November 27, 2014 | 1178 users online

Sunscreen - Jane Iredale - Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscreen

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2009 2:12:00 AM More reviews by kxxb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff is amazing! I usually use it over regular sunscreen on my face to get rid of the shine. It's expensive, but will last a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2009 12:17:00 AM More reviews by FunnyValentine

EDIT: I think that my skin has become very dry recently and this isn't helping it either retain moisture or look healthy. I just can't use powder anymore. But if you have dewy skin naturally, this may be a good choice.
I also just read on EWG's website that powdered titanium and zinc are unhealthy when inhaled.

Old review: Aside from the dispenser (which is annoying, but replaceable), I love this powder! I apply powder anyway, to matte-ify my oily skin (which perspires easily), so I might as well be getting spf 30 in the process! This powder is light, elegant, finely milled, and only slightly lighter than my skin color, but basically translucent.
I just transferred some of the powder to a mineral powder sifter, and Voila'! It hasn't caused me any break-outs (knock on wood!) and I've been using it long enough to evaluate. Also, it should last a loong time, considering how much is in the container.
I do wish that it were Zinc instead of Titanium, but Oh well.
Highly recommended!
Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 15% Ingredients: Mica (CI 77019), Montmorillonite, Boron Nitride, Isopropyl Jojobate, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2009 12:15:00 AM More reviews by ghoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I adore this product. I trust JI mineral powders and this power spf certainly did not disappoint. I break out like crazy and this has not clogged my pores, changed the color of mineral powder base, or not let my skin breathe the way many sunscreens and powders can. I can wear it on a super hot day and it holds up under a good sweat too. The only thing I don't like is the packaging because the puff can harbor tons of bacteria. So I just twist off the cap and dip my brush in to use instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2009 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Joanna09

This is the best product! I was so excited to find it last Summer. I use the tinted and it gives me a touch of colour. I use it over my Make-up and then use it throughout the day. Here is a tip though...don't use the sponge to apply it. Use a face brush. It works much better and I have never had such great protection from the sun. I carry mine in BE containers and use it like face powder. It also works to keep your skin fresh and oil free.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2009 10:40:00 PM More reviews by ReggieJackson

This is the best product ever! I found it last Summer and have been using the tinted on my face every day. I have tons left and have some at work and some at home. I use it under my makeup and then as a blush. During the day I put it on to absorb oil and block out the sun. The great thing is that it works right away and feels wonderful. I was recently on a sailing trip and was wind burned. I put this on and followed with Smashbox Halo and looked ready to go out! The burn was gone. I love this product! I don't use the applicator though. I use my Bare Escentuals Full Coverage brush. A Kabuki works well too. Dermatologists have been recommending Jane Iredale for years! This stuff really works. You don't have to put a ton on. You should just re-apply when you are out in the sun as you should any sunblock.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2009 12:07:00 PM More reviews by ShayFL

So far so good on these...I bought both the trans and the tan and mix them to get the right shade for me. I use a brush to apply. You CAN see where it is, so you dont miss any spots. Not drying even though it is a powder. I like it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2009 11:20:00 AM More reviews by joy2uandme

Well I'm on a roll finally. Another sunscreen that works for me with no irritation, itching or breakouts on my dry rosacea skin. And even though a powder not drying either.

It comes in 2 colors: transparent and tan. I bought transparent but it does leave a slight white cast so thinking of buying tan to mix together for TM look. Super easy to apply with the sponge on powder canister setup but attached puff may not look so good after cleaning(haven't removed and cleaned yet so can't say).

Have used under a liquid and cream foundation and face looked great until I took off makeup at 10 pm.

Kicks ass compared to other powder sunscreens I've tried by Colorscience, BE and Glow. Those felt and looked dry on my dryish skin.

Hefty price tag at $50 but it doesn't take much to cover my face and I can see where I've applied which is nice.

Here are ingredients and instructions from JI website.

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide. Ingredients: Mica, Montmorillonite, Boron Nitride, Isopropyl Jojobate, Pomegranate Extract. May contain: Iron Oxides.

Use on the face and body for women, men and children. It doesn't run and starts working immediately to give UVB/UVA SPF 30 protection.

Translucent disappears on the skin. Tanned adds a golden bronze, perfect for the legs and arms.

