Clairol Natural Instincts in 28 Nutmeg Dark Brown

4.3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My natural hair color is a medium-dark brown (think milk chocolate). However, the outer layer was lightened ever so slightly from hard water, the environment, damage, etc. and so I wanted to make my hair look more uniform (a healthier look) and darker, because it reflects light better and compliments my naturally fairer skin tone. I made sure to research Clairol NI before buying it because I wanted a gentle dye. Knowing that the color really does run darker than it does on the box, I chose nutmeg and I'm oh-so happy with the results! My hair was actually pretty healthy to begin with, and it doesn't feel like there was any noticeable damage done. When I first stepped out of the shower, it looked almost black, but when looking at it under the light there was an obvious dark brown. I've shampooed with a sulfate-free shampoo once more since dying it and a bit more dye came out in the shower, and it doesn't look as severe. This is just what I wanted. It's gorgeous. It makes me think of espresso and hot fudge and all things delicious. This shade is perfect because it's a neutral brown, so it doesn't matter if you're warm or cool-toned, and it looks very natural. This was $7-something at Target and I had a $2 off coupon, so I am definitely happy with this product!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

My hair before using this dye: Virgin, light golden brown, thick, wavy/curly, just short of middle back length.

Prior to using this, I had never had my hair processed in any way and was scared to death. I wanted to go darker and had read so many magazines, articles, and reviews saying that given my hair type, color, and desired results, that I should save some money and do it myself.

I bought 2 boxes just in case. I only needed one to completely cover my hair. The process was easy, but I did end up missing a small section in the back underneath which I found out after drying. It isn't noticeable, so I didn't go through the trouble of trying to fix it. The conditioner leaves my hair feeling really soft, even still weeks later. The day before I dyed, I washed with a clarifying shampoo then blow dried straight so it would be easier to put the dye evenly on my hair.

It's been 3 wks exactly since I dyed. The color has faded out a tad, but it's still pretty dark. The color came out as a dark chocolate brown and it looks great with my yellow medium toned skin (I think NC37?). I will use the other box in a couple of wks.

10 days since orig rev, 30 days since dyeing::Noticeably fading out now. Still dark though. The ends are fading faster than the roots, but it's all fading. Still happy with the results and original review.

:::Original Dye: October 31, 2010. Now Feb 9, 2011:::
Still hasn't faded completely out. My roots are growing out and since they're a lot lighter, it's noticeable. Thinking about dyeing just one more time before the warm weather hits.

This is a really gorgeous color. It's a perfect glossy, deep, rich chocolate brown. Definitely NOT black, I look like walking death with black hair, which I have accidently done to myself before, and it's a hideous sight that has me running to the hair salon for a color correction. This is so not that. It's the perfect shade of dark chocolate brown that I have been searching for, and I love it. I think it's a bit more damaging than they claim, but not too bad, and I love the conditioner that comes with it. The gloves are nice, too. I will definitely repurchase Nutmeg again and again.

I bought this product and this particular shade based off of the reviews here on MUA. My hair was previously virgin and a light golden brown; there was nothing wrong with it, but I was just tired of looking the same. So I decided to color.
I chose an at-home color based off of my lack of money for a salon color. I'd dyed my own hair once before, and it didn't turn out too well, but I figured I would try again.
I loved the easy mixing and clear instructions. I'm the kind of person who reads the entire leaflet twice and then re-checks the instructions every step along the way to make sure I'm doing it right, so I found the simple instructions and diagrams reassuring. I also was comforted by the fact that this dye is demi-permanent and will wash out in about a month.
I spent about 20 minutes saturating my shoulder-length damp hair with dye, then waited 10 minutes for it to set, then finally hopped in the shower to rinse it out. I was a little appalled at how dry my hair felt post-color, but the conditioner that came with the dye is great and restored moisture. I then proceeded to blow-dry my hair to check the results: unfortunately, I had completely missed several spots so I re-did the entire procedure. After blow-drying for the second time I decided I was satisfied. The color is not uniform but it looks more natural to me that way; you can tell that the ends of my hair are somewhat lighter than the roots.
After some deliberation and staring at myself in the mirror in every kind of lighting, I've decided that I'm not a fan of the color. Something about it just looks off with my skin tone, which I would describe as beige with yellow undertones. I think the final color might be skewed because of my natural color kind of showing through, and if I were to color again over top of this color I think the result would be darker and less... whatever it is right now. I've also decided that I hate dyeing my hair at home. After I finished blow-drying my hair the second time I realized I dripped dye on the rug in the bathroom and splattered it all over the white door and cream-colored walls. Oops. I then spent several frantic minutes with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser trying to clean up the mess before it became permanent. I admit to being rather incompetent in the home-coloring department, but that mess plus the double process plus the final color has put me off of home coloring. I will patiently wait for the color to fade (and cross my fingers that it actually does!), and if I choose to change up my look again in the future I will take my cheap butt to the salon and suck it up.
UPDATE 21/9/10: So much for Clairol's "no roots" claim. This product has adhered itself to my hair and refuses to fade out. Looks like I'll have to grow it out.

Used this for the first time. Love it! I have been spending $200 on salon color that really only lasts about a month so I figured why not try it at home? The finished product looks identical to the salon product and for $6 and only 10-15 minutes of my time, what is not to love. The nutmeg color is a rich dark brown, and my hair was left shiny and soft.Note: I left the mixture on for 12 minutes and put it on dry hair, not damp as recommended by the package.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The model on this box really makes you want to go BLAH, but the color is a nice rich dark brown. It's so lovely and will make you regret all the money you fork out for salons to dye your hair a nice dark rich brown. I prefer ebony mocha shade to this one, but if they are out of ebony mocha, I grab the nutmeg.

I love how its non damaging. It makes your hair feel so soft and shiny. I seriously love Clairol NI, they never fail me!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I read the comments on this when I was trying to decide whether or not I would try this color. I have always used the Natural Instincts 20 which is medium brown hazelnut but I have wanted a dye with a slight tint of red to it and I wanted it to be darker as well. Im really happy with the way my hair turned out it is a very dark brown but in the sunlight there is a little bit of a reflection of red. If I had to compare it to a celeb. hair color I would prob. say its like Sophia Bush's (from one tree hill). I am really happy with the way it turned out, I left it on for a little longer than the recommended time though because I wanted it darker. And instead of getting my hair wet I just sprayed it with a water bottle to get it misted that way when I was dying it I could tell which parts I had already covered and what not. Bottom line I would def. recommend it to my friends (and already have) and I will continue to use this shade!

-but buyer beware, the color it turns out is NOT what the model on the box's shade is it is alot darker.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have been using Nutmeg on my hair for a couple of years now and love it! I have quite a bit of gray, but it covers them very well for a semi-permanent color. I do have to leave it on a little longer than the directions recommend and also find that it colors my grays better when applied to dry rather than damp hair (directions say to apply to damp hair. Strange.)
The color is a very natural looking dark brown that I really love. My hair tends to pull up red when colored, and after trying several drugstore brands, this is the only one that did not turn reddish.
This is also the only color that didn't leave my hair a dry pile of dull looking hay. It is always shiny, soft, and in very good condition.
I will continue using NI until it does not cover my grays anymore, which I hope will never happen! :)

This product is fantastic!!! Very happy with the deep brown results that evened out my last botched hair colouring disaster. I was surprised that my dry & damaged hair looked and felt better after too. Very happy and will repurchase!

This is my holy grail hair color. Once a month I put this in, and while it doesn't seem to cover my grays completely, it blends them in well, and it leaves my hair looking shiny and rich rather than damaged.

Top Rated Clairol Products