November 21, 2014 | 1793 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Brown Black

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2011 4:56:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Okay, I just used the #32, I think it was, Dark Mahogany Brown, which I liked, but I just prefer this shade better. It isn't too dark for me, since my hair has red in it anyway, so this is just a step darker than the above, #32. Prettier though! I have fair skin that is yellowish and hazel eyes. This is the darkest I can go as black is too harsh. I also color my hair LESS when I stick to this shade as it's close to my natural color. NEVER had a problem using this brand. AND I love that there's no stinky fumes with this. I tried Balsam, but couldn't stick with it as the smell was too much, not to mention the color was TOO dark. The shades with Colorsilk are realistic and natural. Because I have a thyroid problem, I've lost most of my eyebrows. I now can fill them in with a slightly darker pencil and they finally look natural! With lighter hair shades, I seem to go light on the eyebrows and they never look natural. Anyway, GREAT stuff and an amazingly cheap price! I agree, it DOES fade, but it turns into what I had expected of #32: A dark reddish brown.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2011 9:32:00 AM More reviews by heartsp1986

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have tried Natural Instincts Ebony Mocha looking for a nice dark color with a brown kick to it. It's a great color, but it started to leave a waxy build up on my hair so I started looking at other brands. I decided to give Colorsilk Brown/Black a try. I'm SO glad that I did. I left it on for 25 min. I have some greys and this had no trouble covering them. The conditioner felt like silk on my hair and rinsed out nicely. The only issue is, it comes in a little packet and I'd like to have a tube of this.

My hair came out looking gorgeous. A very dark deep brown black. In the light it is sooo pretty too. I suggest this color to anyone who is not afraid to go dark or is looking for a shade that has a warm brown kick to it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2010 8:15:00 AM More reviews by erinelaine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

HG hair color! I'm an NW 15/20 with blue eyes, and I had wanted to go dark for so long, hoping to make my blue eyes and porcelain skin pop (think Megan Fox) but I was afraid of looking like Morticia Addams instead, So instead of straight black I opted for the Colorsilk 20 Brown/Black. PERFECTION. Deep, dark, near-black but with just a touch of multitonal brown/copper depth to keep the color from being too harsh. I also did my brows (I know you're not supposed to, but I just carefully swiped on with a qtip, left for five minutes and removed with a wet washcloth), and and my eyes have never looked bluer. I wish I had discovered this color years ago! All for five bucks a box! The only reason I gave four stars instead of five is I only colored this week and I don't yet know how the color will hold. But heck, for the price I don't even mind coloring every four weeks if I have to. I have fairly long hair (to the bottom of my shoulder blades) and one box was enough for my entire head)
The only minor complaints, like others have noted, is that the conditioner packet is skimpy and the gloves aren't that great. If you're coloring on the regular, just buy a big box of vinyl or nitrile gloves (Not latex, they will get brittle over time and will get porous and yucky if they come in contact with any vaseline/lotion/conditioner when you wear them). It will last forever and you'll be a much happier camper anyway, no matter what brand color you use.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2010 6:23:00 PM More reviews by MademoiselleLillie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I started using this a year ago, I've been searching for the perfect black dye since i was 13 (my hair is naturally a light brown colour). back in my teenage years i did use some harsher black shades because i was going through a "goth" phase, but when i wanted my hair colour to look like a more natural black this seems to be the perfect shade for me. It leaves my hair very soft after i use it, and leaves my hair with a bit of a brownish red sheen to it in the sunlight. I love this hair dye, it's usually on sale at CVS, but if not it's usually $4 a box, not bad at all Revlon!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2010 6:50:00 AM More reviews by ericaleigh777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for about 6 or 7 years. I have dark brown hair but every now and then scattered throughout is a white blond single strand. I used to get made fun of in school because people said it looked like I had gray hair so I resorted to dying it. I love this dye. I have used herbal essences, garnier... just about every drugstore box dye but i always come back to this one. My hair is very thick and half way down my back. I use 2 boxes to dye mine. I think most people could get away with one. I use the color Brown Black and it gives me great results. It does look super black for the first few days but after that fades down some to look perfect. I also really like the conditioner that comes with it. It works awesome. I use both whole packs on my hair after I dye it to get it nice and soft.

The only complaints I have are 1.) The gloves that come with it suck so I use my own. and 2)It seriously takes forever to rinse out. Other than that it is wonderful and a lot more affordable than having to buy two boxes or 7-10$ dyes. I recommend this to anyone who wants to go darker.

The only thing I have to say about the other shades are that 1) if it says golden _____ like golden brown, golden blonde etc it will most definitely come out very orange or reddish in my experience and 2.) if you are trying to go lighter this will not do it. It is ammonia free and will not lift the color from your hair well. Always go to a salon if you are trying to go lighter. At least that is my experience. Hope this helps!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2010 4:24:00 PM More reviews by pishtosh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up on my last trip to the States for under 3 dollars. I had read the good reviews and was excited to try it -- I'd been using Garnier Nutrisse, which I was happy with but it faded a bit too fast. Sorry to tarnish this product's rating, but I'm not a fan. Initially, it was great; after colouring, my hair was soft, the shade looked great, etc. But it's not even two weeks later and my hair looks really dull - back to its original shade (medium brown) and feels dry. I'd even been washing my hair less and using color-safe products, so yeah. It's cheap, but if it doesn't last even a couple of weeks, it doesn't matter; not worth the hassle of dying my hair. Going back to Garnier.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2009 12:01:00 AM More reviews by LoliLove

I used to be a big hair color snob, first I would only go to the salon.. that got too expensive, then I tried at home kits that did bad bad things to my hair, I let my hair grow out for a whole year and tried ColorSilk on a whim and LOVE it, I've been using Brown Black for over a year now and I love the way it colors my hair. It gets every spot evenly and even though I'm a natural redhead this color actually grabs onto my hair and doesn't wash right out like Garnier, herbal essences and other ALWAYS do. This is HG hairdye, and for $2.50 a pop it can't be beat.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2009 2:28:00 AM More reviews by RockNRollRylty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This color is gorgeous! I LOVE this very dark, almost black shade on me. It doesn't make me look washed out! Like all hair dye, it will visibly run in the shower. This only runs very lightly for two or three washes (unlike all of the other brands I have tried that will run blue or purple for months at a time!!!!) This is a HUGE advantage for me as this won't ruin my towels! Unlike other Colorsilk shades I've tried, this one has amazing staying power!!!! I will continue to buy this shade and recommend it to anyone! Brown Black is just gorgeous!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2009 3:57:00 AM More reviews by squirrelette

I am a natural dark brunette and have been home colouring my previously high-lighted hair back to brunette for about a year.
I used this product for the first time today and I am seriously impressed, the product spreads well, doesn't smell bad and has left me hair feeling healthy and a beautiful glossy even colour. Its actually a little darker than I had anticipated, it is really close to the boarder between brown and black, and for me more on the black side but I always go a little darker initially as the colours tend to lift very quickly on my hair.
I will definitley re buy this when I next dye my hair, normally about every 3 months, I am so happy I have discovered it :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2009 11:03:00 PM More reviews by Berriesbing

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was skecptical of this product, because the price was dirt cheap, usually I get my hair dyed at a salon, but I decided to try it. I was not dissappointed, the color coverage was fatastic.

The only problem I have with this dye is that it is really runny, and be sure to rinse it out of your hair REALLY well.

P.S. I went to my salon two weeks later, and my stylist loved my hair color and started talking to everyone about it. :)