The sponge cap is easily removed and can be washed. Replace when it's dry.

For the best results, layer the lightweight powder over moisturized skin. This will help the powder to adhere to the skin more effectively.
Lift off the top and unscrew the applicator.
Remove the safety seal.
Replace the applicator and shake product through the sponge.
Dab on the powder and then smooth with the sponge.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2009 11:00:00 PM More reviews by anniemcleod

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

MUST BUY - This would have to be the single most stand out product I have ever bought and I have bought thousands of products over the last 25+ years. This is versatile, convenient and a genious product that will go with me everywhere every day. I have been wearing the translucent over my favorite tinted moist (Laura Mercier oil-free) and current favorite foundation (YSL Perfect Touch). Apart from the SPF30, which is a minimum for most of our faces these days, this leaves my skin feeling like nothing else has been added but improving the appearance of my complexion to looking almost as smooth as a babys bottom!!!

Not a huge fan of JI (have been testing her products over the last 6 months) but this one is a slam dunk.

The packaging is not perfect but innovative and it works for me. I do like to put some on the JI retractable brush and pop in my bag for touch ups. I have used other retractables but this one is very good and I highly recommend.

Edit 3/29/09: Took 2 lippies off as the little foam cover that goes over the sponge split as I was washing it very gently for the first time. I called JI directly as the people I purchased it from would not help me. It was an effort to finally get in contact with someone at JI but eventually did and the girl offered to send me a whole brand new container which I received about a week later.

Also discovered that I cannot wear this over my chest as the pomegrante in it irritates the mild rosacea I have.

Edit 4/15/09 - OK giving back a lippie to rate at a 4 because I went to the beach the other day and this worked exceptionally well and is now my HG face product for the beach!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2009 8:37:00 PM More reviews by crackedteacup

I have acne-prone, sensitive, oily skin, and just about every sunscreen I have used has either broken me out, or contributed to my oiliness in some form (full list of what I've tried is on my notepad). I actually gave up on sunscreen a month ago, but talked myself back into the Quest for the HG a week later. Enter this product! It probably is not as effective as a liquid sunscreen because I don't think that it covers surface area as thickly, BUT: it does not break me out. It does not make me oily. It makes a great primer, as my powder foundation (also JI) slides right on top of it, and it keeps my makeup in place throughout the day (and I have long hard days). And since it's a physical sunscreen, I'm pretty sure there's no need to reapply (pls. PM me if that's not the case!) In short, it is exactly what I needed. I use the translucent under 'bisque,' so I can't speak to whether or not it's whitening (because I'm already fair to begin with). I tap it on with the puff thingy and use a powder brush to smooth it out. I'm very happy!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2008 1:51:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Unusual product. It looks like facial powder but the purpose is sunscreen. The powder goes into (=falls into) a center hole in an attached large sponge and you press the whole thing to your face. I have sensitive skin and can't tell yet whether it irritates my skin as I'm using it during an already-existing rosacea flare-up.
The pros: (1) the ingredients look fairly innocent (see a review below for list) so hopefully it won't cause skin problems, (2) the powder goes on decently--I applied it over a light moisturizer and it didn't cake, didn't settle into lines badly, etc.
The cons: (1) Can't tell how thick it must be applied to get the 30 SPF in the title--obviously too many layers would look really powdery, (2) the light color (I got translucent) is a little too light even though I have fair skin--made me look pasty white, (3) didn't seem to stay on for a long time, (4) hard-to-clean sponge: since the sponge is attached to the bottle of powder via a thick ring of sponge that pops out inside the bottle, it must be pulled out for cleaning, then stuffed back in the opening after cleaning--a pain in the neck, (5) the bottle must be tipped in a such a way for the powder to go in the sponge--not sure how well it will work as the bottle empties.

It's pricey ($44) for results that seem iffy in terms of how much coverage you actually get. I wouldn't re-purchase.

Update: Tried using it again after the rosacea flare subsided and it kept burning/irritating my skin although the ingredients looked innocent. Believe it may be the pomegrante extract--per web research, looks like pomegrante extract may contain a very high amount of ellagic acid and according to an MSDS (material safetey datasheet) ellagic acid may cause skin irritation. I took off two more lippies. This product is unusable for me.