September 23, 2014 | 1794 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Dark Brown

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 3:05:00 AM More reviews by Rebecca753

I just tried this for the first time, and I want all my money back that I've wasted on Feria, and other, more expensive dyes. This is great. I'm wearing my hair shorter now, at about ear/chin length. Any longer and I'd need two boxes, but even two boxes are cheaper than one box of Feria or Olia. I will definitely repurchase. It has only been a few days, so I don't know how it fades, but at this price, I can touch up more often. The color is natural and neutral, it is very dark without looking black. I've used Feria in Espresso and Olia 4.0 and this blends nicely into those. I can't believe this has been right there on the shelf all this time and I never bought it because it looks "old" and unsexy. This is great, what a great find.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Carbonara2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this dye.

So here's the scoop. I love dark hair but every once a while I get the urge to go a little bit lighter. So in January I paid $216 to get balayage highlights! I specifically told my colorist the LAST thing I wanted was reddish, brassy, warm highlights and of course that is exactly what I ended up with.

After 2 months, I couldn't take it anymore so I decided I wanted to keep the lightness but cool it down with a ashy, cool-based light brown dye. The dye worked temporarily but after a few washings to ended up with what I refer to as "dishwater" blonde and that is when I had enough. F the blonde- I want beautiful dark hair.

So of course I came to MUA and read all the wonderful reviews on Colorsilk's Dark Brown. I'm a pretty light- skinned caucasian so my main concern was the dye coming out too dark, essentially black, like the other reviews stated. Not wanting the roots to get too dark I started at the ends and worked my way up. I left the dye in for approx. 20 mins total and viola the perfect color for me. The result was a very dark brown without going black- think chocolate brown with extremely slight redness to combat the harshness of a black hue.

I'm extremely happy with the results. Best of all, I got 2 boxes at Target for $4 with coupons!!! The dye barely smelled, the initial washing left almost no dye residue on a white towel AND the conditioner smelled awesome. I will never spend $100s of dollars at the salon again!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by lapislazuli17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really love Revlon's Colorsilk dyes, and have actually used the dark brown. I dye my hair every so often when I'm bored of the color (I'm back to my natural light brown), and when I was dyeing my hair dark brown I really liked this color. But, with any dark color, I noticed that after I thoroughly rinsed and shampooed my hair, the next wash showed that the color was bleeding and rinsing from my hair. This product does heavily saturate your hair, and the bleeding makes the color fade faster. But their lighter shades of brown don't bleed. So I really enjoy dark brown hair, but the dye bleeding even after a thorough rinse and shampooing was a bit disappointing. Otherwise, I love Revlon dyes because they have such cheap prices for fair quality.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 5:57:00 AM More reviews by kerrinastgermain

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've had hair color in salons, then Loreal for years. I've always been skeptical of Revlon...I have an autoimmune disease and had to avoid hair color altogether for years, but I found I felt worse! I tried to avoid ammonia, but Loreal changed their great ammonia-free product to a foam product. I loved that product, but only at first. The foam did not cover my roots, and it was a deposit color, so it was difficult to not over-color. I was afraid the same would be true with this one, but I am so surprised. It was gentle, with odor, yes, and a slight burning, but nothing like the Loreal products! The color went on, and felt somewhat like a deposited color, but a week later, my hair feels glossy after five or so shampoos, and the color is still wonderful. I am so impressed, I can't believe I didn't try it before. My immune system approves, too. I have long hair, four inches below my shoulders, and I bought two boxes, but only needed one. I loved the conditioner, but wish they include a tube. I am already thinking about what to do about the conditioner in the future. I am going to substitute with a good quality conditioner, but not sure which one. The box lies about the product within, it's a much better product than the packaging leads you to believe. So, the conditioner and package the only true weak spots for me. The rest is fabulous. Thanks!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by shinyjem

