Jane Iredale Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscreen

4.1

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 15% Ingredients: Mica (CI 77019), Montmorillonite, Boron Nitride, Isopropyl Jojobate, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

on 8/13/2009 10:27:00 PM

After reading the reviews, I thought this would be a good product to work with the Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Foundation that I use (and love) that also has a sunscreen, but does not do a great job of absorbing oil. So I got this as an additional sunscreen/powder (as reviews stated that this is also mattifying). Also, per the reviews, it sounded like the Light was too light on many people, even those that were fair, so I ordered the tan as I'm a fairly medium complexion in the summer, even with daily use of sunscreen. Unfortunately, the tan is VERY ORANGE. It looks like I used a really bad self tanner that turned my face orange like they did years ago when they first came out. So, I'm mixing it with the Jane Iredale Amazing Matte loose powder, which I'm certain is really diluting the strength of the sunscreen, but at nearly $50, I'm determined to use this up! As a side note, I apply this with a brush (the sponge would not work well with oily skin) and I seem to inhale this more than any other loose powder I've ever used, no matter how carefully I try to apply it. It just seems to create a cloud. I think this would probably be a great product if Jane Iredale decides to expand the range of colors available. EDIT: I just ordered the translucent version and it's REALLY light and made my face look very pale and colorless. ATTENTION JANE IREDALE: like the product, please work on your two sunscreen colors.

on 8/9/2009 12:54:00 AM

This is a great product which doubles up as a mattifying/base powder. The only thing that irks me is that it messes up my concealer by toning down its coverage. But I guess that would be asking too much of this product as it is meant to be a sunscreen only.

Update:
We are no longer friends. During the rare times that I do use this product, i unscrew the cap and apply the powder with a brush. I use a liquid sunblock instead now.

on 8/6/2009 2:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This stuff is amazing! I usually use it over regular sunscreen on my face to get rid of the shine. It's expensive, but will last a long time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

EDIT: I think that my skin has become very dry recently and this isn't helping it either retain moisture or look healthy. I just can't use powder anymore. But if you have dewy skin naturally, this may be a good choice.
I also just read on EWG's website that powdered titanium and zinc are unhealthy when inhaled.

Old review: Aside from the dispenser (which is annoying, but replaceable), I love this powder! I apply powder anyway, to matte-ify my oily skin (which perspires easily), so I might as well be getting spf 30 in the process! This powder is light, elegant, finely milled, and only slightly lighter than my skin color, but basically translucent.
I just transferred some of the powder to a mineral powder sifter, and Voila'! It hasn't caused me any break-outs (knock on wood!) and I've been using it long enough to evaluate. Also, it should last a loong time, considering how much is in the container.
I do wish that it were Zinc instead of Titanium, but Oh well.
Highly recommended!

on 4/11/2009 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I adore this product. I trust JI mineral powders and this power spf certainly did not disappoint. I break out like crazy and this has not clogged my pores, changed the color of mineral powder base, or not let my skin breathe the way many sunscreens and powders can. I can wear it on a super hot day and it holds up under a good sweat too. The only thing I don't like is the packaging because the puff can harbor tons of bacteria. So I just twist off the cap and dip my brush in to use instead.

on 4/6/2009 12:52:00 PM

This is the best product! I was so excited to find it last Summer. I use the tinted and it gives me a touch of colour. I use it over my Make-up and then use it throughout the day. Here is a tip though...don't use the sponge to apply it. Use a face brush. It works much better and I have never had such great protection from the sun. I carry mine in BE containers and use it like face powder. It also works to keep your skin fresh and oil free.

on 3/20/2009 10:40:00 PM

This is the best product ever! I found it last Summer and have been using the tinted on my face every day. I have tons left and have some at work and some at home. I use it under my makeup and then as a blush. During the day I put it on to absorb oil and block out the sun. The great thing is that it works right away and feels wonderful. I was recently on a sailing trip and was wind burned. I put this on and followed with Smashbox Halo and looked ready to go out! The burn was gone. I love this product! I don't use the applicator though. I use my Bare Escentuals Full Coverage brush. A Kabuki works well too. Dermatologists have been recommending Jane Iredale for years! This stuff really works. You don't have to put a ton on. You should just re-apply when you are out in the sun as you should any sunblock.

on 2/18/2009 12:07:00 PM

So far so good on these...I bought both the trans and the tan and mix them to get the right shade for me. I use a brush to apply. You CAN see where it is, so you dont miss any spots. Not drying even though it is a powder. I like it!!

on 2/12/2009 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Well I'm on a roll finally. Another sunscreen that works for me with no irritation, itching or breakouts on my dry rosacea skin. And even though a powder not drying either.

It comes in 2 colors: transparent and tan. I bought transparent but it does leave a slight white cast so thinking of buying tan to mix together for TM look. Super easy to apply with the sponge on powder canister setup but attached puff may not look so good after cleaning(haven't removed and cleaned yet so can't say).

Have used under a liquid and cream foundation and face looked great until I took off makeup at 10 pm.

Kicks ass compared to other powder sunscreens I've tried by Colorscience, BE and Glow. Those felt and looked dry on my dryish skin.

Hefty price tag at $50 but it doesn't take much to cover my face and I can see where I've applied which is nice.

Here are ingredients and instructions from JI website.

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide. Ingredients: Mica, Montmorillonite, Boron Nitride, Isopropyl Jojobate, Pomegranate Extract. May contain: Iron Oxides.

Use on the face and body for women, men and children. It doesn't run and starts working immediately to give UVB/UVA SPF 30 protection.

Translucent disappears on the skin. Tanned adds a golden bronze, perfect for the legs and arms.

The sponge cap is easily removed and can be washed. Replace when it's dry.

For the best results, layer the lightweight powder over moisturized skin. This will help the powder to adhere to the skin more effectively.
Lift off the top and unscrew the applicator.
Remove the safety seal.
Replace the applicator and shake product through the sponge.
Dab on the powder and then smooth with the sponge.

on 1/17/2009 11:00:00 PM

MUST BUY - This would have to be the single most stand out product I have ever bought and I have bought thousands of products over the last 25+ years. This is versatile, convenient and a genious product that will go with me everywhere every day. I have been wearing the translucent over my favorite tinted moist (Laura Mercier oil-free) and current favorite foundation (YSL Perfect Touch). Apart from the SPF30, which is a minimum for most of our faces these days, this leaves my skin feeling like nothing else has been added but improving the appearance of my complexion to looking almost as smooth as a babys bottom!!!

Not a huge fan of JI (have been testing her products over the last 6 months) but this one is a slam dunk.

The packaging is not perfect but innovative and it works for me. I do like to put some on the JI retractable brush and pop in my bag for touch ups. I have used other retractables but this one is very good and I highly recommend.

Edit 3/29/09: Took 2 lippies off as the little foam cover that goes over the sponge split as I was washing it very gently for the first time. I called JI directly as the people I purchased it from would not help me. It was an effort to finally get in contact with someone at JI but eventually did and the girl offered to send me a whole brand new container which I received about a week later.

Also discovered that I cannot wear this over my chest as the pomegrante in it irritates the mild rosacea I have.

Edit 4/15/09 - OK giving back a lippie to rate at a 4 because I went to the beach the other day and this worked exceptionally well and is now my HG face product for the beach!

Top Rated Jane Iredale Products