish red sheen to it in the sunlight. I love this hair dye, it's usually on sale at CVS, but if not it's usually $4 a box, not bad at all Revlon!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using this product for about 6 or 7 years. I have dark brown hair but every now and then scattered throughout is a white blond single strand. I used to get made fun of in school because people said it looked like I had gray hair so I resorted to dying it. I love this dye. I have used herbal essences, garnier... just about every drugstore box dye but i always come back to this one. My hair is very thick and half way down my back. I use 2 boxes to dye mine. I think most people could get away with one. I use the color Brown Black and it gives me great results. It does look super black for the first few days but after that fades down some to look perfect. I also really like the conditioner that comes with it. It works awesome. I use both whole packs on my hair after I dye it to get it nice and soft.

The only complaints I have are 1.) The gloves that come with it suck so I use my own. and 2)It seriously takes forever to rinse out. Other than that it is wonderful and a lot more affordable than having to buy two boxes or 7-10$ dyes. I recommend this to anyone who wants to go darker.

The only thing I have to say about the other shades are that 1) if it says golden _____ like golden brown, golden blonde etc it will most definitely come out very orange or reddish in my experience and 2.) if you are trying to go lighter this will not do it. It is ammonia free and will not lift the color from your hair well. Always go to a salon if you are trying to go lighter. At least that is my experience. Hope this helps!

Popular Hair Color Products