I was really worried that I would end up with black hair after reading all the reviews on this colour, but I decided to take the risk & do it anyway & I'm so glad I did. It turned out exactly the colour on the box :) I followed the instructions exactly, applying it to my roots first for 20 mins, then working it through the lengths and leaving that for 5 mins. My hair felt pretty dry when I was rinsing the colour out, but then I towel dried my hair, combed out the knots and applied the conditioner , leaving it about 10 minutes. It was really silky once I rinsed the conditioner out. The only thing I don't like about this colour is the amount of conditioner it comes with- only one application. My hair is just below shoulder length and I had just enough to coat it properly. If my hair was longer I wouldn't have had enough. Over all, this is an excellent colour that performs just as well as Loreal excellence creme, which I was using previously. It's way cheaper than loreal so I will be buying this from now on!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2013 1:30:00 PM More reviews by SavvyChic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used this for a few months and kept seeing black in the ends of my hair and it wouldn't lighten or fade ever. I had tried leaving it on my roots only to get my hair to match up, but this color didn't darken my root area as much. I had to get some 20 developer and some bleaching powder from a beauty supply store and lighten it to remove it. Later I used the dark brown 4N by John Frieda and it came out more how I had hoped this shade would look. My ends weren't damaged either, just absorbed the black in this shade.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2012 12:20:00 AM More reviews by voguebeauty

I had fallen in love with the ombre trend and decided to lighten my dark brown hair. Biggest mistake ever.
My at home bleach job turned out horrid, and it damaged my hair incredibly. For the past two weeks i had been trying to cover up the gross color that i was left with.
It was very brassy, almost orange.
The first time i used this color was a few years ago, it turned my dark brown hair black so i was a bit skeptical about using it. I decided it to give it another shot. Although i wish the color wouldn't have turned out so dark, it got rid of the disgusting color i had, and the dark color has made my hair look a lot less damaged. It looks a very deep, dark brown. A little darker than on the box. Hopefully with a few washes itll lighten up.

Def recommended for a quick fix up on a bad bleach job.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 10:21:00 AM More reviews by elocinmarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely the best at home hair color there is. I've been every color under the sun and ALWAYS come back to this color. It's so rich and beautiful and covers almost all other box dyes with ease. Not to mention is so inexpensive so money is never an issue. Not only is it cheap, but it leaves my hair in amazing condition verses even the most expensive brands. Most recently, my hair was very bright red and I was afraid of not being able to cover without stripping or bleaching. This did the trick. Of course, there's still red hues due to how bold the red was before but it turned out as a really nice rich, warm brown that only looks reddish in the sunlight.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2012 7:46:00 AM More reviews by alaras

Looking at the reviews, I bought this from Ebay, so it didn't come very cheap, but it's not available in the UK. I thought the L'oreal ones are not really permanent, and this would last longer. It does last a bit longer than L'oreal. But the result of this is matte and a bit dryer. Initially covered the gray hair strands better than L'oreal. But after 3rd wash, it's gone. It didn't smell bad at all, in fact it's much better than L'oreal hairdyes. I kept it for 25 minutes. Despite my base being rather dark (medium brown), it didn't turn pitch black and I doubt it would turn pitch black unless your hair is kind of Espresso dark. There were no gloves in my box. I wouldn't buy this again. L'oreal has a shinier finish and it doesn't feel so dry as it fades.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by jdaniels3

When I saw this product on the shelf, I was hesitant to buy it at first. It was really cheap compared to other brands. I dyed my hair darker a couple of weeks ago but it was a semipermanent type so I wanted a permanent equivalent. Yes, the packaging and gloves look pretty cheap but that doesn't matter to me. The smell wasn't unbearable but it was more noticeable than the dye I previously used. I left the dye on for 25 minutes as directed. As I was washing the dye out, I noticed the color running was a shade of purpley/black. It worried me because I did not want purple nor black hair. As soon as I dried it, my worries vanished. It is a rich, dark chocolate brown. My hair is shiny and not brassy at all. I am 100% satisfied and will definitely buy this again.